Post by azcat49 »

That is a boatload of freshman playing. Going to be a fun year
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Irish27

Re: SDSU

Post by Irish27 »

You don't see this happen a lot. Hoke and the athletic director walk out of their press conference.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Is Russel Davis' weight wrong too? No way he is playing at 210 on the DL.
TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

Merkin wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:57 pm Bunch of starters last season now on the bottom of the depth chart.
Some reversals of fortune. As far as starters go, not that many surprises. Everybody knew T-Mac and Saviinaea would start on offense. I was a little surprised they named smallish Kolbe Cage a starter at LB, but I'm sure they want somebody with a motor there. Not too surprised with the skill position 2s on offense, and I guess they figure Luke will start out mostly as a return man, maybe mostly to keep him upright. But not even naming a full two-deep on the O-line makes you go hmmm. Beyond the 4 second-stringers named, you've got a couple of journeymen, a walk-on, and true freshmen. On the 2's D-Line, surprised to see underweight Russell Davis backing up Echols, but I guess they figure he'll mostly play in space. Also surprised to see walk-on Jeremy Mercier as a backup DE. I also expected UCLA transfer D.J. Warnell to at least be on the two-deep at safety, but it's a long season. On the 3's, you're mostly looking for bodies to round things out and be ready for the inevitable emergencies. But I still had to look up WR Jaden Clark and nickel-back Jeffrey Robinson. The other thing that hit me was 5 true freshmen on the 2's, and 8 on the 3's. It reminded me of the Star's season preview headline in Dick Tomey's rebuilding year of 1991: "Cats Boast Youth." It was a struggle. We'll see how we do with a team that can throw the ball a little bit.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

TheCatInTheHat wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:14 pm
Merkin wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:57 pm Bunch of starters last season now on the bottom of the depth chart.
Some reversals of fortune. As far as starters go, not that many surprises. Everybody knew T-Mac and Saviinaea would start on offense. I was a little surprised they named smallish Kolbe Cage a starter at LB, but I'm sure they want somebody with a motor there. Not too surprised with the skill position 2s on offense, and I guess they figure Luke will start out mostly as a return man, maybe mostly to keep him upright. But not even naming a full two-deep on the O-line makes you go hmmm. Beyond the 4 second-stringers named, you've got a couple of journeymen, a walk-on, and true freshmen. On the 2's D-Line, surprised to see underweight Russell Davis backing up Echols, but I guess they figure he'll mostly play in space. Also surprised to see walk-on Jeremy Mercier as a backup DE. I also expected UCLA transfer D.J. Warnell to at least be on the two-deep at safety, but it's a long season. On the 3's, you're mostly looking for bodies to round things out and be ready for the inevitable emergencies. But I still had to look up WR Jaden Clark and nickel-back Jeffrey Robinson. The other thing that hit me was 5 true freshmen on the 2's, and 8 on the 3's. It reminded me of the Star's season preview headline in Dick Tomey's rebuilding year of 1991: "Cats Boast Youth." It was a struggle. We'll see how we do with a team that can throw the ball a little bit.
We have zero quality depth on the OL and the starters aren't too good to begin with.

We have moderately better depth on the DL but still not a lot of quality. This team will go as far as the OLine can pass & run block.

I still can't believe some people are predicting 3-4 wins. I honestly don't see a single game we will be favored in (North Dakota State??)
We could easily field a better team and still end up with 1 win.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Damn. Been a long off-season. Hope we've improved.

Personally, I think SDSU is going to roll us and it won't be close. But I'll be there hoping we can pull it off.

Our D has a chance of keeping us in it, but the Aztec D looks to be very good. Can the O line actually play like a D1 Oline? Has De Laura gelled with this new team? Will our youngsters perform?

