Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Merkin

Arizona at UCLA

Post by Merkin »

Carcassdragger

Re: Arizona at UCLA

Post by Carcassdragger »

Merkin wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 6:49 pm
Got em right where we want em. We suck and they know it. Let's surprise em.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

I actually have a good feeling about this game, probably because I secretly like being kicked in the dick.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

CardiacCats97 wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 11:40 am I actually have a good feeling about this game, probably because I secretly like being kicked in the dick.
Me too. If I was a betting man I'd easily take the points and the Cats.

I expect a hard fought game from the Cats
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

The Bruins had 402 yards rushing and didn’t play Charbenot. We might be without Cowing although I think it would be fun to see some Speedy Luke or Kevin Greene in the slot.

I think some one needs to remind Jedd that he said we were going to return to our defensive roots
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
TheCatInTheHat

UCLA Scout

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

The words I’d use to describe UCLA would be: Big, Fast, Experienced, and Deep. They had a cake-walk in their first four games, then won by 8 at Washington, and 10 against Utah to start out at 6-0. Next came their only blemish: a 5-point loss at Oregon. A 25-point blowout against Stanford was next, followed by a 14-point win at ASU. There’s no doubt that they’re looking ahead to their big showdown at the Rose Bowl against USC on the 19th, but it’s hard to think it will matter.

OFFENSE:
QB Dorian Thompson-Robinson 6-1 205 RS-SR 71.7% 237.8 YPG 19 TD/4 INT//RUSH: 48.8 YPG 7 TD
RB Zach Charbonnet 6-1 220 SR 137.7 YPG 10 TD//REC: 33.1 YPG
WR Jake Bobo 6-5 215 RS-SR 65.6 YPG 6 TD
WR Kazmeir Allen 5-9 175 RS-JR 36.8 YPG 1 TD
WR Logan Loya 5-11 180 JR 26.4 YPG 2 TD
TE Michael Ezeike 6-5 250 RS-SR 22.1 YPG 1 TD
LT Raiqwon O’Neal 6-4 305 RS-JR
LG Atonio Mafi 6-4 340 RS-SR
C Duke Clemens 6-3 300 SR
RG Jon Gaines 6-4 300 SR
RT Garrett DiGiorgio 6-6 310 RS-FR

DEFENSE:
DE Gabriel Murphy 6-3 265 RS-SO 24 T .5 SK
DT Jacob Sykes 6-3 280 RS-SR 17 T .5 SK
DT Gary Smith 6-2 320 JR 16 T 1 SK
DE Grayson Murphy 6-3 260 RS-SO 18 T 4 SK
LB Darius Muasau 6-1 230 SR 64 T 1 SK 2 INT
LB Laiatu Latu 6-4 265 RS-JR 28 T 8 SK
LB JonJon Vaughns 6-1 215 JR 41 T 2 INT
CB John Humphrey 6-2 190 JR 31 T
S Mo Osling 6-2 195 RS-SR 58 T
S Stephan Blaylock 5-11 195 RS-SR 34 T 2 SK 1 INT
CB Devin Kirkwood 6-3 195 SO 27 T

KICKING:
P Nicholas Barr-Mira 43.33 YPP
K Nicholas Barr-Mira 12-16 FG LONG: 49
KO R.J. Lopez 65 KO/46 TB
PR Logan Loya 5.1 YPP LONG: 15
KR Kazmeir Allen 26.2 YPK LONG: 43
KR Keegan Jones 19.2 YPK LONG: 31
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Color me a needless pessimist, but isn't it just our (football) luck to play in a conference that fairly or not is seen as a joke but we somehow end up playing FIVE consecutive RANKED conference opponents? Oregon, Washington, USC, UTAH, and now UCLA.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

CatsbyAZ wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 12:54 pm Color me a needless pessimist, but isn't it just our (football) luck to play in a conference that fairly or not is seen as a joke but we somehow end up playing FIVE consecutive RANKED conference opponents? Oregon, Washington, USC, UTAH, and now UCLA.
I think this is the result of the PAC-12 trying to help out the "good teams" where USC and Oregon don't play each other. USC also missed UW this year. Everyone else picks up the slack
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

We're also being televised by FOX at 8:30 in the evening. That should insure that no one east of Utah will see the game. That may or may not be a good thing, Personally I think it increases our chance for a unexpected upset because no one will see it.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

If Oregon/Washington goes to OT, even less people will see it.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

Fuck em up Huskies
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

And the Pac wont make the playoffs once again.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Jesus Fucking Christ. I can’t believe that play!!

Couldn’t have a better start.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

FUCK UCLA!
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

I can’t believe I missed this game as I was traveling overseas. Typical.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

I said it in the other thread, but congrats. UCLA was completely lost out there, other than maybe Charbonnet, and he had a critical drop late in the game himself.
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

Alieberman wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 11:54 am
CardiacCats97 wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 11:40 am I actually have a good feeling about this game, probably because I secretly like being kicked in the dick.

We didn’t get kicked in the dick!
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

CardiacCats97 wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 7:18 am
Alieberman wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 11:54 am

We didn’t get kicked in the dick!
We did not! We were right!

I just had a feeling we were due and haven't been sold on UCLA
IrishAzCat

Post by IrishAzCat »

TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

Well, that one sure snuck up on me. It was a lot of fun watching the close-ups of DTR transitioning from mouthing-off early on to that lovely look of panic and dismay later on. UCLA beat writer/loofah Ben Bolch of the El Segundo Times complained that the chants of "U of A" were annoying to him and also noted that Kelly "chose" to credit de Laura, rather than criticize his defense. Thanks, Ben. Oh, while you're on your reprisals tour, DTR missed plenty of throws and his receivers dropped their share, too. Not to mention a blocked FG for one of (TWO!) LA teams the arrogant Times sports staff assured their audience had "a path" to the national title game. Just too bad Plaschke covered the USC game. So, UCLA's last home game is devalued by a lot more than Travis Dye's injury, but there'll still be a lot of red there. Meanwhile, remarkably in this season, our next game really means something, and the last one always does.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Personally I thought we had no chance. I would have just kept running the ball. What was really good is we played a ton of guys on the DLINE that I had never heard of before. Could Jedd have been saving them for the last three games so they would retain eligibility? I am probably giving to much credit but it was interesting to see fresh legs.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

Wiley had 27 touches for over 140 yards. He needs to touch the ball at least 20 times a game. The other backs are talented, and may have a bigger upside, but on this team this year, Wiley is #1.
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

Such a huge win. Hope momentum follows.
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

I was impressed with the OLine. The two freshman guards are massive and talented. It will be great running behind them for the next two to three years.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
gouacats

Post by gouacats »

Camping with no service last night. Best link for good highlights?
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

gouacats wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 1:49 pm Camping with no service last night. Best link for good highlights?
gouacats

Post by gouacats »

Perfect! Thanks!
TheCatInTheHat

Another Idiot

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

Wow. The LA TImes used to be a pretty good newspaper, but under current management, staffing, and direction, those days are long gone. I'll provide the link below, but also provide a synopsis for anybody who struggles with their paywall.

Something called a "J. Brady" McCollough, middle-aged, balding, and attempting a gray and outdated Don Johnson-esque two-day beard, decides to do a hit piece retrospective on UCLA...and he also decides to trash a rebuilding Arizona team whose struggles and hard-earned improvement are respected by most reasonable people. "It would have been thrilling" to have the big showdown between the SoCal schools, with visions of a berth in the CFP championship (#1 or nothing in LA, baby), and dare I say it (gasp!)...the Heisman Trophy on the line. Bullshit.

He references Rodney Peete and Troy Aikman, but hey, let's make it O.J. Simpson (sans switchblade) and Gary Beban. So while Lev and Hansen rightly note today that Arizona's lines and defense did relatively well and they looked like at least the equal team, this dip-shit calls it a UCLA "choke", because DTR's last-gasp pass was two inches wide (Bobo was probably out of bounds anyway), and they lost to a "3-6 team (now 4-6, Bear Down, Wildcats!)" To which I add a hearty: "Fuck You, Asshole."

So I wondered what powerhouse football school "J" went to...one that never has a misstep, and never has bad coaching hires or rebuilding seasons. That school, of course, is Harvard. I'm sure Harvard grads everywhere are impressed with a fellow alum (ooh...in journalism) who writes 8th-grade level persuasive essays on college sports for a now-mediocre newspaper, after a stint at a mediocre Pittsburgh newspaper. And he writes this drivel all because it "could have been L.A.’s return to the big stage," and gee, the CFP championship game is at SoFi. And yeah, after winning titles within the last two years, the Dodgers, Rams, and Lakers have all fallen on their faces. Life is tough all over. And, as he points out, DTR, Charbonnet, and many others will be gone next year and he'll have to suffer through that. (But, they'll still have to come to Tucson.)

But Lucy didn't just pull the football away, she threw and ran and tackled and showed that Charlie Brown is a complete pussy. "J. Brady" McCollough really needs to add "The Third" to his name. He just wrote an embarrassingly whiny cry-baby piece of garbage that Jim Murray would have crumpled up and thrown in the trash can. And if he wasn't rolling over in his grave, I'm pretty sure he'd say something like:

"Do better."

https://www.latimes.com/sports/story/20 ... -spotlight
CatsbyAZ

Re: Another Idiot

Post by CatsbyAZ »

TheCatInTheHat wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:35 am Wow. The LA TImes used to be a pretty good newspaper, but under current management, staffing, and direction, those days are long gone. I'll provide the link below, but also provide a synopsis for anybody who struggles with their paywall.

So I wondered what powerhouse football school "J" went to...who writes 8th-grade level persuasive essays on college sports for a now-mediocre newspaper, after a stint at a mediocre Pittsburgh newspaper. And he writes this drivel all because it "could have been L.A.’s return to the big stage," and gee, the CFP championship game is at SoFi. And yeah, after winning titles within the last two years, the Dodgers, Rams, and Lakers have all fallen on their faces. Life is tough all over. And, as he points out, DTR, Charbonnet, and many others will be gone next year and he'll have to suffer through that. (But, they'll still have to come to Tucson.)
After reading guys like Plaschke for years I gave up on the LA Times sports editorialists two months ago after they went overboard mocking and slandering Padres fans and players alike during their Divisional Series Vs the Dodgers. Totally uncalled for. The Dodgers deserved to fall on their face.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

We can do Dodger Talk on the other page, but I think it's important to note that my point is about what the media coverage is in our top recruiting area under Jedd Fisch (with something like 50 percent of our last two recruiting classes coming out of SoCal.) Plus, when somebody slings mud, I like to throw a handful of shit back in their direction. You'd be surprised the extent to which thin-skinned and self-centered newspaper writers scan even fairly obscure fan sites for story ideas and responses to their writings to feed their egos. And even when they don't, colleagues will, and they'll leave a copy of some angry response on their desk to poke fun at them about how beloved and famous they are.