7 Jayden de Laura

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Merkin

Re: 7 Jayden de Laura

Post by Merkin »

College football is being ruined by NIL, and now unlimited undergrad transfers.

On the court ruling: https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/eligib ... -TROQA.pdf
arizonawildcats wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 11:17 am
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I thought the NCAA said as they appealed that ruling that if they win and a kid uses this window for the opportunity that they will lose a full year of eligibility?
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

He can stay enrolled and graduate in May. Then he gone.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azcat49 wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 3:10 pm I thought the NCAA said as they appealed that ruling that if they win and a kid uses this window for the opportunity that they will lose a full year of eligibility?
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

GlobalCat

Post by GlobalCat »

See ya.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

Buh bye
LuteIsGod

Post by LuteIsGod »

Merkin wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 2:58 pm College football is being ruined by NIL, and now unlimited undergrad transfers.

On the court ruling: https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/eligib ... -TROQA.pdf
arizonawildcats wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 11:17 am
I agree.

I don’t foresee college bball or football being around in 5 years and it’s why I’m trying to attend as many of the good games as I can.
I will see you there, or I will see you on another time
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Stay with us Jedd. Relationships matter, and elsewhere there's always another pretty girl waiting to be kissed. So hang with the love and the people of Tucson and UofA.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Robert A Booey

Post by Robert A Booey »

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Paging Ari and Merk. Please pick up the white courtesy phone...

https://clutchpoints.com/jayden-de-laur ... llegations

Members of the Texas State community planned to protest the Bobcats' signing of De Laura on Friday, Jan. 26, per Keff Ciardello. As a result, De Laura withdrew from the university, as announced by the school's athletic department.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

CBB, no way, do not take him back even if you have to run Speedy Luke at QB.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

Merkin wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 4:50 pm CBB, no way, do not take him back even if you have to run Speedy Luke at QB.
^
This !!!
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

JDL is not going to be able to play football again. There is not a team who will take him because of the protesting. He is known now. I am surprised he wasn't dropped at Arizona. Jedd Fisch didn't care.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

If Jedd would have done the right thing we would have played in a Jan 1 bowl game
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Jedd clinging to JDL and not naming Fifita the starter even when it was apparent to everyone that Noah was far & away our best QB was beyond weird.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

Sorry, but it's not fair for JDL. He has a juvenile misdemeanor charge, and I won't even say on his record, because technically, now that he's an adult, there is no record. Our system is set up to allow kids to make mistakes that don't follow them all the way through adulthood. But that system is now failing JDL.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

AzCatFan2 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:50 am He has a juvenile misdemeanor charge,
Misdemeanor? Sure about that?

https://universitystar.com/24868/sports ... ault-case/

According to the civil case, “Defendants physically overpowered her, with Jayden forcing her to fellate Defendant Kamoi by holding her head from behind and pushing it down towards Defendant Kamoi’s crotch. At the same time, Defendant Jayden then forcibly pulled down Plaintiff’s shorts, bent her over at the waist, and began penetrating Plaintiff from the rear. Plaintiff was sobbing uncontrollably in fear and anger and Defendant Jayden began choking her to gain her cooperation… After Defendant Kamoi ejaculated in her mouth, Defendant Jayden shouted, “It’s my turn.”

Note he was the Hawaii player of the year, and this assault happened on the night of the high school championship game which I am sure had no bearing on the case. He was 17 and could have been tried as an adult.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

AzCatFan2 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:50 am Sorry, but it's not fair for JDL. He has a juvenile misdemeanor charge, and I won't even say on his record, because technically, now that he's an adult, there is no record. Our system is set up to allow kids to make mistakes that don't follow them all the way through adulthood. But that system is now failing JDL.
“The System” does not equal “The People”.

If the people who attend a university don’t want someone to be a part of their community and protest against their inclusion, there’s nothing “the system” can do to mitigate that unless they are being discriminated against because of something they were born with or developed naturally.

