Cats can't compete regularly in recruiting with the big schools & their money

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Irish27

Cats can't compete regularly in recruiting with the big schools & their money

Post by Irish27 »

2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
AV8RCAT

Re: Cats can't compete regularly in recruiting with the big schools & their money

Post by AV8RCAT »

Irish27 wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:26 pm How times have changed, https://brobible.com/sports/article/tex ... nil-money/
We never could even when it was illegal
azcat49

Re: Cats can't compete regularly in recruiting with the big schools & their money

Post by azcat49 »

I just don’t get how this is not an inducement to attend and thus illegal.

My thoughts was a kid could use his name, image and likeness for his brand AFTER he was in school and that a preemptive negotiation was a recruiting violation?

I am all for kids making money but I would rather see them striking their own deals and the schools doing some revenue sharing with the players
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

This thread title is way too long for me to respond…
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I’m positive that A&M boosters spent a boatload of money to get that recruiting class, and if we were smart we’d be doing the same thing but football just isn’t that important to… anyone…

But anyway, I’m not going to get too wrapped up in that $30M number. brobible might be a bastion of journalism ( :roll: ) but they printed a rumor seen in a screenshot of a message board post by some slob named SlicedBread, tweeted by some unverified slob named @spicoli_. They might as well have quoted some slob named Chicat.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

AV8RCAT wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:38 pm
Irish27 wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:26 pm How times have changed, https://brobible.com/sports/article/tex ... nil-money/
We never could even when it was illegal
Yeah, my first reaction was that actually zero's changed if we can't compete with big schools.

Frankly, this year's first NIL class might be the best in program history. I'll take it.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

The people with money in Tucson will pay up. They just need some coordination. I would be happy to sign a fat check to a top ten recruit. I am close to 50 and need at least one Rose Bowl before I die.

P.S. rename this thread to "How much is a Rose Bowl worth to you?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

UALoco wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:02 pm need at least one Rose Bowl before I die.
You and me both brother.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

UAEebs86 wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:03 pm
UALoco wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:02 pm need at least one Rose Bowl before I die.
You and me both brother.
Me 3.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Add me to that list
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

The Gronkowski name has a little more sizzle than Jim Bob’s Ford in Bryan, TX.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

wyo-cat wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:05 pm The Gronkowski name has a little more sizzle than Jim Bob’s Ford in Bryan, TX.
Tell that to someone in Texas. lol
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

UAEebs86 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:14 pm
Looks like a good name and poster for a 70's Blaxploitation movie. Which is probably their intent.
Sage&Silver

Post by Sage&Silver »

UAEebs86 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:14 pm
Chocolate Chip Cookie @Doughboyspeedy

Who's going to be the first Wildcat filming ads dressed as Captain Eegee?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I bet it would be Kerr but foreign players can’t get in on the NIL.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

Can someone summarize the NIL rules? I would imagine that no one could compete with Oregon once NIL really gets going. Are there any limits to ensure a level playing field?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

UALoco wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:52 pm Can someone summarize the NIL rules? I would imagine that no one could compete with Oregon once NIL really gets going. Are there any limits to ensure a level playing field?
NIL rules don't really exist except that the source of $ can't be the school.

Edit: and 100% of the blame falls on the NCAA fpr ignoring reasonable measures, forcing a fight to the Supreme Court, getting crushed and then basically having to open everything with essentially minimal regulation.
Last edited by Spaceman Spiff on Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

nm
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

No rules, no limits.

Which is really great for old and middle aged men who want to say “the money these kids are getting is ruining the game!” while ignoring that prior to the NIL all the money was going to coaches and administrators, and how it was much worse for everyone when shady boosters, agents, & shoe company runners were working behind the scenes and under the table, sometimes in violation of local, state, and federal laws, to give kids a fraction of what they can earn just by being a normal young person with a famous name, face, or talent.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:06 pm No rules, no limits.

Which is really great for old and middle aged men who want to say “the money these kids are getting is ruining the game!” while ignoring that prior to the NIL all the money was going to coaches and administrators, and how it was much worse for everyone when shady boosters, agents, & shoe company runners were working behind the scenes and under the table, sometimes in violation of local, state, and federal laws, to give kids a fraction of what they can earn just by being a normal young person with a famous name, face, or talent.
We live in divided times where political extremes can't agree on much. The Supreme Court has fallen under the microscope for its partisan divides and people question whether politics has taken the place of justice.

