Arizona Head Coach Brent Brennan

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

cerec_cat

Re: Arizona Head Coach Brent Brennan

Post by cerec_cat »

Didn’t he give a great eulogy at Tomey’s funeral?
arizonawildcats

Post by arizonawildcats »

PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

cerec_cat wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:53 pm Didn’t he give a great eulogy at Tomey’s funeral?
Yes
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
arizonawildcats

84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

arizonawildcats

Brad Brennan was there, too.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

84Cat wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:09 pm
These kids just keep bringing joy. Outstanding!!!
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
CopaCat

Post by CopaCat »

Dey gone. Only a Hail Mary for Nansen can save us IMO. Just feel this is a big public spectacle by UofA to give the fans some kind of hope, but the big let down is coming. Didn't realize Fisch reeled in Cummings today. He pulled the entire staff other than Nansen at Texas(wouldn't be shocked to see Nansen go there next actually). Just being real. Do we have 1.5-2 mil laying around to pay Nansen to save the day? The Cummings thing has me down big time.

God I hope these kids want to create their own legacy and not have Fisch dictate theirs.

I also want this University to invest more than 4.3 million into the salary Pool for assistants. We are behind the 8 ball big time there. Utah spent 7.1 million on their assistant Pool in 2023. Utah should not be able to spend that much more than UofA. We just need sustained success in football like Whittingham has brought to the Utes or else we screwed.
ALASKACAT

Post by ALASKACAT »

I feel for the players. They have to learn a new offensive and defensive system.
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

CopaCat wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:48 pm Dey gone. Only a Hail Mary for Nansen can save us IMO. Just feel this is a big public spectacle by UofA to give the fans some kind of hope, but the big let down is coming. Didn't realize Fisch reeled in Cummings today. He pulled the entire staff other than Nansen at Texas(wouldn't be shocked to see Nansen go there next actually). Just being real. Do we have 1.5-2 mil laying around to pay Nansen to save the day? The Cummings thing has me down big time.

God I hope these kids want to create their own legacy and not have Fisch dictate theirs.

I also want this University to invest more than 4.3 million into the salary Pool for assistants. We are behind the 8 ball big time there. Utah spent 7.1 million on their assistant Pool in 2023. Utah should not be able to spend that much more than UofA. We just need sustained success in football like Whittingham has brought to the Utes or else we screwed.
Lol in what world is Nansen leaving Texas to join Fisch?

As far as the kids at the game, maybe it was all smoke and mirrors. But they also got some more face time with Brennan and plenty of face time with Humberto Lopez, including Coleman.
CopaCat

Post by CopaCat »

ALASKACAT wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:00 pm I feel for the players. They have to learn a new offensive and defensive system.
The system situation is why I am worried. Players can adapt, but always prefer certain systems. In the transfer era that is a big issue. Familiarity with system is a huge reason guys leave. Is Brennan going to run a system or hire a coordinator that runs a system that these guys are good with? We must get Nansen at all costs IMO. Unless we literally have the best group of young football human beings on the planet that believe any obstacle is achievable in spite of situation.
CopaCat

Post by CopaCat »

Fishclamps wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:21 pm
CopaCat wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:48 pm Dey gone. Only a Hail Mary for Nansen can save us IMO. Just feel this is a big public spectacle by UofA to give the fans some kind of hope, but the big let down is coming. Didn't realize Fisch reeled in Cummings today. He pulled the entire staff other than Nansen at Texas(wouldn't be shocked to see Nansen go there next actually). Just being real. Do we have 1.5-2 mil laying around to pay Nansen to save the day? The Cummings thing has me down big time.

Lol in what world is Nansen leaving Texas to join Fisch?

As far as the kids at the game, maybe it was all smoke and mirrors. But they also got some more face time with Brennan and plenty of face time with Humberto Lopez, including Coleman.
Yeah I have read about the supposed discontent between Fisch and Nansen, but I don't believe it. I think Nansen merely left to be with his buddy Sark, coach at a prestigious Football school, and get paid more than a mere $750K to do so. Not sure what Texas is paying but I would bet if Washington rolled in with the brinks truck he might consider it(and they can).

Also, I am not sure old rich boosters are really going to persuade these young men to stay. As matter of fact that looks like a major sign of desperation to me.

