Irish27

Re: Who should replace Fisch?

Post by Irish27 »

This is interesting.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I said it before Shereen. Great minds, etc…
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Chi did, and I concurred!

Pete would be a homerun hire with Brennan in the wings. Pete is one of the few coaches that could retain a good chunk of players.

We all know that a lot of player wanted to play for Fisch due to his NFL background.
Robert A Booey

Post by Robert A Booey »

Kevin Sumlin is available.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

There's no way Pete Carrol would be interested.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Last edited by azgreg on Sun Jan 14, 2024 4:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

I said we should hire Pete as DC the day he got fired.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Who has no head coaching experience?
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

I'm still waiting for someone to bring up Dino Babers. Someone always does.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

We need someone who won’t shit the bed… but can’t be too good that they get poached in a couple years.

Who could get us to a shitty bowl game every year?
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

We need another down-trending, over-the-hill retread…

… likely to stay longer!
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azgreg wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 3:34 pm There's no way Pete Carrol would be interested.
He has said that he still has the energy to coach and still wants to. Perfect caretaker position for Pete, just a year or two contract since he is 72 and get Brennan some OC experience by letting him call plays.
tgrumpy2 wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 4:13 pm I'm still waiting for someone to bring up Dino Babers. Someone always does.
Chuck Cecil! Ricky Hunley!

A couple of lifelong position coaches, outside of one year for Cecil at DC which was a disaster.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

The likelihood of the hire is inverse to our approval of the guy.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

No doubt Fisch strung out the contract thing and took the $9M/year in hand now versus hoping for Florida next year. For him strategically correct. While here, he said all the right things like any politician, but we were never going to keep him long-term. So we move on a year early. So be it. Too often, a college administration responds to an angry fan base with some opposite of the last coach, which is not a good plan. Tomey wasn't the disciplinarian or passing coach some wanted...so we wound up with John Mackovic. We tried for the up-and-comer at a bargain with the inexperienced Stoops. Then Byrne brought in RichRod, who wasn't terrible, before Robbins pushed Sumlin, for whatever reason. So, while Fisch laid out a perfect template for Arizona football, the temptation might be to go with a more simplistic Joe College type who you hope is all about ivy covered walls of academia and who won't be a mercenary. While landing somebody for the Fisch template replacement may be impossible, I'm also skeptical about finding a competent and endlessly loyal Joe College. That said, unless we can get somebody with serious coordinator experience in college and/or pro who will double as head coach and fairly brilliant offensive coordinator, I'd go with an experienced, but youngish (so not bridging to retirement) college head coach, which sounds like Brennan.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Most of us were in forBrennan 3 years ago.
Still wouldn’t mind Carroll and Carroll
Not feeling Frost
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Ken N. anybody? Too soon?

We can run the tripple option like Khalil Tate said.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

"Bend Over and Bear Down!"
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

Brennan Carroll should have the necessary connections. Could do a lot worse.
arizonawildcats

Post by arizonawildcats »

Brennan Carroll has my vote.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Mike McCarthy might be available…
Macho Grande

Post by Macho Grande »

azgreg wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 3:51 pm
GJ Kinne is the most intriguing name on that list. Went to the UTSA vs Texas State game earlier this year with my nephew. The energy on the Texas state sideline off the charts. The Players and their fans were pumped, and kept that energy throughout the game. You could see that Kinne had built a great culture there in a short time there.

Come to think of it, hiring UTSA coach Jeff Traylor wouldn't make me upset either. That would be a well established Texas pipeline.
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

EastCoastCat wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 5:53 pm Mike McCarthy might be available…
ewwwwwwwww
arizonawildcats

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Don’t do that.

Not that my Carroll idea is based on any different logic.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Alieberman wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 4:17 pm We need someone who won’t shit the bed… but can’t be too good that they get poached in a couple years.

Who could get us to a shitty bowl game every year?
Yeah at this point we just need someone who will have us be 8-5 every year then we'll always go bowling but never lose our coach but we'd never win anything
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

I heard Nick Saban is available, he's the one that started all this.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

IF

IF

IF you can keep almost everyone you go for broke this year and do what the players want. If not you go Odom.

