Running back

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

tgrumpy2

Running back

Post by tgrumpy2 »

I think most of us recognize running back as an area of real need. To me the need now is actually scary. I think we have two running backs. Does anyone know of anyone else we're working on getting or are we just sitting around hoping?
azcat49

Re: Running back

Post by azcat49 »

Speedy, Conley, Brandon Johnson so we have three scholarship backs. I am sure we will add a power back here soon
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Kaiden Luke from CDO will start practice at the end of the month.

Preferred Walk On. He has good size.
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

Thank you all for the updates.
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

azcat49 wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 11:17 am Speedy, Conley, Brandon Johnson so we have three scholarship backs. I am sure we will add a power back here soon
Are you hearing rumors or know something for sure or is this just a feeling?
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

It’s a glaring position of need.

If a bunch of jokers here notice, I’m sure the coaches are aware.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I think SDSU just had a bunch of RBs hit the portal. Wonder if we’d be interested in a guy like Martin Blake.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Grumpy, I know zip but just reading tweets and listening to podcasts it seems we are recruiting some guys. Carter (the RB coach) was just in the Houston area maybe hitting up a big back who was a top 200 guy and is transferring from Ole Miss
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

azcat49 wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 2:05 pm Grumpy, I know zip but just reading tweets and listening to podcasts it seems we are recruiting some guys. Carter (the RB coach) was just in the Houston area maybe hitting up a big back who was a top 200 guy and is transferring from Ole Miss
thank you for the info. I appreciate that.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Chicat wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 1:51 pm I think SDSU just had a bunch of RBs hit the portal. Wonder if we’d be interested in a guy like Martin Blake.
He's only 5'6. Might need a bigger guy as an alternative to Speedy. Any chance at Isaiah Augustave?
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
Ghost

Post by Ghost »

Speedy is an outside the tackles runner. A true scatback. We need a bowling ball between the tackles.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Don’t agree. Speedy ran between the tackles pretty well last year so it depends on how well our line can open up holes for him to shoot through.
Ghost

Post by Ghost »

EastCoastCat wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 4:16 pm Don’t agree. Speedy ran between the tackles pretty well last year so it depends on how well our line can open up holes for him to shoot through.

He was 37 for 153 with a 4.1 avg and 1 td. He is made to run outside of the tackles in space because that is where he excels. He isn’t a durable back that can take the constant pounding that an inside rusher can take. This o-line isn’t as good as last years.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Isn’t 4 yards per rush between the tackles really good? If he can use a hesitation move like Le’Veon Bell to allow the blocks to set up and lanes to open he could be really good even at a smaller size.

It looked as though from the docu video they put out that the coaches were looking to run him up the middle so I guess time will tell.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

He looks bigger now but I don't think I'd try to make a living with him between the tackles. With that being said, that run for a TD against WSU was a thing of beauty.
Ghost

Post by Ghost »

Chicat wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 7:45 am Isn’t 4 yards per rush between the tackles really good? If he can use a hesitation move like Le’Veon Bell to allow the blocks to set up and lanes to open he could be really good even at a smaller size.

It looked as though from the docu video they put out that the coaches were looking to run him up the middle so I guess time will tell.
It more off the edges than between the tackles. Jedd had him in slow developing plays which is counter to what he’s about. Jedd never got that concept with him. Probably the reason why Speedy didn’t go to Washington.
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

You can argue all day long about how to use Speedy. He certainly has his talents but he's going to get dinged up. The other back will also get dinged up. Football is a rough game and if all we have is two running backs, we're in trouble. Someone mentioned something about another back coming this summer well that's great but we need another one. Someone jumped me on this post earlier about how they're sure Coach Brennan underestands the need for more running backs. That's fine, where are they?
Ghost

Post by Ghost »

tgrumpy2 wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 8:37 am You can argue all day long about how to use Speedy. He certainly has his talents but he's going to get dinged up. The other back will also get dinged up. Football is a rough game and if all we have is two running backs, we're in trouble. Someone mentioned something about another back coming this summer well that's great but we need another one. Someone jumped me on this post earlier about how they're sure Coach Brennan underestands the need for more running backs. That's fine, where are they?
What RB is coming this summer? The NM RB is off to Ole Miss.
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

Ghost wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 9:06 am
tgrumpy2 wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 8:37 am You can argue all day long about how to use Speedy. He certainly has his talents but he's going to get dinged up. The other back will also get dinged up. Football is a rough game and if all we have is two running backs, we're in trouble. Someone mentioned something about another back coming this summer well that's great but we need another one. Someone jumped me on this post earlier about how they're sure Coach Brennan underestands the need for more running backs. That's fine, where are they?
I don't know. That's what someone on this post informed me
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

tgrumpy2 wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 10:33 am
A preferred walkon from CDO
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

tgrumpy2 wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 10:37 am
Kayden Luke. Guy I work with saw him play in the state championship. Said that Yuma Catholic had no answer for him and that he's a stud.