In these divided times, what's the one issue the Supreme Court stepped forth to issue a scathing 9-0 decision on? The fact the NCAA had been treating its athletes in a patently illegal way for all of modern time.

It speaks volumes.
AV8RCAT

Post by AV8RCAT »

When Alabama starts paying NFL level salaries by proxy, which is probably now, we might all agree that college football is over, and is simply a new pro-league, but like most things these days, rather than rail against fait accompli, this old man just looks how to best exploit or at least just deal with it.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

If the reason they have to pony up big bucks for recruits is because other schools take advantage of the NIL to level the playing field and they miss the playoff for a few years . . . is that really such a bad thing?

Is the problem that these kids will get paid to go to Alabama? Or just that they’ll get paid?
AV8RCAT

Post by AV8RCAT »

I don't care that they get paid, but I'm not sure of the effect that what could amount to unrestricted salaries, signing bonuses, etc will have.
I can't explain my preference for college ball over pro other than local affiliation and just a different dynamic?
Don't know if the game will retain the college atmosphere if there is such a thing.

But I usually default to "Fuck it. Let's see what happens."

It's basically replaceable entertainment for me.

Maybe Fisch can pull some Phil Knight-like miracle out of his ass.
Last edited by AV8RCAT on Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

AV8RCAT wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:02 pm

When Alabama starts paying NFL level salaries by proxy, which is probably now, we might all agree that college football is over, and is simply a new pro-league, but like most things these days, rather than rail against fait accompli, this old man just looks how to best exploit or at least just deal with it.
Alabama has made the playoffs 7 out of 8 years. Further, only 13 teams have made the playoff, so it has generally been the same teams repeatedly. Are you sure that NIL has/will change anything?
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

DrWildcat wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:37 am

Alabama has made the playoffs 7 out of 8 years. Further, only 13 teams have made the playoff, so it has generally been the same teams repeatedly. Are you sure that NIL has/will change anything?
It'd be nice if it levels the playing field, or at least makes it more level. I just don't know how some of the lesser marketed programs are going to be able to compete at all now.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

Carcassdragger wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:42 am

It'd be nice if it levels the playing field, or at least makes it more level. I just don't know how some of the lesser marketed programs are going to be able to compete at all now.
Look at the top teams revenue vs ours. Are we competing with that if they regulate NIL? Your just reducing what the athletes can make. Maybe you should be calling for a coaches salary cap or facility cap instead.
AV8RCAT

Post by AV8RCAT »

Not sure about anything, it might change the game for the better. Hasn't hurt us yet.

Down the road though as the money starts flowing, and any pretense of not being a business is gone, how long will it take for teams to demand autonomy? freedom to relocate, field non student athletes etc?
Last edited by AV8RCAT on Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:07 am, edited 3 times in total.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I regret only having one upvote to give this post.

Since 2011, Alabama has had a top 2 recruiting class every year but 1. That year, they were a measly #5 in the nation.

It's funny that the underdogs in the CFP are bluebloods like Michigan or programs loaded with talent and resources like LSU, Georgia or Oregon. It's been mostly a rotating cast of Bama, Clemson, Oklahoma, Ohio State and one or two interlopers.

Heck, if anything, TAMU scoring the #1 class is more parity than we've seen recently.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

There’s every reason for big schools in mid-level markets where there are no pro sports teams to take full advantage of the NIL by partnering with local businesses to dole out big money to recruits.

I’m looking at you University of Arizona…
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:49 am There’s every reason for big schools in mid-level markets where there are no pro sports teams to take full advantage of the NIL by partnering with local businesses to dole out big money to recruits.

IMO, this new world offers advantages to forward thinking schools.

We probably wouldn't have De Laura if it wasn't for the no sit transfer. I'm sure moving into a starting spot here was a draw for him.

NIL is the same. Programs that effectively facilitate NIL opportunities will benefit. Schools that rely on national companies...a few top guys get those offers, but Arizona's probably not competing for the guys that get national brand endorsements like Bama is. An effective local market is good for 3 and 4 stars that make your program.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:58 am
Chicat wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:49 am There’s every reason for big schools in mid-level markets where there are no pro sports teams to take full advantage of the NIL by partnering with local businesses to dole out big money to recruits.

We probably wouldn't have De Laura if it wasn't for the no sit transfer. I'm sure moving into a starting spot here was a draw for him.

NIL is the same. Programs that effectively facilitate NIL opportunities will benefit. Schools that rely on national companies...a few top guys get those offers, but Arizona's probably not competing for the guys that get national brand endorsements like Bama is. An effective local market is good for 3 and 4 stars that make your program.
I am 100% of the same mind. The new atmosphere around player compensation can be a huge advantage for forward thinking schools. That’s why I love this new Gronk partnership.

If we can get guys like Iggy, Gronk, Tedy Bruschi, Richard Jefferson to lend their names and faces to local marketing efforts that employ current and future UA football, basketball, baseball, and softball student athletes, the sky is literally the limit.

Why wouldn’t a kid want to align himself with a current high profile sports personality and a prominent local business to earn six figures while playing ball at one of the premiere universities in college athletics? You going to turn down having an ice cream flavor named after you that Gronk mentions on Sportscenter?
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Chicat wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:06 am

I am 100% of the same mind. The new atmosphere around player compensation can be a huge advantage for forward thinking schools. That’s why I love this new Gronk partnership.

If we can get guys like Iggy, Gronk, Tedy Bruschi, Richard Jefferson to lend their names and faces to local marketing efforts that employ current and future UA football, basketball, baseball, and softball student athletes, the sky is literally the limit.

Why wouldn’t a kid want to align himself with a current high profile sports personality and a prominent local business to earn six figures while playing ball at one of the premiere universities in college athletics? You going to turn down having an ice cream flavor named after you that Gronk mentions on Sportscenter?
If Phil Knight offers you a 7 figure show contract to sign with UO, yes I think most kids would turn down the UA and the ice cream flavor in a heartbeat.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Sure, but Oregon was already getting kids that wanted that Nike connection. What has changed is that now other schools can tout their business connections. Some of which might be more lucrative and advantageous than sitting the bench at Oregon.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

dmjcat wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:21 am
Chicat wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:06 am

If Phil Knight offers you a 7 figure show contract to sign with UO, yes I think most kids would turn down the UA and the ice cream flavor in a heartbeat.
Yeah, but even at major schools like Oregon, Bama, etc., there are maybe 3-5 players with that sort of earning potential. Phil isn't paying a million base for an 85 man roster with major players getting more.

The net result is the same as pre-NIL, where we probably don't get 5 stars like Oregon, Bama, Georgia, OSU and Clemson because they have greater advantages. But the non-5 stars aren't pulling 7 figures and that's where we build.

Frankly, it should be an advantage by intelligently using NIL. I just finished the book Moneyball, and it's 100% about how programs with less money can win by exploiting market inefficiency instead of just wildly slinging money in a free for all.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Chicat wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:33 am Sure, but Oregon was already getting kids that wanted that Nike connection. What has changed is that now other schools can tout their business connections. Some of which might be more lucrative and advantageous than sitting the bench at Oregon.
I don't think the kid sitting on the bench at Oregon is our problem.

Its the 5 Star point guard or center that we competing against them for. If they wind up with the 5 star guard and we wind up with the 3 star Transfer portal guy its not going to end well for the UA.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

In basketball you can change the entire trajectory of your team with one player.

In football it’s probably 3-5 (depending on position).

If the transfer market has taught us anything, kids are constantly looking for the best opportunity to showcase themselves. Sitting the bench at Bama, Clemson, SC, or Notre Dame (or Duke, Kentucky, Kansas in basketball) isn’t for everyone, ESPECIALLY if there is a six figure NIL deal out there that the guy who is the current starter ahead of you is getting and you aren’t.
dmjcat wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:11 amI don't think the kid sitting on the bench at Oregon is our problem.

Its the 5 Star point guard or center that we competing against them for. If they wind up with the 5 star guard and we wind up with the 3 star Transfer portal guy its not going to end well for the UA.
I was talking football, not basketball, but are you of the opinion that the old rules were somehow holding Nike back from getting kids to go to Oregon that Arizona wanted?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:12 am In basketball you can change the entire trajectory of your team with one player.