Seriously though Pete Carrol for 3 years then his son in waiting
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
arizonawildcats

STATEMENT FROM ARIZONA VICE PRESIDENT & DIRECTOR OF ATHLETICS DAVE HEEKE

"I want to thank Coach Fisch for his tireless work and relentless dedication to rebuilding Arizona Football into a point of pride for the entire Wildcat Family. While we did not want to see Coach Fisch leave and made every effort to retain him by continuing our investment in the football program, we wish him the best as he begins a new chapter in his career.

As for next steps, we have a shared vision for the program and our student-athletes. Arizona Football is well positioned for future success and championship excellence, and I am confident we will attract a new leader who will continue the positive trajectory of our nationally ranked football program. The national search for a new head coach is already underway, and I will refrain from any public comments until our next head coach is announced." - Arizona Vice President & Director of Athletics Dave Heeke

https://arizonawildcats.com/news/2024/1 ... heeke.aspx
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

arizonawildcats wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 7:11 pm STATEMENT FROM ARIZONA VICE PRESIDENT & DIRECTOR OF ATHLETICS DAVE HEEKE

"I want to thank Coach Fisch for his tireless work and relentless dedication to rebuilding Arizona Football into a point of pride for the entire Wildcat Family. While we did not want to see Coach Fisch leave and made every effort to retain him by continuing our investment in the football program, we wish him the best as he begins a new chapter in his career.

As for next steps, we have a shared vision for the program and our student-athletes. Arizona Football is well positioned for future success and championship excellence, and I am confident we will attract a new leader who will continue the positive trajectory of our nationally ranked football program. The national search for a new head coach is already underway, and I will refrain from any public comments until our next head coach is announced." - Arizona Vice President & Director of Athletics Dave Heeke

https://arizonawildcats.com/news/2024/1/nd 14/football-message-from-arizona-ad-dave-heeke.aspx
Yeah, whatever. I just don't see the point of following this abortion of a football program anymore.

I'm the guy at work and amongst friends that everybody knows bleeds Arizona football red and blue. I've followed this program since 1981 and stuck with them through periods of mediocrity interspersed with terms of just laughable incompetence. And now, finally when we have a great season and are looking at a good chance of winning our new conference, we get the carpet pulled out from under us.

Fuck this program. Beardown while it's stuck up our ass.

I'm fucking done.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
CopaCat

Post by CopaCat »

I would be ok with Nansen. At least we wouldn't completely suck next year. Carroll makes way more sense in every other way IMO. To bad we can't make Carroll and Nansen Co- Head Coaches and pay both 3 mil per. That way when assholes with money start sniffing around they won't know which one to hire.
ProfessorFate

Post by ProfessorFate »

Carcassdragger wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 7:22 pm
arizonawildcats wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 7:11 pm STATEMENT FROM ARIZONA VICE PRESIDENT & DIRECTOR OF ATHLETICS DAVE HEEKE

https://arizonawildcats.com/news/2024/1/nd 14/football-message-from-arizona-ad-dave-heeke.aspx
Yeah, whatever. I just don't see the point of following this abortion of a football program anymore.

I'm the guy at work and amongst friends that everybody knows bleeds Arizona football red and blue. I've followed this program since 1981 and stuck with them through periods of mediocrity interspersed with terms of just laughable incompetence. And now, finally when we have a great season and are looking at a good chance of winning our new conference, we get the carpet pulled out from under us.

I'm fucking done.
I was right there with you until you said fuck the program. It's not the program's fault. You should have said fuck Fisch. He's the one that's been blowing smoke up our ass.
2023 Football RAP Champion
2022 Mark Schlabach Memorial Bracket Champion
2017 Bear Down Wildcats Survival Pool Champion
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Losers gonna keep losing

This is when fans and boosters are most needed

Wanna cry like a baby go ahead and stay away
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

There’s only 1 person here who could turn this into a negative on the fans…
CopaCat

Post by CopaCat »

ProfessorFate wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 7:42 pm

I'm fucking done.
I was right there with you until you said fuck the program. It's not the program's fault. You should have said fuck Fisch. He's the one that's been blowing smoke up our ass.
He is just where I am at.... extremely exhausted continuing to care. We all know the Big 12 will probably just end up another feeder football conference for the eventual Big 2. That is on the assumption nothing is done to stop the current trajectory of college athletics and the lethal injection of Corporate poison. If consolidation continues why even care? I am sure someday there will be a 2nd tier division with a 2nd tier championship to keep those 2nd tier fans interested, but I think we all know many won't care, including myself(nor should they).

I was really hoping Fisch was a rare breed who didn't care about money and instead wanted the legacy of building a fresh program from scratch(which would eventually lead to much more money and nicer weather). Nope. Problem is no coach wants that anymore. Money and an established recruitable brand matters more because it's easier and more lucrative, even if they fail. All about the Benji's.
Robert A Booey

Post by Robert A Booey »

I like Nansen for the new coach after how much he improved our defense.
ProfessorFate

Post by ProfessorFate »

CopaCat wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:18 pm
ProfessorFate wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 7:42 pm

I'm fucking done.
He is just where I am at.... extremely exhausted continuing to care. We all know the Big 12 will probably just end up another feeder football conference for the eventual Big 2. That is on the assumption nothing is done to stop the current trajectory of college athletics and the lethal injection of Corporate poison. If consolidation continues why even care? I am sure someday there will be a 2nd tier division with a 2nd tier championship to keep those 2nd tier fans interested, but I think we all know many won't care, including myself(nor should they).

I was really hoping Fisch was a rare breed who didn't care about money and instead wanted the legacy of building a fresh program from scratch(which would eventually lead to much more money and nicer weather). Nope. Problem is no coach wants that anymore. Money and an established recruitable brand matters more because it's easier and more lucrative, even if they fail. All about the Benji's.
Calling out the trajectory of college football is one thing - and something most of us agree with. Calling our program an abortion because a hypocrite fucked us in the ass is something else.

I'm just fucking pissed. I was gonna go on a rant but I'm just gonna call it a day and see if the sun comes up tomorrow.
2023 Football RAP Champion
2022 Mark Schlabach Memorial Bracket Champion
2017 Bear Down Wildcats Survival Pool Champion
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Pete Carroll?
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

https://arizonawildcats.com/news/2024/1 ... heeke.aspx
Dave isn’t going to say anything because he won’t know who the coach is until the rest of us do.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Would nancen even consider leaving TX?
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

Promote Brennan Carroll to HC and Dougherty to offensive coordinator. You maintain continuity with recruiting and the system. Promote Kafusi to Defensive coordinator, he served in that capacity at Weber State and has coached all different aspect of the defense. With Kafusi you maintain that polynesian connection and keep Nansen from pirating him off to Texas. Again you maintain consistency in your system and recruiting. Keeping all the assistant coaches will help keep all those good players from leaving as well. I see that Mr Akina wasted no time unassing Arizona.
Robert A Booey

Post by Robert A Booey »

Postmaster wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 9:41 pm Would nancen even consider leaving TX?
I would think so, for a Power 4 head coaching position.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

We'll continue to be a stepping stone until we can offer more money to coaches and players. PERIOD. To have that kind of money we need more powerful/generous boosters, a more-ardent fan base that buys season tix,travels, and contributes to NIL collaboratives, and a more effective and innovative school administration that can grow the exposure of the school.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

No matter who Arizona replaces Fisch with, they'll be replacing him in 3-4 years, guaranteed...

... the only variable will it be for "good" reasons (left for bigger job), or "bad" reasons (he's a loser).

― Kinky Friedman
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

What about Barry Odom from UNLV or Justin Wilcox from Cal?

Odom has SEC experience where, IMO, he was prematurely fired at Missouri. He's since had a great first year with UNLV.

Wilcox knows the West and its recruiting well and, having hit his ceiling at a limited Cal program, will appreciate a new coaching life.

Both cut their coaching teeth on the defensive side of the ball. And if it goes well, both are the type to stabilize the program, which Arizona badly needs given its thin margins for success.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »