2023 Season Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Carcassdragger

Re: 2023 Season Thread

Post by Carcassdragger »

There is no way we can "lock him in" . If a very big money program wants him, they'll get him.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

We're all gonna be die hard Florida fans next year.
Mike Luke's burner account.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Carcassdragger wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:31 pm There is no way we can "lock him in" . If a very big money program wants him, they'll get him.
This is true for nearly all programs. Doesn’t mean we shouldn’t at least try. Even if we can delay the inevitable for a few more years, it could do big things for the future of our program, including signaling to other up-&-coming coaches that we are willing to invest in winning.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Well, Arizona kept Lute beyond his shelf-life expiration date, and, all things considered, that was a much more difficult "keep".

We can only BTFD!!!!

Eh?
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

KillerKlown wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 1:08 am We're all gonna be die hard Florida fans next year.
Yep, we need them to make the cfp
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

84Cat wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 8:23 am
KillerKlown wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 1:08 am We're all gonna be die hard Florida fans next year.
Why? On both points.
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

RichardCranium wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 3:37 pm
Why? On both points.
Jedd is a Florida alum and it's thought to be his dream job.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
ProfessorFate

Post by ProfessorFate »

Linebacker Leviticus Su'a. Many had him rated as our highest recruit last year.

I find it odd that he did not see the field this year and yet 3 other freshmen linebackers saw action in multiple games. Anyone have any insight on his development?
2023 Football RAP Champion
2022 Mark Schlabach Memorial Bracket Champion
2017 Bear Down Wildcats Survival Pool Champion
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Carroll mentioned him specifically as a guy that stood out late in the year in practice.

Obviously that play didn’t propel him past the kid from Hawaii and Taye Brown so you do have to wonder if he can leapfrog those two in the spring

I still wonder if they will try to move Flowe to DEnd and just tell him to attack. Bit he and Heimuli are just buried on the depth chart
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

You know the PAC is the conference of QBs again when Noah Fifita is 4th team.
TheCatInTheHat

Podcast

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

This is a six minute discussion about the Alamo Bowl matchup. Nothing earth-shaking...I just found it and certainly don't follow them. But, interesting to see the viewpoint of outsiders with no vested interest. (NOTE: After six minutes, there's nothing more than a commercial for a sports betting site.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dK3QKaVAIrU
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Scheer said on the mike Luke podcast that TMac turned down 1m to transfer. Dude is special. This whole team is. We all better enjoy this one and next season because these are special times
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

azcat49 wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 8:26 pm Scheer said on the mike Luke podcast that TMac turned down 1m to transfer. Dude is special. This whole team is. We all better enjoy this one and next season because these are special times
I think our guys are looking at trying to do something very, very special next year and I think they feel capable of doing it.

I agree that these are special times which I don't see lasting longer than next season.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I imagine the UA NIL offer is similar.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

10 and 3 AND A TWO TOUCHDOWN VICTORY OVER OKLAHOMA IN THE ALAMO BOWL????!!!!!!!!!!!!! ARE YOU FRIGGING KIDDING ME????!!!!!!!

Who in the hell thought this was possible? Come on!!!!!!!!!!!!
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
IrishAzCat

Post by IrishAzCat »

10 wins is pretty damn impressive - this team never gave up the entire season...
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

13 games and only behind one time at the end of regulation play. Best team in a quarter of a century. Congratulations all around - from the President to the Athletic Director to the Head Coach, his entire staff, and all the players. Thank you.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

We need to make this happen next year.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Wasn’t it a few years ago we didn’t get 6 turnovers…for the entire season??!!

What a turnaround.
VegasCatFan

Post by VegasCatFan »

It’s amazing to think just how close we were to having an even better season than what we had. Losing 2 games in OT and losing to Washington by only one TD. If we had better fortunes in the OT games, we could have had an argument for being in the playoffs.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

VegasCatFan wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 7:43 am It’s amazing to think just how close we were to having an even better season than what we had. Losing 2 games in OT and losing to Washington by only one TD. If we had better fortunes in the OT games, we could have had an argument for being in the playoffs.
It’s a nice thing to dream about but we have no idea how this team would have performed as a front runner with the immense media attention that comes along with being a CFP contender.

I also think while we only lost by 7 points to Washington, Udub was pretty much in control of the game and we scored in the last minute to make the final score more respectable. Plus, we were also close to losing to a bad Stanford team.

I think after it’s all said and done we hit the ceiling if not smashed it in terms of what was expected from this football team. I also feel we needed those close losses to give the team the confidence to do what they did. Couldn’t be more proud of this team and the coaching staff. They did an amazing job.

