2023 Season Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

azcat49

Re: 2023 Season Thread

Post by azcat49 »

That is right but it still points to the fact they passed on the hottest team in the conference who hasn’t been to a bowl since 2017. The only reason they would do that is they feel our fans won’t support the team
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Been to a couple Holiday Bowls. Fun!
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Fans make decisions and that's fine. But then they hate when they are held accountable for their decisions
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Didn't move in the cfb rankings tonight, still 15
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

If we had Louisville's schedule we'd be undefeated.
Mike Luke's burner account.
Siempre Verde

Post by Siempre Verde »

I was at UofA’s other Alamo Bowl appearance (Oy), but I don’t see me making the trek back to SAT. It’s a fine bowl game (though I am not in love with the dome itself which led to my prior lack of enthusiasm) and I will encourage any UofA fan to attend. Moreover, SAT is a fun city with great food. I’ve been going to El Paseo del Rio, the beautiful missions, and La Villita off and on since my sister lived there in the 80’s. My wife was in basic training there, yet still has an affinity for the city. It’s just rather difficult for us to travel to this year due to some pet issues (another one dying suddenly the other night leaving a lonely cat…hopefully having a new puppy and/or kitten within the next couple of weeks). One night in LAS or SAN we might have been able to swing with the help of the neighbors, but we can’t do two or more nights away. That’s why I selfishly posted what I did before. It’s nothing personal against the city or bowl, it’s just harder for us to go this year. I really hope as many fans as possible attend. This team deserves the bigger bowl and the experiences that go with it!!

There. I hope I’ve cancelled out my apparent anti-Alamo Bowl post. All things being normal, we’d have gone for sure.
ProfessorFate

Post by ProfessorFate »

Siempre Verde wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 7:41 am I was at UofA’s other Alamo Bowl appearance (Oy), but I don’t see me making the trek back to SAT. It’s a fine bowl game (though I am not in love with the dome itself which led to my prior lack of enthusiasm) and I will encourage any UofA fan to attend. Moreover, SAT is a fun city with great food. I’ve been going to El Paseo del Rio, the beautiful missions, and La Villita off and on since my sister lived there in the 80’s. My wife was in basic training there, yet still has an affinity for the city. It’s just rather difficult for us to travel to this year due to some pet issues (another one dying suddenly the other night leaving a lonely cat…hopefully having a new puppy and/or kitten within the next couple of weeks). One night in LAS or SAN we might have been able to swing with the help of the neighbors, but we can’t do two or more nights away. That’s why I selfishly posted what I did before. It’s nothing personal against the city or bowl, it’s just harder for us to go this year. I really hope as many fans as possible attend. This team deserves the bigger bowl and the experiences that go with it!!

There. I hope I’ve cancelled out my apparent anti-Alamo Bowl post. All things being normal, we’d have gone for sure.
Was curious about your poor experience so thanks for the context.

I was also at that game and it was certainly no fun. The highlight of that day was seeing Lute on the Riverwalk.
2023 Football RAP Champion
2022 Mark Schlabach Memorial Bracket Champion
2017 Bear Down Wildcats Survival Pool Champion
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

As you look back it’s amazing how the Foles led team seemed so over matched in those two bowls. A real bummer, especially if you were there. Wife got Pneumonia from that game in San Diego
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Was at both those games. Really fun times besides the games.

The more I think about it the more I like Holiday Bowl vs Notre Dame. Alamo should be the bowl though and I know the team believes that it is going to San Antonio. Just wish it was something that was a bit easier to get to from Arizona.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Truth on the proximity being a factor. Will be a 2k trip right after Christmas so not cheap.

Really surprised the Vegas bowl hasn’t elevated its payout. I know they want the pre holiday traffic during the slow period but with a new stadium and the desire to get people there, elevating the status and payout would seem to help.

Have to wonder about the dates for the 12 team playoff next year. With 12 teams they will have to give 4 teams a first round bye then playing 4 games in the first round. Then you’ll have 4 games the next week followed by two semi’s and then the final. Hard to imagine Vegas not being a western bowl site pre Christmas
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Season PFF Grades

https://www.azdesertswarm.com/football/ ... op-players

ARIZONA FOOTBALL
How Arizona players graded during 2023 season, per Pro Football Focus
By Ezra Amacher Nov 29, 2023, 6:00am PST

Mark J. Rebilas-USA TODAY Sports
The Arizona Wildcats concluded the regular season Saturday with a dominant Territorial Cup victory over ASU. The win capped off a 6-game streak and gave Arizona nine in a season for just the seventh time in program history.