After checking up on him a bit, I don't understand why he wasn't recruited more heavily. He's also a multiple time state wrestling champion, so for sure he's very athletic.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Carcassdragger wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 12:10 pm
tgrumpy2 wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 10:37 am
Kayden Luke. Guy I work with saw him play in the state championship. Said that Yuma Catholic had no answer for him and that he's a stud.

After checking up on him a bit, I don't understand why he wasn't recruited more heavily. He's also a multiple time state wrestling champion, so for sure he's very athletic.
I guess he rushed for well over 2000 yards last year and in the state championship highlights he is absolutely trucking guys.

Doesn't look like he has alot of speed though. I'm thinking he could develop into a very good linebacker.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Good article on him here. Runs through people.

"I think me and him would be a good 1-2 punch," Luke said. "You have a guy like me that runs downhill and doesn't get out of the way. He is that. He's fast. He gets out of the way. He makes people miss.

https://www.kvoa.com/news/cdo-star-runn ... 84f07.html
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Merkin wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 12:22 pm Good article on him here. Runs through people.

"I think me and him would be a good 1-2 punch," Luke said. "You have a guy like me that runs downhill and doesn't get out of the way. He is that. He's fast. He gets out of the way. He makes people miss.

https://www.kvoa.com/news/cdo-star-runn ... 84f07.html
Yeah, seems like he could be significantly under rated.

One things' for sure, he's got much more heart than most football players since he's a championship wrestler.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Competition doesn't look like much, but he does have some wheels beating the DBs to the end zone.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Merkin wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 1:52 pm Competition doesn't look like much, but he does have some wheels beating the DBs to the end zone.
Man, you're right. Wonder what his 40 time is.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Just my eye test, but I felt like Speedy needed to get the ball when he was already moving. Screen, pitch or a flair. Seemed like when they just handed him the ball he had a hard time getting going.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

I think it was 2 seasons ago, several CDO players got into some trouble related to being at a party where there was alcohol, IIRC. A lot of them got kicked off the team because it was a violation of team rules. I believe they were reinstated. But, I wonder if that caused any recruiting issues for K Luke?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Postmaster wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 10:30 pm But, I wonder if that caused any recruiting issues for K Luke?
I was wondering why he wasn't offered any wrestling scholarships being a 2 time state champion.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Merkin wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 8:36 am
Postmaster wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 10:30 pm But, I wonder if that caused any recruiting issues for K Luke?
I was wondering why he wasn't offered any wrestling scholarships being a 2 time state champion.
Do you know this to be true?

College wrestling scholarships are much fewer and harder to earn than many other sports. College wrestling was a Title 9 casualty.

Also, Arizona has 4 different high school wrestling divisions; so there are 4 state champions in each weight class. It's not like California and a very few other states, which have kids from all divisions qualify and go to one unified state championship.

Top eight in California are probably good enough to be state champs in many states.
So an Arizona state champion may very well be good enough to earn a scholarship from a top program, but also might not.

Not taking anything away from Luke, he's definitely a stud with a ton of heart. I just don't know how well he stacks up against other top kids from other states.

Most likely he'd just rather play football at Arizona. Glad he's a Wildcat.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Carcassdragger wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 9:25 am

No idea. I can't find any sites like Rivals or 247 for offering wrestling scholarships.

True about number of scholarships. Wrestling has 9.9 and FB has 85.

Almost all sports outside of MBB, WBB and FB are partial scholarships. Looking at the Cal Poly roster, which competes in the PAC-12, seems about 30 athletes are on the wrestling team.
MrKyle

Post by MrKyle »

Merkin wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 1:52 pm Competition doesn't look like much, but he does have some wheels beating the DBs to the end zone.
Definitely does look interesting!

Repping my high school, CDO! Glad to see he came to the Cats and hope he does well.
Ghost

Post by Ghost »

I hope the best for Kayden but I refuse to bank my hopes on a PWO. It’s not my fault that there are personnel issues or just lack thereof. That is on current staff.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Ghost wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 12:08 pm It’s not my fault that there are personnel issues or just lack thereof. That is on current staff.
LOL was someone blaming you?
Ghost

Post by Ghost »

Chicat wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 12:31 pm
Ghost wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 12:08 pm It’s not my fault that there are personnel issues or just lack thereof. That is on current staff.
LOL was someone blaming you?
Not yet but at some point, probably. It’s just a disclaimer.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Some of the talking heads are talking about our lack of depth at OL but don't seem to give any attention to our need for a running back. What am I missing here?
Ghost

Post by Ghost »