If the transfer market has taught us anything, kids are constantly looking for the best opportunity to showcase themselves. Sitting the bench at Bama, Clemson, SC, or Notre Dame (or Duke, Kentucky, Kansas in basketball) isn’t for everyone, ESPECIALLY if there is a six figure NIL deal out there that the guy who is the current starter ahead of you is getting and you aren’t.
dmjcat wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:11 amI don't think the kid sitting on the bench at Oregon is our problem.

I was talking football, not basketball, but are you of the opinion that the old rules were somehow holding Nike back from getting kids to go to Oregon that Arizona wanted?
Basketball and football aren't really comparable at Arizona.

In basketball, there's no reason we whould not be competitive for 5 stars with or without NIL. There are NBA alums and boosters for Arizona basketball that will make us nationally competitive in the way we always were. Kansas, Kentucky, etc were in on guys like Aaron Gordon and Deandre Ayton and they still will be.

Football, Arizona is not blessed with the advantages we have in basketball. There, using the portal to score a dissatisfied 4 star is a coup for us.

People overrate the Nike thing too. Duke, Kentucky, etc. all contract with Nike. If Knight starts dropping cash for Oregon to screw other Nike schools, there will be blowback. So far Oregon hasn't overperformed in this area:

"Also, if you remove the six-figure deals for Thibodeaux and Carey you get a better idea of how the average athlete who received an NIL deal actually did. The average deal at Oregon without Thibodeaux’s biggest endorsement would be $723"

Thibodeaux got 100k, but the vast majority of Oregon's NIL deals haven't been near that.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

The idea that the new compensation rules will hinder our recruiting should be weighed against the fact that we just pulled our best football recruiting class in the past 10+ years (or maybe ever?) even though Phil Knight can theoretically write a blank check.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:54 am The idea that the new compensation rules will hinder our recruiting should be weighed against the fact that we just pulled our best football recruiting class in the past 10+ years (or maybe ever?) even though Phil Knight can theoretically write a blank check.
Fisch did it the way that is reasonable and smart for Arizona football. It's unlikely we will ever recruit 2-3 five star prospects every class like Alabama does, NIL or not.

Fisch built a good class with high 3 stars and low-mid 4 stars being the backbone. That's smart and repeatable and doesn't require 7 figure NIL deals. If we ever get to the place we can compete with Bama, sweet, but this is the far more real route to success.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:39 am
Chicat wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:12 am In basketball you can change the entire trajectory of your team with one player.

In basketball, there's no reason we whould not be competitive for 5 stars with or without NIL. There are NBA alums and boosters for Arizona basketball that will make us nationally competitive in the way we always were. Kansas, Kentucky, etc were in on guys like Aaron Gordon and Deandre Ayton and they still will be.

Football, Arizona is not blessed with the advantages we have in basketball. There, using the portal to score a dissatisfied 4 star is a coup for us.

People overrate the Nike thing too. Duke, Kentucky, etc. all contract with Nike. If Knight starts dropping cash for Oregon to screw other Nike schools, there will be blowback. So far Oregon hasn't overperformed in this area:

"Also, if you remove the six-figure deals for Thibodeaux and Carey you get a better idea of how the average athlete who received an NIL deal actually did. The average deal at Oregon without Thibodeaux’s biggest endorsement would be $723"

Thibodeaux got 100k, but the vast majority of Oregon's NIL deals haven't been near that.
"No reason we would not be competitive with NIL"????? Again, if Phil wants to pony up the $$$ we will certainly NOT be competitive in any universe. To suggest otherwise is lunacy. The UA doesn't have a Bill Gates type alumni

"Blowback"" What the hell are you smoking??? You think there is going to be "blowback" to the guy worth $55 billion who is funding all of the shoe deals??? All of those universities getting $$$ from Phil will be kissing his ass in perpetuity regardless of who he pays off. Money doesnt talk, it SCREAMS.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

I honestly don't know (but Miller did haul in a few players UO wanted) .....but I do know that the $$$$ are now out in the open and Phil doesn't have to worry anymore about getting his school in trouble by spreading $$$$$ around.

I'm talking about football or basketball. Hell, if Phil wants to give every UO football player a cool $100K it will only cost him $8.5M a year. Thats couch change to a guy worth $55 billion.

