2023 Transfer Portal

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

TheCatInTheHat

Re: 2023 Transfer Portal

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

Irish27 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:27 pm An asu booster just donated one million after Dillingham was hired. I think asu got their coach. He is an alum and most likely will not leave. He still has not coached a game yet but their program is in a better place than it was a month ago.
If you were to plot their ups-and-downs on a bar chart, it's been dropping like the 1929 market crash since the Eastern Michigan game. I'm sure they get some kind of bump with getting a coach off the Oregon staff vs. Aguano the high school interim guy. But then, it just goes straight line left-to-right way down there for some time to come as NCAA sanctions await. As for the one MILLION dollars, well...that doesn't go quite as far as it used to.

azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

ChooChooCat wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:55 pm JDL isn't going anywhere guys and neither is any other offensive player worth a shit outside of maybe Cowing of course (NFL).

So I assume you are saying Singer will be coaxed back? Am I understanding you correctly Choo?
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Singer is the best receiver I've ever seen at Arizona. Guys like this don't show up here very often. T Mac is a huge exception. We need to do everything we can to hang onto Dorian.

I'm wondering if he's pissed at us and that's the reason he felt it necessary to tweet the ASU offer.

Come on Dorian. We want and need you here. Being a Wildcat alumni is a special thing.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
gouacats

Post by gouacats »

Based on the Wildcaster podcast from last week, it sounds like Lev was expecting this. Implied he was looking for his NIL payday and didn't like being overshadowed by Cowing and TMac. My uniformed opinion is if the Cats somehow come up with the payday part, he would likely stay, especially if Cowing goes pro.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Dude has got to realize that having other great receivers around takes some top coverage guys off of him and provides more opportunity.

Also, most teams don't have a stud QB like JDL, who, when he's on, can flat throw darts.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

azcat49 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:53 pm
ChooChooCat wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:55 pm JDL isn't going anywhere guys and neither is any other offensive player worth a shit outside of maybe Cowing of course (NFL).

So I assume you are saying Singer will be coaxed back? Am I understanding you correctly Choo?
He is not coming back, Choo I believe is saying not other players other than Singer and maybe Cowing will be leaving.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Carcassdragger wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:28 pm Singer is the best receiver I've ever seen at Arizona. Guys like this don't show up here very often. T Mac is a huge exception. We need to do everything we can to hang onto Dorian.

I'm wondering if he's pissed at us and that's the reason he felt it necessary to tweet the ASU offer.

Come on Dorian. We want and need you here. Being a Wildcat alumni is a special thing.
He's gone! Big loss!

[tweet]https://twitter.com/dorian_singer1/stat ... AN81ygLQrw
[/tweet]
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

We all knew this one was coming.
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

gouacats wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:33 pm Based on the Wildcaster podcast from last week, it sounds like Lev was expecting this. Implied he was looking for his NIL payday and didn't like being overshadowed by Cowing and TMac. My uniformed opinion is if the Cats somehow come up with the payday part, he would likely stay, especially if Cowing goes pro.
If he is transferring for a payday, fine whatever.
If it has anything to do with being jealous of an 18 year old freshman and a senior, BYE. Doubt it though.
Mike Luke's burner account.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Cowing is returning.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

azgreg wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:13 pm Cowing is returning.
That is some great news for the program.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Great news about Cowing.

Still with some of these other guys, it's disturbing when you find out that some of them, who we thought were our guys and recognized we were building something special, really weren't our guys at all.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

That tweet sounds like Cowing is coming back.

Anyone worried Fafeta leaves?
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Everybody is hitting the portal
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

I think Fifita will stay and be named the starter for the 2024 season.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

Singer should look up the name Alvin Harper. Was a great WR2 for the Cowboys during their titles in the 1990s. But hated being second option behind Michael Irvin and wanted WR1 money. Got his huge contract, but never lived up to it. Being the 2nd option with a great QB while WR1 gets to face the top corners and double teams isn't a bad deal.

I think Singer thinks he should be WR1. And with Cowing and TMac returning, at best, Singer is WR3. With a QB like JDL and two receivers drawing a lot of attention, a guy like Singer can and did put up large numbers. But can he do it as when the focus is on him?