Year 3 under Jedd Fisch has been significant step forward for the program. Numbers from Pro Football Focus back up the progress Arizona has made in 2023.

Arizona finished the regular season with a 91.0 overall grade, up from 73.8 in 2022. That ranks tied for 19th in the country, compared to 99th a year ago and 127th in 2021. Arizona graded 6th nationally in offense (90.8) and 73rd in defense (79.8).

Arizona’s best grade was in the run game, where it ranked 8th nationally (92.4), while its lowest grade was run blocking (61.7).

Arizona’s best game against an FBS opponent was its win at Washington State on Oct. 14, where it scored a 90.9 grade, while the ASU win was graded at 90.5. The losses to Mississippi State (62.7) and Washington (63.8) were the lowest-graded.

Below is a breakdown of how some of Arizona's players graded individually.

Offense
Most snaps: OT Jonah Savaiinaea (821 of 824), C Josh Baker (810), G Wenell Moe (796), OT Jordan Morgan (787), WR Tetairoa McMillan (771)

Highest overall grades (at least 100 snaps): RB Jonah Coleman (91.2 on 382 snaps) McMillan (86.2 on 771), RB Michael Wiley (85.4 on 223), Morgan (83.6 on 787), QB Noah Fifita (81.8 on 581)

Best passing grades: Wiley (91.6 on 130 snaps), McMillan (87.7 on 434), Fifita (83.1 on 339), Coleman (79.0 on 189), TE Tanner McLachlan (71.6 on 368)

Best pass-blocking grades: Morgan (89.9 on 477 snaps), Moe (84.7 on 479), Savaiinaea (78.4 on 491), OT Joseph Bjorn (75.4 on 106), Baker (74.9 on 488)

Best running grades: Coleman (92.7 on 123 snaps), Wiley (81.8 on 65), Williams (81.7 on 82), RB Rayshon Luke (73.3 on 36)

Best run-blocking grades: Morgan (75.3 on 310 snaps), Moe (64.6 on 317), McMillan (61.6 on 297)

Defense
Most snaps: LB Jacob Manu (758 of 810), CB Ephesians Prysock (756), S Dalton Johnson (726), S Gunnar Maldonado (703), CB Treydan Stukes (668)

Highest overall grades (at least 100 snaps): CB Tacario Davis (81.1 on 659 snaps), Stukes (78.8 on 668), S Martell Irby (77.1 on 241), DL Bill Norton (73.4 on 353), Russell Davis II (72.9 on 211)

Best tackling grades: Maldonado (79.9 on 703 snaps), DL Sio Nofoagatoto’a (78.0 on 204 snaps), Davis (76.7 on 659), S DJ Warnell Jr. (75.8 on 127 snaps), LB Jeremy Mercier (75.5 on 128 snaps)

Best run defense grades: Mercier (78.9 on 50 snaps), LB Taye Brown (76.7 on 24) (Stukes (76.7 on 246), Maldonado (75.7 on 267), Johnson (73.0 on 288)

Best pass rushing grades: Manu (80.2 on 71 snaps), Edge Taylor Upshaw (73.2 on 283), Davis II (70.4 on 113), Edge Ta’ita’i Uiagalelei (67.9 on 189), Norton (66.6 on 168)

Best coverage grades: Davis (82.4 on 383 snaps), Irby (79.7 on 124), Stukes (79.5 on 413), Maldonado (70.7 on 432), Prysock (70.6 on 450)

Special teams
Most snaps: Warnell Jr. (209), Anthony Ward (183), Irby (156)

Best overall grades: Uiagalelei (90.0 on 36 snaps), Ward (85.6 on 183), Prysock (77.5 on 135)
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

We went from 127th to 19th in two very short years. Holy shit I almost want to give Jedd a lifetime contract. One more great year and we build a statue.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

azcat49 wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:43 am Truth on the proximity being a factor. Will be a 2k trip right after Christmas so not cheap.

Really surprised the Vegas bowl hasn’t elevated its payout. I know they want the pre holiday traffic during the slow period but with a new stadium and the desire to get people there, elevating the status and payout would seem to help.

Have to wonder about the dates for the 12 team playoff next year. With 12 teams they will have to give 4 teams a first round bye then playing 4 games in the first round. Then you’ll have 4 games the next week followed by two semi’s and then the final. Hard to imagine Vegas not being a western bowl site pre Christmas
Hopefully a lot of UA fans will buy tickets and donate them.

It would be great in terms of showing love to the military and charities and also help future bowl births.

