22 Art Luppino - “The Cactus Comet”

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ANGCatFan

22 Art Luppino - “The Cactus Comet”

Post by ANGCatFan »

Eight Arizona football jerseys have been retired, but only 1 number - Art Luppino's #22. In 1954 and 1955 "The Cactus Comet" led the nation in rushing yards, becoming the first player in college football to do it 2 years in a row and he did it while a sophomore and a junior.

He set national records in rushing that stood for 17 years and is the most common name in the AZ record book. On 18 Sept 1954 Luppino, a sophomore, in his first season on the field, tore up New Mexico St setting a bunch of records that still stand today. On 6 carries he rushed for 228 yards, had 2 kickoff returns for another 131 yards, and scored 5 TDs. Again, he touched the ball 8 times in the game, averaged 44.9 yards on every touch and scored on 5 of the 8 possessions scoring 32 points in the game (he also kicked the extra points). Now that is a game.

Some of the other records still held by Luppino;

38 yards per rushing attempt in the New Mexico game in 1954
7.59 yards per rush in a season (min 100 attempts) in 1954
6.6 yards per rush in a career (min 200 attempts)
166 points scored in a season 1954
24 TDs in the 1954 season (tied with Ka'Deem Carey)
5 record for 2 pt conversions made in a game and in a season
2 kickoff returns in a season and in a career (tied with 3 others)
29.17 yards per return for a season 1954
25.7 yards per return for a career

The best write-up I could find on Luppino was by B_Dog from Arizona Football Online:
Art Luppino grew up in La Jolla, the son of Sal and Catherine Luppino. He was born with legs so twisted, his parents were told he would be a cripple, and he had to wear leg braces and corrective shoes until age five. (Maybe that's where that part of the Forrest Gump story came from.)

By the time he played football in high school, he could run a sub-10.0 100 yard dash, but his real speed was evident in the 60 yard dash, which he could perform in world-class sub-6.0 second speed. His other talent was in reading defenses, following blocks, cutting, and generally using his elusiveness to avoid would-be tacklers. He was relatively small at 5-9, but with his talent, he had a number of options for college. Due to a connection with a vice principal at La Jolla High School who was a UofA grad, and his (short-lived) desire to play baseball for Frank Sancet, he picked Arizona.

Warren Woodson was the football coach. He was considered something of an offensive genius with his traps and sweeps, and he had a pretty good offensive line. It was a perfect fit. His sophomore season of 1954 was Luppino's best season at UofA, as he set a record with 2,193 all-purpose yards. He led the nation in rushing, was on a national magazine cover, and received the nickname The Cactus Comet.

1955 was also a decent year for Luppino, although his team's overall record wasn't as good. One issue was that he was a target for cheap shots, as opposing teams frequently tried to knock him out of games. (This was in the period prior to face masks.) Then, prior to his senior year, in a practice scrimmage, he twisted his knee while being tackled. He should have had knee surgery, but he thought he could play, and in fact, he played the entire season on a bad knee.

Luppino concedes that, considering his size, he wasn't NFL material, and he wasn't interested in pursuing a pro career, even if he hadn't hurt his knee. So, after his college years, he became a school teacher in Oceanside.

But, he was the first truly national star at the UofA, and the #22 jersey of The Cactus Comet has a permanent place of honor overlooking the field at Arizona Stadium.
Recently the University of Idaho digitized old game films making several Arizona games available online for the first time. Anthony Gimino watched all the films including 2 involving Luppino.

Oct. 16, 1954 — Arizona 35, Idaho 13
The Wildcats are in the dark jerseys, and you see Luppino, No. 22, as a running back and as a safety … and he’s the guy kicking the extra points.

Some things to note:

At about the 7:37 mark, you’ll see a big Arizona gain on a nifty jump pass that would make Tim Tebow proud.

As for Luppino, he scores around the 22:50 mark on a 1-yard plunge, has a interception and a 42-yard return at 23:59 and scores on a 25-yard run on a pitch around left end at 31:04.

Also, at 13:55, Arizona’s Bill Codd picks off a pass and returns it 20 yards for a touchdown.

There are a couple of gaps late in this video, which is a shame, because you don’t see the Cats’ final score. That must have been Luppino’s 22-yard interception return for a touchdown, completing the now-rare offense-defense scoring feat.

Luppino rushed 23 times for 178 yards in this game, also catching two passes for 22 yards.
Oct. 1, 1955 — Arizona 47, Idaho 14

Arizona is wearing the white jerseys this time, as Luppino rushed 16 times for 129 yards and a 5-yard touchdown. That scoring run around right end comes at the 12:16 mark of the video.
Before there was Trung, Ka'Deem, or Michael Wiley there was Art Luppino - The only Wildcat to lead the Nation in rushing for 2 straight years and the only Arizona football player to have his number retired.
azcat49

Re: 22 Art Luppino - “The Cactus Comet”

Post by azcat49 »

Great post and thx for the research. Dude was good
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

How did he do his Sr. year? I'm assuming the injuries from the cheap shots affected his last year.

Cactus Comet has to be one of the coolest nicknames ever.
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

Also in that film, I saw two bad fumbles, that I thought were made by Luppino, but I could be mistaken. I also saw him take a huge hit getting thrown up into the air and dropped on his back - then running off-tackle for a 7 yard gain on the very next play.
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

I liked the old ‘50’s car parked by the corner of the end zone. Nice parking spot. Lol.
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

My old High School football coach played with "The Comet". He came to the UofA planning on being the premier running back for the UoA and then Luppino showed up and my coach changed positions.