I think if we can keep it close through the first half, we have a chance.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I like our chances. SDSU is starting 2 RS FR on the right side of the O line and Bermeister isn't anything special. I don't see SDSU scoring a lot of points.
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

azgreg wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:49 am I like our chances. SDSU is starting 2 RS FR on the right side of the O line and Bermeister isn't anything special. I don't see SDSU scoring a lot of points.
Normally I would agree but since when has our D been any good to exploit another teams potential weakness? Yeah the guys are older, but its guys that put very little pressure on QBs. Even against NAU we could only get 1 sack! It is also another new system. I really hope we show something this year, but I'm pretty damn skeptical.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

DrWildcat wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:07 am
azgreg wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:49 am I like our chances. SDSU is starting 2 RS FR on the right side of the O line and Bermeister isn't anything special. I don't see SDSU scoring a lot of points.
Normally I would agree but since when has our D been any good to exploit another teams potential weakness? Yeah the guys are older, but its guys that put very little pressure on QBs. Even against NAU we could only get 1 sack! It is also another new system. I really hope we show something this year, but I'm pretty damn skeptical.
I like what i saw at the scrimmages. We're bigger and stronger up front. We're going to more of a zone which should yield more turnovers. Comparing the depth charts for last years game and this years maybe half the guys from last year are either gone or aren't starting. We have 50 new guys on the roster and they're all better than the 50 guys they replaced.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Another thing, we're better at every group except maybe 2 than we were last year. Some of them we're leaps and bounds better. The 2 groups we're not better is O line and linebacker, however I don't think we're worse. Some of the O line problems fall on the junior college QB's we ran out there.

On the other hand I don't think SDSU is better than last year. Their defense should be as good but their offense took a step back.
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

azgreg wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:18 am
DrWildcat wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:07 am
I like what i saw at the scrimmages. We're bigger and stronger up front. We're going to more of a zone which should yield more turnovers. Comparing the depth charts for last years game and this years maybe half the guys from last year are either gone or aren't starting. We have 50 new guys on the roster and they're all better than the 50 guys they replaced.
I get what you're saying but I also feel like I've heard this every year. Then it turns out that our OL sucks which made the DL look ok in practice. We get into games and then we see they both are terrible. I've seen the increase in talent, but I'm not sure how much it changes the outcome this year. I just hope to see positive signs and to not have an embarrassing football team. Maybe I'm just too pessimistic.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Arkansas went 2-10, 2-10, 3-7 then went 9-4 in Sam Pittman's 2nd season. Why not Arizona?
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

azgreg wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:25 am Another thing, we're better at every group except maybe 2 than we were last year. Some of them we're leaps and bounds better. The 2 groups we're not better is O line and linebacker, however I don't think we're worse. Some of the O line problems fall on the junior college QB's we ran out there.

On the other hand I don't think SDSU is better than last year. Their defense should be as good but their offense took a step back.
LB is way worse

Dline same

Every other one is much better
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

Charlie Brown may be all dressed up in a new suit and tie but Lucy van Pelt is still holding the football.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Yeah, I feel like people (not just here, but other Arizona fans around the net) have bought in a little too much into the off season hype again. We wont be the disaster we were last year, but I don't think it'll be some huge dramatic improvement. Not expecting to win tomorrow but would love to be proven wrong. Fisch still needs to prove to me he can be a good in game coach.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Fendicent4ever

Post by Fendicent4ever »

AZCatGirl wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:27 pm Yeah, I feel like people (not just here, but other Arizona fans around the net) have bought in a little too much into the off season hype again. We wont be the disaster we were last year, but I don't think it'll be some huge dramatic improvement. Not expecting to win tomorrow but would love to be proven wrong. Fisch still needs to prove to me he can be a good in game coach.

Agreed. I don't see a bowl and I expect 3-5 wins tops. I think Jayden is miles clear of any of the QBs playing last season. God bless those kids for coming to Arizona, and I am glad they are here, but having a guy who can improvise and get the ball downfield will be huge. Plummer and Gunner just aren't Power 5 level quarterbacks at this time.

Heres what I want to see: An FBS sized D-line with continued strides from Harris and Kyon. Chris Roland-Wallace being a stud. The safeties reading their keys. Some FBS level guys rotating in will go a long way. The Cats D hung tight as long as they could with about 14 guys but wore out every week. On offense: Less false starts. I can't emphasize this enough. Thats an extra win by itself. Cowing and a couple receivers getting vertical. (Isn't it interesting that Tayvian Cunningham averaged about 110 yards a game against USC of all programs and maybe 25 yards against all other opponents?) Healthy Jamarye, consistent use of Keyan(I got his dads autograph on the Vikings in 1998...my god) and Alex Lines, Wiley and two other backs getting their hips square consistently. Don't waste a year of Rayshon Lukes eligibility- use him like James Rodgers in Corvallis instead of Tyrell Johnson by Rich Rod.

Stay healthy, play hard, be standup dudes, finish a little more in the red zone and this teams in games real late and things get interesting. We aren't an elite team and maybe aren't even good, but this conference also stinks. Games can be stolen.

That said, I'm all in on a program with optics like this. Always dug little things like open practice, players in suits in their photos, having a coach who enjoys recruiting and doesn't fall asleep at Fleming's are HUGE steps in the right direction. Time will tell if Jedd can coach, or if he can just play one on TV but I like the guy.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Starts today. Opinions are like assholes…everyone has one.

It all happens on the field so time to see which direction this program will be heading.
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

Who knows how good we will be, but I’m more optimistic then I have been in four years. I’m tired of being the crap at the bottom of the barrel - Thanks Sumlin!

GO CATS!!!

AZTECS SUCK!!!
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

F*ck SDSU.
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

How much pressure must Jedd be feeling to steal a win here and show that he’s not all offseason flash?
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Listen... we already won the offseason. Everything else is meaningless.

We are the Offseason Season Champs!!!!!!!!
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

I'll be in the stadium, so the 'Cats have zero chance.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Rece Davis picked Arizona as his super dog and an outright win…
TheCatInTheHat

Play Calling

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

OK, this is probably pretty basic, and anybody with vast years of Pop Warner coaching experience will likely disagree, but here's what I'd think you'd want to try and focus on against the size, experience, and scheme of SDSU's triple stack defense:

o Quick developing running plays bounced outside (including keepers)
o If we have any option in our playbook, that would be interesting
o Short drops, bubble screens, look for the TEs in the crease
o Slant-ins on deeper routes
o Red Zone: look for mismatches with Lines, Burnett, T-Mac, and AJ Jones
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Let hope they have a good game against SDSU and not get blown out of the gate early.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

I’m sorry but this play calling thing to me reeks of Monday morning quarterbacking. Yeah, if we run the ball up the middle 50x and produce nothing I get it.

Just execute our assignments on offense/defense/ST a little better than SDSU and don’t shoot ourselves in the foot with penalties and turnovers is what I’m looking for as we will not be out talenting them. We have little room for error.

It’s definitely a winnable game if that occurs and that’s all we can ask for.
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

"Well, when you're playing good football, it's good football and if you don't have good football, then you're not really playing good football."

- John Madden.
Mike Luke's burner account.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

AZCatGirl wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:27 pm Yeah, I feel like people (not just here, but other Arizona fans around the net) have bought in a little too much into the off season hype again. We wont be the disaster we were last year, but I don't think it'll be some huge dramatic improvement. Not expecting to win tomorrow but would love to be proven wrong. Fisch still needs to prove to me he can be a good in game coach.
I tend to agree but we can go three and nine and look like a totally different team
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

EastCoastCat wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 11:23 am I’m sorry but this play calling thing to me reeks of Saturday morning quarterbacking.
Nope; just football discussion on how to attack a particular scheme.
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

ASUHATER! wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 11:56 am
I tend to agree but we can go three and nine and look like a totally different team
100%. If we are going to lose a lot of games, at least let’s be competitive and keep them close. Next year hopefully we can learn some lessons and turn those into wins.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

It's never felt so good to be wrong. :D
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

Fabulous way to start the season. I thought it was possible, but not particularly likely. I've got three take-aways from this game. First, for a nice chunk of the early game, they didn't make many mistakes for a Game 1; good coaching. Second, they made a few as the game wore on, which is great for the coaches to keep their balloons from getting too inflated and focus on improvement. Third, we're tired of losing, but they're REALLY tired of losing. So there's a big motivation to go out there and give the necessary effort to keep winning. No doubt there'll be injuries and dog days with the way the schedule plays out down the road, but for now, this is a great situation for this team and coaching staff.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Didn’t they say the SDSU student body section was chanting “1-11” to us during warm ups?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

TheCatInTheHat wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 4:15 pm Fabulous way to start the season. I thought it was possible, but not particularly likely. I've got three take-aways from this game. First, for a nice chunk of the early game, they didn't make many mistakes for a Game 1; good coaching. Second, they made a few as the game wore on, which is great for the coaches to keep their balloons from getting too inflated and focus on improvement. Third, we're tired of losing, but they're REALLY tired of losing. So there's a big motivation to go out there and give the necessary effort to keep winning. No doubt there'll be injuries and dog days with the way the schedule plays out down the road, but for now, this is a great situation for this team and coaching staff.
I like this take. Fisch is starting to show he is the real deal. He made some bad decisions last year at game time. I didn't see that today. Like you said, it was good coaching, and all around. This team looked really good at times. But they made bad mistakes that can be worked on. I would love to be watching practices this week.

I believe the Cats are deep enough to survive. I loved the way the offensive playmakers were rotated. At skill positions (on offense) the team is deep (except QB). Impressed with the O-Line today. But, I believe they are still unproven. This team hasn't been challenged yet.

Next week is a statement game. The Cats may turn some eyes if they play with passion and the will to win. The talent is there, even though there is not a lot of experience. The Cats won't compete for a Title, but winning the Pac-12 is within reach. Maybe, this is the year we go to our first Rose Bowl. Right now, I believe this dream is possible.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

AZCatGirl wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 3:47 pm It's never felt so good to be wrong. :D
Same here
-JB
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Eebs, You're obligated to go to all the games until we lose.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

84Cat wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 4:59 pm Eebs, You're obligated to go to all the games until we lose.
My son already ordered tickets for next week.
-JB
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Good win, unexpected good win against SDSU.
TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

Well, it was a great Game 1, and everybody should celebrate accordingly. Just for the record, I'll still peg the over/under for wins at 5-6. If Fisch can parlay this team into a 6-win bowl team (understanding depth and injury injuries over the course of the season), he would have to be P12 COY.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Was at the game. Hottest game I've ever been to.

One thing you guys might like to know: I never saw groups of guys loitering at the bench-even though that was the coolest place to be with the big blowers blowing cool air. Sure, groups of position players would sit there when they came off the field to cool off, but other than that, for the entirety of the game, our players were on the sidelines supporting their teammates. They wanted it bad.

So damn proud of this effort. Sure feels fucking good to think we might actually have a team this year.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

UAEebs86 wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 5:07 pm
84Cat wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 4:59 pm Eebs, You're obligated to go to all the games until we lose.
My son already ordered tickets for next week.
You're on the hook until we lose with you in the stands. Hope you understand. :lol:
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Game highlights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMRxCc5iYog

I am happily here to eat crow. The OL did much, much better than I expected.

Jayden De Laura is for real
Cowing is a stud
TMac is a stud
The RB quality/depth is much better than last year.

Is it just me or did Snapdragon stadiums grand opening leave a lot to be desired?. I left my hotel 2 hours before game time and didn't get seated until the middle of the 1st quarter...........the Traffic control was non-existent and poorly thought out.
The parking lots are gravel.......hell, some of the walkways around the stadium are gravel.
The SDSU announcers (both at the stadium and on radio) were either confused, drunk, or both
The concessions managed to run out of water (early) knowing that it was going to be near 100F
The concessions staff was charging the wrong amount for various beverages.......and couldn't figure out how to fix the problem.
The video boards at the stadium were so small one would need the Hubble telescope to see the halftime stats
All in all the entire stadium was run like a bad Monty Python skit.

Thanks to Banana Boat ultra SPF100 my skin is still intact.

Go Cats, Bear down and beat the Pirate (MSU)
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

SDSU rewatch:
-SDSU blitz a lot and the OLine/JDL did very well against it. JDL getting the ball out quickly really hurt SDSU.
-TMac and Cowling 2nd TD came off the same play. It shows how hard it is to guard it.
-Arizona had only a couple of negative plays on offense. I mean like 2 or 3. Most Arizona runs got 3+ yards. That’s a big deal. Only one run play was negative and that was a sweep.
-SDSU tackled well. (I think SDSU will defense will still be a top 20 offense)
-SDSU did not want to throw at CRW.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

I think this victory was kind if a big deal. That was a damn good team full of seniors our guys defeated and they did it away at a stadium opening on the first game SDSU had played at home in a long time.
TucsonCat

Post by TucsonCat »

Most impressive thing to me, about the game on Saturday, was how methodical, and workman-like, it was from beginning to end. With the exception of the exchange of turnovers, in the second quarter, the game simply felt like one team slowly, and steadily exerting its will on the other. There were very few “big plays” (which we all know this offensive is capable of), and instead it was simply a game of stop us if you can, and we’ll do the same to you. The talent disparity felt oddly one-sided, especially after the last couple of years. Supremely satisfying game to watch!