Why Arizona got Lucky

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Winger

Why Arizona got Lucky

Post by Winger »

For Postmaster and Carcasdragger.

Quick piece of laundry: if I post anything that isn't common knowledge, hasn't been reported by someone, etc. it is coming from me. not the other site. If you hear otherwise you're being played. I won't post anything that was behind the paywall over there that didn't come from me.

Why Arizona Football, imv, Got Lucky with Fisch

I have to say up front that on account of his reputation, as it was conveyed to me, I was terribly anti-Fisch from the jump. Imo all of his Arizona Family, Gronk and Bruschi, Ricky and Chuck, wearing Tomey's slicker (RIP coach), "we had to fix the offense before we could get to the defense", etc. was just a part of the act and opportunistic BS, which doubled the irritation.

The backstory to that really good 1st recruiting class and the 10 win season goes something like this ...

Fisch's next 2 recruiting classes sucked. He didn't understand who the best QB was on his team twice season 1, and then again season 3, and I am giving him the benefit of the doubt for season 2; which I am not sure is deserved. His play calling was eyebrow raising at times and he didn't know basic rules like when you have to go for 2 in OT.

Brown aside, his initial staff was a bunch of first timers, journeymen, former Arizona greats who no one else would hire, and dudes with little to no experience at their current positions. And, Brown bailed after the 1st season.

Early on in season 2 Arizona put an extension on his desk, which just about put me in the infirmary, and he refused to sign it for months. Because: he was always about the next job. And, was actively looking at that time. And, didn't want his buyout increased. He was very close to leaving Arizona for a NFL OC job after season 2, but then decided not to on account of "the money being lateral" and signed the extension.

Then, during season 3 you have the horribly uneven play behind JDL to start. Remember that Arizona was losing to Stanford when Dawkins .... err JDL ... got hurt, forcing the substitution of Tate ... err ... Fifita ... in to the lineup.

I believe if not for that injury Arizona likely loses the Stanford game and would have been lucky to have finished 500 or a game over 500.

At that point, you are stuck with Fisch's iffy coaching and terrible recruiting classes and you're going in to season 4 with JDL as the starter and Fisch as the head coach, because no one would have given him the time of day. Despite his vigor to get out of town. And you're looking at several more years of meh 500 ball at best.

And he is still going to bail on you the first chance he gets.

Instead, the QB he couldn't recognize, played like PFM, Arizona went on a roll, and Fisch, quite by accident, became a name. Then, add a green inexperienced maroon for an AD at Washington, getting spurned by his first 3 choices, Fisch's hyper aggressive agent, and despite Fisch assuring boosters like Humberto and power brokers like Kinerk that he was all in, including telling Robbins less that 36 hours before he signed with UW that he wasn't going anywhere, and his disingenuous comment to the press regarding why an extension wasn't signed ("we need to get the assistants taken care of"); he signs with UW and they do that hideous video of him signing the docs in Tucson after walking past an Arizona Football sign by his front door.

In sum, you have hope for 2024 behind a roster that needs some work but isn't abjectly terrible, a legit head football coach who isn't a charade (tho obviously we don't know what we have yet), and the 'mo of the miraculous 10-win 2023 season heading in to the Truckstop Conference.

And it only took 3 years. And we didn't have to suffer through 3 or more seasons of Fisch Meh Malaise. With a clown for a head coach who was going to bail at the first opportunity afforded.

And got $5 million from Washington.

I think that fits the definition of lucky.

Now, watch what happens in Seattle, because you know what is coming.
UAEebs86

Re: Why Arizona got Lucky

Post by UAEebs86 »

Good stuff Winger.

Who's PFM?

Who were UDubs first 3 choices besides Leopold?
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Winger

Post by Winger »

UAEebs86 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:07 pm Good stuff Winger.

Who's PFM?

Who were UDubs first 3 choices besides Leopold?
Payton Fing Manning

Leopold, J. Smith, Campbell.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Winger wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:59 pm For Postmaster and Carcasdragger.

Quick piece of laundry: if I post anything that isn't common knowledge, hasn't been reported by someone, etc. it is coming from me. not the other site. If you hear otherwise you're being played. I won't post anything that was behind the paywall over there that didn't come from me.

I have to say up front that on account of his reputation, as it was conveyed to me, I was terribly anti-Fisch from the jump. Imo all of his Arizona Family, Gronk and Bruschi, Ricky and Chuck, wearing Tomey's slicker (RIP coach), "we had to fix the offense before we could get to the defense", etc. was just a part of the act and opportunistic BS, which doubled the irritation.

