Conference opener at Cal

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

azgreg

Conference opener at Cal

Post by azgreg »

azgreg

Re: Conference opener at Cal

Post by azgreg »

There have been some goofy fucking games in this series.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

azgreg wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:45 am There have been some goofy fucking games in this series.
Don't get me started.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Must win
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

Early line is -4 and -4.5 Cal. Arizona the underdog again.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azgreg wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:45 am There have been some goofy fucking games in this series.

Going back to the Dick Tomey era where OT rule changes came out of it.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Overtimes that never end, Hail Mary’s, and last year’s Covid gift that got us our only win.

Always something…
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Merkin wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:16 pm

Going back to the Dick Tomey era where OT rule changes came out of it.
The 1984 game at Cal when we were ranked #3 and it ended up being a tie still pisses me off to this day. And the BS unsportsmanlike call on Terry Vaughn that probably cost us a Rose Bowl in '93.

I said don't get me started... :lol:
-JB
TheCatInTheHat

Cal Notes & Trivia

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

I remember the very first game against Cal, in our first year in the Pac-10. Roger Theder was their coach, and they wore yellow helmets. Tony Mason did the ground and pound thing with them for the first three quarters, and it was looking pretty good. Then they went pure pass in Q4, we couldn't stop them, and they pulled away. Hard to believe, but we're now 19-14-2 against them. Also hard to believe we've won six in a row and haven't lost to them since 2009. (We've had three two-year breaks from playing them in that span.) After an 11 point loss at Ohio St, Notre Dame lost at home to Marshall before beating Cal in South Bend yesterday. The Bears looked pretty good in a see-saw game until the end, but hard to say how good or bad ND is with their first-year coach. Meanwhile, Cal's 2-1 with home wins over Davis and UNLV. I'm sure they'll be motivated to end the streak, and also to get revenge for the loss in Tucson last year when the Alameda County health people forced a number of their players to miss the game under COVID quarantine due to chain-reaction contact tracing that turned out to be a false alarm. Meanwhile, they signed a 15-year field naming rights deal in 2013 with video gaming company KaBam that resulted in an ugly orange logo on their field (and having to call it KaBam Field.) But, KaBam bought it's way out of the deal, so now it's FTX Cryptocurrency Field at Cal Memorial Stadium. And the Bay Cats alumni group apparently has some sections in one end zone staked out for any visiting Arizona fans.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Cal has the worst stadium deal in the college football history. I had no idea about he naming rights, but that seems like a Cal move.

Cats 4.5 dogs.

https://www.azdesertswarm.com/football/ ... 4b5O8vPAug
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Fuck. Although I can watch Big 10, ACC, SEC, and other games on Directv, still no PAC 12 network. Ficking ridiculous-especially in this part of the country.

Fucking pisses me off. I'll be hitting you guys up for a stream.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

Seeing the spread I would bet for the Cats. They are still underrated.

They have beat the spread twice. And the one time they didn't was a great learning experience. And I say this looking at how De Laura played. Against MSU he wouldn't scramble for yards at all. Against NDSU he ran for yardage at will. De Laura learned the lesson of scrambling when watching his mistakes on film against MSU.

I see talent on the defense, even though it needs building. But, they have held when needed. There is heart there and a will to win. The offense is going to improve as the season progresses, as they become experienced playing together. And De Laura is the perfect QB we need when our OL breaks down. Scrambling and being able to pass on the run are valuable strengths. He is a very good passer after leaving the pocket. He learned how to pull the ball in and run. He has to be covered as well as the receivers now. He is learning how to run a pro offense. I feel giddy about watching his progress. I don't believe he has reached his peak yet.

How many QBs has Arizona had that can make plays like De Laura? I can only think of one, and that is Nick Foles. How did we luck out on getting him? De Laura to Cowing is going to be memorable. De Laura knows how to buy time. He is learning when to throw the ball away, and when to run. I was impressed with his play against NDSU. I can't wait to see what he will do against Cal on the road.

Echols is already a fan favorite on defense (stay healthy...). Our defense is learning but they do make plays. Will be fun to follow the rest of the season.

When you look at the Cats offense, potential is oozing from the pores. The cool thing to me is the skill players may be good enough to overcome an inferior OL who is learning and becoming stronger. The fact that De Laura has learned to scramble brings so much optimism.

Wiley, Williams, Coleman, and Luke at RB. Are you kidding me? We need to run more than what we do, at least to get some of these backs experience. All of them bring something to the table. I like the fact that Wiley is a cut-off valve. The defense has to always account for him. Williams is good for getting tough yards, as is Coleman, and "Speedy" Luke is really dangerous if he breaks into the open.

Look at Lachlan as TE. He has bee fantastic as an outlet, or just crossing the flat. I am interested to know if there was a better UA TE not named Gronkowski.

Our receivers are really good. As they learn to trust De Laura more, and play with each other they will be special. Cowing, T-Mac, and Singer.

Let's hope the pieces to this team's puzzle are figured out by the end of the season. This offense has so much potential!

Side Note: Looper just missed his first FG attempt in 2 years.
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

Perhaps my memory is just playing tricks on me. Wasn't there a game where our #1 quarterback was injured and we went in there, never threw a pass, and beat them?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

KaibabKat wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:44 pm Perhaps my memory is just playing tricks on me. Wasn't there a game where our #1 quarterback was injured and we went in there, never threw a pass, and beat them?

Think that was Chuck Levy at QB v. Oregon. Only one pass attempt and that was to stop the clock or avoid a sack when he threw it out of bounds. Didn't need it, Cats won big, something like 35-10.

Of course more recent history would be UA not attempting a pass in the 2nd half v. ASU, but since then the Territorial Cup memories are in a fog.
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

Carcassdragger wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 4:31 pm Fuck. Although I can watch Big 10, ACC, SEC, and other games on Directv, still no PAC 12 network. Ficking ridiculous-especially in this part of the country.

Don't worry I got you, assuming it's on the national pac 12 channel
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

I think CAL is getting love from Vegas for their close loss at Notre Dame. But this was the same ND team that lost to Marshall the week before. NDSU versus Marshall, and I'd be shocked if the Bison weren't at least a 7 point favorite on a neutral field. Probably even higher.

We just need to avoid a let down and come out and play smart and hard again. Do that, and I think we should win this game. We have more weapons on O and will eventually find a way to put some points on the board. Don't give CAL any short fields with turnovers, penalties, or silly decisions, and make them earn everything, I like our D's chances.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

The line opened at +4, went to +6 within an hour or so, and is now at +3.
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

Fishclamps wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:55 pm
Carcassdragger wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 4:31 pm Fuck. Although I can watch Big 10, ACC, SEC, and other games on Directv, still no PAC 12 network. Ficking ridiculous-especially in this part of the country.

Plan B can be to use a VPN to pretend you are somewhere in Europe or Oceania and watch Pac12 international on YouTube.
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

Need this one to set us on a potential path to a bowl game. That would be a huge accomplishment for the program at this time. I'm starting to see a slimmer of hope.
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

RichardCranium wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:49 am

Plan B can be to use a VPN to pretend you are somewhere in Europe or Oceania and watch Pac12 international on YouTube.
That's Plan A, but that youtube channel only shows the national channel so if they're playing something else besides our game, I'm screwed.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Fishclamps wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:44 pm

That's Plan A, but that youtube channel only shows the national channel so if they're playing something else besides our game, I'm screwed.
PAC-12 Networks only broadcast one game at a time now that we are in conference play
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

PHXCATS wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:01 pm

PAC-12 Networks only broadcast one game at a time now that we are in conference play

Sign up for Sling TV and get the free week and cancel. They have all the PAC12 network.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

tgrumpy2 wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:08 pm
PHXCATS wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:01 pm

Sign up for Sling TV and get the free week and cancel. They have all the PAC12 network.
Sling no longer has a free week, but Fubo does. Watch the Cal game on Fubo gratis, then cancel and subscribe to Sling for the remainder of the season. The first month of Sling is half price, about $23. One more month of Sling at full price will get you through the regular season.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

They gave up a lot of pressure to Davis and UNLV. We should feast this week
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

TheCatInTheHat

Cal Scout

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

So here we are with our Pac-12 opener, and we pretty much get the prototypical middle-of-the-pack Pac-12 team. Will Plummer's brother Jack has good size at QB, and he'll spread the wealth to three wide-outs, as well as leading rusher RB Jaydn Ott. TE Jermaine Terry thus far has been primarily a blocker, and they've got a big line. 3-4 defensively with some nickel. Ricky Correia's a load at NG, and their big inside backers collect a lot of tackles. On special teams, their kicker and return guys seem average, but P Jamieson Sheahan averages almost 49 yards per punt. Weather Saturday in Berkeley should be sunny, low 80's at kickoff, with about 50% humidity.

