So...just how bad is unlv?

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

PieceOfMeat

So...just how bad is unlv?

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Cause... after seeing this:
NYCat wrote:
I gotta know how much of that is us, and how much of that was them.

That's an amazing little stat.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

The Butcher

Re: So...just how bad is unlv?

Post by The Butcher »

Consider this: 6 of the 10 times Arizona has gone over 600+ yards RichRod has been the coach. We beat them 58 to 13 at their house last year and they STILL won 7 games and went to a bowl.

I love our offense. It's only going to get better. More oiled. How can it not with those receivers? Jones-Grigsby can catch, block and run, which is huge. Anu gets his wits about him and stops over throwing wide open WR's and we are going to put a shit-ton of yardage and points up.

It's all about the defense. We need pressure and we need to be able to get some stops, allowing our D on the field.

We simply have UNLV's number. After watching UTSA today, I'm a little worried about their defense, which looked really solid at Houston. And the fact they return something like 123 seniors/starters on that team. Apparently a record.
Sage&Silver

Post by Sage&Silver »

Well, they were a bowl team. They're no Weber State.

I wonder, if not for those big plays, how many long drives could UA put together?
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

unlv is obviously not great. they can't compete with power 5 teams, but they aren't terrible...they probably aren't even one of the bottom 15-20 teams in the FBS. they won 7 games last year and had a winning conference record. they are picked to probably go to another bowl this year. they aren't great...but having the most yards by any pac 12 team in 89 yards in any game is impressive...i don't care who it's against.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

The Butcher wrote:Consider this: 6 of the 10 times Arizona has gone over 600+ yards RichRod has been the coach. We beat them 58 to 13 at their house last year and they STILL won 7 games and went to a bowl.

I love our offense. It's only going to get better. More oiled. How can it not with those receivers? Jones-Grigsby can catch, block and run, which is huge. Anu gets his wits about him and stops over throwing wide open WR's and we are going to put a shit-ton of yardage and points up.

It's all about the defense. We need pressure and we need to be able to get some stops, allowing our D on the field.

We simply have UNLV's number. After watching UTSA today, I'm a little worried about their defense, which looked really solid at Houston. And the fact they return something like 123 seniors/starters on that team. Apparently a record.
Yeah I don't think we put up the same type of numbers against UTSA if their effort today is any indication, but still...as you said, we really could put up a shit-ton of yardage and points if Anu can get his accuracy and touch a bit more on target. I mean, if the D is even half way decent....

I feel like I need to keep telling myself to pump the brakes....that it was a bad team we faced....it's just that we put up sooooo much yardage tonight without even looking like we played close to a perfect game. It just looked, so, damn, easy for them out there tonight.
NYCat wrote:
:lol:
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

ASUHATER! wrote:unlv is obviously not great. they can't compete with power 5 teams, but they aren't terrible...they probably aren't even one of the bottom 15-20 teams in the FBS. they won 7 games last year and had a winning conference record. they are picked to probably go to another bowl this year. they aren't great...but having the most yards by any pac 12 team in 89 yards in any game is impressive...i don't care who it's against.

I guess I wonder how they'd fare against any other pac12 team. Not that it's always a perfect, or even good, way to measure things...it's just I wonder.

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

If Anu was just a little calmer for the first 2 drives we would have 14 more points.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

The Butcher wrote:Consider this: 6 of the 10 times Arizona has gone over 600+ yards RichRod has been the coach. We beat them 58 to 13 at their house last year and they STILL won 7 games and went to a bowl.

I don't think UTSA is going to be a Threat against us. They did beat Houston that kind of a shocker thou. There Defense did play solid but there not going to slow us down at all.

U got to Trust RR and Coaching Staff, They will get this team Prepared against them in what 5 day time. Coker is going to have a hell of a hard time defending this WR group.
Reydituto

Post by Reydituto »

UNLV's secondary wasn't that bad actually, at least on the outside WRs. UA has the best WR corps this side of the Mississippi River though. I saw 5 future NFL guys on the field tonight playing WR for UA, and that's not counting Nate Phillips or David Richards, who I thought played really, really well. Anu showed me tonight that he can make throws under pressure, and as he tightens his accuracy, this offense only gets better.

Liked what I saw out of TJG and Wilson, but UNLV is AWFUL against the run. I'll withhold judgment on the running game until after USC.
But in my book, you gotta get to White Castle before the weirdos show up!
Tonight he gets Happy-Go-Jackie on the big white guy like a donkey eating a waffle!
Sweet Sassy Molassey, get out the checkbook and pay Grandma for the rubdown!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

PieceOfMeat wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:unlv is obviously not great. they can't compete with power 5 teams, but they aren't terrible...they probably aren't even one of the bottom 15-20 teams in the FBS. they won 7 games last year and had a winning conference record. they are picked to probably go to another bowl this year. they aren't great...but having the most yards by any pac 12 team in 89 yards in any game is impressive...i don't care who it's against.

I guess I wonder how they'd fare against any other pac12 team. Not that it's always a perfect, or even good, way to measure things...it's just I wonder.
UNLV would beat WSU and give Cal a good game. Other than that I think every other team whips them.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Saint James

Post by Saint James »

PieceOfMeat wrote:

I believe UNLV could beat Colorado, Wash. St., ASU, and Cal.

OK

Maybe not. :P
Daryl Zero

Post by Daryl Zero »

Chicat wrote:
PieceOfMeat wrote:

UNLV would beat WSU and give Cal a good game. Other than that I think every other team whips them.
I don't think so. UNLV's defense is really bad but their offense is okay. I didn't think at any time UNLV should have been able to stop Arizona's offense. OTOH, UNLV moved up the field quite a bit against our defense and we didn't get any pressure on the qb without a blitz which does not bode well.
Erlich Bachmann: Richard wrote the code, yes, but the inspiration was clear. Let me ask you something. How fast do you think you could jack off every guy in this room? Cause I know how long it would take me. And I could prove it.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Chicat wrote:
PieceOfMeat wrote:

Impressed with Colorado's two touchdown loss to CSU?
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
gumby

Post by gumby »

How bad is UNLV? So bad that after the Cats left the field, they scored three plays later.

Actually, I was fairly impressed with the 40-year-old quarterback and the wide receivers. A lot of completions with the DBs right there.
Right where I want to be.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

gumby wrote:How bad is UNLV? So bad that after the Cats left the field, they scored three plays later.

Actually, I was fairly impressed with the 40-year-old quarterback and the wide receivers. A lot of completions with the DBs right there.

#81 looks like he'll be playing on Sundays.
-JB
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

Daryl Zero wrote: I don't think so. UNLV's defense is really bad but their offense is okay. I didn't think at any time UNLV should have been able to stop Arizona's offense. OTOH, UNLV moved up the field quite a bit against our defense and we didn't get any pressure on the qb without a blitz which does not bode well.
Unlv's defense is not that bad as they had a UW transfer in Shirley and the transfer from Ucla who were both legit Pac 12 players. Not to mention that they had size and physical DB's.

Problem was they didn't get any pressure on Anu unless they blitzed and they, like every team we will play - don't have enough quality corners to stop our passing game. How many teams have 4 physical and fast cover guys? Answer is not many. Case in point is we move Hill to the slot and hit a 92 yard pass play. Most of the night we had Hill lined up wide. Hill is a beast of a match up in the slot because of his size and because a safety can't cover him.

As for Arizona and pressure on the QB, what were you expecting from a 3 man front? We got pressure on the QB when we wanted to get pressure on the QB and it was the reason why they only scored 13 points. On the series where they scored a TD we put no pressure at all on the QB and they go down and score a TD. I thought our pressure on the QB via the blitz which is what this D is designed to do was very effective tonight.

I also thought for the first time in a long time we actually had some safety help on some deep passes as we didn't see that at all LY. It makes a huge difference when the safety is back there for the deep ball.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

dc4azcats wrote: As for Arizona and pressure on the QB, what were you expecting from a 3 man front? We got pressure on the QB when we wanted to get pressure on the QB and it was the reason why they only scored 13 points.
As someone who has criticized Casteel for only rushing 3 so many times, last night I focused on watching the rush, and I have not seen in the RR era so many blitzes. Love to see some Winger stats.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

Merkin wrote:
dc4azcats wrote: As for Arizona and pressure on the QB, what were you expecting from a 3 man front? We got pressure on the QB when we wanted to get pressure on the QB and it was the reason why they only scored 13 points.
As someone who has criticized Casteel for only rushing 3 so many times, last night I focused on watching the rush, and I have not seen in the RR era so many blitzes. Love to see some Winger stats.
Agreed on the blitzes. It was a good thing to see.

Anyone notice if Denson played? Allen was much more effective when we blitzed. Good seeing Fanene in the game...that was quick. anyone have the defensive stats? Tackles etc.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

whatisee wrote:
Merkin wrote:
Agreed on the blitzes. It was a good thing to see.

Anyone notice if Denson played? Allen was much more effective when we blitzed. Good seeing Fanene in the game...that was quick. anyone have the defensive stats? Tackles etc.
http://www.arizonawildcats.com/pdf9/277 ... M_ID=30700

page 4

no stats for denson or fanene
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Denson played.
-JB
prh

Post by prh »

A tackle on a kickoff was announced as being made by Denson, it was late I believe.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Denson went in when McCall and Allah clashed
Daryl Zero

Post by Daryl Zero »

dc4azcats wrote:
Daryl Zero wrote: I don't think so. UNLV's defense is really bad but their offense is okay. I didn't think at any time UNLV should have been able to stop Arizona's offense. OTOH, UNLV moved up the field quite a bit against our defense and we didn't get any pressure on the qb without a blitz which does not bode well.
Unlv's defense is not that bad as they had a UW transfer in Shirley and the transfer from Ucla who were both legit Pac 12 players. Not to mention that they had size and physical DB's.

Problem was they didn't get any pressure on Anu unless they blitzed and they, like every team we will play - don't have enough quality corners to stop our passing game. How many teams have 4 physical and fast cover guys? Answer is not many. Case in point is we move Hill to the slot and hit a 92 yard pass play. Most of the night we had Hill lined up wide. Hill is a beast of a match up in the slot because of his size and because a safety can't cover him.

As for Arizona and pressure on the QB, what were you expecting from a 3 man front? We got pressure on the QB when we wanted to get pressure on the QB and it was the reason why they only scored 13 points. On the series where they scored a TD we put no pressure at all on the QB and they go down and score a TD. I thought our pressure on the QB via the blitz which is what this D is designed to do was very effective tonight.

I also thought for the first time in a long time we actually had some safety help on some deep passes as we didn't see that at all LY. It makes a huge difference when the safety is back there for the deep ball.
I just wanna see a DT who gives the opposing qb some trouble. We've had them before and even in the Stoops' era. You are correct that 3 on 5 or 6 is not going to be that productive. I did like the blitzes and hope that that is a symptom of what lies in the future. I guess it depends on how the secondary can handle the hot receivers. UNLV got burned a couple of times by simple slants that went a long way. When I wrote my entry, I hadn't seen the second half and I have to admit that the team looked better after halftime which is a good thing.

I'll take your word on the quality of UNLV's defense but I didn't think they were anything close to a Pac12 defense.
Erlich Bachmann: Richard wrote the code, yes, but the inspiration was clear. Let me ask you something. How fast do you think you could jack off every guy in this room? Cause I know how long it would take me. And I could prove it.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Daryl Zero wrote:I just wanna see a DT who gives the opposing qb some trouble. We've had them before and even in the Stoops' era. You are correct that 3 on 5 or 6 is not going to be that productive. I did like the blitzes and hope that that is a symptom of what lies in the future.
In the 3-3-5 the DLineman are supposed to take on blockers to free up lanes for the linebackers to get through the gaps and into the backfield. So that's why you won't see that traditional upfield pressure from a defensive end.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Reydituto

Post by Reydituto »

I thought Worthy had a decent game starting at NT.
But in my book, you gotta get to White Castle before the weirdos show up!
Tonight he gets Happy-Go-Jackie on the big white guy like a donkey eating a waffle!
Sweet Sassy Molassey, get out the checkbook and pay Grandma for the rubdown!
gumby

Post by gumby »

Chicat wrote:
Daryl Zero wrote:I just wanna see a DT who gives the opposing qb some trouble. We've had them before and even in the Stoops' era. You are correct that 3 on 5 or 6 is not going to be that productive. I did like the blitzes and hope that that is a symptom of what lies in the future.
In the 3-3-5 the DLineman are supposed to take on blockers to free up lanes for the linebackers to get through the gaps and into the backfield. So that's why you won't see that traditional upfield pressure from a defensive end.
Or elite ones choosing Arizona. The job description isn't fun. I remain skeptical of the scheme, but I do love the offense.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

gumby wrote:
Chicat wrote:
Or elite ones choosing Arizona. The job description isn't fun. I remain skeptical of the scheme, but I do love the offense.
But do you need an elite DLineman to be a space-filler?
qwertyus