The backstory to that really good 1st recruiting class and the 10 win season goes something like this ...

Fisch's next 2 recruiting classes sucked. He didn't understand who the best QB was on his team twice season 1, and then again season 3, and I am giving him the benefit of the doubt for season 2; which I am not sure is deserved. His play calling was eyebrow raising at times and he didn't know basic rules like when you have to go for 2 in OT.

Brown aside, his initial staff was a bunch of first timers, journeymen, former Arizona greats who no one else would hire, and dudes with little to no experience at their current positions. And, Brown bailed after the 1st season.

Early on in season 2 Arizona put an extension on his desk, which just about put me in the infirmary, and he refused to sign it for months. Because: he was always about the next job. And, was actively looking at that time. And, didn't want his buyout increased. He was very close to leaving Arizona for a NFL OC job after season 2, but then decided not to on account of "the money being lateral" and signed the extension.

Then, during season 3 you have the horribly uneven play behind JDL to start. Remember that Arizona was losing to Stanford when Dawkins .... err JDL ... got hurt, forcing the substitution of Tate ... err ... Fifita ... in to the lineup.

I believe if not for that injury Arizona likely loses the Stanford game and would have been lucky to have finished 500 or a game over 500.

At that point, you are stuck with Fisch's iffy coaching and terrible recruiting classes and you're going in to season 4 with JDL as the starter and Fisch as the head coach, because no one would have given him the time of day. Despite his vigor to get out of town. And you're looking at several more years of meh 500 ball at best.

Instead, the QB he couldn't recognize, played like PFM, Arizona went on a roll, and Fisch, quite by accident, became a name. Then, add a green inexperienced maroon for an AD at Washington, getting spurned by his first 3 choices, Fisch's hyper aggressive agent, and despite Fisch assuring boosters like Humberto and power brokers like Kinerk that he was all in, including telling Robbins less that 36 hours before he signed with UW that he wasn't going anywhere, and his disingenuous comment to the press regarding why an extension wasn't signed ("we need to get the assistants taken care of"); he signs with UW and they do that hideous video of him signing the docs in Tucson after walking past an Arizona Football sign by his front door.

In sum, you have hope for 2024 behind a roster that needs some work but isn't abjectly terrible, a legit head football coach who isn't a charade (tho obviously we don't know what we have yet), and the 'mo of the miraculous 10-win 2023 season heading in to the Truckstop Conference.

And it only took 3 years. And we didn't have to suffer through 3 or more seasons of Fisch Meh Malaise. With a clown for a head coach who was going to bail at the first opportunity afforded.

Well, you've kicked off your return with an absolutely epic post and I sure appreciate having you back and appreciate the return of your epic contributions.

That being said, I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around some of these assertions. For sure, the way Fisch left was extremely fucked up , but good God, a 10 win season, doesn't just happen by luck here, especially after a winless season just two years prior.

And as far as recruiting, it seems like we had at least one great recruiting class along with some very good pickups from the portal.

Yes, there certainly were some game management issues in the first two years and some of the questionable play calling seemed to be cleared up by year three.

Also, loyalty to JDL notwithstanding, and even appreciating Fifita's talent, I think the kind of year Noah had last season certainly was bolstered by some good coaching because it seems like a tall order for any redshirt freshman to have that kind of first year without some damn good coaching.

You've provided some great insight here. I may have to rethink some of my previous (mis) conceptions. Thanks!
Last edited by Carcassdragger on Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Winger wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:12 pm
Did they really try to get Smith AFTER he had just signed with MSU?
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Winger wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:59 pm Now, watch what happens in Seattle, because you know what is coming.
I personally can't wait for this part, because some Washington fans were (and still are) real assholes about the whole thing. Watching their hearts be ripped out after some questionable football will be fantastic.

Thanks for the insight.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Winger, don’t mince words, what’s the word on the street. Give it to me straight 😃😃

Great stuff, thanks. More more more
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Well the thing that changed was NF, not the coaches so I’m putting that in NF’s column.
Clearly JF can talk a great game. He got a lot of people to buy in. I am skeptical that he will have the success in the BIG 10 that the puppies are hoping for.

Thanks for response,Winger.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

If you want to understand how bad some of the decision making was we lost to Miss. St. that fired their coach. We say he was a great evaluator of talent yet he didn't understand who his best QB was. I loved the offense he ran though and hopefully that continues.

