Cats can't compete regularly in recruiting with the big schools & their money

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

gronk4heisman

Re: Cats can't compete regularly in recruiting with the big schools & their money

Post by gronk4heisman »

It is funny when someone tells someone they don't understand business but don't understand business. If a school feels Nike is screwing them over with kids they can easily get the same (or more money) from other apparel companies like Adidas and UA.

Also, here is some reading about the Oregon schools and NIL.

https://www.oregonlive.com/sports/john_ ... tions.html
Chicat

Re: Cats can't compete regularly in recruiting with the big schools & their money

Post by Chicat »

All of Phil Knight’s money didn’t stop Tetairoa McMillan from flipping to the Cats. You’d think it would be low hanging fruit to convince a kid to stay with a six figure handshake.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:09 pm
dmjcat wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:57 pm "If he wanted to drop millions, he'd be doing it. He isn't". :lol: :lol: :lol:

You are right Spiff, he isn't dropping millions..........its approaching BILLIONS :lol: :lol: :lol:

"Yes, there's going to be blowback. Nike has deals with Texas and Ohio State worth over 250 million each. There's a contract with requirements. Nike signed those deals because they believe those schools will generate enough revenue to pay the deal off."

You obviously don't understand business or the relation between Nike and colleges. Colleges will crawl on their bellys to get Phils money. Nobody in their right mind is going to subject $$$Phil$$$ to "Blowback" over paying a recruit. Have you seen
ANY University showing any Blowback to Nike over their foreign child sweatshops???..............I didn't think so.
As Greg says, there's a difference between Knight donating to Oregon and paying particular athletes to go to Oregon. He's paid zero athletes.

I'll respectfully disagree that schools will crawl for Phil. Under Armour signed UCLA for 15 years, 280 million. Adidas's Kansas deal is 14 for 191 mil and Louisville is 10 years, 160 mil.

It's silly to think OSU and Texas won't get comparable $ from Adidas or UA if they jumped. This doesn't even touch on coaches, either.

Nike directly routes money to coaches, as do Adidas and Under Armour. I'll link a detailed article below. You think Nick Saban's cool with his shoe company paying players to go to Oregon? Saban does seem like the quiet, mousy type who'd just take that lying down.

https://www.bizjournals.com/portland/bl ... aches.html

There are multiple levels of issues Knight would trigger by paying players and he is clearly not doing it. Like Chi says, Arizona can fully compete in this realm in basketball. Football is harder because we consistently suck and have less booster motivation.
He's paid ZERO athletes??????

Obviously you haven't been paying attention :lol: :lol: :lol:
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

The train wreck that is the NIL is still only in the top half of the first inning.......with nobody out. Phil is already taking steps to benefit Oregon

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

How is that any different than what other schools can offer as far as the NIL?

And you’re looking at it wrong. It benefits the student athletes. Their performance is what is beneficial to the school. That hasn’t changed. The school is getting the same thing they always have… talented athletes. It’s what the athletes get that has changed, and for the better.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Chicat wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:37 pm How is that any different than what other schools can offer as far as the NIL?

And you’re looking at it wrong. It benefits the student athletes. Their performance is what is beneficial to the school. That hasn’t changed. The school is getting the same thing they always have… talented athletes. It’s what the athletes get that has changed, and for the better.
Its not. And I completely agree that it benefits the High Visibility student athlettes.

I was just responding to Spiffs silly statement that Phil isn't paying student athletes through the NIL. He has not only done that, but he has created a separate entity (I would call it a shell company) through which he can funnel even more money to Oregon athletes.

I am expecting that at some point the NCAA is going to try to put some guard rails on this slow motion train wreck, but I think the genie is already out of the bottle. Interestingly the NCAA is already scared of what Phil has created and is now asking questions:

https://www.oregonlive.com/sports/john_ ... tions.html

"When NIL was first announced, I figured it would curb some of the cheating that goes on behind the scenes in college athletics. But now, I’m not so sure. I asked Beavers’ athletic director Scott Barnes last week whether he thought NIL invited more or less cheating in college athletics.

He didn’t hesitate.

