UCLA at Arizona discussion thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

TheCatInTheHat

Re: UCLA at Arizona discussion thread

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

That was the biggee we talked about back in the off-season; just get into a bowl game. Done, and with lots of bonuses. I think we would have been okay with the Arizona Bowl or the Independence Bowl. Any bowl would do. Now we've got a shot at the Holiday Bowl and other options. It also would have sucked to lose a series of games in a row while the pressure to qualify kept building. Now, we just work on improving as a team, enjoying an already successful season, and trying to get the most wins and best bowl possible. Also nice that the last time we play an LA team in football, it's a lop-sided win and a showcase for us. Once again the LA media hypes up the local schools while ignoring everybody else, and once again, they both flop. Plaschke can try to form a lynch mob for USC DC Alex Grinch, while Bolch moves on to basketball season. It's tough to go on the road after playing 5 ranked teams in a row, and we might have a let-down but we certainly should have every reason to think we can win at Boulder.
IrishAzCat

Post by IrishAzCat »

EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

UAEebs86 wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 9:48 am
EastCoastCat wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 11:53 pm Gimme some love boys…

Did you get a another goal post for your fraternity?
The thought did cross my mind for a second but when I realized I would have to jump down from the stands - and probably hurt myself - I thought better of it.

But nothing will take away from what happened 40 years ago... ECC on the right with the red wildcat shoes and the now famous flag pole/goal post.

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

EastCoastCat wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 12:48 pm

The thought did cross my mind for a second but when I realized I would have to jump down from the stands - and probably hurt myself - I thought better of it.

But nothing will take away from what happened 40 years ago... ECC on the right with the red wildcat shoes and the now famous flag pole/goal post.
Awesome ECC. What fraternity is that?
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

tgrumpy2 wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 11:17 am
ASUHATER! wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 5:50 am
MrBug708 wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 5:05 pm I've never heard of a team asking another team to wear different color jerseys for a game so Scheer is definitely right, it's a first.
It literally happens every week in college football
One year during Larry Smith's tenure as coach the team decided to wear traveling jerseys at home for every home game. Every visiting team had to bring their home jerseys. Smith didn't ask anyone if he could do it, he just did it. I do believe this was a planned scheme to screw with ASU. The last game of the season against our little buddies up the road was a night game. Sometime during the afternoon Smith decided to change and wear home jerseys and since ASU was in route they did not get the word. ASU had to borrow white practice jerseys from us. Yes that really did happen. We did win the game even though ASU was a pretty heavy favorite. Larry Smith made ASU his bitch.

grumpy,

I don't think it happened the way you are describing. In the 1982 game we wore white - maybe they had to quick get someone to drive their home jerseys down from Tempe because Smith didn't give them enough notice? But they are not wearing UofA practice jerseys. As I remember, we had some great road upsets in white (like Notre Dame) so the team liked wearing them at home as well.

Here are pics from every UofA game against ASU since 1975:

Home games against ASU during the Smith era were 1980, 1982, 1984 (no players shown), 1986.
https://tucson.com/news/retrotucson/pho ... or_item_11

I haven't been able to find pics from 1984, but here's a video of a bunch of ASU games and in the 1984 clip it looks like ASU has their regular road jerseys:

https://allsportstucson.com/2017/08/03/ ... st-stretch
-JB
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

IrishAzCat wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 12:29 pm Image
:lol:

Someone mentioned during the in-game thread he looked like he was heading towards the buffet table.
IrishAzCat

Post by IrishAzCat »

Merkin wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 1:19 pm
IrishAzCat wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 12:29 pm Image
:lol:

Someone mentioned during the in-game thread he looked like he was heading towards the buffet table.
Hahahaa - that is where I got the idea - cerec_cat wrote it...
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

UAEebs86 wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 12:52 pm

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

^^^ I've walked past there many times going to softball games - had no clue that was the goal post from 1983.

Going to take a picture next time I'm there.
-JB
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

MrBug708 wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 5:29 pm
PHXCATS wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 5:22 pm
MrBug708 wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 5:05 pm I've never heard of a team asking another team to wear different color jerseys for a game so Scheer is definitely right, it's a first.
What happens with ucla and usc then? I thought the lose a timeout thing went away a while ago
USC doesn't ask UCLA to wear blue and UCLA doesn't ask USC to wear red in order to facilitate their own jersey switch. Arizona has to ask because UCLA's designated road jersey is white. I'm assuming someone in the Arizona AD announced a whiteout before finding out that UCLA wears whites on the road.
No they were asking for some courtesy which is given all the time. Most conference other than the PAC allow the home team to decide what color jerseys they use. A little extra motivation I guess.
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

UAEebs86 wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 12:52 pm

https://allsportstucson.com/2017/08/26/ ... he-streak/

Some of this article is wrong. I do know that Arizona was wearing white jerseys for home games all season. That is why ASU showed up with maroon jerseys. I know the scum devils were offered white practice jerseys to wear when Arizona at the last minute decided to wear the regular home jerseys. The devils were blitzing fools that year on defense and Tom Tunnicliff exploited it. Also on two occasions ASU was deep in its own territory like 2 yd line deep and the ASU coach (Daryl Rogers) called draw plays twice and was stuffed for safeties. I was at that game.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

tgrumpy2 wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 4:15 pm

Some of this article is wrong. I do know that Arizona was wearing white jerseys for home games all season. That is why ASU showed up with maroon jerseys. I know the scum devils were offered white practice jerseys to wear when Arizona at the last minute decided to wear the regular home jerseys. The devils were blitzing fools that year on defense and Tom Tunnicliff exploited it. Also on two occasions ASU was deep in its own territory like 2 yd line deep and the ASU coach (Daryl Rogers) called draw plays twice and was stuffed for safeties. I was at that game.
>>>> tgrumpy2>>> Sometime during the afternoon Smith decided to change and wear home jerseys and since ASU was in route they did not get the word. ASU had to borrow white practice jerseys from us.

You said they borrowed white jerseys from us. Are you now saying we offered white jerseys, and they turned them down, so we went back to wearing white? That is completely different from what you posted. You can see in the picture they are wearing maroon and we are wearing white.
-JB
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

UAEebs86 wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 4:25 pm

>>>> tgrumpy2>>> Sometime during the afternoon Smith decided to change and wear home jerseys and since ASU was in route they did not get the word. ASU had to borrow white practice jerseys from us.

You said they borrowed white jerseys from us. Are you now saying we offered white jerseys, and they turned them down, so we went back to wearing white? That is completely different from what you posted. You can see in the picture they are wearing maroon and we are wearing white.
In the chaos that followed I believe Smith backed down and allowed ASU to wear their maroon jerseys. I do know they didn't take Smith up on his offer. Smith did it just to screw with the Sun Devils, Somewhere in all this the point I was trying to make got lost and that's my fault. I was commenting on asking permission about jerseys. It is the home teams choice as long as they inform their opponent in a timely manner. I just happen to like the other part of the story because I know Larry Smith really disliked Tempe and over the next five years they were his bitch.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

For the umpteenth time I just watched another highlight video and saw something I hadn't noticed before. The UCLA QB got rushed and taken down hard. He was a bit shaken up. First player to him checking on him and helping him up was Manu. I love this shit.

We've got a bunch of fire breathers who are also high character guys. Frigging GREAT
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Wasn’t there some weird reason Hunley had a broken thumb?
Like he got into a fight with a teammate in the locker room?
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

tgrumpy2 wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 4:35 pm
UAEebs86 wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 4:25 pm

In the chaos that followed I believe Smith backed down and allowed ASU to wear their maroon jerseys. I do know they didn't take Smith up on his offer. Smith did it just to screw with the Sun Devils, Somewhere in all this the point I was trying to make got lost and that's my fault. I was commenting on asking permission about jerseys. It is the home teams choice as long as they inform their opponent in a timely manner. I just happen to like the other part of the story because I know Larry Smith really disliked Tempe and over the next five years they were his bitch.
It is not the home teams choice in the PAC. Most conferences it is.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Just to clear things up, the rules for jersey colors right out of the NCAA handbook:

https://taso.org/wp-content/uploads/202 ... e-Book.pdf

RULE 1 / The Game, Field, Players and Equipment FR-23
b. Color.
1. Players of opposing teams shall wear jerseys of contrasting colors.
Players on the same team shall wear jerseys of the same color and
design.
2. The visiting team shall wear white jerseys; however, the home team
may wear white jerseys if the teams have agreed in writing before the
season.

3. If the home team wears colored jerseys, the visiting team may also wear
colored jerseys, if and only if the following two conditions have been
satisfied
a. The home team has agreed in writing prior to the game; and
b. The conference of the home team certifies that the jersey of the
visiting team is of a contrasting color.
4. If on the kickoff at the start of each half, the visiting team wears a
colored jersey in violation of the conditions specified in paragraph 3,
it is a foul for unsportsmanlike conduct.