Everyone points to NF as the reason we won 10 games and I think he was great but the real improvement was on the defensive side of the ball.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

TheCat wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:23 am If you want to understand how bad some of the decision making was we lost to Miss. St. that fired their coach. We say he was a great evaluator of talent yet he didn't understand who his best QB was. I loved the offense he ran though and hopefully that continues.

Everyone points to NF as the reason we won 10 games and I think he was great but the real improvement was on the defensive side of the ball.
And that has a lot to do this Duane Akina.
cerec_cat

Post by cerec_cat »

Seems like we have often had the problem of not starting the better quarterback. Nick Foles, Willie tuitama, Khalil Tate, Fifita....
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

cerec_cat wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:59 am Seems like we have often had the problem of not starting the better quarterback. Nick Foles, Willie tuitama, Khalil Tate, Fifita....
I was thinking about that earlier, going back to Dick Tomey, who had huge loyalty to his seniors. Ortege Jenkin's senior year he was terrible. Couldn't complete 50% of his passes and threw more picks than TDs.

His backup was Jason Johnson, who Mackovic turned into a record setting QB, and even had a tryout with the Jets(?).

Not just QBs either, Tomey had a place kicker who was 1-10 in FGs. MacDonald or something like that.

Catintheheat wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:28 am And that has a lot to do this Duane Akina.

No one more pissed than Akina about Fisch.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Merkin wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:03 am
cerec_cat wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:59 am Seems like we have often had the problem of not starting the better quarterback. Nick Foles, Willie tuitama, Khalil Tate, Fifita....
I was thinking about that earlier, going back to Dick Tomey, who had huge loyalty to his seniors. Ortege Jenkin's senior year he was terrible. Couldn't complete 50% of his passes and threw more picks than TDs.

His backup was Jason Johnson, who Mackovic turned into a record setting QB, and even had a tryout with the Jets(?).

Not just QBs either, Tomey had a place kicker who was 1-10 in FGs. MacDonald or something like that.

Catintheheat wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:28 am And that has a lot to do this Duane Akina.

No one more pissed than Akina about Fisch.
Don't forget Trung's mom had to convince Tomey to play him.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

Even back to Tom Tunnicliff under Larry Smith. I don't remember who the starter was but he had to get hurt and Tom never looked back
Ghost

Post by Ghost »

There were select people close to the program already saying this midway into last season. None of those select people were media. The media fell for everything that Fisch said and did. Real football people know that Jedd is a fraud.
Winger

Post by Winger »

Ghost wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:22 pm

There were select people close to the program already saying this midway into last season. None of those select people were media. The media fell for everything that Fisch said and did. Real football people know that Jedd is a fraud.
The media seem to never be able to tell you anything negative. Until everyone has turned on the coaching staff or they have been fired or left, at which point, it’s a feeding frenzy. As a person searching for the truth this has always been irritating to me. Especially when some of them are taking shots at me for telling folks how I think it is. My guess has been that this is the case because the media is beholden on the AD, coaching staffs, etc. for information, access, and the like.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Winger, any info you can share on the assistants that left. Specifically Dwayne Walker, Nansen and Akina. They must have seen through Fisch and I wonder how that would have played out if Fisch would have stayed
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Winger wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:24 pm The media seem to never be able to tell you anything negative. Until everyone has turned on the coaching staff or they have been fired or left, at which point, it’s a feeding frenzy. As a person searching for the truth this has always been irritating to me. Especially when some of them are taking shots at me for telling folks how I think it is. My guess has been that this is the case because the media is beholden on the AD, coaching staffs, etc. for information, access, and the like.
It’s very hard to cover a team or an athletic program if you’re given no access to the players, coaches, and administrators. And no program is going to grant access to an outlet who describes a head coach in the midst of a very successful season as a slimy job climber who will punch a Girl Scout in the face if there’s a slightly bigger contract coming his way as a result.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

azcat49 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:57 pm Winger, any info you can share on the assistants that left. Specifically Dwayne Walker, Nansen and Akina. They must have seen through Fisch and I wonder how that would have played out if Fisch would have stayed
Akina is not a fan of Fisch.

He’s been critical on Xhitter about it.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Not for nuthin' but Girl Scouts are pushy and intimidating.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

You guys see the Washington AD that hired Jedd is leaving after 5 mo on the job and with no basketball coach.
Ghost

Post by Ghost »

UAEebs86 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:20 pm
Winger wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:12 pm
Did they really try to get Smith AFTER he had just signed with MSU?
No. They went all in with Leopold. When he declined they went to Fisch.
Ghost

Post by Ghost »

Chicat wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:08 pm
Winger wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:24 pm The media seem to never be able to tell you anything negative. Until everyone has turned on the coaching staff or they have been fired or left, at which point, it’s a feeding frenzy. As a person searching for the truth this has always been irritating to me. Especially when some of them are taking shots at me for telling folks how I think it is. My guess has been that this is the case because the media is beholden on the AD, coaching staffs, etc. for information, access, and the like.
It’s very hard to cover a team or an athletic program if you’re given no access to the players, coaches, and administrators. And no program is going to grant access to an outlet who describes a head coach in the midst of a very successful season as a slimy job climber who will punch a Girl Scout in the face if there’s a slightly bigger contract coming his way as a result.
The school guarantees media access. It’s not like it was in the past. The local media was very disingenuous with their coverage of Fisch. They treated him like the pope.
Ghost

Post by Ghost »

azcat49 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:57 pm Winger, any info you can share on the assistants that left. Specifically Dwayne Walker, Nansen and Akina. They must have seen through Fisch and I wonder how that would have played out if Fisch would have stayed
Walker hated Fisch. He quit because Fisch was telling him to lie to his position players. Nansen hated Fisch.
Ghost

Post by Ghost »

Winger wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:24 pm
Ghost wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:22 pm

The media seem to never be able to tell you anything negative. Until everyone has turned on the coaching staff or they have been fired or left, at which point, it’s a feeding frenzy. As a person searching for the truth this has always been irritating to me. Especially when some of them are taking shots at me for telling folks how I think it is. My guess has been that this is the case because the media is beholden on the AD, coaching staffs, etc. for information, access, and the like.
Don’t give the media any credit. They have no sources in football. They make things up and their cult licks it all up.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Ghost wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:49 pm
The school guarantees media access. It’s not like it was in the past.
The access the school can grant (to press conferences, sidelines, and press boxes) is not the same as the access the AD and individual programs can grant (to recruiting info, injury concerns, behind-the-scenes, inside scoops) but please don’t let that affect your singleminded obsession with the Tucson media (like what you display on Xitter).
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Ghost

Post by Ghost »

Chicat wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:55 pm
Ghost wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:49 pm
The school guarantees media access. It’s not like it was in the past.
The access the school can grant (to press conferences, sidelines, and press boxes) is not the same as the access the AD and individual programs can grant (to recruiting info, injury concerns, behind-the-scenes, inside scoops) but please don’t let that affect your singleminded obsession with the Tucson media (like what you display on Xitter).
Your reply made zero sense at all. Like I said correctly, the school grants access. Media doesn’t have to be on the head coach’s good side anymore. They just choose to.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

It’s far more plausible that it’s good for business than that they just fall in love with coaches but hey, you’re the shaman…
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Chi, you mean he is the Charmin we wipe our arse with
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

Ghost wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:51 pm
Walker hated Fisch. He quit because Fisch was telling him to lie to his position players. Nansen hated Fisch.
Did they say this specifically or was this something you just came up with after the fact.
Ghost

Post by Ghost »

tgrumpy2 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:51 pm
Ghost wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:51 pm
Did they say this specifically or was this something you just came up with after the fact.
Walker said this specifically. Nansen info came from some of the defensive guys.
Winger

Post by Winger »

Only assistant I know is Chuck and I dont ask him about nor bring up Fisch. Nansen moved up a level and probably knew Fisch was gone, in similar fashion he struck while the iron was hot. Tho he isnt going to be able to drink with his old drinking buddy in Austin. From Walker’s tweets or whatever they were he didnt sound too happy with things. I was shocked Akina agreed to come. Tho with the way it turned out I bet he is stoked now.
Last edited by Winger on Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Winger wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:24 pm

Wow, what a thread. Part of this might be the way the media cycles. If you're new (and say the right, rah-rah things) the local media will eat it up until losing sets in. Look at what's going on in Tempe - IMO, Dillingham is in over his head yet just about every local article reads like it's penned by Dillingham's publicist. New, young, says the right, rah-rah things.

Fisch was new enough and certainly winning enough last season to have the media on his side.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
Winger

Post by Winger »

For sure Catsby and this isnt limited to the legacy or “print” or TV media. It is all of them. Internet boards, bloggers, podcasters, etc. With me, and obviously I am not media, you’ll always get how I see it, or how I heard it, or what I believe is the deal. Looking forward to not having my ankles bitten here by those playing a game with coverage of sports, Arizona, etc.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

It’s strange to me that Nansen came here if he knew Fisch. But I guess running a program is different than even being an interim head coach.