Former Arizona coach Rich Rodriguez wins debut with Jacksonville State

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

cordera89

Former Arizona coach Rich Rodriguez wins debut with Jacksonville State

Post by cordera89 »

https://www.azdesertswarm.com/football/ ... n#comments

God i miss this site so much, Even when most here either Love him or Hate him. RR, our former UA football won his debut at his new school in FCS level against Stephen F Austin 42-17 with weather delay to end it. Either way we all should congrat that he won his first game as Head Coach.
azgreg

Re: Former Arizona coach Rich Rodriguez wins debut with Jacksonville State

Post by azgreg »

RR's system should work very well at the FCS level.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Just in time for football! Welcome back Cordy. Looking forward to your great posts!
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
Robert A Booey

Post by Robert A Booey »

He wasn't perfect, but our offense sure was dynamic under him. Will Fisch be able to bring us to the level that RR had us at?
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Robert A Booey wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 6:27 pm He wasn't perfect, but our offense sure was dynamic under him. Will Fisch be able to bring us to the level that RR had us at?
He wasn't perfect? Well i beg the differ because he accomplish a lot of thing in 6 season at UA.
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

cordera89 wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 8:18 am
Robert A Booey wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 6:27 pm He wasn't perfect, but our offense sure was dynamic under him. Will Fisch be able to bring us to the level that RR had us at?
He wasn't perfect? Well i beg the differ because he accomplish a lot of thing in 6 season at UA.
You think he was perfect? LOL
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Ask the misses how perfect he was.

And why would you hire your drinking buddy as your DC and not have him recruit?
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Man, if Rich would've just given a little more attention to defense, and we had just average defenses, some of those teams would've been epic.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Carcassdragger wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:43 am Man, if Rich would've just given a little more attention to defense, and we had just average defenses, some of those teams would've been epic.
Did he ever have a team that the defense was not ranked in the 100's? Out of 130 FBS schools.

Just an average defense would have put him around 65th.
gouacats

Post by gouacats »

Merkin wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:54 am
Carcassdragger wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:43 am Man, if Rich would've just given a little more attention to defense, and we had just average defenses, some of those teams would've been epic.
Did he ever have a team that the defense was not ranked in the 100's? Out of 130 FBS schools.

Just an average defense would have put him around 65th.
2014 they finished ranked 62 and yep, that was a good year.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

RR was far from perfect. But he was also very successful at Arizona. A .55 winning percentage, after taking over a 4-8 team that was losing the best ever QB in school history. I think RR rightfully saw Arizona has his resurrection tour, and thought a quick turnaround, and he'd be hired at a top school again within a few years. Almost happened too, but for whatever reason, RR wasn't hired away after the 10-win season in 2014.

RR hadn't recruited very well, and after 2014, we did see a drop off a bit. But I think RR eventually refocused, and was starting to turn things around with Khalil Tate. Would have loved to see another year or two with RR and Tate together, and I know we would have done better than we did under Sumlin. But a big part of RR's problem was off-field issues, and in the "me-too" era, we just couldn't afford to keep him around.
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

CardiacCats97 wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 8:21 am
I think we can all agree that compared to Sumlin, we would have taken Rich for another 4 years.

It's kinda funny if you think about it; Rich hired a guy that wouldn't recruit, so we fired Rich then hired a HC that wouldn't recruit.
Mike Luke's burner account.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

KillerKlown wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 3:06 pm It's kinda funny if you think about it; Rich hired a guy that wouldn't recruit, so we fired Rich then hired a HC that wouldn't recruit.
As a blanket rule, if I was an AD, I would not hire any coach that has ever been fired without cause*. RichRod and Sumlin found out they can make millions for not really trying all that hard and getting fired. Just chill, and put down a few shots with your coaching staff. Or you can put in 70-80 hours a week and make just a little bit more.

*- Would have taken The Pirate in a New York second, just give him a short leash.
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

KillerKlown wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 3:06 pm
CardiacCats97 wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 8:21 am
I think we can all agree that compared to Sumlin, we would have taken Rich for another 4 years.
Sure, but only a moron would call a HC who totally ignored two out of the three phases of the game and thought recruiting 230lb linemen was a good idea “perfect” and would create a tribute post to him for winning a meaningless game.