Cats can't compete regularly in recruiting with the big schools & their money

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

dmjcat

Re: Cats can't compete regularly in recruiting with the big schools & their money

Post by dmjcat »

Merkin wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 2:38 pm
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb ... i=BB15ms5q

PS Don't forward this information to Spaceman Spiff.....he may have a heart attack to learn that Uncle $Phil$ is funneling $$$ to Oregon athletes :lol:

CardiacCats97

Re: Cats can't compete regularly in recruiting with the big schools & their money

Post by CardiacCats97 »

Is it a “sad sad deal” if Notre Dame wants to pay him $5M to leave Pitt and coach the Irish?
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

CardiacCats97 wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 3:25 pm Is it a “sad sad deal” if Notre Dame wants to pay him $5M to leave Pitt and coach the Irish?
Ding ding ding
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Did see someone predicted this

EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

While I was in school I would have definitely received a Greasy Tony's NIL...
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ghostwhitehorse

Post by ghostwhitehorse »

Ion??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Tune in at midnight on ION! twice a week to watch Wildcat basketball. I can hardly wait.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Anyone who thinks that CTL should be recruiting like Sean Miller did back in 2013 is living on Fantasy Island.

This article gives an idea of the kind of NIL money being thrown around. There is no way the UA will be able to compete with many of the SEC/B1G schools......or the schools with Mega Billionaire benefactors ($$Phil Knight$$).

https://caneswarning.com/2022/12/28/mia ... ul-person/

I saw one poster complain last week that CTL could not close on Kwame Evans.......do these posters understand the amount of $$$$$$$ that Phil Knight threw at the kid??? (and Mookie Cook also).

No, CTL is facing an entirely different recruiting universe than Sean Miller did.....and it doesn't favor the UA in many cases.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

NIL and the Transfer Portal sure has changed the face of college sports.

And not for the better IMHO.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

The conversation used to be "should we get one-and done's" and now it's turned to "can we afford to match NIL's".

You know you are in trouble when Charles Barkley is making sense.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

dmjcat wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:12 pm I saw one poster complain last week that CTL could not close on Kwame Evans.......do these posters understand the amount of $$$$$$$ that Phil Knight threw at the kid??? (and Mookie Cook also).
No, how much $$$ are we talking?
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

NIL is out of control.

$12.6M from one booster at Florida??? And CTL is recruiting against that for Dedan Thomas. Anyone who expects CTL to recruit at the same level that Miller did 10 years ago is batshit crazy. The UA is never going to win at this game.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/th ... -nil-game/
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

This is what Lloyd and the UA are up against. Miller did not have to deal with this.

dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse for college athletics:
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

LSU is getting air conditioned helmets.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

But it's a wet heat.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Not inside. AC condensers remove the humidity. It’s dry air. It’s going to feel cool.

See how they work in high humidity when there’s no evaporation.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

I'm sure having the gov't involved will not cause any problems...

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/colle ... er-portal/
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

And we lose another HS star to $$Phil Knight$$ and the UO collective.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... its-oregon

I'm amazed at how many people argued with me that this would not happen once the NIL floodgates cut loose. There were some very naive folks at the front end of this thread.

Spaceman Spiff assured me this wasn't going to happen :lol: :lol: :lol:
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

dmjcat wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:20 am And we lose another HS star to $$Phil Knight$$ and the UO collective.

I'm amazed at how many people argued with me that this would not happen once the NIL floodgates cut loose. There were some very naive folks at the front end of this thread.

It sounds like you’re saying we never lost a recruit to a school like Oregon before the NIL and that it’s only now that its going to happen (which is obviously ridiculous).

The difference is that the reasons are now out in the open. Before it was “culture” or “fit” when the truth was it was how much the boosters were ponying up.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Chicat wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 11:17 am
dmjcat wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:20 am And we lose another HS star to $$Phil Knight$$ and the UO collective.

It sounds like you’re saying we never lost a recruit to a school like Oregon before the NIL and that it’s only now that its going to happen (which is obviously ridiculous).

