Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Alieberman

Arizona Head Coach Brent Brennan

Post by Alieberman »

Chicat

Re: Arizona Head Coach Brent Brennan

Post by Chicat »

Here we go….

Now hurry up and fill out your staff. Sounds like that will go a long way toward figuring out how much if the roster stays intact.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

arizonawildcats

Post by arizonawildcats »

AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

I have a coworker who has a son who was a 2* Oline from Scottsdale who signed with SJSU with Brennan a few years ago. Injuries kept him from significant play time, but he did recently graduate with a CompSci degree. My coworker, also a scholarship athlete back in her day, loves Brennan. The kids had offers from SDSU and Boise St. but went to SJSU because he's a tech kid who fell in love with Silicon Valley and Brennan. Only coach he felt actually understood there is more to life than football.

Brennan got his coaching start under Tomey, and may be the closest thing to Tomey we could have hired. He's a true player's coach and the kids will run through walls for him. The only question is can he attract enough talent to Tucson to win? Want a guy to be a leader of young men and guide them through some formative years, then Brennan is your guy. Want a guy to win enough football games to get into the playoffs? I guess time will tell if Brennan is that guy.
IrishAzCat

Post by IrishAzCat »

Hopefully this works out...
TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

Just for shits and giggles, here's Brad Brennan (Brent's brother) with one of his 2 receptions for 78 yards and a TD against Nebraska in the 1998 Holiday Bowl victory. As the story goes, Brad is the one who convinced Brent to come to Tucson, and then he became a graduate assistant for Coach Tomey.

Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Sheepishly sneaking back in here. Holy shit what a bad few days.

Brennen needs to follow some of the template Fisch created:

1. Court and keep the football alumni onbard. JF used this to great advantage.
2. Keep the existing team together as much as possible. He should be meeting with team leaders right NOW! ... and with the rest of the team as soon as humanly possible. Keep Noah, Tetoira, Manu, Burnett, our DBs, and our O and D linemen as much as possible.
3. RECRUITING RECRUITING RECRUITING. meet with the existing signees ASAP and get after others.
4. Portal. Get Jonah and Prysock back if possible.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Deleting Capt Duche's post.

This thread is about our current head coach.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Hopefully Cecil and Hunley can get positions since Fisch abandoned them both.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Welcome Coach Brennan
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

Welcome home.
Captain Obvious

Post by Captain Obvious »

Basically Stoops 2.0 minus the clown show sideline theatrics. With Brenan you're getting a decent vanilla coach on a budget. Don't expect 10 win seasons but I could see 6 to 7 wins a year. Consistent mediocrity is most likely the future of the program. Historically the standard with Arizona football. Not good, not bad.
VegasCatFan

Post by VegasCatFan »

Hope he gets introduced to the fans at McKale tomorrow. And perhaps some of the football players could join him.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

VegasCatFan wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:12 pm Hope he gets introduced to the fans at McKale tomorrow. And perhaps some of the football players could join him.
He will
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

PHXCATS wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:19 pm
VegasCatFan wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:12 pm Hope he gets introduced to the fans at McKale tomorrow. And perhaps some of the football players could join him.
He will
Yep... And I'll be there too!
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Good luck CBB!
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

I hope he ends up being the right guy, but I'm not convinced. Not a great w/l record and unsure about him being able to convince the higher-rated recruits to come here. The next 30 days will be the critical period:

1. Can he retain all/most of our best / most needed players?
2. Can he conving our current transfer portal guys to come back?
3. Can he keep / improve the current recruiting class?
4. Can he assemble a kickass staff?

I hope I'm wrong, but he just doesn't seem like "the guy" to me. "Family" is all and good, but it doesn't put Ws on the scoreboard.

Welcome, Coach BB, wishing you all the best.
arizonawildcats

CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Does she have allergies?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

CalStateTempe wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:16 pm Does she have allergies?
Rumor has it Fisch's wife hated Tucson.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Has there been an introductory presser yet?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

UAEebs86 wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:22 pm
Always a possibility. I mean, Seattle is a much more desirable place to live than Tucson, imo.

I think it's different if we're talking about basketball, though, because in that sport we are a truly elite program with a storied history. It's much harder to sell a football coach on staying in little ole Tucson for a long period of time, unless that coach has ties to the school. As Brennan does.
arizonawildcats

Carcassdragger wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:37 pm Has there been an introductory presser yet?
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Well it sounds like he's getting the job done so far. If he can keep as many people as possible we'll be off to a good start in the Big 12.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
LuteIsGod

Post by LuteIsGod »

Fuck anyone who dislikes Tucson….you have the Fineline for after hours dancing. You have the best Mexican food and salsa at Sanchez Burrito Company. Zachary’s makes better deep dish than Chicago joints. You can get your frat douche apparel at the Landmark. The Kon Tiki has free finger foods to go along with a Scorpion Bowl.
I will see you there, or I will see you on another time
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

LuteIsGod wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:19 pm
Fuck anyone who dislikes Tucson….you have the Fineline for after hours dancing. You have the best Mexican food and salsa at Sanchez Burrito Company. Zachary’s makes better deep dish than Chicago joints. You can get your frat douche apparel at the Landmark. The Kon Tiki has free finger foods to go along with a Scorpion Bowl.

Kon Tiki is still open. I went there a couple years ago and had a Scorpion. They haven't cleaned the carpets since the 70's.

Don't get me started about Sanchez - I will start to cry.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

I don’t know of the Landmark, what/where was that.
1stNGrant Frys

Post by 1stNGrant Frys »

not to disagree, but unless i just went in a time machine, i believe other than Kon tiki most of these places have been gone (and replaced) for many many many years.
cerec_cat

Post by cerec_cat »

Took my wife and kids to Kon Tiki a couple of years ago. Boy the memories of that place. Sure miss Greasy Tony's and the Green Dolphin though.
LuteIsGod

Post by LuteIsGod »

Postmaster wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:10 pm I don’t know of the Landmark, what/where was that.
The building/house behind Frog N Firkin
LuteIsGod

Post by LuteIsGod »

1stNGrant Frys wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:37 am
not to disagree, but unless i just went in a time machine, i believe other than Kon tiki most of these places have been gone (and replaced) for many many many years.
You’re correct! My ridiculous response is more of a call to arms….some of those places (Sanchez and Zach’s) need to be resurrected. Who here can cook and has the business acumen to bring these places back with a vengeance!?!?!

Also, fuck anyone who dislikes Tucson!
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

I thought the Landmark was on the corner and it’s now Illegal Pete’s.
gouacats

Post by gouacats »

wyo-cat wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:48 am I thought the Landmark was on the corner and it’s now Illegal Pete’s.
I think that one was called Franklins.

Also, Zach's had amazing pizza and great beer before you could get great beer just about everywhere!
1stNGrant Frys

Post by 1stNGrant Frys »

wyo-cat wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:48 am I thought the Landmark was on the corner and it’s now Illegal Pete’s.
i don't recall ever seeing anyone in Landmark, or know anyone who ever bought anything.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

In many ways I feel like this hire was made for the wrong reasons (some of which I myself subscribed to) but my hope is that it works out because of the responsibility factor Coach Brennan mentions.

Maybe having a coach with so much history and ties to the program will inspire him to hire and recruit with both short term and long term success at top of mind. And hopefully that shows up on the field. This program maybe needs someone not just driven by personal ambition but with an overwhelming love for the school & community.

