59 Jacob Manu

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ANGCatFan

59 Jacob Manu

Post by ANGCatFan »

Manu is a 5-11, 210, Freshman linebacker from Servite HS, Anaheim, CA. Last year he had 95 tackles (7 for a loss), 2 sacks, and 1 forced fumble. Here is Brandon Combs', AZDS, take:
Manu is a stud. It’s actually a crime he was so underrecruited, especially being a successful linebacker on one of the best teams in the country and toughest leagues in the country. In fact, he was so successful he was named Trinity League Defensive MVP.

First and foremost, Manu is incredibly aggressive. He doesn’t let his size, nor opponent, affect his play or intimidate for him. He plays downhill and doesn’t shy away from contact. He delivers a pretty powerful hit when meeting the ball carrier. That power comes from his speed and explosion he produces from his lower body, allowing him to close the gap on his opponent quickly. In fact, he looks like he is shot out of a cannon most of the time.

Manu does possess great vision and football IQ as well. There are multiple instances of him using his size to hide behind the line, dissect the play, and react with very positive results for Servite’s defense.

He is another very solid addition to the defense by Jedd Fisch. He will fit nicely at WILL and may even be able to slide over to MIKE from time to time.
Coach Nansen on Manu:

54 yards was Will Plummer's longest pass last year.
Last edited by ANGCatFan on Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
azcat49

Re: 54 Days Jacob Manu

Post by azcat49 »

Looking forward to this guys development. I think we as fans will love him. I expect him to make a bunch of plays in his career
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
OSUCat

Re: 59 Jacob Manu

Post by OSUCat »

I was generally impressed with how Manu played in his first meaningful game, against NDSU. PFF graded him at 61, better than all other LBs. With Kolbe Cage rating upper 30’s against MSU and 40 against NDSU should Manu start getting more reps?

Pff grades provided here: https://www.azdesertswarm.com/football/ ... kota-state
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Not a strong cover guy like Cage is. Cage being a former safety is tasked with more covers in Nansens system and he had a PBU in the last couple of games

Manu comes straight downhill and does a great job but he couldn’t FDR in his wheelchair right now. That was the perfect game for him
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

I don’t disagree with what you said, except it’s not playing out in games. Cage rated a 34 by PFF against MSU. No other defender was rated less than 50 against MSU. In three games, Cage has been the lowest rated defensive player at 54, 34, and 40. In first meaningful minutes Manu managed a 61. I fully understand that Manu could have done worse against MSU, but What this shows me is even if Cage is better at coverage in practice, Manu should have a shot on a few more first and second downs.

I understand that it might come down to trust, and Manu arriving late meant he didn’t have enough time to establish that trust. Maybe the NDSU can be a step forward in establishing that trust with the DC.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Certainly should see more snaps but I think it will be more on early downs. We do have an issue with both having opposite skill sets that could really help the team. Don’t get me wrong though, I love Manu and can live with his mistakes in coverage
Fendicent4ever

Post by Fendicent4ever »

Jacob and Kolbe both feel to me like guys who in about 24 months will have the game going in slow motion for them. Very complimentary skillsets and they are VERY young.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I guess PFF scores are not an indicator. His has been poor all season.