The difference is that the reasons are now out in the open. Before it was “culture” or “fit” when the truth was it was how much the boosters were ponying up.
Although the data is limited (NIL only started in 2021) UO has had top 10 recruiting classes in 3 of the last 4 years in football (including 2024). They had only 1 top ten class in the previous 10 years. The only thing obviously ridiculous is stating that the NIL has not benefited Oregon.
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

I'm not sure the courts will let them but the NCAA needs to get a handle on this NIL. Just like recruiting that used to be completely out of hand until limits were established. You can put a liberal amount on the limit but limits need to be put in place.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

dmjcat wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 12:21 pm

Although the data is limited (NIL only started in 2021) UO has had top 10 recruiting classes in 3 of the last 4 years in football (including 2024). They had only 1 top ten class in the previous 10 years. The only thing obviously ridiculous is stating that the NIL has not benefited Oregon.
So Oregon had no recruiting advantages over Arizona prior to the NIL? That’s an interesting take.

If they are pulling in top-10 recruiting classes like they never have before, it sounds like the recruiting advantage is over other programs that traditionally pulled in top-10 or top-20 classes. It’s not like Arizona was getting the cream of the crop recruits and the NIL came along and ruined it and then Oregon stepped into the void we left.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Chicat wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 1:58 pm
dmjcat wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 12:21 pm

So Oregon had no recruiting advantages over Arizona prior to the NIL? That’s an interesting take.

If they are pulling in top-10 recruiting classes like they never have before, it sounds like the recruiting advantage is over other programs that traditionally pulled in top-10 or top-20 classes. It’s not like Arizona was getting the cream of the crop recruits and the NIL came along and ruined it and then Oregon stepped into the void we left.
You appear to have reading comprehension issues. I never said AZ was getting the cream of the crop. I stated that UO/Phil $Knight$ is spending money (that the UA can't match) to take whatever recruits they want, especially in football.

In basketball there is quite a bit of evidence that UO has taken recruits away from AZ that we previously would have gotten prior to NIL (See Kwame Evans and Mookie Cook)
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

dmjcat wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 2:09 pm You appear to have reading comprehension issues.
And here I thought we were having a nice conversation.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

tgrumpy2 wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 1:20 pm I'm not sure the courts will let them but the NCAA needs to get a handle on this NIL. Just like recruiting that used to be completely out of hand until limits were established. You can put a liberal amount on the limit but limits need to be put in place.
I agree that action is needed but the NCAA is pretty much power-less when it comes to dealing with the NIL problem. It will take legislative action (think Congress) to put some guard rails on the problem. Between NIL and greedy corporate media college football (and its traditions) are dying a slow death. The demise of the PAC12 is only the beginning. I fear that we may end up being in the same boat as Oregon State/WSU somewhere down the realignment road. Corporate Media seem intent on squeezing as much blood out of the turnip as possible. They appear to be pushing the college football landscape into 40 or so teams in a couple of Super Conferences.........nobody else will get the $$$$$
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

So JDL will get even more NIL money than the $8K he is already receiving monthly? Wonder how many donors realize that their money will be going to his victim.

Although most of the player names on their list I haven't heard of, and could certainly use the money more.

Desert Takeover is a fan-driven and alumni-led Name, Image, and Likeness (NIL) program for University of Arizona football student-athletes, alumni, and fans. When you commit to Desert Takeover, you’re committing to maximizing opportunities for football student-athletes to build their brand and earn compensation. Plus, you gain access to exclusive events, autograph sessions, and more. Whether you are a fan, alumni, or an organization, our common goal is to create partnerships and make an impact for the betterment of the community.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

That’s an interesting take.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Don't see where anything I posted wasn't the truth. This is just NIL money going to the players, nothing directly helping the UA FB program itself.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Merkin wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 11:03 am Don't see where anything I posted wasn't the truth. This is just NIL money going to the players, nothing directly helping the UA FB program itself.
Thats some rather strange logic.

When the UA has more NIL money to pass out to players they will be able to attract better quality recruits.......which most definitely benefits the UA football program directly. Just ask $Phil Knight$ and Oregon.
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

The vultures are going to be all over this team as soon as the season ends. We have to find a way keep them and this is probably the most realistic way.

edit: Im buying in!
Mike Luke's burner account.
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

Mike Luke's burner account.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

dmjcat wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 11:52 am
Merkin wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 11:03 am Don't see where anything I posted wasn't the truth. This is just NIL money going to the players, nothing directly helping the UA FB program itself.
Thats some rather strange logic.

When the UA has more NIL money to pass out to players they will be able to attract better quality recruits.......which most definitely benefits the UA football program directly. Just ask $Phil Knight$ and Oregon.
I think for Merkin it boils down to he isn't happy that JDL gets anything. I understand that.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

dmjcat wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 11:52 am When the UA has more NIL money to pass out to players

Greg is right, this about JDL for me. I would personally not donate a dime if any money goes to him.

But my point is that this is money for the players, not for the program. Note I said "directly". Indirectly the NIL program helps the program by getting better recruits, so we are in agreement. Just that if you want the program to have better facilities or equipment, this is not where you should put your money.

Remember that schools are not allowed to put any money in NIL collectives, or have any university staff work in NIL organizations. So it's not the UA giving out the NIL money.

However, coaches can assist recruits in getting the best NIL for the buck, but cannot offer recruits guaranteed NIL money. Wink, wink.

Also, NIL donations are generally not tax exempt, unlike donations to universities.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Not much but its a start. I think that Congress is going to have to intervene

https://www.boundingintosports.com/2024 ... -athletes/
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

https://247sports.com/Article/how-real- ... efb100cc90

How real is NIL? Anonymous recruits in college football's 2024 class dish on collectives, contracts and more
Fifteen four- and five-star recruits disclosed to 247Sports either exactly what they’ll receive or around what they’ll earn at their school of choice. The values run the gamut from a few thousand a month to around a million a year.

CHRIS HUMMER
Feb 6th, 10:05 AM

SAN ANTONIO — How much do incoming recruits earn from name, image and likeness (NIL) deals? It’s among the most speculated topics in college football, with rumors far outpacing actual information and context. With more than 100 of the nation’s best players gathered in San Antonio earlier this year for the All-American Bowl, 247Sports asked more than two-dozen blue-chip recruits about a variety of topics, including the engine of the recent disruption in the sport: Money and how it’s distributed.

“Everybody likes money, but it’s kind of the money?” a top-100 recruit said about what he’d change in college football. “I think people don’t play for the right thing in college football no more because they’re getting paid almost the same amount as NFL players, so it’s kind of the money.

“But I like money, so I ain’t going to say that.”

Recruits did say a lot about money in their conversations with 247Sports. To allow players to speak freely, 247Sports granted them anonymity to discuss the details of their contracts and how the NIL process works in college football recruiting. It’s an issue that’s largely been shrouded in secrecy given the fact that NIL contracts are not publicly disclosed — collectives are private entities — and are not available through public record requests, like coaching contracts are, at public schools.

Fifteen four- and five-star recruits disclosed to 247Sports either exactly what they’ll receive or around what they’ll earn at their school of choice. The values run the gambit from a few thousand a month to around a million a year.

Recruit 1: $350,000 a year

Recruit 2: $400,000 a year

Recruit 3: $120,000 a year

Recruit 4: $180,000 a year

Recruit 5: $120,000 a year

Recruit 6: $72,000 a year

Recruit 7: $75,000 a year

Recruit 8: $400,000 a year

Recruit 9: Around $1 million a year

Recruit 10: A few thousand dollars a month

Recruit 11: Between $600,000 and $800,000 a year

Recruit 12: Low-to-mid-six figures a year

Recruit 13: Around $200,000 a year

Recruit 14: $500,000 a year

Recruit 15: Around $150,000 a year

That’s how much blue-chip recruits can make — every player surveyed held a 91 rating or better in the 2024 Top247. Here’s what they had to say about how NIL works.

HOW THE CONTRACTS WORK

NIL agreements can vary greatly from school to school and collective to collective, but there were some commonalities in the responses when 247Sports asked players how their deals were structured.

Usually, the first year of a contract is guaranteed at a certain number. But there are often incentives for players to raise their NIL payments based on how they play. Conversely, a few players mentioned their NIL payments could go down if they don’t perform well. Beyond cash, players often also receive additional incentives like a leased vehicle.

“The way I have it, the first two years are 400 guaranteed, and after my sophomore year I can ask to renegotiate based on how I play,” Recruit 2 said.

“If you produce, you get bonuses,” Recruit 12 said. “Some schools do it differently, but that’s how ours does it.”

As for what players must do to earn the money, responses varied from appearing at charity events and social media posts to just being on the team.

“It’s a collective thing,” Recruit 6 said. “Just be part of the team, everybody gets it.”

Recruit 2 said that there were no off-field requirements tied to his pay.