I’ve seen a few people predict this next regime will lead us to 6, 7, 8 wins yearly, and in their minds that’s a bad thing. In mine, that’s fine. In fact, that’s way better than fine. Winning seasons with the occasional truly good year thrown in (a la Tomey) would be a nice change from the rollercoaster we’ve been on recently. I don’t want to see us back at the depths we saw with Mackovic and Sumlin and I feel like a guy like Brennan who maybe actually does bleed Red & Blue won’t let that happen.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
arizonawildcats

tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

cerec_cat wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:43 am Took my wife and kids to Kon Tiki a couple of years ago. Boy the memories of that place. Sure miss Greasy Tony's and the Green Dolphin though.
I loved those two places. Green Dolphin was there when I was a student and very lax on carding students.
TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

I honestly don't recall if I was more of a Brennan or a Fisch lean three years ago. For Fisch, the NFL stuff sounded good, but you knew he was a short-term mercenary, while Brennan was not sexy, but was the safer and more traditional pick. It seemed like a coin-flip then. It's possible that Fisch's skill set enabled him to rebuild the roster faster than Brennan could have, just as it's possible Brennan is a better choice as a long-term fit, in which case we got the best of both worlds.

On another topic, having moved out of state, I rarely read the Republic anymore, but I was curious for any info during the search process. Unsurprisingly, the only thing they had was their troll columnist taking the embarrassing step of elevating anonymous internet rivals' random negative posts into a 130-year-old newspaper. There is a noticeable dismay among some ASU types when the Wildcats do well (top 12 in both majors) while they're not (no votes in either), when we weather a storm they hoped would be ruinous (coaching change), and when we're happy and optimistic while they're not. It's like, if we can't be happy, then you can't either, and we're going to try to bring you down to our level. There are identified categories for these kinds of behaviors, but suffice it to say they violate the Speed Stick credo of "never let them see you sweat."
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

tgrumpy2 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:50 am
cerec_cat wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:43 am Took my wife and kids to Kon Tiki a couple of years ago. Boy the memories of that place. Sure miss Greasy Tony's and the Green Dolphin though.
I loved those two places. Green Dolphin was there when I was a student and very lax on carding students.
Only thing I remember about the Green Dolphin was the cheap diner style booths, and cheap beer.

My youngest sister and her hubby still go to the Kon Tiki all the time for happy hour when they don't feel like making dinner.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

84Cat wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:57 am
I want to see this entire meeting. Hell,
Deion's first meeting with his players was posted in its entirety ad nauseum.

I'd also love to see the video of Fisch's last meeting with our guys.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Good to see many of the worst UA fans (all of which have the same twitter/x header photo by the way) have gone to accepting and being excited for Brennan after crying and cussing all night Sunday and Monday during the day
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Sausage Deli! Don't know about any other places listed except the Green Dolphin. They must've been after my time.

In 4 years, I only went to the Green Dolphin once or twice. Too much of a frat douche hangout.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Beachcat97 wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:38 pm
Always a possibility. I mean, Seattle is a much more desirable place to live than Tucson, imo.

I think it's different if we're talking about basketball, though, because in that sport we are a truly elite program with a storied history. It's much harder to sell a football coach on staying in little ole Tucson for a long period of time, unless that coach has ties to the school. As Brennan does.
Saying Seattle is much more desirable is quite a stretch. Being in a blue state maybe? But Tucson is a amazing place to live and it isn't "little ole". It's a metro area of over 1 million. Not some Podunk town
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Merkin wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:53 pm Hopefully Cecil and Hunley can get positions since Fisch abandoned them both.
Let them be analysts and not coaches please.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

Talked to my coworker who had a kid play for Brennan at SJSU, and she's over-the-moon happy for Coach. Says he deserves a shot at a bigger program, and with the facilities plus budget he had at SJSU, they had no business being competitive. But they were, and had 3 winning seasons the last four years.

Said Brennan likes to work the kids real hard, but also likes to play hard too as a reward. Most of the kids love it, and Brennan quickly earns their respect. It's also all about team. There are no stars, and from 1-100+, all kids on the team are equally important.

I would imagine there are some starts in the NIL world that won't like being treated the same as everyone else. But if you can get a good group of talented players to buy in, we should be competitive year after year. And occasionally, we might even compete for a playoff spot? Sounds very Tomey-like to me.
cerec_cat

Post by cerec_cat »

tgrumpy2 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:50 am
I got myself and 6 of my high school buddies in with the same fake id.