Carcassdragger wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 12:55 pm Some of the talking heads are talking about our lack of depth at OL but don't seem to give any attention to our need for a running back. What am I missing here?
Talking heads? Sorry, I am not at liberty to discuss that. I think the lack of personnel in the RB room supersedes the lack of depth at OL. Also, the OL probably won’t be near as good as last year’s OL
Ghost

Post by Ghost »

Postmaster wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 10:25 pm Just my eye test, but I felt like Speedy needed to get the ball when he was already moving. Screen, pitch or a flair. Seemed like when they just handed him the ball he had a hard time getting going.
That was Jedd’s slow moving offense. He tried setting up blocks while having the RB stutter stepping and waiting to go through the blocks. Poor play designs. Especially, for a guy like Speedy who you want to utilize his speed in space and not his patience in block set up.
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

Ghost wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 2:18 pm
Carcassdragger wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 12:55 pm Some of the talking heads are talking about our lack of depth at OL but don't seem to give any attention to our need for a running back. What am I missing here?
Talking heads? Sorry, I am not at liberty to discuss that. I think the lack of personnel in the RB room supersedes the lack of depth at OL. Also, the OL probably won’t be near as good as last year’s OL
I don't even hear about any running backs coming to visit or any they're pursuing. Maybe they have a plan to convert someone from another position to running back? Maybe I'm just being Chicken Little with the sky is falling routine. At OL there are a lot of kids with little or no experience but at least there are options. We don't have much at RB.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Well if the OL is bad, the RB probably won’t have a lot of success.

They used to run a lot of wishbone in the Midwest, right?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

Merkin wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 7:35 am Good summary here.

https://zonazealots.com/posts/arizona-f ... M84yNUPBH-

For some reason I was under the impression Brandon Johnson had hit the transfer portal. I don't know how excited to get about a kid that didn't even play on the NAIA team.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

I'm just a fan with very limited football knowledge; but regardless of what that article seems to imply, it sure seems self evident to me we are not deep at running back and need at least one serviceable RB who is ready to go this year.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

So we've got a back up RB from San Jose State and a redshirt sophomore who has barely played in two years as our primary starters, plus a redshirt freshman, a guy who didn't do much at a NAIA school, and a walk on as our stable of running backs and coaches are telling writers that this is one of our deep positions?

I think Conley and Speedy have a high ceiling but I don't think we can expect them to make it through the season without getting banged up.

If we don't get some help, I see this as a very real obstacle to another good season.
tgrumpy2

Re: Running back'

Post by tgrumpy2 »

Carcassdragger wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 5:16 pm So we've got a back up RB from San Jose State and a redshirt sophomore who has barely played in two years as our primary starters, plus a redshirt freshman, a guy who didn't do much at a NAIA school, and a walk on as our stable of running backs and coaches are telling writers that this is one of our deep positions?

I think Conley and Speedy have a high ceiling but I don't think we can expect them to make it through the season without getting banged up.

If we don't get some help, I see this as a very real obstacle to another good season.
I've been saying the exact same thing for a month now.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

AirZona! We don't need no stinking running backs with Fifita and T-Mac!

Won't work, but I like the way it sounds. Air Raid had some success.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Carcassdragger wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 9:25 am
Merkin wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 8:36 am

College wrestling scholarships are much fewer and harder to earn than many other sports. College wrestling was a Title 9 casualty.

Also, Arizona has 4 different high school wrestling divisions; so there are 4 state champions in each weight class. It's not like California and a very few other states, which have kids from all divisions qualify and go to one unified state championship.

Top eight in California are probably good enough to be state champs in many states.
So an Arizona state champion may very well be good enough to earn a scholarship from a top program, but also might not.

Not taking anything away from Luke, he's definitely a stud with a ton of heart. I just don't know how well he stacks up against other top kids from other states.

Most likely he'd just rather play football at Arizona. Glad he's a Wildcat.
My son played FB in HS with a guy who took his senior year off to “focus on wrestling.”

One of my best friends growing up was a FB player and Wrestler at a high level. He would never skip the chance to kick ass in football (mainly ours in practice) to focus on wrestling. He was an Iowa state champ and a national runner up at U of Iowa.

Wrestling just hits different in IA.
dmjcat

Re: Running back'

Post by dmjcat »

tgrumpy2 wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 5:44 pm
Carcassdragger wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 5:16 pm So we've got a back up RB from San Jose State and a redshirt sophomore who has barely played in two years as our primary starters, plus a redshirt freshman, a guy who didn't do much at a NAIA school, and a walk on as our stable of running backs and coaches are telling writers that this is one of our deep positions?

I've been saying the exact same thing for a month now.
I agree that depth at running back is a concern........but, the defensive tackle issue is much, much bigger. We lost two starters to Texas/NIL, a backup DT to the scum (which I still can't figure out), and another backup to graduation. We need interior DLineman, and BAD.