Arizona Head Coach Brent Brennan

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

84Cat

Re: Arizona Head Coach Brent Brennan

Post by 84Cat »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Carcassdragger wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:23 am Sausage Deli! Don't know about any other places listed except the Green Dolphin. They must've been after my time.

In 4 years, I only went to the Green Dolphin once or twice. Too much of a frat douche hangout.
That was Dirtbag's when I was going to school. Only went there once and never again. I didn't own any polo shirts or a sweater to wrap around my shoulders, nor did I have a name like Todd or Chad.

Green Dolphin was a dive bar at the time with real people.
cerec_cat

Post by cerec_cat »

Yeah I was going to say Green Dolphin seemed far removed from frat culture. Btw I have never stepped foot in DirtBugs. Anyone remember Erik Andresson's "No Exit" cartoons from the wildcat?
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Press Conf getting ready to start
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Alieberman wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:54 am Press Conf getting ready to start
Damn it Ari! Can't you see we're discussing Arizona dive bars?
arizonawildcats

Post by arizonawildcats »

Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

azgreg wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:55 am
I'm watching from the Golden Nugget
arizonawildcats

wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Alieberman wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:58 am
Home Den would be better - it was always shittier.

Now it’s some kind of church.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

arizonawildcats wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:01 pm
What????

That’s good news.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

wyo-cat wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:02 pm
Alieberman wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:58 am
Home Den would be better - it was always shittier.

Now it’s some kind of church.
Actually the Golden Nugget has new owners and its kind of shwanky now
cerec_cat

Post by cerec_cat »

Did the Home Den have ping pong tables?
arizonawildcats

84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

They're running a little late
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

cerec_cat wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:05 pm Did the Home Den have ping pong tables?
I remember pool tables.
arizonawildcats

84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

arizonawildcats

Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

1st impression- seems like a really nice really genuine guy.

No idea about what to expect from him football-wise
CopaCat

Post by CopaCat »

Alieberman wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:46 pm 1st impression- seems like a really nice really genuine guy.

Definitely a great guy. Not sure he has the fire and ruthlessness(recruiting) to be a great coach, but I guess we are about to find out.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Watching the presser, you can’t help but like the guy. I was particularly impressed with his philosophy on taking care of the players academically and socially so that football was all they really had to worry about.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

He's probably the perfect coach to follow Fisch as we are sick & tired of have smoke blown up our asses. I hope the kids respond to his message as we continue to elevate this program to sustained success
CopaCat

Post by CopaCat »

84Cat wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:02 pm He's probably the perfect coach to follow Fisch as we are sick & tired of have smoke blown up our asses. I hope the kids respond to his message as we continue to elevate this program to sustained success
Yeah I don't take Brennan to be much of a smoke blower. Unfortunately in college recruiting nowadays it's usually the smoke blowers who succeed the most.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

My feed went in and out a few times. The question I didn't hear asked was how much former players are going to part of this program moving forward. I think this was one of the things Fisch emphasized from an early stage and it must've helped with recruiting.

Hope Coach Brennan keeps our football alumni invested and helping.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

arizonawildcats wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:16 pm
Will the circle be unbroken?

… I hated the way the admin and fans treated Dick Tomey at the end in Tucson. They deep-sixed him because Arizona “never made it to the Rose Bowl” - stupidest rationale ever!! Sure, the team regressed to the mean for a couple of seasons, but he remains one of Arizona’s best coaches, and a better man than that!

In any case, I love the Tomey heritage CBSB (Coach Brent “SwaggyB” Brennen) brings to Arizona, and thrilled to see the optimism in the air just four days after Black Saturday.

There’s still a lot to be shaken out, and more than optimism will be needed, but I’m feeling good today, and I didn’t see that coming so soon last weekend.
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

Brennan seems to be the antithesis of Coach Prime, who values style of substance. Certainly there are some very talented kids who gravitate and will gravitate towards the Prime showboating style. The question is, are there enough kids who are looking for more substance that are talented enough to compete? I guess time will tell.
RawleArenas

Post by RawleArenas »

CopaCat wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:58 pm
Alieberman wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:46 pm 1st impression- seems like a really nice really genuine guy.

Definitely a great guy. Not sure he has the fire and ruthlessness(recruiting) to be a great coach, but I guess we are about to find out.
Ditto here. I came away feeling that this guy walks the walk big time. But he kinda dodged the recruiting question from the ABC guy. If he's smart, he's got a large assistant pool to help shore up that aspect (as well as others) of his coaching. It's critical he makes the right hires, because the Big 12's sure ain't the Mountain West.
CopaCat

Post by CopaCat »

Carcassdragger wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:09 pm My feed went in and out a few times. The question I didn't hear asked was how much former players are going to part of this program moving forward. I think this was one of the things Fisch emphasized from an early stage and it must've helped with recruiting.

Hope Coach Brennan keeps our football alumni invested and helping.
I would a hope a guy with Arizona ties would know the importance of keeping the alumni involved. I really don't think his name is Brent Sumlin, but I did hit my head a-lot as a child, so who knows?
TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

Great news about Coach Akina. The only thing I didn't like was his answer to the last question about how he's approaching recruiting in the near-term. He said with earlier signing day that's kind of complete, and everyone's so focused on the portal that there are great unrecruited HS players, and he always held a few slots open for the spring, and also found walk-ons. Fisch would have said something like: "Recruiting never stops, and we're going to be as relentless about it every day of the year as any team in the country." It may be that, with still trying to get his coaching staff together and with the short turnaround, he can't evaluate the roster and do much about recruiting right away (other than retaining players currently on the team.) But you've also got to hope we're not going back to undersized and overmatched "diamonds in the rough", as Tomey used to put it. We did well this past season due to Fisch's play-calling, but also due to bigger linemen, taller defensive backs, and more depth. If (a big if) he can hold on to most of the core of the roster, he'll be alright until things get settled, but I just hope he'll be all-in on aggressive recruiting and using the portal as much as it uses him.
CopaCat

Post by CopaCat »

AzCatFan2 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:12 pm Brennan seems to be the antithesis of Coach Prime, who values style of substance. Certainly there are some very talented kids who gravitate and will gravitate towards the Prime showboating style. The question is, are there enough kids who are looking for more substance that are talented enough to compete? I guess time will tell.
As you can see with Prime, even after his foot in mouth faceplant he has been able to recruit the crap out of the portal and everywhere else. Kids definitely gravitate toward assholes nowadays(probably has a-lot to do with the entertainment they are consuming growing up).
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

TheCatInTheHat wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:15 pm Great news about Coach Akina. The only thing I didn't like was his answer to the last question about how he's approaching recruiting in the near-term. He said with earlier signing day that's kind of complete, and everyone's so focused on the portal that there are great unrecruited HS players, and he always held a few slots open for the spring, and also found walk-ons. Fisch would have said something like: "Recruiting never stops, and we're going to be as relentless about it every day of the year as any team in the country." It may be that, with still trying to get his coaching staff together and with the short turnaround, he can't evaluate the roster and do much about recruiting right away (other than retaining players currently on the team.) But you've also got to hope we're not going back to undersized and overmatched "diamonds in the rough", as Tomey used to put it. We did well this past season due to Fisch's play-calling, but also due to bigger linemen, taller defensive backs, and more depth. If (a big if) he can hold on to most of the core of the roster, he'll be alright until things get settled, but I just hope he'll be all-in on aggressive recruiting and using the portal as much as it uses him.
THIS^^^^
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

I am of the belief that all things happen for a reason.

I do not think Fisch would have been as accepted by alumni and players had he been hired instead of Sumlin in 2018. I wonder if Brennan needed a little different foundation at U of A before he would be able to be most successful here. So we needed Fisch to start the process for Brennan to take it up another notch.

Very excited to see what he can do
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
RawleArenas

Post by RawleArenas »

PHXCATS wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:32 pm I am of the belief that all things happen for a reason.

I do not think Fisch would have been as accepted by alumni and players had he been hired instead of Sumlin in 2018. I wonder if Brennan needed a little different foundation at U of A before he would be able to be most successful here. So we needed Fisch to start the process for Brennan to take it up another notch.

Are you saying in this scenario that Fisch is Sean Miller and Brennan is Lloyd?
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

RawleArenas wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:38 pm
PHXCATS wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:32 pm I am of the belief that all things happen for a reason.

Are you saying in this scenario that Fisch is Sean Miller and Brennan is Lloyd?
Perhaps.