OFFENSE:
QB JACK PLUMMER 6-5 215 RS-SR 730 YDS/60%/5 TD/2 INT
RB JAYDN OTT 6-0 205 FR 189 YDS/1 TD 53 YDS/2 TD
WR JEREMIAH HUNTER 6-2 205 JR 223 YDS/1 TD
WR MICHAEL STURDIVANT 6-3 205 RS-FR 165 YDS/1 TD
WR MAVIN ANDERSON 6-0 200 RS-FR 98 YDS/1 TD
TE JERMAINE TERRY 6-4 255 SO 8 YDS
LT BEN COLEMAN 6-4 330 JR
LG BRIAN DRISCOLL 6-4 315 RS-JR
C MATTHEW CINDRIC 6-4 295 RS-SR
RG SPENCER LOVELL 6-6 335 RS-SR
RT BRAYDEN RHOME 6-6 285 RS-JR

DEFENSE:
DE ETHAN SAUNDERS 6-3 285 JR 7 T
NG RICKY CORREIA 6-4 335 JR 12 T
DE DARIUS LONG 6-2 315 RS-SR 2 T
OLB MYLES JERNIGAN 6-3 245 RS-JR 14 T/.5 SCK
ILB JACKSON SIRMON 6-2 240 RS-SR 32 T/1.5 SCK
ILB OLUWAFEMI OLADEJO 6-3 255 SO 28 T
OLB ODUA ISIBOR 6-3 260 RS-SR 4 T
CB LU-MAGIA HEARNS 5-10 170 SO 10 T
S CRAIG WOODSON 6-0 210 RS-JR 12 T/1 INT
S DANIEL SCOTT 6-2 215 RS-SR 14 T
CB ISAIAH YOUNG 5-10 185 JR 10 T/1 INT

KICKING:
K DARIO LONGHETTO 6-0 185 RS-SR 5-7 LONG 41 13 KO/8 TB
P JAMIESON SHEAHAN 6-0 205 SR 48.8 YPP
PR JEREMIAH HUNTER 6-2 205 JR 7.67 YPPR
KR MAVIN ANDERSON 6-0 200 RS-FR 15.25 YPKR
KR JEREMIAH HUNTER 6-2 205 JR
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

They have an SEC sized defensive line and some good Linebackers. Definitely the strength of their team. I think we have a similar amount of sacks.

I think we are far superior offensively and Plummer could be in for a tough game. Cats are going to get their second road win of the season
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azcat49 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:54 pm They have an SEC sized defensive line and some good Linebackers. Definitely the strength of their team. I think we have a similar amount of sacks.

I think we are far superior offensively and Plummer could be in for a tough game. Cats are going to get their second road win of the season
Their o-line is worse than ours. Scheer said 3 of their o-linemen ranked in the bottom 80 of PFF.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I know they gave up pressure to Davis snd UNLV. Not exactly Alabama and Georgia. Last year JDL threw 3 TD’s against them but also threw two picks. Wazzu beat them 21-6. I think it will be about 27-10 this week
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

MrMeow wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 3:25 pm Sling no longer has a free week, but Fubo does. Watch the Cal game on Fubo gratis, then cancel and subscribe to Sling for the remainder of the season. The first month of Sling is half price, about $23. One more month of Sling at full price will get you through the regular season.
I just did that, half price first month with Sling, and free Starz, Showtime and ??? for a month.
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

its the only game on in that time slot so the youtube channel should work fine
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Hey Fish,
Will we need a password from you or just the link?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

Just the channel name, which I don't remember currently since it's been so long since I used it. I'll put it in the game thread though.
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

Pretty sure the YT channel is pac12 networks international
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

SunnyAZ wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:40 am Pretty sure the YT channel is pac12 networks international
Yes.
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

Lol this is turning into an Abbott and Costello bit. I mean my twitch channel name, I have it written down somewhere and I'll get it going again for tomorrow's game against Cal and put my channel name in the game thread so people can watch without using weird sites that are full of pop up ads.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Thanks Fish. Will be looking for it.
TheCatInTheHat

Scene Setter

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

-JB
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

lakesbison

Post by lakesbison »

ok I put $100 on you, don't let us down.
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

Fishclamps wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:00 am Lol this is turning into an Abbott and Costello bit. I mean my twitch channel name, I have it written down somewhere and I'll get it going again for tomorrow's game against Cal and put my channel name in the game thread so people can watch without using weird sites that are full of pop up ads.
The last one I remember was ...5050. I think ...6060 got shutdown. Hope that helps. I've got it bookmarked somewhere here.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

lakesbison wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:37 pm ok I put $100 on you, don't let us down.
End of 1 up in Fargo. South Dakota 3 NDSU 0. Sounds like a little loss hangover for the Bison
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

azcat49 wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:44 am
lakesbison wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:37 pm ok I put $100 on you, don't let us down.
End of 1 up in Fargo. South Dakota 3 NDSU 0. Sounds like a little loss hangover for the Bison
Just because the Bison are losing does not mean they aren't dominating.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Alieberman wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:50 am
azcat49 wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:44 am
Just because the Bison are losing does not mean they aren't dominating.
True dat - SD's QB is just scrambling around, doesn't count
-JB
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

My mistake, it’s in the dome at South Dakota. It’s 3-3 now. Bet they wish they would have tried that FG last week
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

I put this in a different thread and meant to put it here.

Fishclamps did something really generous for some of us today. What a great guy. Thanks!!!
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

-JB