Being an accused juvenile rapist does not put JDL into a protected class. Sorry ACF2.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I knew it was bad, but not that bad.

Cause the trauma that young women experienced goes away at 18.

As the dad of three daughters I am sickened and enraged at what I just read.
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

Chicat wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:27 am
AzCatFan2 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:50 am Sorry, but it's not fair for JDL. He has a juvenile misdemeanor charge, and I won't even say on his record, because technically, now that he's an adult, there is no record. Our system is set up to allow kids to make mistakes that don't follow them all the way through adulthood. But that system is now failing JDL.

If the people who attend a university don’t want someone to be a part of their community and protest against their inclusion, there’s nothing “the system” can do to mitigate that unless they are being discriminated against because of something they were born with or developed naturally.

Being an accused juvenile rapist does not put JDL into a protected class. Sorry ACF2.
Last I heard an accused does have rights. Its that innocent until proven guilty thing. JDL states the sex was consensual and as far as I know he never admitted to or was convicted of rape. You know as well as I do that even a small but very vocal minority can get students expelled for merely having a different opinion. JDL should not have been thrown under the bus. I understand he was not expelled, he voluntarily withdrew.
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

CalStateTempe wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:40 am I knew it was bad, but not that bad.

Cause the trauma that young women experienced goes away at 18.

As the dad of three daughters I am sickened and enraged at what I just read.
I have a daughter and a granddaughter and have no use for rapists but my question remains that if it was "that" bad, why wasn't he tried as an adult. I don't believe it was because he was a great high school football player. This was at the peak of the "Me Too" movement. I'm also an adult with an adult perception of the world and I know all women should be listened to but all women don't tell the truth and not all women are pure as the driven snow. I know nothing about the woman involved in this but there is more to this than we'll ever know.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

tgrumpy2 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:40 am JDL states the sex was consensual
Source? I have not read that.

If so, why did he write her a letter of apology? Why did he apologize in text messages to the victim after the assault? Why is he paying her thousands of dollars?
Last edited by Merkin on Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

None of that matters though, in the court of public opinion he is toast
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

tgrumpy2 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:40 am
Chicat wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:27 am

Last I heard an accused does have rights. Its that innocent until proven guilty thing. JDL states the sex was consensual and as far as I know he never admitted to or was convicted of rape. You know as well as I do that even a small but very vocal minority can get students expelled for merely having a different opinion. JDL should not have been thrown under the bus. I understand he was not expelled, he voluntarily withdrew.
The bolded renders the rest of your post irrelevant.

Texas State didn’t kick him out and the courts (“The System”) didn’t either. So what are we talking about here?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

tgrumpy2 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:50 am why wasn't he tried as an adult
I imagine it had to do with 2 other issues.

The first being that she did not report the rape for a month and the only evidence was the text messages.

Secondly, for rape victims, a lot of stigma gets attached to that, along with a lot of people blaming the victim.
tgrumpy2 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:50 am but all women don't tell the truth and not all women are pure as the driven snow.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

70 percent of rapes go unreported. Gee, I wonder why?
-JB
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

tgrumpy2 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:50 am I'm also an adult with an adult perception of the world and I know all women should be listened to but all women don't tell the truth and not all women are pure as the driven snow.
My god dude…
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Oh Jesus... are we really doing this again....
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Alieberman wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:09 am Oh Jesus... are we really doing this again....
No shit.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

Carcassdragger wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:14 am
Alieberman wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:09 am Oh Jesus... are we really doing this again....
No shit.
You're right, I'm done with this. We're never going to know what happened.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Ari beat me do it - didn't we have this long drawn out discussion before?

The point is JDL has left Arizona. How people want to view him and his past and how UofA handled it is totally up to them.

Let's not litigate this all over again.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

Only three people know exactly what happened. Latu, JDL, and the victim. Was it as bad as the victim describes? Possible, but we'll never know, because JDL was charged as a juvenile, and the records were sealed. JDL and Latu could have been charged as adults, but not only were they not, the punishment they agreed to was nothing more than an apology letter. If what the boys did was as bad as described by the victim, why weren't they tried as adults and locked up?

We may never know. But we do know, that as an adult, JDL has a clean record. A drunk driving incident in Pullman had all charges dropped. And two years in Tucson with zero problems. JDL deserves a second chance, but the court of public opinion would have us do what the Hawaii Prosecuting Attorney and Judge did not do; lock JDL up and throw away the key.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

JDL was a important player and an even better teammate at the U of A. That is well-documented fact, and nothing will change that.

If we believe in "BEAR DOWN!!!!" and Arizona Family, we should always acknowledge those facts.
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

AzCatFan2 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:35 pm If what the boys did was as bad as described by the victim, why weren't they tried as adults and locked up?
Are you proffering the idea that sexual assaults in this country are always adjudicated correctly as far as the severity of the incident? Or are you just throwing this out there to blindly defend a guy you liked watching play football? Because either way… whew!
AzCatFan2 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:35 pm JDL deserves a second chance, but the court of public opinion would have us do what the Hawaii Prosecuting Attorney and Judge did not do; lock JDL up and throw away the key.
“We don’t want this guy getting a full scholarship to be the QB for our university’s football team and to be a part of our student body” is way fucking different than imprisoning him for life, but you know that. Hyperbole though is your best option to fight back against what in no way should be your fight to begin with.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

Chicat wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:41 pm
AzCatFan2 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:35 pm If what the boys did was as bad as described by the victim, why weren't they tried as adults and locked up?
Are you proffering the idea that sexual assaults in this country are always adjudicated correctly as far as the severity of the incident? Or are you just throwing this out there to blindly defend a guy you liked watching play football? Because either way… whew!
AzCatFan2 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:35 pm JDL deserves a second chance, but the court of public opinion would have us do what the Hawaii Prosecuting Attorney and Judge did not do; lock JDL up and throw away the key.
“We don’t want this guy getting a full scholarship to be the QB for our university’s football team and to be a part of our student body” is way fucking different than imprisoning him for life, but you know that. Hyperbole though is your best option to fight back against what in no way should be your fight to begin with.
It's not like JDL and Latu wasn't charged. And this happened during the height of the "Me Too" movement. Yet despite the spotlight, the kids got off with less than a wrist slap. It was no time, and an apology letter, despite the fact I doubt anyone would have blinked had they been charged as adults.

As for the court of public opinion, if they had the ability to lock JDL up and throw away the key, they would. But all they can do is protest him getting a full scholarship and try to get him not to be on campus. And while it may not be my fight, I don't like someone getting screwed over, especially by a system that is supposed to protect him, since the incident happened when he was a juvenile.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

AzCatFan2 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:56 pm I don't like someone getting screwed over, especially by a system that is supposed to protect him, since the incident happened when he was a juvenile.
Now do this for the girl that was gang raped....

Jesus Fucking Christ.....
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Alieberman wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 3:27 pm
AzCatFan2 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:56 pm I don't like someone getting screwed over, especially by a system that is supposed to protect him, since the incident happened when he was a juvenile.
Now do this for the girl that was gang raped....

Jesus Fucking Christ.....
Allegedly.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

AzCatFan2 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:56 pm And this happened during the height of the "Me Too" movement.
Was the “Me Too” movement when the enormous backlog of rape kits across the country got processed and all those rapists got caught and prosecuted?

Oh… that didn’t happen?

Then stop fucking saying that like it means a fucking thing.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

Has the victim complained about the lack of punishment the kids received? Or is she unhappy with the civil settlement? If she's fine with both, how did the system not protect her?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

AzCatFan2 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:31 pm Has the victim complained about the lack of punishment the kids received? Or is she unhappy with the civil settlement? If she's fine with both, how did the system not protect her?
They just settled the revised civil suit filed by the victim a week ago.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

It’s a shit sandwich for JDL. For sure.

I don’t think anyone should be punished as an adult once a court has punished a juvenile and the kid completes whatever is required.

That shit is on the court, not the juvenile.
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

If he has done everything asked of him by the courts and by the victim, he needs to be able to get on with his life without people continuing to pile on him.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

If we can be real here, juvenile vs. adult in this case is fairly nebulous. The incident happened when he was a young adult and he is still a young adult. The difference between 17 and 21 is big in some respects and tiny in others.

As for him getting on with his life, he 100% should be able to. But I don’t think that means people should be forced to accept him as one of the most public and prominent members of their community.

If JDL enrolled at Texas State to finish up his degree as a regular student I don’t think you would see protests. I doubt too many people would notice. But he went there as a scholarship QB on their football team. That’s of course going to get a lot of attention.

Personally, I doubt he’ll be playing football for any school. It sucks for him, but he’s gotten years of an education that hopefully he’s close to finishing up. Time to move on.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Wasn't he on pace to graduate in the spring from the UA? I never want to see him in uniform, but maybe he is coming back to finish up his degree. I'm cool with that not that anyone would ask me.

I doubt the NFL will want him, look at that Bills kicker, so get a degree and a job. Although pretty much every major recruiting agency will see his civil court case, and that may affect his desirability as an employee. Ever google a coworker?

And especially cool with his victim getting many thousands of his NIL money. I wonder if HI civil court case resolutions are made public.
CopaCat

Post by CopaCat »

Merkin wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:27 pm
I doubt the NFL will want him, look at that Bills kicker, so get a degree and a job. Although pretty much every major recruiting agency will see his civil court case, and that may affect his desirability as an employee. Ever google a coworker?
It's funny you mention Matt Araiza being such an anti JDL guy. Wouldn't the Araiza case be a perfect example to stop judging guys "accused" of "supposed" crimes? I guess not nowadays. The Internet says never not judge.

Chicat wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:16 pm
Personally, I doubt he’ll be playing football for any school. It sucks for him, but he’s gotten years of an education that hopefully he’s close to finishing up. Time to move on.
I think your wrong. JDL is a decent if not sporadic talent and Liberty might be in the market for a QB.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

He could be a dual threat QB / pool boy at Liberty.
-JB
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

CopaCat wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:52 pm It's funny you mention Matt Araiza being such an anti JDL guy. Wouldn't the Araiza case be a perfect example to stop judging guys "accused" of "supposed" crimes? I guess not nowadays. The Internet says never not judge.
Araiza didn't assault and rape anyone, send any apologizing text messages, nor did he write an apology letter to the victim. He was just at a party when someone was raped, after he had left.

What "supposed" crimes did JDL not do?

You know what JDL never said? "I didn't do it".

Not sure why you think their cases are the same.
UAEebs86 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:05 pm He could be a dual threat QB / pool boy at Liberty.
CopaCat

Post by CopaCat »

Merkin wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:23 pm
CopaCat wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:52 pm It's funny you mention Matt Araiza being such an anti JDL guy. Wouldn't the Araiza case be a perfect example to stop judging guys "accused" of "supposed" crimes? I guess not nowadays. The Internet says never not judge.
Araiza didn't assault and rape anyone, send any apologizing text messages, nor did he write an apology letter to the victim. He was just at a party when someone was raped, after he had left.

What "supposed" crimes did JDL not do?

You know what JDL never said? "I didn't do it".

Not sure why you think their cases are the same.
UAEebs86 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:05 pm He could be a dual threat QB / pool boy at Liberty.
I had an extremely long drawn out monstrosity to counter your personal knowledge of the exact content in those apologies and text messages, but said fuck it. How are we even on this again? Thanks Texas State!