Not a perfect comparison but along those lines sure
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

VegasCatFan wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:12 pm Hope he gets introduced to the fans at McKale tomorrow. And perhaps some of the football players could join him.
Lev and a few others wondering on Twitter who he might have with him. If it’s Fifita and McMillan, we are fucking BACK.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

TheCatInTheHat wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:15 pm Great news about Coach Akina. The only thing I didn't like was his answer to the last question about how he's approaching recruiting in the near-term. He said with earlier signing day that's kind of complete, and everyone's so focused on the portal that there are great unrecruited HS players, and he always held a few slots open for the spring, and also found walk-ons. Fisch would have said something like: "Recruiting never stops, and we're going to be as relentless about it every day of the year as any team in the country." It may be that, with still trying to get his coaching staff together and with the short turnaround, he can't evaluate the roster and do much about recruiting right away (other than retaining players currently on the team.) But you've also got to hope we're not going back to undersized and overmatched "diamonds in the rough", as Tomey used to put it. We did well this past season due to Fisch's play-calling, but also due to bigger linemen, taller defensive backs, and more depth. If (a big if) he can hold on to most of the core of the roster, he'll be alright until things get settled, but I just hope he'll be all-in on aggressive recruiting and using the portal as much as it uses him.
Agree completely. One thing that Fisch got right (and he did a lot of good things) was to prioritize assistant coaches who had contacts and could recruit..........and he made a point of hiring a lot of Poly coaches that could bring in the Polynesian players (Jordan Paopao, Kaufusi, and Nansen). Brennan should attempt, IMO, to bring in a couple of well connected Poly assistants for the OL/DL positions.

I believe that a lot of the on-field success the past 2 years was the result of the play of the Poly lineman we brought in, on both sides of the ball. Whittingham at Utah has made a living off of recruiting the Poly pipeline
Last edited by dmjcat on Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

Well, I'm not "excited" to see what he can do. I am very anxious to see what he is able to do, but very uneasy. He has never been in a position to have to compete against the "big boys" for recruits and transfers and I am skeptical of his ability to be able to do that, with really just HC experience at a crappy small school. Maybe I will feel less uneasy when he finishes assembling his staff.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
IrishAzCat

Post by IrishAzCat »

tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

BBQ wildcat wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:08 pm

Well, I'm not "excited" to see what he can do. I am very anxious to see what he is able to do, but very uneasy. He has never been in a position to have to compete against the "big boys" for recruits and transfers and I am skeptical of his ability to be able to do that, with really just HC experience at a crappy small school. Maybe I will feel less uneasy when he finishes assembling his staff.
Let's see what he does with his staff. Most of the recruiting is done by assistant coaches. Its about the relationships they build with recruits. If he brings in some go getters it may allay your fears. I hope it does. I'm anxious as well.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

BBQ wildcat wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:08 pm

Completely fair to feel that way and I get it to an extent

As long as you don't attack the players and coach like man in the back the a movement then all good
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

I think being able to retain the Servite group will help with Poly kids and schools like Servite.
Tomey was big with Poly kids so I hope CBB has some link to that.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

wyo-cat wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:10 pm
cerec_cat wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:05 pm Did the Home Den have ping pong tables?
I remember pool tables.
Where was home den?
arizonawildcats

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chicat wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:01 pm
VegasCatFan wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:12 pm Hope he gets introduced to the fans at McKale tomorrow. And perhaps some of the football players could join him.
Lev and a few others wondering on Twitter who he might have with him. If it’s Fifita and McMillan, we are fucking BACK.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

MrKyle

Post by MrKyle »

Postmaster wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:00 pm
wyo-cat wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:10 pm
I remember pool tables.
Where was home den?
was right by the Golden Nugget on First Ave by Fort Lowell - great dive bar/biker bar in early 2000's

Excited to see what Brennan can do, hopefully can keep a significant portion of current roster (esp the servite guys)
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

CatsbyAZ wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:23 pm
I see Tyrian Lannister in the middle of picture
eoe

Post by eoe »

Wild full-circle moment here.

It’s funny, I heard Brennan on the SiriusXM CFB off-season previous show over the summer and was extremely impressed by how sensible and grounded he was. I didn’t connect that he was a previous UA coaching candidate.

But as great of a human being and good person he is, like everyone noted his staff’s recruiting prowess will be the sail in the wind of an amazing journey or their pitfall.