So now the question is what happens next? We’ve had good seasons before and have fallen backwards. If what CJF said is true and we are going back to our Tomey-esque roots (taking underrated players who work their ass off…NOT Tomey’s offense Lol) then we might be in for a pleasant surprise next year and maybe beyond.

BTFD!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Woke up a fan of the hottest team in America!

I’m tempted to start the 2024 season thread because of how excited I am for next year but I don’t want to put 2023 to bed just yet!
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

10 wins waaaay surpassed my preseason expectations. I LOVE this team!
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Yea I figured 8-5 was the ceiling. Definitely the best team I've watched in my 21 years of fandom.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I called 8-4 for the season so this rules!
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

EastCoastCat wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:29 am
VegasCatFan wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 7:43 am It’s amazing to think just how close we were to having an even better season than what we had. Losing 2 games in OT and losing to Washington by only one TD. If we had better fortunes in the OT games, we could have had an argument for being in the playoffs.
It’s a nice thing to dream about but we have no idea how this team would have performed as a front runner with the immense media attention that comes along with being a CFP contender.

I also think while we only lost by 7 points to Washington, Udub was pretty much in control of the game and we scored in the last minute to make the final score more respectable. Plus, we were also close to losing to a bad Stanford team.

I think after it’s all said and done we hit the ceiling if not smashed it in terms of what was expected from this football team. I also feel we needed those close losses to give the team the confidence to do what they did. Couldn’t be more proud of this team and the coaching staff. They did an amazing job.

So now the question is what happens next? We’ve had good seasons before and have fallen backwards. If what CJF said is true and we are going back to our Tomey-esque roots (taking underrated players who work their ass off…NOT Tomey’s offense Lol) then we might be in for a pleasant surprise next year and maybe beyond.

BTFD!
We completely smashed through anybody's expectation.

It's good to remember too, that the PAC was stronger this year than it's been in years.

These guys are fucking magnificent.
RawleArenas

Post by RawleArenas »

Despite the ridiculous arrogance of OU fans they should be absolutely thrilled Jackson Arnold led a team to victory...maybe next time it will be theirs.

Too Sooner???
ProfessorFate

Post by ProfessorFate »

When DJ scored with 2:56 to go, we were laughing at all the OU fans reenacting the great land rush as they ran for the exits.
2023 Football RAP Champion
2022 Mark Schlabach Memorial Bracket Champion
2017 Bear Down Wildcats Survival Pool Champion
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Carcassdragger wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 11:38 am In looking at this year's team, we should be better at almost every phase. Our offense should be very improved from last year's-which was already good. I'm thinking that if the defense has substantial improvement (a big if) we're going to surprise and contend for top three in the conference.

6-6 with a chance to do much better. We'll certainly know much more after the Miss St game.

It's been awhile since we've been this good. Recently I watched some of the old Stoops games. Damn those were undisciplined teams.
Indeed defense was much better and top 3. Great season.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

RawleArenas wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:10 am Despite the ridiculous arrogance of OU fans they should be absolutely thrilled Jackson Arnold led a team to victory...maybe next time it will be theirs.

Too Sooner???
Sooner or later.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

UAEebs86 wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 3:45 pm
RichardCranium wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 3:37 pm
Why? On both points.
Jedd is a Florida alum and it's thought to be his dream job.
A few reactions.

1. Florida going after Coach Fisch would still be dependent on how well Arizona does next season. Should the market "correct itself" on Arizona next year, resulting in 7 wins, Fisch is suddenly a much less attractive option for the Gators.

1.a. Look at Baylor coach Dave Aranda and BYU coach Sitake. The past few seasons both names were commonly short-listed at many big name openings. This year both have losing seasons (after a number of winning seasons) and all you hear is crickets.

2. Coach Fisch has no* experience coaching in the SEC (*although his short time at Miami might sorta/kinda count for Gator sentiments). Which I believe will put him behind other likely candidates. Off the bat, two coaches I can think of Florida pursuing would be...

2.a. Lane Kiffin and Dan Lanning. Both have extensive SEC experience and view the SEC as the ultimate destination. Both are flashy recruiters. Perhaps more notably, both Kiffin and Lanning are ahead of the game when it comes to working the Transfer Portal and the NIL system, something Florida badly wants to master.