”It invites more and I say that because of the NCAA’s lack of leadership in governing it,” Barnes said. “I do believe it invites more cheating.”
Last edited by dmjcat on Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

dmjcat wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:19 pm
dmjcat wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:57 pm "If he wanted to drop millions, he'd be doing it. He isn't". :lol: :lol: :lol:

You are right Spiff, he isn't dropping millions..........its approaching BILLIONS :lol: :lol: :lol:

"Yes, there's going to be blowback. Nike has deals with Texas and Ohio State worth over 250 million each. There's a contract with requirements. Nike signed those deals because they believe those schools will generate enough revenue to pay the deal off."

You obviously don't understand business or the relation between Nike and colleges. Colleges will crawl on their bellys to get Phils money. Nobody in their right mind is going to subject $$$Phil$$$ to "Blowback" over paying a recruit. Have you seen
ANY University showing any Blowback to Nike over their foreign child sweatshops???..............I didn't think so.
As Greg says, there's a difference between Knight donating to Oregon and paying particular athletes to go to Oregon. He's paid zero athletes.

I'll respectfully disagree that schools will crawl for Phil. Under Armour signed UCLA for 15 years, 280 million. Adidas's Kansas deal is 14 for 191 mil and Louisville is 10 years, 160 mil.

It's silly to think OSU and Texas won't get comparable $ from Adidas or UA if they jumped. This doesn't even touch on coaches, either.

Nike directly routes money to coaches, as do Adidas and Under Armour. I'll link a detailed article below. You think Nick Saban's cool with his shoe company paying players to go to Oregon? Saban does seem like the quiet, mousy type who'd just take that lying down.

There are multiple levels of issues Knight would trigger by paying players and he is clearly not doing it. Like Chi says, Arizona can fully compete in this realm in basketball. Football is harder because we consistently suck and have less booster motivation.

That deal is collaborating with Knight and Hatfield to sell NFT's. This is Hatfield explaining the payment structure.

"I can’t gift him anything. But the way it works through this cryptocurrency process is that we entered into an agreement. And he also had to enter into an agreement with the University of Oregon. And both entities, me as the artist, and the University of Oregon, because their logo is in this art, we took the minimum amount of the potential proceeds. So my take on it would be 12.5 percent. And the University of Oregon, at first, was going to do the same. But then they were able to do a special sort of one-time exclusion and got their take down to 10 percent.

But the reality is that Kayvon, when it’s all said and done, he owns this file. And let’s just say he makes $100,000. He gets to keep roughly 78 percent of that. That’s the hope, is that it goes into a level that’s actually meaningful."

That's the sum total of what Phil Knight did for Thibodeaux, who was entering his 3rd year at Oregon and a possible #1 pick. Nothing to recruits, not handing money to players.

Man, Arizona could never match that. A possible #1 pick making 78.5% of NFT sales. Shoot, Deandre Ayton probably got twice what Thibodeaux did without NIL.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:11 pm
dmjcat wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:19 pm

That deal is collaborating with Knight and Hatfield to sell NFT's. This is Hatfield explaining the payment structure.

"I can’t gift him anything. But the way it works through this cryptocurrency process is that we entered into an agreement. And he also had to enter into an agreement with the University of Oregon. And both entities, me as the artist, and the University of Oregon, because their logo is in this art, we took the minimum amount of the potential proceeds. So my take on it would be 12.5 percent. And the University of Oregon, at first, was going to do the same. But then they were able to do a special sort of one-time exclusion and got their take down to 10 percent.

But the reality is that Kayvon, when it’s all said and done, he owns this file. And let’s just say he makes $100,000. He gets to keep roughly 78 percent of that. That’s the hope, is that it goes into a level that’s actually meaningful."

That's the sum total of what Phil Knight did for Thibodeaux, who was entering his 3rd year at Oregon and a possible #1 pick. Nothing to recruits, not handing money to players.

Man, Arizona could never match that. A possible #1 pick making 78.5% of NFT sales. Shoot, Deandre Ayton probably got twice what Thibodeaux did without NIL.
For Gods sake you stated "He's paid zero athletes".............You are and were dead wrong.

You really should quit while you are behind.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

dmj, why does it always end up being an argument about semantics with you? If you could offer up any concrete evidence that somehow Oregon is set up for success at a higher level under the NIL than every other school you would have already provided it and wouldn’t be arguing (incorrectly) about the definition of paying players.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Chicat wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:31 pm dmj, why does it always end up being an argument about semantics with you? If you could offer up any concrete evidence that somehow Oregon is set up for success at a higher level under the NIL than every other school you would have already provided it and wouldn’t be arguing (incorrectly) about the definition of paying players.
Nothing to do with semantics.

Spiff stated (repeatedly in this thread) that Knight hasn't paid any UO athletes. I have provided numerous sources that point
out how factually inaccurate that is. If you don't understand that then you obviously have reading comprehension issues and I can't help you.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

dmjcat wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:01 pm
Chicat wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:31 pm dmj, why does it always end up being an argument about semantics with you? If you could offer up any concrete evidence that somehow Oregon is set up for success at a higher level under the NIL than every other school you would have already provided it and wouldn’t be arguing (incorrectly) about the definition of paying players.

Spiff stated (repeatedly in this thread) that Knight hasn't paid any UO athletes. I have provided numerous sources that point
out how factually inaccurate that is. If you don't understand that then you obviously have reading comprehension issues and I can't help you.
We'll have to disagree on two things. First, we're talking in the recruiting context and neither of the benefits you cited deal with recruits. They only apply to current Oregon players.

Second, neither example is Knight simply giving someone money. The house, players draw $ through money paid by tenants who stay there while the player lives there. Thibodeaux's NFT is primarily funded by sales, not by Knight simply bankrolling him.

To Chi's point, I very much do see this as a difference of semantics. You started by saying Knight would toss $ at recruits. I regard that as very different than providing an opportunity for current players to essentially earn a commission from sales of an NFT or B&B.

You may disagree, but I'm not going to attack you for reading comprehension. You may simply have a different view of what this is, but that does not mean I'm backing down from my view that what Knight has done is not close to what your stated concern was.
AV8RCAT

Post by AV8RCAT »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:34 am

We'll have to disagree on two things. First, we're talking in the recruiting context and neither of the benefits you cited deal with recruits. They only apply to current Oregon players.

Second, neither example is Knight simply giving someone money. The house, players draw $ through money paid by tenants who stay there while the player lives there. Thibodeaux's NFT is primarily funded by sales, not by Knight simply bankrolling him.

To Chi's point, I very much do see this as a difference of semantics. You started by saying Knight would toss $ at recruits. I regard that as very different than providing an opportunity for current players to essentially earn a commission from sales of an NFT or B&B.

You may disagree, but I'm not going to attack you for reading comprehension. You may simply have a different view of what this is, but that does not mean I'm backing down from my view that what Knight has done is not close to what your stated concern was.
More people should disagree in this fashion.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

AV8RCAT wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:02 am

More people should disagree in this fashion.
Thank you. I can't say I've always been perfect in this area but I do try to rely on disagreements with people's arguments and leave ad hominem attacks out of it. Online is online, but in general, we're all better with calmer, more reasoned dialogue.

Like I said, I may not be perfect in this area, but I try.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

LOL, now we are talking semantics.

Sorry Spiff, I suggest you go back and look at what you actually posted:

"He has paid zero athletes"

"NIL is fully available and he hasn't leveraged a single deal for Oregon yet"

Actually 273 Oregon athletes have now been paid through "Uncle Phils" NIL company. The CEO of Division Street happens to be an ex-Nike VP. The chairman of the board of Division Street is another Nike ex VP (what a shocking coincidence). How do you think they are funding this............Salvation Army Donation Kettles :lol: :lol: :lol:

Give it up. Phis funneling money into the pockets of UO athletes. 58 of which happen to be on the football team.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

dmjcat wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:15 am

Actually 273 Oregon athletes have now been paid through "Uncle Phils" NIL company. The CEO of Division Street happens to be an ex-Nike VP. The chairman of the board of Division Street is another Nike ex VP (what a shocking coincidence). How do you think they are funding this............Salvation Army Donation Kettles :lol: :lol: :lol:

Give it up. Phis funneling money into the pockets of UO athletes. 58 of which happen to be on the football team.
Here is a quote from your article about what Division Street does for Oregon athletes.

"Division Street was founded to assist University of Oregon student athletes with monetizing their NIL by leveraging the decades of experience across its team to give branding, marketing, sponsorship, digital and creative support. "

To my point, Knight or Division Street are not paying. They are setting an agency to assist Oregon athletes with developing NIL deals in which those athletes get paid by sources other than Division Street.

This is also not shocking and unique to Oregon and Knight. Again, from your article:

"Collectives have already started to support student athletes of other schools, such as Auburn University, University of Florida, University of Miami, University of Michigan, University of South Carolina, and University of Washington."

So I respectfully am not giving it up as your cited proof does not support the conclusion you give to it. Further, I ask you consider that the statement of mine about Knight paying zero athletes was a direct response to a post of yours in which spoke of him paying recruits.

The post of yours I am responding to is important in understanding the context of my statement.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:26 am
dmjcat wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:15 am

Here is a quote from your article about what Division Street does for Oregon athletes.

"Division Street was founded to assist University of Oregon student athletes with monetizing their NIL by leveraging the decades of experience across its team to give branding, marketing, sponsorship, digital and creative support. "

To my point, Knight or Division Street are not paying. They are setting an agency to assist Oregon athletes with developing NIL deals in which those athletes get paid by sources other than Division Street.

This is also not shocking and unique to Oregon and Knight. Again, from your article:

"Collectives have already started to support student athletes of other schools, such as Auburn University, University of Florida, University of Miami, University of Michigan, University of South Carolina, and University of Washington."

So I respectfully am not giving it up as your cited proof does not support the conclusion you give to it. Further, I ask you consider that the statement of mine about Knight paying zero athletes was a direct response to a post of yours in which spoke of him paying recruits.

The post of yours I am responding to is important in understanding the context of my statement.

Surrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeee, Phil's money has nothing to do with Division Street.

Do you also believe in the tooth fairy??? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

How about this little NIL deal before Christmas?(see below).

Who do you think originally paid for the Air Jordans??? The Little Sisters of the Poor?? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

DMJ, I won't quote this to infinity because it's not progressing anything.

Your last post says Knight funded Division Street. Again, that is irrelevant to my point. My point is that Division Street does not pay players, so there is no line of money from Knight to players.

Division Street assists players in managing NIL opportunities. That is explicitly said in your Forbes article.

Your more recent article says the same thing. Division Street is not paying players or auctioning shoes. StockX is auctioning the shoes, the proceeds of which partially go to players. Thus, Knight is not the source of any money players get.

As I said, I'm out of this discussion as it is clearly not being advanced and we're just going around and around on identical points. Peace be with you.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:41 pm DMJ, I won't quote this to infinity because it's not progressing anything.

Your last post says Knight funded Division Street. Again, that is irrelevant to my point. My point is that Division Street does not pay players, so there is no line of money from Knight to players.

Division Street assists players in managing NIL opportunities. That is explicitly said in your Forbes article.

Your more recent article says the same thing. Division Street is not paying players or auctioning shoes. StockX is auctioning the shoes, the proceeds of which partially go to players. Thus, Knight is not the source of any money players get.

As I said, I'm out of this discussion as it is clearly not being advanced and we're just going around and around on identical points. Peace be with you.
"Knight is not the source of any money players get" If you believe this you really should go live on that island with Tattoo and Mr. O'Rourke :lol:

Nike gave the shoes to UO (Nike IS Phil Knight)

Phils shoes were auctioned off through an NIL shell company created by him (and run by 2 of his flunkies). The money went straight to the football team.

Only a gullible fool would believe that Knight is NOT the source of the funds.

UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

:roll:
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

dmjcat wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:03 pm
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:41 pm DMJ, I won't quote this to infinity because it's not progressing anything.

"Knight is not the source of any money players get" If you believe this you really should go live on that island with Tattoo and Mr. O'Rourke :lol:

Nike gave the shoes to UO (Nike IS Phil Knight)

Phils shoes were auctioned off through an NIL shell company created by him (and run by 2 of his flunkies). The money went straight to the football team.

Only a gullible fool would believe that Knight is NOT the source of the funds.

Trust me, I am quitting.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

The general public can also contribute to the Friends of Wilbur & Wilma program just in case any of you are worried about our ability to compete regularly in recruiting with the big schools and their money.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

UCLA is losing their best pass rusher. Reportedly for 60k NIl from another PAC-12. You guys think you can't compete? UCLA is in a world of trouble
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Nobody wants to play at a school that condones spitting...
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

That is just nature taking its course.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Is Hooter's still a thing? Can't even remember the last time I saw one.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Merkin wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:03 am Is Hooter's still a thing? Can't even remember the last time I saw one.
Come to Indiana my friend.

On second thought, don’t. It ain’t worth it.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Merkin wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:03 am Is Hooter's still a thing? Can't even remember the last time I saw one.
There's a bunch of them here in Phoenix.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Yep, and Tilted Kilt and Twin Peaks and Ojos Locos are out there too.
-JB
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

-JB
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Why is amateurism important?

And Wong’s agent can say whatever he wants. Doesn’t mean he’s going to get it at Miami or anywhere else.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Miami did that to themselves with the wildly public Pack "signing"
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

I think Nick Saban agrees with DMJ. Did you hear him say Texas A&M bought all their players and has an article questioning whether they (Ala) will be able to compete soon. What a joke when Nick Saban himself said Alabama QB's were getting over a million while expressing disbelieve.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

And I'm sure it'll all add up to another disappointing season for Miami. Priceless!
Mike Luke's burner account.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I am all for kids cashing in on their name and image. They should get a piece of jersey sales and promo images but just straight up cash for signing is crazy stupid. This was not the intent
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

I’m waiting for the Tucson Lamborghini dealership to give one of our running backs an NIL deal worth $100,000.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Postmaster wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:54 pm I’m waiting for the Tucson Lamborghini dealership to give one of our running backs an NIL deal worth $100,000.
Just don't include Ben Affleck in the process...

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/ben ... 23106.html
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

I'm surprised dmjcat hasn't already posted this story
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

84Cat wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 1:06 pm I'm surprised dmjcat hasn't already posted this story
Well I would have but you beat me to it!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

In all seriousness, however, stories like this and the recent basketball recruiting wins at Oregon (Mookie & Evans) have
pretty much demonstrated that the poor old UA isn't going to compete with the monied schools in the era of NIL, at least for the 5 stars.

I wonder if Spaceman Spiff & Chicat still believe Phil Knight isn't paying athletes at Oregon.

I'm sure Kwame Evans and Mookie Cook signed with $Oregon$ for purely altruistic reasons :lol: :lol: :lol:
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Folks, here is your chance to be just like Phil Knight and payoff college athletes directly!

https://arizonawildcats.com/news/2022/1 ... atics.aspx
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

-JB
Basketcats

Post by Basketcats »

Yep soon all this money is gonna make it's way down to the Pop Warner / Pee Wee leagues and teach kids how to be greedier, lazier and even more of a pain in the ass than they already are. SMH
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Fendicent4ever

Post by Fendicent4ever »

Interesting. Few things here. I'm sure there will be initial enthusiasm in Tempe to support Kenny. He's a great story. But, I think nationally all these shiny collectives will peter out or at least settle. I just don't think people who weren't already involved will feel incentivized to participate. Big big players who may or may not have gotten cars for Miles Simon or whoever will still be around. But at some point, those small dollar donors will want to see ROI.

Maybe some of our young studs decide to leave. Maybe we find more. On this our assistant coaches who may or may not speak to guys who can't spell have just as much experience in this as we do.

Ultimately, if its an outcome where a kid like Tetairoa McMillan, Spencer Larsen, Tui, and on and on are getting theirs for being on billboards, in commercials, etc, I'm cool with it. For most of these kids, with the exception of a rounding errors worth, the money is ultimately the same and its more about scheme, coaches, school (you know, fit) than an extra 20k from Chad's Heating and Air. You want to play and be featured so you can get a real bag in a few years.

Arizona State isn't bringing over a Playoff level roster (nevermind a power 5 one) because they set up the Sugar 44 Collective 2 years after every other school did. And btw the NCAA is going to be flailing as it peters out into governing irrelevance. ASU has a long road ahead of them.

How many of the 4 stars/high 3 stars in the 05 or 06 class were really contributing in year one beyond a token game or two? Devin Ross, Mike Shelton kinda, then the list tapers off.

At the end of the day, Jedd played the kids this season. Ephysians, Tacario, Sterling, Jacob, Ta'itai, Deuce, Tetairoa, Noah, Big and Little Jonah, Wendell, Keyan... all of our guys played and featured. To say nothing of the transfers. And btw his specific signees from the year before- Simpson and Isaiah- were big pieces themselves. Thats a damn good batting average and absolutely blows away previous staffs' track record with blue chippers.

Let Venezia's Pizza raise all the money they want. Tempe Tech is still on the wrong path.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

T-Mac has huge hands!
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Thanks to Jim Click for supporting our team and university.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »