7 Jayden de Laura

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ANGCatFan

7 Jayden de Laura

Post by ANGCatFan »

De Laura is a 6-0. 205, Sophomore quarterback from Washington St. and Honolulu, HI. Last year he passed for 2,798 yards and 23 TDs with 9 interceptions. He also ran for 67 yards and 3 more TDs on his way to being named the Pac-12 Offensive Freshman of the Year. When Wash St's new offensive coordinator decided to bring in the QB from his old team de Laura became available and chose Arizona.

He has solidified himself as QB 1 during camp. De Laura will have ample weapons so expect to see a totally different offense when the season opens in 1 week.

De Laura after last Saturday's scrimmage:

De Laura on transferring to Arizona:

De Laura during his golf cart interview:

Some of de Laura's highlights from last year:

CardiacCats97

Re: 7 Jayden de Laura

Post by CardiacCats97 »

His arm strength was impressive in Game 1 and he was very accurate too. Seemed to work through his progressions well and made very few (if any) mental errors.

What a great debut, and what a great example and mentor he will be to Fifita.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

No it doesn’t. Surprised it was just civil litigation and not criminal charges brought against them.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

CardiacCats97 wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 5:42 am No it doesn’t. Surprised it was just civil litigation and not criminal charges brought against them.

Apparently there were criminal charges and they pled guilty, but served no jail time.

JDL “began choking her to gain her cooperation”

So wrong on every level. We don't know the whole story of course, but the optics are really bad about high school stars getting away with sexual assault.

CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

Fisch had to be aware. Not doing any due diligence on a recruit or transfer is practically a fireable offense.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

CardiacCats97 wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 7:52 am Fisch had to be aware. Not doing any due diligence on a recruit or transfer is practically a fireable offense.
I imagine so, and he perhaps thought it being a juvenile charge would be sealed.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

So the obvious question is...what happens next?

Usually when that type of criminal behavior happens the player is booted off the team. And rightfully so.

Is that going to happen?
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

It’s hard for me to imagine he gets booted unless Fisch & Co genuinely didn’t know.

He went through the legal & civil processes, so not sure what the punishment would be for something that happened 3+ years and 2 schools ago. Maybe making him do some community service? Attend counseling? Suspension? I’m not really sure what the right answer is.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

Not good. I don't know Hawaii law, but does anyone know if for serious offenses, can underage kids be tried as adults? Most states now have this law, and if a 17 year old commits a serious crime that could put him/her away for a long time, they will try the kid as an adult, so that he/she doesn't get released on their 18th birthday.

The fact that this case was tried in juvenile court and JDL was presumably 17 at the time may be telling. It may mean the prosecutor thought it wasn't worth pursuing this case in adult court, and for closure reasons, might be best to get the kids to admit guilt in juvi court. Which is what happened.

Personally, I'm for giving kids a second chance. Very short leash in this case, and any mention of JDL in a police blotter, and he's off the team. But it's been three years, there is a record of this happening, and JDL will now have to pay this woman restitution. If JDL stays clean from here on, the question is, how much more should he be punished for his actions as a kid?
TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

CardiacCats97 wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 9:10 am It’s hard for me to imagine he gets booted unless Fisch & Co genuinely didn’t know.

He went through the legal & civil processes, so not sure what the punishment would be for something that happened 3+ years and 2 schools ago. Maybe making him do some community service? Attend counseling? Suspension? I’m not really sure what the right answer is.
Hard to say. I always try to look at difficult circumstances from an unemotional and pragmatic viewpoint. Regardless of who agrees with the resolution, the state of Hawaii has concluded its criminal and civil processes with no further action pending. UArizona recruited JDL, presumably with all parties having their eyes wide open and under the assumption that there's no on-going pattern of behavior. Cynical or otherwise, it would seem any action at this point would be viewed solely as a response to this becoming public knowledge. (That's to say I don't think Heeke can get away with some solemn speech about the Wildcat Way.) Robbins and Heeke hired Fisch; he's their coach, football pays the bills, and JDL is football's meal ticket. And the portal closed on April 30. If I had to guess, I think they might try to weather the storm and see if they can wait it out, a la Greg Byrne. But, I've been wrong before.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

We don't know what went on in the settlement conference nor do we know how strong of a case the prosecutor had. We do know that the prosecutor felt that a plea with no jail time, and presumably a civil case was appropriate. The matter has been adjudicated and we need to move on-unless something else happens.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

The question I would ask would be if this is a typical sentence for juvenile offenders, or were they given special treatment being star athletes?

If this was in Texas, where high school football players are demigods, maybe so, but have not heard about such things in Hawaii.
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

I don't know the story but this is why you never accept a deal on these types of crimes even if it has zero time attached to it. Now he's fucked because he can't argue his innocence. He's a dummy and who ever was in his corner telling him to accept are idiots.
Mike Luke's burner account.
TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

Per the Star's story, JDL responded to the girl's text to him after the incident, admitted guilt and apologized, and she turned the texts over to authorities.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

KillerKlown wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 1:06 pm I don't know the story but this is why you never accept a deal on these types of crimes even if it has zero time attached to it. Now he's fucked because he can't argue his innocence. He's a dummy and who ever was in his corner telling him to accept are idiots.
Jack McCoy: Jayden, if you plead guilty to 2nd degree sexual assault, you will get no jail time and your record will be sealed as a juvenile. if he decide to fight this in court, we will try you as an adult, you will be sent to Sing Sing after being booked in Rykers, and have to register as a sex offender for life as this is a Class B felony.

Not that TV is like real life, but I imagine it went something like that.
TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

Merkin wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 1:01 pm The question I would ask would be if this is a typical sentence for juvenile offenders, or were they given special treatment being star athletes?

If this was in Texas, where high school football players are demigods, maybe so, but have not heard about such things in Hawaii.
I won't speculate about the specifics, as we'll probably never know with a sealed juvenile case. Impossible to know if anything came out during the proceedings that resulted in unusual leniency. But I do know that, mostly due to isolation, but also due to interest level, a lot of regular season high school games are televised live across the islands. It's one thing to watch whatever ESPN has on from thousands of miles away, but other than the (usually meh) Rainbows and maybe the Duke Kahanamoku Classic for surfing, HS football is about it locally. But it's debatable how much star treatment would be given to a high school football player by courts in a city the size of Honolulu. If you consider all of Oahu as the larger metro area, it's about like Tucson.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

We just can’t have nice things at Arizona
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

As a parent of an adult daughter, and also married to a woman and a son of a woman, I find this very upsetting.

Abrahamarvel

Post by Abrahamarvel »

I say dismiss him. Play Fifita
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

Rape, yet they offered him zero time though huh?
If they offered zero time on a plea I can't imagine they had much to go on. That's more of a desperate offer I'm guessing. I've never been involved in a crime so I can't say for sure. Maybe somebody here with smarts on the criminal system can give some insight l.
But I can't argue that because he admitted guilt. He gone.
And as far as ASU they shouldn't throw stones while sitting in a glass home.
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

The silence from the AD is a bad look all by itself. Say something.
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

CardiacCats97 wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 7:29 pm The silence from the AD is a bad look all by itself. Say something.
Yup. They also have to release him at this point. The longer nothing happens or is spoken the worse it's looking.
ASUCatFan

Post by ASUCatFan »

This kid belongs in prison, but if he's worth a win or two, it's totally worth it, right? Sometimes you have to sell your soul to the devil.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

If you can read that and can still cheer for him to lead our team you are fucked up

Cut him now
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

As a woman this disgusts, but doesn't surprise me. Sadly the woman's story will only make other women question whether it's worth it to come forward when this is the result. The fact that being minors means you're more likely to get away with this shit is just so messed up I don't know where to begin.

Personally I would kick both men off their teams and fire both coaches. That obviously wont happen at Wisconsin, and I doubt that will happen here. So glad I never actually bought season tickets or I'd be canceling them. I don't buy for a second that neither coach knew about this.

Football is a team sport so I'll still watch the games, but I now really have to question how well Fisch is vetting these players when he brings them on.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

JDL was 15 or 16 when this happened? How long should his punishment last? The rest of his life? 5 years? 10 years? 25 years?

What JDL did was wrong. He knows it, and admitted it was wrong when he plead guilty to the juvenile charges. And now, JDL will have to pay restitution for his actions too. But should one mistake at age 15 or 16 cost JDL any chance he has as a future football player? How many of us made mistakes as teens and either weren't caught or have it reported?

I'm not excusing what JDL did. It was wrong. 100% wrong, and the strain should follow him. He should have to answer questions about his actions, maybe for his entire life. But if those answers are it was a mistake, JDL is truly contrite, and nothing like this ever happens again, I believe that should be an acceptable answer.

There is certainly a gray area, and had JDL actually raped this girl, I'd feel different. But then, had there been an actual rape, would the prosecutor allow this case to be adjudicated in juvenile court? I would hope not.

The fact juvenile records are supposed to be sealed is to allow kids a second chance once they become adults. If JDL is kicked off the team now for what he did years ago as a kid, then why should juvenile records ever be sealed?
Siempre Verde

Post by Siempre Verde »

Nope. Nope. Nope. He has to go. If our “braintrust” saw fit to get rid of Rich Rod for the reasons they claimed, #7 needs to go tomorrow.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

So, I expect that we didn’t hear anything today because Fisch didn’t know or at least didn’t know how bad it was and was caught off guard. I do hope that Fisch makes it clear that this not acceptable and removes JDL from the team. I don’t believe that one can work on redemption when you’re solely focused on yourself.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

AzCatFan2 wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 10:40 pm And now, JDL will have to pay restitution for his actions too.
Paid her off, wrote an apology letter, never did any jail time, and got to keep paying football. Wow, what a terrible punishment he has faced.
AzCatFan2 wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 10:40 pmThere is certainly a gray area, and had JDL actually raped this girl, I'd feel different. But then, had there been an actual rape, would the prosecutor allow this case to be adjudicated in juvenile court? I would hope not.
Yeah there wasn't rape, he just choked her until she would commit unspecified sex acts. That's much less severe!
AzCatFan2 wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 10:40 pmThe fact juvenile records are supposed to be sealed is to allow kids a second chance once they become adults. If JDL is kicked off the team now for what he did years ago as a kid, then why should juvenile records ever be sealed?
If he never faces punishment for what he did, what kind of example is that setting to other teenage girls that are victims? Your abusers will never face real punishment because they're minors so all you get to go through is a long drawn out court battle that's a constant reminder of what you went through?

This isn't like the PJC situation, where he was caught cheating, reprimanded, and was very public about the mistake he made and how it would never happen again. This is a serious crime JDL committed, that he admitted to, never faced any real consequences, and now we're all being blindsided by with absolutely no comment from anyone at Arizona. Why would you want someone with that kind of history being a part of this program? Why does he deserve to get a free ride as opposed to someone who doesn't have a history of treating women like shit?

Maybe you're fine with a teenager just saying "Oops, sorry, wont happen again." But with a crime like this that doesn't cut it for me. Some things deserve to follow you forever, and this is one of them.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Abrahamarvel

Post by Abrahamarvel »

Feels like the longer it gets, the more likely he will be dismissed. Given Wisconsin already kept their player, it would be easy to just follow their statement.
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

AzCatFan2 wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 10:40 pm JDL was 15 or 16 when this happened? How long should his punishment last? The rest of his life? 5 years? 10 years? 25 years?

What JDL did was wrong. He knows it, and admitted it was wrong when he plead guilty to the juvenile charges. And now, JDL will have to pay restitution for his actions too. But should one mistake at age 15 or 16 cost JDL any chance he has as a future football player? How many of us made mistakes as teens and either weren't caught or have it reported?

I'm not excusing what JDL did. It was wrong. 100% wrong, and the strain should follow him. He should have to answer questions about his actions, maybe for his entire life. But if those answers are it was a mistake, JDL is truly contrite, and nothing like this ever happens again, I believe that should be an acceptable answer.

There is certainly a gray area, and had JDL actually raped this girl, I'd feel different. But then, had there been an actual rape, would the prosecutor allow this case to be adjudicated in juvenile court? I would hope not.

The fact juvenile records are supposed to be sealed is to allow kids a second chance once they become adults. If JDL is kicked off the team now for what he did years ago as a kid, then why should juvenile records ever be sealed?
Losing your car keys is a mistake.

Multiplying 12 times 12 and getting 146 is a mistake.

This was rape. “had JDL actually raped this girl”? C’mon man. You said that after saying you weren’t excusing his actions? What actions? Forcible sodomy? Penetrating her while she sobbed uncontrollably? Choking her until she complied? That’s rape!

At first I was of the opinion that this was adjudicated and in the past but if fans like you are going to post insane shit like this I definitely want him off the team. Go become a fan of whatever team picks him up next. Wildcat fans need neither rapists nor rape apologists in their midst.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

So disappointed in this news but it pales against my disappointment of the Hawaii legal system.

I don’t understand how if the events as described are true, those kids get off by writing an apology and throwing a few bucks to this girl?

Was there simply no evidence past the texts? No rape kit performed because she waited? Is the message that if you are in high school to have at it with girls because this is the worst you will get?

I am more than fine with starting the Fafita era if that is the decision they make but this whole deal must have some weak evidence or the Hawaii legal system is just a downright joke
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
ghostwhitehorse

Post by ghostwhitehorse »

It's Noah Fifita time.
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

- He's not the difference in a possible championship competing team.
- Arizona is in building mode and Fisch is doing a fine job at that.
- Have a solid to good QB room
- Fisch has no problem getting good QBs

Might set us back a game or two but doesn't mess up the future plans if de Laura is gone. I believe AZ stays right on track of what it's trying to accomplish. No reasons to keep him.

And to AzCatFan2, no, he did not receive any punishment. I'd say having it hang over him like a scarlet letter is less than fair. He admitted to doing it whether he did it or not. And that's all I need. Off the team. Simple. Not our problem no more. Then we can continue our upward trajectory. Until then Fisch and the program are a target to the media for harboring a degenerate and that's not what we need. What would Saban do? Laura would be gone asap.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

CardiacCats97 wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 4:44 am
AzCatFan2 wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 10:40 pm JDL was 15 or 16 when this happened? How long should his punishment last? The rest of his life? 5 years? 10 years? 25 years?

This was rape. “had JDL actually raped this girl”? C’mon man. You said that after saying you weren’t excusing his actions? What actions? Forcible sodomy? Penetrating her while she sobbed uncontrollably? Choking her until she complied? That’s rape!

At first I was of the opinion that this was adjudicated and in the past but if fans like you are going to post insane shit like this I definitely want him off the team. Go become a fan of whatever team picks him up next. Wildcat fans need neither rapists nor rape apologists in their midst.
Why are juvenile records supposed to be sealed? Because in our legal system, crimes committed as a kid aren't supposed to follow you and mark you as a criminal when you enter adulthood. This case has been adjudicated in the Hawaii Juvenile Court System, and if we were to punish JDL now for an act as a 15 or 16-year old kid, then we are ignoring one of the central tenets of our legal system; that adults should not be held responsible for crimes committed as a juvenile.

If JDL was an average student, or flipping burgers, nobody would hear or care about this case. The Juvi records would be sealed, and the girl's family may not have ever filed a civil case. Might not be worth spending the money. But JDL lives in a the fame fishbowl, and he's the starting QB, and the price of fame is this case becomes big news, especially for us Arizona fans. And JDL will have to answer questions about what happened for the rest of his football career. And that's more punishment he'll have to face for his actions. If JDL has pro football potential, you can be assured NFL teams will ask JDL about this incident.

Now, had JDL been tried as an adult, different story. But the person responsible for charging JDL, and presumably the person with the most knowledge regarding the case saw fit to charge the kids as juveniles. I for one, think it's stupid to constantly second guess professionals like the Hawaii state prosecutor, because I don't know the full details, nor the law as well as the prosecutor. JDL was charged as a juvenile, plead guilty, and that should be that.

I understand those who want to kick JDL off the team, and will have a difficult time rooting for him. As a parent of a 17-year girl entering UA next year, I certainly wouldn't want my daughter anywhere near JDL. But I think we also need to accept the facts. This is a juvi case. JDL deserves the chance to prove himself as an adult. That's how our legal system works. If we are to play judge, jury, and executioner for JDL, who among us would want to live in that same glass house, and be judged for stuff we did as teens? Any volunteers?

Last, if we want to punish JDL, make him do community service. Have him talk to local high schools about how one mistake can leave a mark that can follow you for life. Or make him clean up at a women's shelter. Get something good out of something that yes, is 100% bad.
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

I cannot get over the fact that you called it a “mistake” like he accidentally hit the gas instead of the brake and caused a car accident, and used that to excuse rape because he’s the QB of your favorite football team. Just fucking awful. And you know it because you didn’t double down by using that phrase again in that follow up word salad.

As for being “judge, jury, and executioner”, I’m not calling for him to be re-tried, jailed, and stoned to death. I just don’t want him playing for my favorite college football team - admittedly, largely BECAUSE of your post and knowing there are other rape apologists out there who will say this is no big deal because they want to see him throw a bunch of touchdowns.
CopaCat

Post by CopaCat »

I would have no problem keeping De Laura if there were still questions about his guilt, but he basically admitted to doing it in the text messages(or at least something close to it). It's kind of hard to keep somebody that basically admitted to straight up Rape. Whether he did it as an immature impulse is not really relevant(basically thought it was a joke and ok to do). Dude could have been tried as an adult and been screwed for the rest of his days like most others in that same situation. I think losing his privilege to play football should be a minimum of his punishment.

All because the Hawaiian justice system let him off with a slap doesn't mean he shouldn't face some societal consequences for his actions. 20 years down the road, maybe people should let it go if has a longer track record of exemplary behavior. Here is the thing about current JDL though, he got charged, but later dismissed of a DUI in Pullman(again admitted he screwed up though). So his actions are still a bit questionable even after this "incident".
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

JDL pled guilty to 2nd degree sexual assault which is a Class B felony. That makes him an admitted and convicted rapist.
AzCatFan2 wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 10:40 pm JDL was 15 or 16 when this happened?
The rape happened on Oct. 27, 2018. JDL was born August 11, 2001.

That makes him 17 years old at the time of the rape.

He most certainly could have been tried as an adult.

https://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/hrscurre ... 4-0418.htm

This section defines those instances when penal proceedings are barred because of the immaturity of the accused. The Code precludes such proceedings entirely if the accused is less than 16 years of age at the time of the conduct alleged. In such cases the family court retains exclusive jurisdiction.[1] If the accused is 16 or 17 years of age, concurrent jurisdiction is provided in both the family court and the division of the circuit court handling penal proceedings. In such cases, primary jurisdiction is vested in the family court, and only upon waiver by that court[2] does jurisdiction vest in the other division of the circuit court handling penal proceedings
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

I hope you guys are letting the AD know your thoughts and not just ranting on a message board.
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

AzCatFan2 wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 8:40 am
CardiacCats97 wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 4:44 am

Why are juvenile records supposed to be sealed? Because in our legal system, crimes committed as a kid aren't supposed to follow you and mark you as a criminal when you enter adulthood. This case has been adjudicated in the Hawaii Juvenile Court System, and if we were to punish JDL now for an act as a 15 or 16-year old kid, then we are ignoring one of the central tenets of our legal system; that adults should not be held responsible for crimes committed as a juvenile.

If JDL was an average student, or flipping burgers, nobody would hear or care about this case. The Juvi records would be sealed, and the girl's family may not have ever filed a civil case. Might not be worth spending the money. But JDL lives in a the fame fishbowl, and he's the starting QB, and the price of fame is this case becomes big news, especially for us Arizona fans. And JDL will have to answer questions about what happened for the rest of his football career. And that's more punishment he'll have to face for his actions. If JDL has pro football potential, you can be assured NFL teams will ask JDL about this incident.

Now, had JDL been tried as an adult, different story. But the person responsible for charging JDL, and presumably the person with the most knowledge regarding the case saw fit to charge the kids as juveniles. I for one, think it's stupid to constantly second guess professionals like the Hawaii state prosecutor, because I don't know the full details, nor the law as well as the prosecutor. JDL was charged as a juvenile, plead guilty, and that should be that.

I understand those who want to kick JDL off the team, and will have a difficult time rooting for him. As a parent of a 17-year girl entering UA next year, I certainly wouldn't want my daughter anywhere near JDL. But I think we also need to accept the facts. This is a juvi case. JDL deserves the chance to prove himself as an adult. That's how our legal system works. If we are to play judge, jury, and executioner for JDL, who among us would want to live in that same glass house, and be judged for stuff we did as teens? Any volunteers?

Last, if we want to punish JDL, make him do community service. Have him talk to local high schools about how one mistake can leave a mark that can follow you for life. Or make him clean up at a women's shelter. Get something good out of something that yes, is 100% bad.
Yeah, I'm sure they'll be fine with having an admitted rapist anywhere near a school or a freaking womens shelter. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Look, only one maybe two questions need to be answered and it's the only one that matters. Does it make us and Fisch a target and possibly make a mess of future plans?
Keeping him would put Fisch on very, very thin ice.
All that other stuff is fluff and means zero.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

AzCatFan2 wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 8:40 am Why are juvenile records supposed to be sealed? Because in our legal system, crimes committed as a kid aren't supposed to follow you and mark you as a criminal when you enter adulthood.
I'm not a lawyer but as I understand it the reason juvenile records are sealed is because by statute minors, as dependents, cannot legally consent to represent themselves in court and as such must have their identities protected. If the actual legal basis for being sealed was as you suggest then records would ever be unsealed.

I did a lot of stoopid shit at 15 and 16: suffice to say I lost a lot of car keys. We have to differentiate between that and rape when unsealing and judging juvie records.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

84Cat wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 9:09 am I hope you guys are letting the AD know your thoughts and not just ranting on a message board.
Sent an email about ten minutes after reading AzCatFan2’s post. I was truly on the fence but now I’m firmly against him being a Wildcat.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

CardiacCats97 wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 9:16 am
84Cat wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 9:09 am I hope you guys are letting the AD know your thoughts and not just ranting on a message board.
Sent an email about ten minutes after reading AzCatFan2’s post. I was truly on the fence but now I’m firmly against him being a Wildcat.
I'm pulling my millions from the collectives until the kid is booted.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

Let me posit it this way. There are over 550 scholarship athletes on campus, with more walk-ons who participate. Some of them may have juvenile records. Should we be allowed to unseal those records to ensure every one of these athletes are clean enough to participate at Arizona? According to the statistics, 1 in 3 adults have experience with the juvenile system (https://www.cjcj.org/news/blog/adults-w ... le-records) And if we do want to unseal all juvi records, who gets to decide which crimes committed as a juvenile are worthy of being kicked of the team, and which crimes are acceptable mistakes?

The Hawaiian Judicial system deemed this case not worthy to try the JDL and his friend as adults. Who are we to question the Hawaiian Judicial system? I'm certainly not qualified.

Now if any student athlete while at Arizona did what JDL did, suspended immediately and kicked off the team and out of school if found guilty. But that didn't happen. We're talking about an incident that happened when JDL was a kid, in high school, and a case that was adjudicated at Juvenile Court. If you want to make the Hawaiian Judicial system the enemy here, go for it. But again, what makes you the expertise on the Hawaiian Judicial System?

The facts are there are other kids on UArizona campus with similar juvi records as JDL. Maybe even other scholarship athletes? But we are unlikely ever to hear about them, because juvi records are sealed. And unless these students get sued in a civil case, we'll never know. Should we go down the rabbit hole and check every athlete? Every student? Or should we honor the tenet of our system that juvenile crimes should not follow us into adulthood?
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

I would have no trouble with a special master reviewing juvie records in order to weed out rapists.

~ Wilhoit's Law
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 9:20 am I would have no trouble with a special master reviewing juvie records in order to weed out rapists.
Works for me.
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 9:20 am I would have no trouble with a special master reviewing juvie records in order to weed out rapists.
This is actually a great idea.
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

I really really hope Fisch didn’t know the full details here.