Assistant Coach Hotboard

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ByJoveByJingle

Re: Assistant Coach Hotboard

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

There’s a difference between hiring Salavea and hiring Hundley.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Not only is Salave'a a successful and current position coach, he is also the assistant head coach at OU and was at UW too.

That is really a no brainer over Hunley and Cecil. Besides his current high school recruiting ties, he has ties to the Poly community.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ByJoveByJingle wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:09 pm There’s a difference between hiring Salavea and hiring Hundley.
Correct. I can't say I'm sold on Cecil or Hundley, but Salavea has an impressive track record and upwards trajectory.

I'd like him better than Brown as a D/c.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Often success lands on the shoulders of the unlikely.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:33 pm
ByJoveByJingle wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:09 pm There’s a difference between hiring Salavea and hiring Hundley.
Correct. I can't say I'm sold on Cecil or Hundley, but Salavea has an impressive track record and upwards trajectory.

It's Hunley guys.

Carry on.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Spelling doesn't matter on the internet, but If longtime UA football fans can't spell Hunley, how are young prospective athletes going to know who he is?

Dude is 59 years old. Who has the same energy level at 59 than they had at 30, especially when being a football coach is a 60 hour a week job.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Merkin wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:50 pm

Spelling doesn't matter on the internet, but If longtime UA football fans can't spell Hunley, how are young prospective athletes going to know who he is?

Dude is 59 years old. Who has the same energy level at 59 than they had at 30, especially when being a football coach is a 60 hour a week job.
I think I spelled Hunley correctly before, no idea why it came out wrong this time.

Your point is correct, though, in my opinion. Both Hunley and Cecil are far enough removed that their names won't ring bells with recruits. That doesn't mean they're worthless, but it worries you that neither has really stood out at their previous stops.

It's not like Jason Terry, where most recruits probably remember him in the NBA and he's plugged into the Seattle basketball scene.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

azgreg wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:45 pm Often success lands on the shoulders of the unlikely.
Fair enough, I think I'm more concerned that betting on "the unlikely" appears to be Plan A.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:02 pm It's not like Jason Terry, where most recruits probably remember him in the NBA and he's plugged into the Seattle basketball scene.
Reports I have read, maybe from you, is that Terry is extremely focused and devoting a lot of energy and time to the basketball program, and really working the guards hard.

He is 43, and has a net worth of $40M.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

UAEebs86 wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:48 pm

It's Hunley guys.

Carry on.
I don’t take any responsibility for anything. It’s the zeitgeist.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Looks line Hunley is the DL coach
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Merkin wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:05 pm
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:02 pm It's not like Jason Terry, where most recruits probably remember him in the NBA and he's plugged into the Seattle basketball scene.
Reports I have read, maybe from you, is that Terry is extremely focused and devoting a lot of energy and time to the basketball program, and really working the guards hard.

He is 43, and has a net worth of $40M.
Everyone seems to think Terry is fully committed and has a great personality for coaching. I see him like Salavea, he's a guy on the rise.

I mean, Hunley and Cecil could rise, but you figure if they were truly on the rise, they'd have broken through to bigger things a decade or so ago. Quite honestly, I feel the same about Fisch. If he was a rising star, why does the last 10 years of his resume look like it does?
BMalo

Post by BMalo »

Lol'ing at the alleged pre-game speech Cecil gave to the team before the asu game only to lose 70-7
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

BMalo wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:26 pm Lol'ing at the alleged pre-game speech Cecil gave to the team before the asu game only to lose 70-7
I had a vision of him setting up a reel-to-reel projector to show them his INT.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

BMalo wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:26 pm Lol'ing at the alleged pre-game speech Cecil gave to the team before the asu game only to lose 70-7
Depends. If he told them to keep it within 100, we were in danger of not doing that for a bit, but then his words rallied us and we only lost by 63.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Sid

Post by Sid »

So many fantastic father figure type HS coaches throughout the US that players would run through walls for. Plenty are in the late 40’s or much older and sure as fuck know of Hunley & Cecil. A successful high school coach can be one of our greatest assets. We are severely lacking in these relationships, but I’m hopeful this new staff will be relentless in these efforts.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

If the rest of the staff is young, I can see a guy like Hunley or Cecil being the wise, old sage coach that helps get the younger guys on staff through the trials and tribulations of a season. In this vein, these guys might have value. But having both on the staff, with one, Cecil, never have recruited, and Hunley, who hasn't recruited in five years, is a detriment in my opinion. We can afford to have maybe one guy on staff not being a true, tireless recruiter. But two? That's difficult to overcome when you're Arizona, and you need to overturn every rock in AZ, CA, and TX to find the best guys USC, Texas, TAMU, etc. left behind. And as stated before, recruiting takes relationships and ties. Hunley and Cecil don't have any. When Herm was hired at ASu, he took the D-coordinator from SDSU, who already had ties in CA, and also hired Antonio Pierce, a HS coach in L.A., and look how CA recruiting to ASu has improved! It's not by accident.

Basketball coaching is much different than football. Only three basketball coaches on staff, and JET being 3rd Assistant at his alma mater after a long playing career makes sense. Arizona Basketball also doesn't need a staff full of tireless recruiters. It's a brand that normally recruits itself, though certainly, the brand has taken a hit recently. Still, if the one-year post season ban is the only major punishment, we should be back in the tourney next year, with a relatively clean slate, and a solid future ahead of us.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Was Chuck Cecil even offered any scholarships? He was a walk on for Arizona, so may not even know of the recruiting process and what an intense grind it is.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

I really really don’t like the move of Cecil coaching all the DBs. Safeties is fine, but corners too? We’re already saving an assistant spot by having Fisch also be the QBs coach. So I really don’t like this.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

Merkin wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:28 pm Not only is Salave'a a successful and current position coach, he is also the assistant head coach at OU and was at UW too.

That is really a no brainer over Hunley and Cecil. Besides his current high school recruiting ties, he has ties to the Poly community.
Big Joe is a great coach of defensive linemen but in Oregon he is a defensive cocoordinator and I understand doesn't call the defensive plays. His real value is recruiting Polynesians and to keep him there they gave him a couple of titles to get him more money but don't let the titles fool you. There is a reason no one has offered Joe a job as DC.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

tgrumpy2 wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:44 pm
Merkin wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:28 pm Not only is Salave'a a successful and current position coach, he is also the assistant head coach at OU and was at UW too.

Big Joe is a great coach of defensive linemen but in Oregon he is a defensive cocoordinator and I understand doesn't call the defensive plays. His real value is recruiting Polynesians and to keep him there they gave him a couple of titles to get him more money but don't let the titles fool you. There is a reason no one has offered Joe a job as DC.
Is it a similar reason that nobody had ever offered Jed Fisch a head coaching position?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I'd rather have him than a guy who just got fired at Michigan.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

btfd16 wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:30 am
cordera89 wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:35 pm
ChooChooCat wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:44 pm
Chicat wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:22 pm Recruiting is about relationships.

It would be a good move to bring in guys who have those relationships and can turn them into commits.

Or we can hire a bunch of guys who need to start from scratch and are bringing 30+ year old copies of Athlon’s with them to introduce themselves to 17 year olds.
This.

These hires are stupid not because these men are incapable of coaching and motivating players, it’s stupid because the connections to recruit effectively aren’t there and they’re hires to make up solely for Robbins forcing the issue and forcing Jedd Fisch on this university, so to atone for it we have to hire two alums who wouldn’t get a job anywhere else in the country at this level. Yay.
Didn't we do the same shit with RR when he blew up his entire defensive staff and the candidate that were mention in which Hundley and Cecil name were mention at that time. Wasn't that being force upon even thou he didn't hired them but Fisch is willing to bet that. Plus why would these hires be stupid? I mean Cecil and Hundley could easy turn down the job.
Rich Rod was hired in 2012. Hunley was still coaching and Cecil was coaching for an NFL team. It's been 8 years since then lmao.

Edit: Staff was blown up 2015. Hunley still coaching, Cecil still with the Rams
OK by my point is that when he blew up defensive staff that year? Weren't their names being mention as possible candidate before or after the hiring of Marcel Yate and Donte Robinson.

I dont know if you remember it or not because there discussion on considering them on his defensive staff at the point.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ByJoveByJingle wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:30 pm

Is it a similar reason that nobody had ever offered Jed Fisch a head coaching position?

Same with Cecil and Hunley outside of position coaches, besides the one disastrous year by Cecil as DC for the Titans. Yes, they are now position coaches at Arizona, but neither was in demand as position coaches at any level.
AV8RCAT

Post by AV8RCAT »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:09 pm
AV8RCAT wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:42 am God you people. You bitch about alumni being considered for promotions because they are life long position coaches, then bitch about them being hired as position coaches.

News flash: Our program is a giant smoking crater dug during many years of hiring coaches with no love for the community town and program, just a pay check. Were lucky that we have Alumni willing, out of love, to try to come back to try to save this shit hole program.

As far as coaches no other program wanted? Yeah, we are the program no other coaches want.
Or we could have hired Brennan or Niumatalolo who both have effective staffs that could have come with them. Half the issue with this is driven by hiring a HC with no current staff to draw on.

I don't think it's hating on Cecil or Hunley to be apprehensive that Fisch's crack staff is an analyst and a guy out of coaching since 2015. I get liking alums, but this feels so much like Robbins and Fisch using the alum factor as cover for a dearth of actual proven recruiters and coaches.
but we didn't hire those guys, so going forward, desperately trying to right this ship......we have 2 wildcat legends, experienced coaches who have wanted to be here for a long time? That's not worth a try? I don't think we had any alumni on the field during the last decade of defensive suck.

UA should have given them their shot long ago.
AV8RCAT

Post by AV8RCAT »

Some endorsements from 2016

Randy Robbins:
(Hunley) would get kids to come to Arizona that normally wouldn’t consider visiting,” Robbins wrote. “It’s time for Arizona to start playing defense again. No better place to start than having the best defensive player in the schools history on staff in some capacity.”

Jay Dobyns: “Unmatchable history at AZ. Elite coaching experience. Recruit any kid from any environment. Respected in the profession and adored by this community. I can’t name one single person better suited. Good luck.”
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Hunley interviewed for the head coaching position several times, although he was probably never a serious candidate. I imagine a few years ago when they were working, being a position coach at the UA would be a step down. But now they were both out of a job...
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

AV8RCAT wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:20 am Some endorsements from 2016

Randy Robbins:
(Hunley) would get kids to come to Arizona that normally wouldn’t consider visiting,” Robbins wrote. “It’s time for Arizona to start playing defense again. No better place to start than having the best defensive player in the schools history on staff in some capacity.”

Jay Dobyns: “Unmatchable history at AZ. Elite coaching experience. Recruit any kid from any environment. Respected in the profession and adored by this community. I can’t name one single person better suited. Good luck.”
Ok, but I don't think it's crazy to wonder why, if Hunley is all that, he hasn't held a coaching job since 2015.

I think whoever posted that we wouldn't be impressed by either of their resumes one bit if they weren't alums hit the nail on the head. Neither one has a resume that screams "you gotta hire this guy."
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

Arizona will be bad next year. The CB and DL coach will not change that. So, I see the hires being more about getting community support than about recruiting. Maybe also help change the current program attitude. I am expecting both retiring or taking a new role in the program.

As a Seattle fan, I like the Carrol hire.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

For any of you that have been in a position to hire people if you only look at the “resume” then you are not doing your job. There are intangibles that sometimes factor in.

While I get the concern, and it’s certainly understandable given the predicament our FB program is in, I’m not looking at these 2 hires in a vacuum. I don’t think having a few guys on the staff that could possibly invigorate the overall atmosphere including reconnecting with shunned alums and boosters is a bad thing as long as it’s augmented with guys who can recruit, guys that can evaluate talent, guys that are good at X’s and O’s, etc...

I’m holding my opinion until I see the entire coaching staff. If his selections are all a bunch of “reaches” then I will be complaining like many of you are now.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

EastCoastCat wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:39 am For any of you that have been in a position to hire people if you only look at the “resume” then you are not doing your job. There are intangibles that sometimes factor in.

While I get the concern, and it’s certainly understandable given the predicament our FB program is in, I’m not looking at these 2 hires in a vacuum. I don’t think having a few guys on the staff that could possibly invigorate the overall atmosphere including reconnecting with shunned alums and boosters is a bad thing as long as it’s augmented with guys who can recruit, guys that can evaluate talent, guys that are good at X’s and O’s, etc...
My response is that "intangibles" frequently operate as excuses for giving a job to someone who clearly wouldn't otherwise be competitive for it.

And frankly, coming off Robbins basically handing Fisch the job over more qualified candidates, I'm doubly worried that we're just a PR/cronyism operation right now.

Look, I don't disagree this might be ok if the remainder of the staff can recruit and coach. I just have an issue that this seems to be sold as game changing hires, where I think the reality seems more that these are PR hires for the alum factor.

It's not to say they can't work out, but it is disappointing that the first assistant hires are guys with decidedly unimpressive resumes beyond being an alum. It's one thing if alums with meh resumes round out a staff, it's another when they're the first hires.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

EastCoastCat wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:39 am For any of you that have been in a position to hire people if you only look at the “resume” then you are not doing your job.
I used to review resumes and conduct interviews in IT, and if any potential employee had a resume like that of jumping around at lower level positions, he would never make it to be interviewed. Although is some industries it's quite common, like in Defense in LA in the 70's and 80's where they would compete to keep your or hire you, with a good raise, usually 15%.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Merkin wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:22 am
EastCoastCat wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:39 am For any of you that have been in a position to hire people if you only look at the “resume” then you are not doing your job.
I used to review resumes and conduct interviews in IT, and if any potential employee had a resume like that of jumping around at lower level positions, he would never make it to be interviewed. Although is some industries it's quite common, like in Defense in LA in the 70's and 80's where they would compete to keep your or hire you, with a good raise, usually 15%.
I’m with an IT Consulting company Merk and I can’t tell you how many resumes I see with people who have jumped around constantly especially at the below management role. This is usually due to either a compensation jump or improve their skill set.

Look, my overall point is the Hunley and Cecil hires were nore about checking off other needed boxes as opposed to their coaching/recruiting experience on their resumes. If the rest of Fisch’s staff is like these 2 hires we are screwed so the next few hires better be more qualified in the areas of need like I said.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

azgreg wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:06 pm
I know very little about him, but that is a man with a head shape like you'd expect an OL coach to have.
prh

Post by prh »

The more we build this staff, the more I believe this is going to be either a complete disaster or clever success. I would be ok with that situation if Fisch was plan G instead of Plan A. Especially considering option B was a very promising up and coming coaching prospect and program builder.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

prh wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:26 pm I would be ok with that situation if Fisch was plan G instead of Plan A. Especially considering option B was a very promising up and coming coaching prospect and program builder.
This is how I feel about Fisch, period. If he'd been the candidate we'd had to settle for after being turned down, I'd be much more supportive.

Knowing we turned down Niumatalolo and Brennan because Fisch was Robbins's guy makes it so much harder to swallow.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Anybody have any info if he is regarded highly as an OLine coach? We have been terrible the last couple years do for me this is a critical hire
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

azcat49 wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:35 pm Anybody have any info if he is regarded highly as an OLine coach? We have been terrible the last couple years do for me this is a critical hire
I have been impressed by what he has done with Seattle O-line. Not sure about college, but I did read he was the lead recruiter at University of Miami. So, he at least knows how to recruit.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
BeardownZonaZona

Post by BeardownZonaZona »

Seattle's run game has been great for years and their o line is always lacking on talent and they do more with less consistently by improving throughout the year. Very happy with this hire. Can't remember a time Seattle had a bad run game or an o line that was terrible by the end of the year. Gotta think he'd have a lot of west coast ties as well
I said what I said and I mean it.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Drevno was just fired by Clay Helton.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

That sounds like he is highly valued in Seattle so that’s a great sign for us. Also liked what Pom Pom said concerning the opportunity with us
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I had no idea who that was. Thank goodness for the comments: Jimmie Dougherty

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmie_Dougherty
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

azgreg wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:42 pm
Jorge Flores
@McKalefan1
42m
Replying to @CoachJeddFisch Who is that coach? Coach Brennan?