Would absolutely love to go to San Antonio this year but dont think I can with my daughter and my wife's schedule for work. Could have done Vegas and while it would suck, I think I could do a quick San Diego trip. Just drive day of in the morning, hit up the best brewery outside of Arizona at Pure Project, go to the game, get a hotel one night and drive back early the next day. Cant do that for San Antonio unfortunately.

But I will be buying tickets for any bowl UA is in. Hope others can do the same. No one is a bad fan if they dont, just helps overall if some can do that
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

dmjcat wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:28 pm
Best passing grades: Wiley (91.6 on 130 snaps), McMillan (87.7 on 434), Fifita (83.1 on 339), Coleman (79.0 on 189), TE Tanner McLachlan (71.6 on 368)

Pretty odd stat there. Probably should have separated out passing and receiving. Wiley had 28 receptions, McMillan 80. Number of snaps where they didn't touch the ball or even make contact with a defender doesn't seem all the relevant.

In any event, Speedy should get the Wiley receptions yards next season.

PHXCATS wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:17 pm
Hopefully a lot of UA fans will buy tickets and donate them.
The UA is contractually required to purchase so many tickets to a bowl game. I know in prior years they have really taken it in the shorts, such as the Gildan New Mexico bowl. Fortunately the PAC splits bowl revenues so it didn't directly cost the UA any money, although it cost the PAC. I recall other schools turning down bowl offers since they lose money on them.

I do believe the UA donates what they can't sell, but getting people to show up is another matter.

Looking up the 2012 game, the announced attendance was 24K. The 2105 Gildan NM Bowl was 30K. The Foster Farms Bowl in 2017 was 28K.

Actual attendance, well...

84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

According to Scheer, 99.9% chance we're going to the Alamo Bowl. I guess we'll find out Sunday
Siempre Verde

Post by Siempre Verde »

ProfessorFate wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:16 am
Siempre Verde wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 7:41 am I was at UofA’s other Alamo Bowl appearance (Oy), but I don’t see me making the trek back to SAT. It’s a fine bowl game (though I am not in love with the dome itself which led to my prior lack of enthusiasm) and I will encourage any UofA fan to attend. Moreover, SAT is a fun city with great food. I’ve been going to El Paseo del Rio, the beautiful missions, and La Villita off and on since my sister lived there in the 80’s. My wife was in basic training there, yet still has an affinity for the city. It’s just rather difficult for us to travel to this year due to some pet issues (another one dying suddenly the other night leaving a lonely cat…hopefully having a new puppy and/or kitten within the next couple of weeks). One night in LAS or SAN we might have been able to swing with the help of the neighbors, but we can’t do two or more nights away. That’s why I selfishly posted what I did before. It’s nothing personal against the city or bowl, it’s just harder for us to go this year. I really hope as many fans as possible attend. This team deserves the bigger bowl and the experiences that go with it!!

I was also at that game and it was certainly no fun. The highlight of that day was seeing Lute on the Riverwalk.
Yep, was right there at the same restaurant. Tried to get another picture with him, but the man was busy. Got one with Rocky LaRose though. Small victories.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Siempre Verde wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 7:58 pm
ProfessorFate wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:16 am

Yep, was right there at the same restaurant. Tried to get another picture with him, but the man was busy. Got one with Rocky LaRose though. Small victories.
One of my most cherished possessions is a picture of me, my best friend from UofA, and Lute before a 'Cats game in Florida in 1992.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Final Bowl Projections:

CBS (Jerry Palm) Alamo Bowl: UA vs. Oklahoma
USA Today: Alamo Bowl: UA vs. Oklahoma State
Bleacher Report: Alamo Bowl: UA vs. Oklahoma
Sporting News: Alamo Bowl: UA. vs. Oklahoma
247Sports: Alamo Bowl: UA vs. Oklahoma
TheAthletic: Alamo Bowl: UA vs. Oklahoma
Athlon Sports: Alamo Bowl: UA vs. Oklahoma
Action Network: Alamo Bowl: UA vs. Oklahoma
Yahoo Sports: Alamo Bowl: UA vs. Oklahoma
CollegeFootball News: Alamo Bowl: UA vs. Oklahoma
CollegeFootballNetwork: Holiday Bowl: UA vs. Notre Dame
FoxSports: Alamo Bowl: UA vs. Oklahoma
BettingPros: Alamo Bowl: UA vs. Oklahoma
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Really could be the marquee match up of the non NY6 Games
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Gonna be total bullshit when it is Oklahoma State

Give me Arizona v Notre Dame in the Holiday a million times over Arizona v Oklahoma State in the Alamo
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Would be very disappointed in player Okie light but still prefer the Alamo Bowl.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Fans bitching about what bowl/opponent they are getting 3 years removed from a 20 game losing streak is peak Arizona.
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