Post by qwertyus »

gumby wrote:
Chicat wrote:
When we bring a LB down, we basically become a 4-man front. I don't think an elite DL would necessarily do poorly here.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Need better linemen, regardless of scheme. Probably not going to recruit them when the job is space filler. Like basketball, when your job as a Big is to set screens and box out so the others can score and rebound.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

gumby wrote:Need better linemen, regardless of scheme. Probably not going to recruit them when the job is space filler. Like basketball, when your job as a Big is to set screens and box out so the others can score and rebound.
Popular argument, but it ignores the fact that a 3 man front is common in the NFL and good space fillers may not make sports center, but they do demand top dollar and are in high demand. Nothing is sexier than a big pay check.

The bigger problem is that there are not many quality, big defensive lineman out of high school and the ones that exist tend to go to the SEC or big boy programs (pun intended). Winning solves a lot of issues including recruiting the players required for this defensive front.
boat343

Post by boat343 »

ANGCatFan wrote:
gumby wrote:Need better linemen, regardless of scheme. Probably not going to recruit them when the job is space filler. Like basketball, when your job as a Big is to set screens and box out so the others can score and rebound.
Popular argument, but it ignores the fact that a 3 man front is common in the NFL and good space fillers may not make sports center, but they do demand top dollar and are in high demand. Nothing is sexier than a big pay check.

The bigger problem is that there are not many quality, big defensive lineman out of high school and the ones that exist tend to go to the SEC or big boy programs (pun intended). Winning solves a lot of issues including recruiting the players required for this defensive front.
The funny thing is is that this defense was designed for programs who don't have the ability to recruit traditional 6'5 300 lb. DTs.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Well that what everyone want keep, 6'5 300 pound DT to plug of the middle and I think. I fine for the we got on the roster for DL. LB core need to be faster on pursuing QB and Ball Carrier. And the Secondary need some work especially on CB.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Yeah, really inexplicable how far Jonathan McKnight has fallen. Gotta start playing up and closing off the options, as I guarantee the critical refrain this weekend will be "Why is their QB getting so much time in the pocket to find an open man?"

Look, nobody is disputing that the offense, once it gets cranked, is brilliant on this team. I just wonder how many games and how far down this team is going to get jumped on before it can assert from the start on quality Pac-12 programs.

Like I cautioned in the UTSA thread, the Cats are going to win in a comeback in San Antonio, and the 3-3-5 is going to get exploited early--their RBs picked up our blitz packages last year pretty well in the first three quarters IIRC.

Let's not get too impressed with how many points we can put on the board until we can start doing that consistently, on our opening drives. ASU has proven it can play that game and play it better. Plus, Anu's going to have his off nights.

Love the end-zone kickoffs and burst from Jones-Grigsby, though. Still think Nick Wilson pushes him for starter this season.
gumby

Post by gumby »

ANGCatFan wrote:

Who is the last DT (not rush end) who went to the League from Arizona? Doesn't surprise me that they're at a premium given the task.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

gumby wrote:Who is the last DT (not rush end) who went to the League from Arizona? Doesn't surprise me that they're at a premium given the task.
Salave'a? Osborne?
TheBlackLodge

Post by TheBlackLodge »

Chicat wrote:
gumby wrote:Who is the last DT (not rush end) who went to the League from Arizona? Doesn't surprise me that they're at a premium given the task.
Salave'a?
EMFM
Formerly McLurvin
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

gumby wrote:
ANGCatFan wrote:

Who is the last DT (not rush end) who went to the League from Arizona? Doesn't surprise me that they're at a premium given the task.
Most recent
2010 Earl Mitchell

Then you need to go back a ways...
1998 Joe Salave'a
1996 Chuck Osborne
1994 Rob Waldrop
1993 Ty Parten
more

For grins...

Think only one Casteel led (3-3-5) DT drafted:
2011 Chris Neild

[CORRECTED] Two DE's drafted from Casteel 3-3-5
A DE 2012 Bruce Irvin drafted. Kind of count Will Clarke as a Casteel DE who played 17 games in Casteel's 3-3-5. Clarke Drafted last year.
LOTS of CBs, Safties and LBs though
Last edited by RazorsEdgeAZ on Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

TheBlackLodge wrote:
Chicat wrote:
Salave'a?
EMFM
My brain is obviously still on vacation.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Apparently, I'm spoiled by the 90s. Then again, we didn't put any QBs into the League from that era.

Can't have everything ... I guess.