The NIL thing is only in its infancy. I would wait a year or two before saying its NOT going to hurt the UA.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

dmjcat wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:43 pm
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:39 am

"No reason we would not be competitive with NIL"????? Again, if Phil wants to pony up the $$$ we will certainly NOT be competitive in any universe. To suggest otherwise is lunacy. The UA doesn't have a Bill Gates type alumni

"Blowback"" What the hell are you smoking??? You think there is going to be "blowback" to the guy worth $55 billion who is funding all of the shoe deals??? All of those universities getting $$$ from Phil will be kissing his ass in perpetuity regardless of who he pays off. Money doesnt talk, it SCREAMS.
Ok, then why isn't Knight doing that? NIL is fully available and he hasn't leveraged a single deal for Oregon yet. Is he only 83 so he doesn't want to rush it while he's young?

If he wanted to drop millions, he'd be doing it. He isn't.

Yes, there's going to be blowback. Nike has deals with Texas and Ohio State worth over 250 million each. There's a contract with requirements. Nike signed those deals because they believe those schools will generate enough revenue to pay the deal off.

We're talking billions in revenue that Knight is going to jeopardize because he likes Oregon and despite the fact he could openly have been doing it for a year and hasn't done it at all?

Finally, no one's dropping billions. The wildest unsubstantiated rumor is Texas A&M doing 30 mil in NIL deals for an incoming 28 man class. Keep in mind, that is the unsubstantiated high end estimate of a message board rando. Or about 1 mil per player.

That's not an amount that's impossible for Arizona. It's not just alums, it's any companies included. Dr. Pepper ponied up for DJ Uiagalelei (sp) so it's not like it's only university boosters.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Spiff put it better than I ever could but I wanted to quickly add that Arizona does have very rich alumni that have ponied up millions for facility improvements in order to get top level recruits to consider our school, so not sure why that would change with the NIL.

Also, dmj, maybe switch to decaf after noon.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I've got $20 that's not doing anything.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

"If he wanted to drop millions, he'd be doing it. He isn't". :lol: :lol: :lol:

You are right Spiff, he isn't dropping millions..........its approaching BILLIONS :lol: :lol: :lol:

"Yes, there's going to be blowback. Nike has deals with Texas and Ohio State worth over 250 million each. There's a contract with requirements. Nike signed those deals because they believe those schools will generate enough revenue to pay the deal off."

You obviously don't understand business or the relation between Nike and colleges. Colleges will crawl on their bellys to get Phils money. Nobody in their right mind is going to subject $$$Phil$$$ to "Blowback" over paying a recruit. Have you seen
ANY University showing any Blowback to Nike over their foreign child sweatshops???..............I didn't think so.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I believe we're discussing Knight giving money for individual NIL deals.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

dmjcat wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:57 pm "If he wanted to drop millions, he'd be doing it. He isn't". :lol: :lol: :lol:

You are right Spiff, he isn't dropping millions..........its approaching BILLIONS :lol: :lol: :lol:

"Yes, there's going to be blowback. Nike has deals with Texas and Ohio State worth over 250 million each. There's a contract with requirements. Nike signed those deals because they believe those schools will generate enough revenue to pay the deal off."

You obviously don't understand business or the relation between Nike and colleges. Colleges will crawl on their bellys to get Phils money. Nobody in their right mind is going to subject $$$Phil$$$ to "Blowback" over paying a recruit. Have you seen
ANY University showing any Blowback to Nike over their foreign child sweatshops???..............I didn't think so.
As Greg says, there's a difference between Knight donating to Oregon and paying particular athletes to go to Oregon. He's paid zero athletes.

I'll respectfully disagree that schools will crawl for Phil. Under Armour signed UCLA for 15 years, 280 million. Adidas's Kansas deal is 14 for 191 mil and Louisville is 10 years, 160 mil.

It's silly to think OSU and Texas won't get comparable $ from Adidas or UA if they jumped. This doesn't even touch on coaches, either.

Nike directly routes money to coaches, as do Adidas and Under Armour. I'll link a detailed article below. You think Nick Saban's cool with his shoe company paying players to go to Oregon? Saban does seem like the quiet, mousy type who'd just take that lying down.

https://www.bizjournals.com/portland/bl ... aches.html

There are multiple levels of issues Knight would trigger by paying players and he is clearly not doing it. Like Chi says, Arizona can fully compete in this realm in basketball. Football is harder because we consistently suck and have less booster motivation.