I guess we could get lucky. Players enter the portal, Fisch takes them to a Huskies BBall game, and they all go wtf is this crap fan support and come back.

With all of that said, boy do I hope I am a jump the gun, overly emotional POS, who is dead wrong!
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

CBSB was a bargain!! (And, he's not gonna get poached by a Big-12 school...)

https://www.kold.com/2024/01/17/univers ... DQB7D-uYqc
TUCSON, Ariz. (13 News) - The University of Arizona released the contract of Wildcats’ head football coach Brent Brennan on Wednesday, Jan. 17, the same day as he was introduced to the community.

The contract must still be approved by the Arizona Board of Regents, which meets next month.

A copy of the contract can be found below.

The University agreed to pay $1,000,000 to San Jose State University to satisfy the buyout settlement.

The contract includes the following base salary:

$2,200,000 for year one
$2,400,000 for year two
$2,600,000 for year three
$2,800,000 for year four
$3,000,000 for year five

The contract also includes additional compensation for participating in fundraising events, promotional events and speaking engagements.

Brennan can earn incentives based on the success of the team and academic achievements of his players.

The contract also includes a non-compete clause, meaning for “one year after termination of the agreement by coach, coach will not perform services as a football coach (head coach or assistant coach) or football consultant for any other university in Big 12 Conference.”

Be sure to subscribe to the 13 News YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/@13newskold
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

Regarding recruiting. As noted earlier, he almost sounded like he thinks he has a pat hand going into spring ball. But, we keep bleeding players into the portal. Right now we're hurting for CBs and for a big RB, at a minimum. I realize the portal's mostly closed, but to steal a line from The Princess Bride, there's a big difference between mostly closed and all closed. I doubt we can land anybody leaving UW or Bama, but I hope Brennan doesn't have any more self-limitation on inviting San Jose players to join him than he should with his old coaching staff, and that's certainly what Fisch is doing. We're not talking about any MWC linemen at this point, but I assume they have a few RB/DB types that could help with depth.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

TheCatInTheHat wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:54 am but I hope Brennan doesn't have any more self-limitation on inviting San Jose players to join him
SJSU does have some transfer from big schools.

QB from Nebraska, S from Texas, and a RB from Georgia.

Also a highly rated TE incoming freshman.

https://www.on3.com/college/san-jose-st ... n-commits/
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

This has to be a good sign…
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Sounds like Bobby Wade for receivers coach…

https://twitter.com/bmarcello/status/17 ... 5112742077
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

That doesn’t flip my switch at all. Never coached and never recruited. Am I missing something other than he is an alumni
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

azcat49 wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 9:07 am That doesn’t flip my switch at all. Never coached and never recruited. Am I missing something other than he is an alumni
One thing about alumni: They might be great for recruiting. I'm sure good recruiting requires long hours and total commitment. Who better to communicate what a special place Tucson is?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

azcat49 wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 9:07 am That doesn’t flip my switch at all. Never coached and never recruited. Am I missing something other than he is an alumni
From his assu bio:

https://thesundevils.com/sports/footbal ... y-wade/265

After joining ASU in 2019, Wade moved into a graduate assistant position in 2021, mainly working with wide receivers before being elevated to wide receivers coach prior to the season. He spent two years with the Sun Devils as both an offensive analyst and a recruiting assistant, tasked with evaluating Division I college football prospects and assessing player skills and talents.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Let’s strip away the alumni thing.

1. Offensive Analyst as ASSU
2. 7 years NFL experience

His next logical move is position coach. Hiring a young, upcoming coach who had time on NFL teams is a good hire, IMHO.

Being an alum is a bonus.
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

Fisch's running back coach had been an administrator and never coached and never recruited and wasn't even an alum. He did play and knew the grind and could communicate with players and he was great. By the way that's what's involved with recruiting, Communicating.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Thx Eebs but that almost made me sick seeing he has been trained by the scum. I guess we hope he is Scottie Graham
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

Shouldn't this be under the assistant coaches thread?
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Athletic writer Jayna Bardahl
rates Brennen Hire at U of A higher that Fisch at UDub!!

https://theathletic.com/5205038/2024/01 ... ign=602288
Grading college football’s recent coaching moves, plus what’s next at Michigan?

By Jayna Bardahl - Jan 16, 2024

In Seattle …

DeBoer’s departure added to a frustrating week. The 49-year-old went 25-3 in two seasons with the Huskies. With a move to the Big Ten on deck, Washington’s next coach needed to be experienced enough to take over a program just days removed from a national championship game appearance and savvy enough to build that program in a new competitive climate.

The Huskies landed on former Arizona coach Jedd Fisch. Fisch, 47, has spent three seasons in the Big Ten (Minnesota OC/QB coach in 2009, Michigan QB/WR coach from 2015-2016). And he coached quarterbacks for the Seattle Seahawks in 2010.

Fisch is a proven program builder; he coached the Wildcats up from 1-11 in 2021 to 10-3 in 2023. That’s a plus because he’s walking into a tough role at Washington, which will need to replace 18 of 22 starters from 2023. Fisch is reportedly taking his entire offensive staff from Arizona with him to Seattle, bringing at least some continuity to a quickly changing environment in Washington. Grade: B –

In Tucson, Ariz. …

The biggest loser of the recent coaching carousel movements is Arizona. The Wildcats finished No. 11 in the AP poll in 2023, their highest finish since 1998. Fisch completely revived Arizona’s program in three seasons. Now, the Wildcats are back to square one.

Fisch’s decision puts Arizona in a tricky spot as it prepares for its first Big 12 season in 2024. The plus? This is a much more attractive job than it was the last time it was open. The con? There’s a lack of consistency in Arizona’s past hirings, which leaves the Wildcats’ identity in flux.

Late Monday night, San Jose State HC Brent Brennan emerged as a leading candidate. Brennan, a former graduate assistant at Arizona, was a finalist for this job when it was last open three years ago. If finalized, this is a solid hire, and it will be interesting to see what Brennan can accomplish with more resources available to him. Grade: B (if hired, of course)
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

pc in NM wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:10 pm
In any case, I love the Tomey heritage CBSB (Coach Brent “SwaggyB” Brennen) brings to Arizona, and ...
I vote for "BBC" (B.B. Coach)
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

RichardCranium wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 10:47 pm
pc in NM wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:10 pm
In any case, I love the Tomey heritage CBSB (Coach Brent “SwaggyB” Brennen) brings to Arizona, and ...
I vote for "BBC" (B.B. Coach)
No way!

"CBB" would be consistent with what's been used around here; "CBSB" adds the uniqueness of his personality...

― Kinky Friedman
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

Yeahbt, 'BB Coach' is redolent of "BB King' and doesn't smell of a crappy TV network.
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

Yeah go ahead and Google BBC
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Fishclamps wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 5:53 pm Yeah go ahead and Google BBC
No thanks. I learned my lesson with blue waffles.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

I vote SwaggyB
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

wyo-cat wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:04 pmI vote SwaggyB
Yeah go ahead and Google "SwaggyB"... :lol: :roll:

― Kinky Friedman
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

How about “Brad’s brother”?
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

84Cat wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:57 am
I like watching these guys, but this interview couldve been alot better. Should've asked him where the holes in his current list of starters is. Recruiting area priorities?
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

They've tweeted out that coaches are on the road recruiting, and it's signing day tomorrow so kids are gonna hold off until then. What more do you want?
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

Fishclamps wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:36 pm They've tweeted out that coaches are on the road recruiting, and it's signing day tomorrow so kids are gonna hold off until then. What more do you want?

Oh come on, He wants answers darnit. Don't you know they HIM answers.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Fishclamps wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:36 pm They've tweeted out that coaches are on the road recruiting, and it's signing day tomorrow so kids are gonna hold off until then. What more do you want?
Better questions.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Cd,
It's a good thing you let Coach B. know by posting on a message board that recruiting is important to a program. He probably didn't realize it.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

UAEebs86 wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 6:24 pm Cd,
It's a good thing you let Coach B. know by posting on a message board that recruiting is important to a program. He probably didn't realize it.
Yep. Good to know he reads and pays attention to message boards-especially my posts. Got the commitment of a very good running back today. I appreciate the efforts of myself.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Nice to see Brennan and the team at the rodeo. Good way to help build hype for next season.

“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Swaggy B mic’d up an shit.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?