2.c. Someone might point out how Urban Meyer had zero experience coaching in the SEC before Florida hired him. Fine, but that's was nearly 20 years ago, just before the SEC truly separated itself into a football cult.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

Also too: Coach Fisch was a TENNIS PLAYER at Florida, he never played 1 minute of football in high school or college.
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
gouacats

Post by gouacats »

I’m not that worried about Florida. I AM worried about the NFL assuming he keeps winning here. I would guess that’s where his true aspirations are.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

RichardCranium wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 1:05 am Also too: Coach Fisch was a TENNIS PLAYER at Florida, he never played 1 minute of football in high school or college.
I didn’t play one minute of football at Arizona but I’d still probably quit my job to be the assistant water boy on our staff if it paid enough.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I love Arizona fans!

In 3 years we have gone from - who the fuck is Jedd- to being paranoid of every possible scenario to losing him

I would suggest enjoying the good times and not spend a second worrying of a doomsday scenario

Happy New Year!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Alieberman wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 7:40 am In 3 years we have gone from - who the fuck is Jedd- to being paranoid of every possible scenario to losing him
In three years we’ve gone from a 20 game losing streak to a double digit win season and a victory in a major bowl game against a blue blood.

Having seen the other side of things, can you truly blame fans for desperately clinging to the man who engineered our escape from the pits of college football hell?
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Can’t blame folks at all!

I am just familiar enough with AZ football to know to enjoy this while you can… because it probably won’t last for long!
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

Fisch learned first and foremost how to coach football from Steve Spurrier. Our offense is a variation of the Fun and Gun, with a lot of crossing patterns. If Florida came calling, and Fisch would be coaching in the house that Spurrier built, Fisch would listen.

Not convinced Fisch leaves. First, it depends on next season results for both Florida and Arizona. Florida wins 8 or more, the job isn't open. No guarantee Fisch wins 10 or more next year either. Only thing harder than getting to the top is staying there. I'm confident in Fisch and his plan, but you never know.

Fisch might also wish to stay and build his own legacy in Tucson, rather than follow the greats from Gainesville. From what I understand, Fisch and family love Tucson, and if he stays, one day, we could be calling it Fisch Field at Arizona Stadium.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

But isn’t the key question whether Fisch’s wife prefers grass?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

EastCoastCat wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 8:29 am But isn’t the key question whether Fisch’s wife prefers grass?
What about her allergies?
-JB
TheCatInTheHat

Arizona Bowl

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

Sitting here in LA and watching the bowl from Tucson on Channel 5, I've got to think that can't hurt our recruiting. Not much of a crowd, but nobody really expects that for minor bowls these days. It looks like a beautiful day there (same here), and the drone and other visuals of Tucson, the surrounding area, and the stadium are great. They also show plenty of "Arizona", "Wildcats", and the Block A on the scoreboard and end zones. I gather some don't like the sponsor, so it's fine to stay home or not watch, which probably also has to do with the teams they usually get. But, I'm just acknowledging that getting some decent exposure here in a major recruiting market right after our big bowl win isn't a bad thing.
UAEebs86

Re: Arizona Bowl

Post by UAEebs86 »

TheCatInTheHat wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 3:41 pm Sitting here in LA and watching the bowl from Tucson on Channel 5, I've got to think that can't hurt our recruiting. Not much of a crowd, but nobody really expects that for minor bowls these days. It looks like a beautiful day there (same here), and the drone and other visuals of Tucson, the surrounding area, and the stadium are great. They also show plenty of "Arizona", "Wildcats", and the Block A on the scoreboard and end zones. I gather some don't like the sponsor, so it's fine to stay home or not watch, which probably also has to do with the teams they usually get. But, I'm just acknowledging that getting some decent exposure here in a major recruiting market right after our big bowl win isn't a bad thing.
I thought it was only on "Barstool Network"?
-JB
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

And CW channels
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Chicat wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 8:14 am
Alieberman wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 7:40 am In 3 years we have gone from - who the fuck is Jedd- to being paranoid of every possible scenario to losing him
In three years we’ve gone from a 20 game losing streak to a double digit win season and a victory in a major bowl game against a blue blood.

Having seen the other side of things, can you truly blame fans for desperately clinging to the man who engineered our escape from the pits of college football hell?
If you're not slitting your throat in anticipation of Jedd leaving you're not a true Cat fan!
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 5:52 pm
Chicat wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 8:14 am

If you're not slitting your throat in anticipation of Jedd leaving you're not a true Cat fan!
#BadFan
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

There is a new app which allows you to follow your favorite teams. It is called Autograph. It has a feed with all the Arizona podcasts, twitter posts and articles. I see Scheer, AZ Desert Swarm, AZ Band Cat Sports, ArizonaMBB(offical UA handle), Wildcat Country and Bear Down Ballers. Also has scores & schedules. So far I only see schedules for men & women's BB. Hopefully they will add baseball & softball

Here is the link for iPhone: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/autograph ... 6450019837
The promo code is wildcatcountry