“I think it’s just from the collective,” he said.

There are some schools, even top-25 programs, that do not aggressively hand out NIL dollars. One elite recruit who signed with an annual conference title contender said that it’s on the players to seek out potential deals.

They’re not handed to them as an incentive to enroll.

“We get NIL,” one top-100 player said. “We have to earn it, though. He’s not going to point us to people and say, ‘Oh, give him an NIL deal.’ They have to do their research on us to come give us NIL.”

As for what happens if a player chooses to enter the transfer portal — a commonality in this era — most recruits told 247Sports that their contracts would be void if they opted to leave.

MYTHS ABOUT NIL

Thirteen million dollars for a transfer portal class, $30 million for a recruiting class — you hear it all in the college football rumor mill, where posters like Sliced Bread can lead to national headlines.

But what’s real with NIL numbers and what isn’t?

You can go ahead and trash any thoughts that most recruits are getting paid millions annually to attend a school.

“People get paid to play,” Recruit 14 said. “But the numbers that you be hearing are outrageous. … People are just lying and pushing it past what it is.”

This isn’t to say that the numbers won’t approach a million a year for special players at specific positions.

Recruit 14 told 247Sports that he and several other All-American Bowl players discussed how some quarterbacks could command a million dollars a year on the open market.

As for the valuations made by outsiders, players had mixed responses about how accurate those are.

Multiple blue-chip recruits told 247Sports that the numbers they see are spot-on while others, like Recruit 1, said that his were way off.

“I’d say 50-50,” Recruit 6 said. “Speculation sounds better than whatever actually happens.”

There’s also an assumption out there that players always take the most money. But that isn’t always the case, recruits insisted. A pair of five-star recruits told 247Sports that they took less money to attend the school they signed with, which meant losing out on hundreds of thousands of dollars.

NIL is just one part of the equation as players make their decisions. Some will prioritize money. But others will go where they’ll be developed or simply want to be.

“My school wasn’t the school that offered me the most money,” Recruit 3 said. “A lot of schools just threw out money and stuff. But I’m not chasing money. I want to play and perform.”

For as many good things that come from NIL, there are horror stories out there about bad contracts from collectives or marketing agents.

Look no further than former Florida DT Gervon Dexter, who signed a $436,485 NIL deal with a speculative investment capital company in 2022 with the caveat that the company, Big League Advanced Fund, would get 15% of his NFL earning for the next 25 years.

That type of predatory deal, along with collectives not coming through on payments, is something that athletes are leery of.

One top-100 recruit told 247Sports the schools that made him the wariest were those who offered an open checkbook from the start.

“Schools just told me, ‘Give me a number and you can commit at that number,” that recruit said. “It was intriguing, but it kind of felt like a trap.”

As for when NIL comes up in conversations with schools and collectives, recruits said it can vary greatly.

Recruit 3 said that NIL money didn’t come up with any schools until his official visits, while Recruit 7 said that some schools just “throw it out there” very early in the process.

Some recruits were largely kept out of the process, too, by their parents and representation.

One five-star recruit told 247Sports that he’d been “domed” from the negotiations to allow him to focus on everything else.

60% off annual VIP membership! Get the latest football and recruiting scoop on your favorite college team today.

“You have to thread out the real, because people throw numbers at you a lot,” Recruit 11 said.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Just to be clear due to some verbiage in that article, no schools can offer money, including from any coaching or other school employees.

But without a doubt, coaches and the collectives work very closely together.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

The Coolest Cats for Crest…
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Fucking love that shit. Make those kids Tucson stars.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

That’s the way NIL should work. Business opportunities in the community or by their own making. The pay for play just is not what I think NIL was meant for.

Wish those guys would have said 24 and 25
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

azcat49 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 5:11 pm That’s the way NIL should work. Business opportunities in the community or by their own making. The pay for play just is not what I think NIL was meant for.

Wish those guys would have said 24 and 25
No way T Mac is here in 25. Fingers crossed on Noah.

Maybe with some Crest toothpaste money LOL
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I can't imagine Fifita going to the league. He's a short little guy and that video with T-Mac even makes it more obvious when they are standing next to each other.

Noah lists at 5'11". Cowing was listed at 5'11" too, and ended up measuring at 5'8" at the Senior Bowl.

T-Mac, well we just have to enjoy him next season and wish him the best.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »