Post by azcat49 »

That’s Dougherty I think. He played at Missouri for Larry Smith I think
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
BeardownZonaZona

Re: Assistant Coach Hotboard

Post by BeardownZonaZona »

It's been confirmed to be Dougherty. Likely working with the receivers but could also work with the quarterbacks
I said what I said and I mean it.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

So he came here without a title upgrade? That seems impressive
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

azcat49 wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:37 pm So he came here without a title upgrade? That seems impressive
It feels like a smart move. Chip is not guaranteed to survive this offseason, let alone next. Fisch has significantly more job security.

Given that Sumlin was an abject disaster and got 3 years, Arizona has to be a more secure location for him.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

azcat49 wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:37 pm So he came here without a title upgrade? That seems impressive
Could be he thinks Chip is one year away from being fired. Or just likes Fisch more, but I'd imagine he'll get a passing game coordinator title at least. CoL is much better too. He probably lived more than an hour from campus
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Actually heard they are best buds as well do that probably has a lot to do with it if it’s a lateral move. I agree though that he probably gets a title out of it
TheGreatCatsby

Post by TheGreatCatsby »

So far I really like the assistant coaching staff Fisch is putting together. Also pretty cool he's on twitter and in one week seems like he has engaged with the community more than Sumlin did in 3 entire years. I think he'll be a fun entertaining coach, but have no idea how many games he'll win.

Hunley for DL was an excellent hire (he might be able to recruit so cal very well, and kids will know he's not looking to bolt for another opportunity elsewhere), and really like the Brennan Carroll hire. All this appears to be kinda coming together, if I'm a kid I would at least consider Arizona now with the fresh new program and staff they've brought in. A month ago we were a completely sinking ship with players and recruits abandoning left and right. This...is better.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Learned tonight that Jimmie Dougherty's father is the DC at Hamilton.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

azgreg wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:17 pm Learned tonight that Jimmie Dougherty's father is the DC at Hamilton.
It would be nice to get in there - the old coach hated UofA.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

UAEebs86 wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:25 pm
azgreg wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:17 pm Learned tonight that Jimmie Dougherty's father is the DC at Hamilton.
It would be nice to get in there - the old coach hated UofA.
I used to know a guy who was a volunteer assistant coach there and whenever an Arizona coach showed up they wouldn't even talk to them.
AV8RCAT

Post by AV8RCAT »

TheGreatCatsby wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:25 pm So far I really like the assistant coaching staff Fisch is putting together. Also pretty cool he's on twitter and in one week seems like he has engaged with the community more than Sumlin did in 3 entire years. I think he'll be a fun entertaining coach, but have no idea how many games he'll win.

Hunley for DL was an excellent hire (he might be able to recruit so cal very well, and kids will know he's not looking to bolt for another opportunity elsewhere), and really like the Brennan Carroll hire. All this appears to be kinda coming together, if I'm a kid I would at least consider Arizona now with the fresh new program and staff they've brought in. A month ago we were a completely sinking ship with players and recruits abandoning left and right. This...is better.
Upvote. I'm ready to give Jed Clampett a chance.
Sid

Post by Sid »

We might be building something special here....now give us back our old uniforms & let’s do work!
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

No coaching background, and therefore another non recruiter. Gonna be a long year while the new coaches get up to speed.
Last edited by Merkin on Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Well that is an interesting hire. From the board room back to the gridiron
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Have we only hired one guy who has been recruiting in the last 24 months? Am I missing someone other than Dougherty?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

7 seasons in the NFL with no fumbles? Guess he's got that going for him.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Not remotely impressed by a single hire so far. Going to be a continuation of the dumpster fire.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:57 pm
TheCat wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:57 pm You guys bitch about everything. You have no idea of their recruiting ability. Walk into a db recruits room and throw down the cover of Sports Illustrated that say's "too tough for the NFL" and you will get at least in the door. Mention that you are in the college football hall of fame and ears will perk up. These are going to be the guys that coach them also. Tough and nastiness are required. That is how you become successful with lower level recruits which you feel is all we will get.
Look, I'm not trying to be a jerk, but Cecil has been on staff since 2018 and our recruiting rankings have been 61st, 56th and 59th since he's been here.

If he can roll in and use his SI cover, it sure hasn't worked like that so far. Hunley...if he could kill it on the recruiting trail, why has no one hired him since 2015.

I don't think it's unreasonable to ask why neither of them has demonstrated high level recruiting. Maybe they can do the job, but I don't think you can say it's any kind of sure thing because they've never done it before.
Maybe you don't realize as a consultant (Cecil - his position for most the time) you are not allowed to coach or recruit. Give folks a chance to be successful.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Chicat wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:05 am Might as well show them a TV Guide.
How about all pro? Their dad's will understand SI if you don't think they will and parents have some influence.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

scumdevils86 wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:15 am Not remotely impressed by a single hire so far. Going to be a continuation of the dumpster fire.
You wouldn't be happy with Urban Meyer and a staff of his clones.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

TheCat wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:23 am Their dad's will understand SI if you don't think they will and parents have some influence.
Wait, kids don't know about this? The one spank magazine we were allowed to be caught with.

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

^^^^^^

Merk,
I remember the school librarian wouldn't put out the SI with the see through Cheyl Tiegs swimsuit.
-JB
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

My son is a Seahawk fanatic. He says Carroll is highly thought of and a very interesting hire. You got ties to recruiting from schools like Miami and USC. We will see if this works out but open to giving it a chance. Most folks here wanted a below .500 coach from a small school that just handed Ball State their first bowl victory ever and had one good season during COVID. Might not work out but worth a shot.
AV8RCAT

Post by AV8RCAT »

azgreg wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:52 am
scumdevils86 wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:15 am Not remotely impressed by a single hire so far. Going to be a continuation of the dumpster fire.
Hasn't recruited recently enough.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

UAEebs86 wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:12 pm ^^^^^^

Merk,
I remember the school librarian wouldn't put out the SI with the see through Cheyl Tiegs swimsuit.
I remember that issue extremely well! Killed probably more kittens than any other issue.

Tiegs said later she had no idea what would happen once the bathing suit got wet.
AV8RCAT

Post by AV8RCAT »

TheCat wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:57 pm You guys bitch about everything. You have no idea of their recruiting ability. Walk into a db recruits room and throw down the cover of Sports Illustrated that say's "too tough for the NFL" and you will get at least in the door. Mention that you are in the college football hall of fame and ears will perk up. These are going to be the guys that coach them also. Tough and nastiness are required. That is how you become successful with lower level recruits which you feel is all we will get.
Look, I'm not trying to be a jerk, but Cecil has been on staff since 2018 and our recruiting rankings have been 61st, 56th and 59th since he's been here.

If he can roll in and use his SI cover, it sure hasn't worked like that so far. Hunley...if he could kill it on the recruiting trail, why has no one hired him since 2015.

I don't think it's unreasonable to ask why neither of them has demonstrated high level recruiting. Maybe they can do the job, but I don't think you can say it's any kind of sure thing because they've never done it before.
I'm not sure how much impact an analyst can make. All I know is that that title combined with therapist wouldn't look good on a business card.
Does anyone know if Hunley has been seeking employment? I think someone else ventured that he might have planned to remain retired unless he could coach here.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

AV8RCAT wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:28 pm
azgreg wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:52 am
Hasn't recruited recently enough.
Urban Meyer has proven that he can recruit against anyone.

Jedd Fisch has proven ......... uh ......... hang tight, it’ll come to me...

So far we have hired exactly one guy with his finger on the pulse of West Coast recruiting. And seemingly our best hire is a guy who is going to potentially spend the next month with the Seahawks.

Is there no sense of urgency when it comes to recruiting? Does Fisch not understand that there is no chance of building a winner if we don’t get the talent we need to compete?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azpatnca

Post by azpatnca »

High level college athletics recruiting seems to be all about getting show companies to pay people to come to your school. I don't want any part of a guy known to be a "good recruiter", we got enough problems with the NCAA. I say you hire good coaches and build a good community/program and the kids that fit UA will come to play here. We aren't ever going to compete with Alabama and Oregon and other semi-pro programs, and that's just life.

I do think that this coach seems to know people everywhere so the transfer portal might be strong with him. He might have assistant coach friends all over the country telling kids that aren't fitting "I hate to see you go, but if you insist on leaving, call up Fish".
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

I get all the current hires (even if I agree or disagree), but the RB coach. Associate AD for 6 or so years and no recruiting to coaching experience? Is there something that at Associate AD does or knows that by hiring him as a RB coach is beneficial to the team?
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
prh

Post by prh »

azpatnca wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:08 pm High level college athletics recruiting seems to be all about getting show companies to pay people to come to your school. I don't want any part of a guy known to be a "good recruiter", we got enough problems with the NCAA. I say you hire good coaches and build a good community/program and the kids that fit UA will come to play here. We aren't ever going to compete with Alabama and Oregon and other semi-pro programs, and that's just life.

I do think that this coach seems to know people everywhere so the transfer portal might be strong with him. He might have assistant coach friends all over the country telling kids that aren't fitting "I hate to see you go, but if you insist on leaving, call up Fish".
That's college basketball but not remotely close to how college football and bagmen work. Football is so completely different from basketball.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

Urban Meyer today? No thanks. He is washed up. Left two, top-notch programs for health reasons. If he came to Arizona now, doubt he'd have the same fire he had at Florida or TOSU. But the next Urban Meyer from a school like Bowling Green before Utah hired him? Hell yes! And Meyer never finished higher than third in the MAC before Utah hired him! But he did quickly turn around a losing team into a winning one.

As for recruiting, it's about relationships and ties. Who on our staff has any current relationships and this to high schools in AZ, CA, and TX? Anyone? Maybe if the coaching staff can coach up the current players, but whom in staff is known as a great coach who succeeded taking a bunch of no-names and turned them into a great squad?

I still have my doubts this staff can coach 'em up. And nobody on staff has great recruiting ties. So where does that leave us? Pretty much exactly where we are right now.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

-JB
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Grade?

I'd give it a C+. I like the Carroll and Dougherty additions.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

EastCoastCat wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:23 am Grade?

It's ok. No one I'd consider an automatic, but some guys with recruiting ties.

It does feel concerning that it seems like Fisch's ties are limited to O. He seemed to quickly fill out the offensive staff with guys he has a connection with and D is notably lagging.

I think C+ is fair not taking D into account. No one revolutionary, but no WTF's and decent recruiting background.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

TheCat wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:20 am

Maybe you don't realize as a consultant (Cecil - his position for most the time) you are not allowed to coach or recruit. Give folks a chance to be successful.
I'm not trying to be overly negative, but if Cecil was the kind of guy who can open all sorts of recruiting doors and coach his butt off, why was he not promoted to doing either in 3 years here while we were floundering in both areas?

It doesn't really matter if Spaceman Spiff decides to give Cecil a chance, he's getting a chance. I'm just not blown away by the lack of professional movement and development he and Hunley have had.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I have overly critical of this coach but I have to admit I kind of like what he has done with his staff. Will it work, who knows, but this what I see.

He brought in cat legends to appease the fan base. He made a big splash with big names and maybe Chuck will do a little recruiting in San Diego where he is a legend.

He brought in guys that have NFL backgrounds that know what it takes to play in the league. The RB coach as I understand, is a great relationship builder and communicator who was very highly thought of by Herm Edwards.

Paopao will cover the Vegas area that we were doing great in until Dumlin canned Addae and we list all traction. He was a very good recruiter at UDub and can help with Polynesian players. The Cummings guy is an up and comer off Of Brennan’s staff and it kind of tells me this coach is saying I can get guys and sell my vision, watch me get a guy off the staff of the guy you all wanted. Dougherty along with PaoPao and Cummings cover most of California and Vegas. Bring in Carroll with his daddy ties and NFL experience and things LOOK pretty good.

Good mix of young and old
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:13 am

It does feel concerning that it seems like Fisch's ties are limited to O. He seemed to quickly fill out the offensive staff with guys he has a connection with and D is notably lagging.

I think C+ is fair not taking D into account. No one revolutionary, but no WTF's and decent recruiting background.
I think it was probably easier for Fisch to complete his offensive staff not only because of his ties but it just seems like the the way the game has transformed offensively in the last 10-15 years it's a bit easier to field a decent offensive staff from scratch.

I hope his delay on a D staff to augment Hunley is Cecil is due to an attempt to hit some home runs as opposed to a dearth of more qualified candidates on that side of the ball. But I fear the worst.

He talked a big game at his presser about the program MO will be about "toughness/competitiveness" and wanting opponents to "fear AZ when they see them on the schedule". Well, there will need to be a huge transformation on defense so his next few staff selections especially the DC will be critical.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

EastCoastCat wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:12 am
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:13 am

I think it was probably easier for Fisch to complete his offensive staff not only because of his ties but it just seems like the the way the game has transformed offensively in the last 10-15 years it's a bit easier to field a decent offensive staff from scratch.

I hope his delay on a D staff to augment Hunley is Cecil is due to an attempt to hit some home runs as opposed to a dearth of more qualified candidates on that side of the ball. But I fear the worst.

He talked a big game at his presser about the program MO will be about "toughness/competitiveness" and wanting opponents to "fear AZ when they see them on the schedule". Well, there will need to be a huge transformation on defense so his next few staff selections especially the DC will be critical.
I could of sworn he was interested in bring in Don Brown as DC? So that not happening or He has someone else already in place.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Don Brown is also rumored to be in the mix with Auburn.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Maybe they keep pushing for Big Joe?
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

azgreg wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:15 am Don Brown is also rumored to be in the mix with Auburn.
FYI, this was 6 days ago from a UM reporter.

https://gbmwolverine.com/2020/12/28/mic ... t-arizona/
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

The offensive staff I would give much higher, A- or B+ sounds right.

The HC and Defensive staff so far are another story. I would give the hires there a D- at this time. Maybe we surprise and fill up the defensive staff well. Also, I would assume ST is an upgrade by default.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:17 am
TheCat wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:20 am

I'm not trying to be overly negative, but if Cecil was the kind of guy who can open all sorts of recruiting doors and coach his butt off, why was he not promoted to doing either in 3 years here while we were floundering in both areas?

It doesn't really matter if Spaceman Spiff decides to give Cecil a chance, he's getting a chance. I'm just not blown away by the lack of professional movement and development he and Hunley have had.
I’m not saying Cecil can recruit or coach but I think he was on staff as an admin guy because Robbins/Heeke wanted him. Not because the HC wanted him. So I don’t think he really had any opportunity to be a coach (other than short time he filled in for someone who got fired).
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

I like the offensive staff from an outsiders view. I think Carroll might be the biggest question mark, but it could be a legacy thing and hating all things from that family anyways. But Fisch is the guy on the offensive end and it's show. On the defense, he's probably not going to make any hires until he gets his DC and let the DC bring some of his guys in.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

2 star Trevan Wade coming home? He could coach corners and let Cecil Coach safeties. Need a DC/ LB coach and special teams unless that is by committee?
CopaCat

Post by CopaCat »

azcat49 wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:17 pm 2 star Trevan Wade coming home? He could coach corners and let Cecil Coach safeties. Need a DC/ LB coach and special teams unless that is by committee?
Paopao will certainly be involved in the Special Teams. Doubt they hire a designated ST coach.

So far I am fairly optimistic with the hires on Offense. Not sure on Scottie Graham? Would assume he must be a very personable guy with possible recruiting ties despite not being a coach. So far I would give the offensive hires a B/B+. Defense, guess we will see?
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

CopaCat wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:57 pm
azcat49 wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:17 pm 2 star Trevan Wade coming home? He could coach corners and let Cecil Coach safeties. Need a DC/ LB coach and special teams unless that is by committee?
Paopao will certainly be involved in the Special Teams. Doubt they hire a designated ST coach.

So far I am fairly optimistic with the hires on Offense. Not sure on Scottie Graham? Would assume he must be a very personable guy with possible recruiting ties despite not being a coach. So far I would give the offensive hires a B/B+. Defense, guess we will see?
We have three on field coach spots available. With Cecil taking all DB's that leaves DC, LB's and Special Teams so I am pretty sure one of those three spots will go to special teams.