Going 3-2 in your last 5 games with no conference championship appearance and still possibly playing your way into the Cotton bowl is right on brand if your a powerhouse.
Still prefer the Alamo bowl.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Cats are gonna play the Cowboys often. Bowls are about unique matchups

Sooners would be. Irish would be.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Give us ND or Oklahoma. Please.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
cerec_cat

Post by cerec_cat »

When do we find out?
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

cerec_cat wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 11:42 am When do we find out?
If Javier Morales is correct (usually the most inaccurate guy in Tucson) then as soon as the other NY6 bowls are announced.

He says for Alamo it is Oregon if not in NY6 then Arizona. Same for Oklahoma if not in NY6 then Oklahoma State
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

azgreg wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:59 am Fans bitching about what bowl/opponent they are getting 3 years removed from a 20 game losing streak is peak Arizona.

Very much disagree. We earned a top tier bowl game vs a top ranked opponent by going 9-3 in the toughest conference in America. To be relegated to a lower bowl is just disrespectful.

Playing a non ranked team would be disappointing but if Okie St earned it based on the Big 12’s criteria then we are playing their best they have to offer I guess
cerec_cat

Post by cerec_cat »

Wtf Fiesta Bowl?
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

cerec_cat wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 12:40 pm Wtf Fiesta Bowl?
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Arizona finishes #14 in final CFP Top 25 poll
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Oklahoma v Arizona in the Alamo!!!
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

Cool. This team has earned it.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Officially official
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Liberty LOL
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

UAEebs86 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 1:01 pmLiberty LOL
I know. What dafuck??
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

wyo-cat wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 1:07 pm
I know. What dafuck??
Highest ranked G5 team.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

One of the NY6 bowls is required to take the highest ranked group of 5 teams

KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

Too bad Tulsa didn't win thier Championship. Best G5 out there.
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

azgreg wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 1:08 pm
I know. What dafuck??
Highest ranked G5 team.
Satan's Horde is reputably a good football team. But how does that rate the Fiesta Bowl?
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

RichardCranium wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 5:01 pm
I know. What dafuck??
Highest ranked G5 team.
Satan's Horde is reputably a good football team. But how does that rate the Fiesta Bowl?
Because that's what's required based on what the NCAA and schools decided

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I know. What dafuck??
Highest ranked G5 team.
I believe the Fiesta Bowl got last pick of the NY6 teams.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Per Wiki:

Three of the bowls have tie-ins with the specified conference champions in the years they are not hosting playoff semifinals:

Rose Bowl: Big Ten vs. Pac-12[4]
Sugar Bowl: SEC vs. Big 12[3]
Orange Bowl: ACC vs. Big Ten, SEC, or Notre Dame[5]
When the conference champion is unavailable, the bowls invite the next-best team from that conference. The Cotton,[1] Fiesta,[4] and Peach Bowls have no conference tie-ins;[4] as such, the best conference champion from the Group of Five will play in one of those bowls if it does not qualify for the CFP semifinal.[3]
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

I know. What dafuck??
Highest ranked G5 team.
They are not good. According to ESPN they have the worst SoS in the FBS. Oregon got shafted.
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

Fishclamps wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 6:42 pm
I know. What dafuck??
Highest ranked G5 team.
They are not good. According to ESPN they have the worst SoS in the FBS. Oregon got shafted.
I didn't say they were a great team, but they are good. Undefeated Conference Champions aren't bad teams.

But, yes, Oregon got shafted and the Fiesta Bowl got shafted. Oregon is gonna kill Satan's Horde and nobody is gonna bother to turn on their TV to see it.
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

RichardCranium wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 8:24 pm

I know. What dafuck??
Highest ranked G5 team.
I didn't say they were a great team, but they are good. Undefeated Conference Champions aren't bad teams.

But, yes, Oregon got shafted and the Fiesta Bowl got shafted. Oregon is gonna kill Satan's Horde and nobody is gonna bother to turn on their TV to see it.
Maybe Nix will opt to not play...

... same as stupid injury consideration??
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

pc in NM wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:03 pm

Highest ranked G5 team.

Nix already announced he is playing
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

PHXCATS wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:43 pm
pc in NM wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:03 pm

Nix already announced he is playing
Actually, I was going for :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: , with a touch of :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

I know. What dafuck??
Highest ranked G5 team.

Blame the stupid rule that 1 Group of 5 team must be selected. Someone was going to be screwed and it happened to the Fiesta Bowl and Oregon.