As for Fifita, saw a ton of potential, but just not ready to play at this level yet. Chances are, he wound be QB2 or battling to start wherever he went, with no guarantee he'd win the job. Stay, and he is QB2 here as a RS Freshman and will likely get more playing time next year. And if JDL leaves after next year, Fifita will be the starter as a RS Soph.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

AzCatFan2 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:27 pm Singer should look up the name Alvin Harper. Was a great WR2 for the Cowboys during their titles in the 1990s. But hated being second option behind Michael Irvin and wanted WR1 money. Got his huge contract, but never lived up to it. Being the 2nd option with a great QB while WR1 gets to face the top corners and double teams isn't a bad deal.

I think Singer thinks he should be WR1. And with Cowing and TMac returning, at best, Singer is WR3. With a QB like JDL and two receivers drawing a lot of attention, a guy like Singer can and did put up large numbers. But can he do it as when the focus is on him?

As for Fifita, saw a ton of potential, but just not ready to play at this level yet. Chances are, he wound be QB2 or battling to start wherever he went, with no guarantee he'd win the job. Stay, and he is QB2 here as a RS Freshman and will likely get more playing time next year. And if JDL leaves after next year, Fifita will be the starter as a RS Soph.
This is all completely wrong. Singer was not only our #1 but was #1 in the PAC 12.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

Carcassdragger wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:59 am
AzCatFan2 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:27 pm Singer should look up the name Alvin Harper. Was a great WR2 for the Cowboys during their titles in the 1990s. But hated being second option behind Michael Irvin and wanted WR1 money. Got his huge contract, but never lived up to it. Being the 2nd option with a great QB while WR1 gets to face the top corners and double teams isn't a bad deal.

This is all completely wrong. Singer was not only our #1 but was #1 in the PAC 12.
Did Singer ever face an opposing team's best corner? No. Cowing was the guy who got that attention. Cowing was the guy who received the most attention, and every time a team put a LB or S on Cowing, it was a mistake we exploited, often for a TD. Happened a few times early in the season, but teams adjusted, and Cowing was the man defenses locked into when we lined up. Not Singer.

The entire offense also benefitted from having a TE in Machlachan and a RB in Wiley that were excellent pass catchers. Both Mac and Wiley were too good to be covered by a LB alone, which means Safeties would have to cover them. Or teams were forced to play 5 DB against us. Against ASu, they played a lot of nickel against us, and we exploited it by running the ball. In contrast, on D against ASu, our main concern was stopping X Valliday, and we played mostly single high safety, putting 8 in the box. The result? ASu threw the ball all over the field against us.

Not discounting Singer's ability. He's very good, and very valuable. But as WR1 he'll be a marked man, and the guy other defenses will key in on. Again, ask Alvin Harper what a difference it makes when you're lined up against a team's CB1 every game, or CB2 or S1. Singer might be good enough to thrive as a WR1? Maybe not. Guess we'll see.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

They will not be missed
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

dmjcat wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:10 am They will not be missed
Can we please not insult these kids? Every kid who agreed to come here and make a go of it has contributed more to this program than anybody on this board. All of them will be missed to some degree. Especially developmental guys.

Sure can't blame some of them for wanting to try it someplace else.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

California edge rusher
Last edited by dmjcat on Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Carcassdragger wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:41 am
dmjcat wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:10 am They will not be missed
Can we please not insult these kids? Every kid who agreed to come here and make a go of it has contributed more to this program than anybody on this board. All of them will be missed to some degree. Especially developmental guys.

Sure can't blame some of them for wanting to try it someplace else.
100%. That is asu bullshit to say shit like that. They committed to U of A and did what they could. Everyone is valued on a team even if you dont see it on the field.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

As far the portal has been a mixed bag for us. Cowing, Echols and Roberts have been great while Reed, Rutherford and Warnell (to a lessor degree) have been role players.

One thing it seems, you go to JUCO and your route to big time football with a scholarship is more daunting now than ever.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

Formerly Lynx Rufus.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

And another little used player heads for the exit
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Especially the defensive players. If you can't get into the game on this bottom 5 defense, then maybe you should really think FCS. Offense is more successful of course, but the big uglies rarely get subbed out.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

https://nevadawolfpack.com/sports/footb ... tarck/8253
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

Personally I won't blame any kid for cashing in on success at the college level. This is bad for amateur football, but it's great for them. The NFL is a crap shoot for a decent payday for almost anyone, and the sport is so brutal the injury bug could come at any minute. They need to seize the now and take care of themselves and their family.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Let's face it guys - college football/sports will never be the same. I am not bitter or angry as I have always been in the camp it's about time the players get what they deserve because it's literally their necks on the line playing a sport(s) we as fans enjoy so much and they are the ones generating the huge revenues.

Having said that, I'm also glad to have witnessed the "old days" where you could watch players help your school for more than 1 year and there was a clear delineation between college and pro sports.

It is what it is...
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

EastCoastCat wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:47 am Let's face it guys - college football/sports will never be the same. I am not bitter or angry as I have always been in the camp it's about time the players get what they deserve because it's literally their necks on the line playing a sport(s) we as fans enjoy so much and they are the ones generating the huge revenues.

Having said that, I'm also glad to have witnessed the "old days" where you could watch players help your school for more than 1 year and there was a clear delineation between college and pro sports.

It is what it is...
Yeah, now it seems that getting kids out of the portal is preferable to kissing the ass of a 17 year old kid constantly until he commits. At least the portal guys can't transfer again without losing a year.

But you're right, at least with the current system, 17 year olds aren't basically stuck with their decision.

In the end though, I'm hoping these guys see what I do. There is no better place to live, play football, and go to school than the U of A and Tucson. Such a completely great place.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I'm all for any player doing they seem as best for them.

I may hate the transfer portal system as a fan... but I get it.

But with 1000s of players transferring each year- what % actually find themselves in better situations?

I'm guessing it's not too high...
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I think I saw a stat where last year almost half of the transfer portal didn’t play a snap of football and most of those didn’t even enroll at a school.

For every Javon Cowing, JDL and Dorian Singer there is a Shontel Key, woody Jean and Jermaine Wiggins
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

What a one time transfer without sitting out a year and NIL were intended to be is great for everyone.

What it has become fucking sucks for the majority of players and schools and fans and alumni.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

azcat49 wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:01 am I think I saw a stat where last year almost half of the transfer portal didn’t play a snap of football and most of those didn’t even enroll at a school.

For every Javon Cowing, JDL and Dorian Singer there is a Shontel Key, woody Jean and Jermaine Wiggins
Yeah. Something like 40% of the scholarship players that enter the transfer portal don’t get offered a scholarship somewhere else.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

OSUCat wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:51 pm
azcat49 wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:01 am I think I saw a stat where last year almost half of the transfer portal didn’t play a snap of football and most of those didn’t even enroll at a school.

Yeah. Something like 40% of the scholarship players that enter the transfer portal don’t get offered a scholarship somewhere else.
[/quo

That is a shame. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say maybe these players or a lot of them don't reach out to smaller schools. That might be an environment they could thrive in and finish getting their education paid for.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

I visited other schools message boards from other conferences and most of them have a similar thread regarding the transfer portal.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

Irish27 wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 2:47 pm I visited other schools message boards from other conferences and most of them have a similar thread regarding the transfer portal.
I just saw a slideshow of all the Bama players in the portal. Whole lot of 4 and 5 star kids looking for new homes. As an Arizona fan I can’t imagine even getting players of that caliber but I’d absolutely be losing my mind if ten of them were leaving.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

35 alone from Bama and Oregon. We be nice to get a few d linemen from Bama.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Yikes, I wonder if this will hurt Leach in trying to get players to go to Miss State?
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Is Fall even on scholarship? I don’t remember his recruitment.

Wondering when and if Will Plummer will hit the portal? Cruz has eligibility left but Fisch said he may become a grad assistant. Good career choice for him
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

I legit thought at first glance that was Bal transferring from the basketball team and it pretty much made sense.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Those numbers were under normal conditions.

The flood that just entered the portal is gonna push those numbers down.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Ya!...?....I guess
TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

As far as the transfer portal, we've pretty much had the one-sided "outies", now it's time for our "innies," starting with the much needed interior D-lineman from UCLA. We appear to be on the trail for some decent talent, with offers out there.

Meanwhile, after the previous discussion about ASU's new boy-wonder coach, consequential losses to the outbound portal include two starting O-linemen (both with draft potential), their starting all-Pac-12 punter, and a decent reserve former 4-star DE. So far, the only inbound transfer of any note is a replacement punter from New Mexico St.

This is the new world order. I don't see the freshmen recruits having nearly the impact of this past season, so it's really about trolling the portal, mostly for linemen on both sides of the ball, and LBs. And some will be one-and-done types. I don't necessarily like it, but that's just the way it is.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

We have a legit shot at a 5 star LB and we are making another run at a BAMA recruit who 4 stars and plays offensive tackle.

ASSU just is way behind on its NIL. These kids I think know the shelf life on unprecedented offers is soon to close or at least be modified for a more level playing field
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »