Week 3: Nevada Scout/Discussion

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

azgreg

Week 3: Nevada Scout/Discussion

Post by azgreg »

We get a good look at the Wolf Pack tonight on ESPN as they take on the Cougs.
whatisee

Re: Week 3: Neveda Scout/Discussion

Post by whatisee »

Well the one thing we know if they have a very good QB who is in his 4th year of starting.
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

Nevada struggled last year and while they played a FCS playoff team in S. Utah last week, it still doesnt look good on paper to have a close score. They are ranked in the 70s and I expect this game to be more like last year's bowl game against BC rather then the rematch of 2 years ago...unless they give WSU a run.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Wsu should win but who knows. Nevada was picked higher than unlv in the media poll but not by much.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
BMalo

Post by BMalo »

I'd like to see a little better play calling on our part. I know it's the third OOC game and we will want to keep things "vanilla" but I don't want another game like last night.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

BMalo wrote:I'd like to see a little better play calling on our part. I know it's the third OOC game and we will want to keep things "vanilla" but I don't want another game like last night.
I thought last night we got real conservative.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azgreg wrote:
BMalo wrote:I'd like to see a little better play calling on our part. I know it's the third OOC game and we will want to keep things "vanilla" but I don't want another game like last night.
The 4 runs up the middle in a row for little gain with 10 minutes left in the game is conservative?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Merkin wrote:
azgreg wrote:
The 4 runs up the middle in a row for little gain with 10 minutes left in the game is conservative?
Tomeyish.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Ah....the days of sitting in the stands....when Tomey was the coach....and someone yelling "Hey, I wonder what's coming next?!" and then all the fans around that person yelling in response, "RUN UP THE MIDDLE!!!!"

Or, maybe that was just the group of fans where I usually sat, and didn't happen all around the stadium.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

The announcers were getting on RichRod for not doing a Tomey-ish pooch kick end of the last series, instead of turning it over on downs.
BMalo

Post by BMalo »

I would've tried to pooch it and when they pooched it we didn't put anyone back there to return and it ended up taking a UTSA bounce which I thought was a bad call.

Last night's defensive play, even if the numbers weren't "bad", continues to make me skeptical of our defensive scheme. I think it's a good scheme for this conference on paper but I couldn't help but to think how fucked we are going to be come conference play.
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

PieceOfMeat wrote:Ah....the days of sitting in the stands....when Tomey was the coach....and someone yelling "Hey, I wonder what's coming next?!" and then all the fans around that person yelling in response, "RUN UP THE MIDDLE!!!!"

Or, maybe that was just the group of fans where I usually sat, and didn't happen all around the stadium.
When I was in the student section 1996-1999, the common chant from our section was "Up the middle Dick! Up the middle Dick!" on every 3rd and long. And it usually was an up the middle run. Lol.
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

UAdevil wrote:
PieceOfMeat wrote:Ah....the days of sitting in the stands....when Tomey was the coach....and someone yelling "Hey, I wonder what's coming next?!" and then all the fans around that person yelling in response, "RUN UP THE MIDDLE!!!!"

When I was in the student section 1996-1999, the common chant from our section was "Up the middle Dick! Up the middle Dick!" on every 3rd and long. And it usually was an up the middle run. Lol.

Even my daughter, who was probably 5 at the time when Ortege Jenkins was QB would go on a 3rd and long: "QB draw coming up".
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

I remember Mackovic's first home game against Idaho. Every time the Cats would throw the ball long, especially on first or third down, the people around us would all giddily yell "That never happened under Tomey!!!" This went on all game.

Then late in the 4th quarter UA's 36-9 lead turned into a 36-29 lead as Idaho made a late charge (if they'd had five more minutes they'd have won that game.) We turned to the other people nearby and yelled "THAT never happened under Tomey!!!"
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

BMalo wrote:I would've tried to pooch it and when they pooched it we didn't put anyone back there to return and it ended up taking a UTSA bounce which I thought was a bad call.

Last night's defensive play, even if the numbers weren't "bad", continues to make me skeptical of our defensive scheme. I think it's a good scheme for this conference on paper but I couldn't help but to think how fucked we are going to be come conference play.
Is it the scheme...or the fact that our CBs are coached to give 10-yard cushions--and the WRs don't have experience with physical defenders and aren't there for this team yet in the Red Zone?

It's the one thing with our defense that if I were Casteel, I would fix. Like, yesterday.

It matters, and it has lost so many games for this program, I can't begin to tell you. Touchdowns in the Red Zone are just as big of plays as deep balls, probably moreso.

Track meet offenses aren't going to matter sh*t if we can't get 6 points inside the 20, and this became a huge problem under Stoops on both sides of the ball. I want my corners to be Mike Haynes and Lester Hayes on every play, and if they have a problem manning up receivers, they picked the wrong sport to get a full college scholarship for.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azpenguin wrote:

I remember Mackovic's first home game against Idaho. Every time the Cats would throw the ball long, especially on first or third down, the people around us would all giddily yell "That never happened under Tomey!!!" This went on all game.

Then late in the 4th quarter UA's 36-9 lead turned into a 36-29 lead as Idaho made a late charge (if they'd had five more minutes they'd have won that game.) We turned to the other people nearby and yelled "THAT never happened under Tomey!!!"
:lol: That's a great story.

I remember when Mackovic was hired, the number 1 priority from UA fans was getting someone who could make for an exciting offense after the defensive minded Tomey. Mackovic was a COY in 3 difference conferences, and a former NFL QB to boot. However, in all the excitement we forgot to notice he was also fired 4 times.

Mackovic did make Jason Johnson a (then) record setting UA QB though.
illcat

Post by illcat »

:lol: :lol:
I mean I am not complaining but it must suck for good ugly girls.
--Officer Craig

You'll forgive DW99, he's used to the methed-out slores in Tempe ...
--Reydituto
OSUCat

Re: Week 3: Nevada Scout/Discussion

Post by OSUCat »

I think the long week will do the team well. It will Let the OCs talk to Anu and get things worked out on the timing. I probably do not know what I am talking about, but I think the issue Arizona is running into is that they tried to give 4 QB's equal reps throughout camp. I understand the point of competition, but when you are pushing 4 guys when you can only use one maybe two in a game, seems a bit far fetched. Anu needed more reps, and he wasn't able to get that until these games.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

OSUCat wrote:I think the long week will do the team well. It will Let the OCs talk to Anu and get things worked out on the timing. I probably do not know what I am talking about, but I think the issue Arizona is running into is that they tried to give 4 QB's equal reps throughout camp. I understand the point of competition, but when you are pushing 4 guys when you can only use one maybe two in a game, seems a bit far fetched. Anu needed more reps, and he wasn't able to get that until these games.
Daniel Berk said that if he saw 500 first team snaps in fall camp, Solomon probably had 450 of them. It's just an environment you can't re-create in practice, on the road, against a very experienced team.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azpenguin wrote:
OSUCat wrote:I think the long week will do the team well. It will Let the OCs talk to Anu and get things worked out on the timing. I probably do not know what I am talking about, but I think the issue Arizona is running into is that they tried to give 4 QB's equal reps throughout camp. I understand the point of competition, but when you are pushing 4 guys when you can only use one maybe two in a game, seems a bit far fetched. Anu needed more reps, and he wasn't able to get that until these games.
Daniel Berk said that if he saw 500 first team snaps in fall camp, Solomon probably had 450 of them. It's just an environment you can't re-create in practice, on the road, against a very experienced team.
Especially with the new rules regarding contact in practice as the announcers noted.

Don't recall their names, but were very impressed with their knowledge, and of course all their predictions seemed correct.
UAtrue

Post by UAtrue »

Ha, ha. No it wasn't just you guys. I mostly watched the games w/friends and he was always "Run up the middle Tomey" to us. Still, we love the guy
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

Once thing I learned last night: Dave Wannstedt continues to evolve into Dennis Farina as he ages.
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
azthrillhouse

Post by azthrillhouse »

That's pretty much exactly how I remember it in the student section (89-93.....eeesh)

We also took great joy in yelling "QUICK KICK" on 3rd & long. :-)
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

azthrillhouse wrote:

That's pretty much exactly how I remember it in the student section (89-93.....eeesh)

We also took great joy in yelling "QUICK KICK" on 3rd & long. :-)

Ahhhh ahahahah yes, the beloved quick kick. :lol:
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

illcat

Post by illcat »

Run on 1st and 2nd throw on 3rd and punt on 4.
I mean I am not complaining but it must suck for good ugly girls.
--Officer Craig

You'll forgive DW99, he's used to the methed-out slores in Tempe ...
--Reydituto
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Nevada was looking good, but WSU is carving them up these last 2 drives. The bubble screens and run game are working well against them.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Watching the Nevada/WSU game it appears to me that Nevadas defense is about the same caliber as the one we faced in the NM Bowl. On offense the QB is still good but their offensive line has taken a step back in talent compared to 2 years ago.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

This may be a good game for Solomon to settle back in. He'll have had over a week of film and practice. One thing that Wazzu can't do effectively that a Arizona can is run the football. Once the run is established Nevada is going to have lots of fun covering the WRs...
The Butcher

Post by The Butcher »

Nevada doesn't look that terrible to me. They are up on WSU 21 to 10 right now and their defense actually looks big and physical. Some good athletes there.

Should be interesting.
wilbur1997

Post by wilbur1997 »

Nevada's QB can run.

I can't tell if Nevada is good or WSU is bad. Probably both. The Wolfpack have 11 upperclassmen starting on defense. 6 Seniors, 5 Juniors. This will be another good test for our R-Fr QB and Fr tailback. Thank goodness for the experience of our O-Line & receivers.

I can't believe the situation at Washington State. I thought the experiment with coach pirate was going to be a huge success. I'm shocked they've lost to Rutgers and Nevada this year.

That 2015 game at Nevada might be more interesting than we want it to be. UTSA in 2015 at home will not be as interesting. Road Runners will be rebuilding.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Nevada surely gained plenty of confidence to take to Tucson, but I'm not sure it'll amount to enough. I'm convinced WSU's 38 rushing yards had more to do with Leach's stupid gameplan than the Wolfpack's rush D. The week before S. Utah was able to post a decent amount of rush- 156yds. Let's see if our OL can open holes for Wilson against their solid front 7, and for good measure push this DBag around while your at it.

“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
qwertyus

Post by qwertyus »

CatsbyAZ wrote:Nevada surely gained plenty of confidence to take to Tucson, but I'm not sure it'll amount to enough. I'm convinced WSU's 38 rushing yards had more to do with Leach's stupid gameplan than the Wolfpack's rush D. The week before S. Utah was able to post a decent amount of rush- 156yds. Let's see if our OL can open holes for Wilson against their solid front 7, and for good measure push this DBag around while your at it.

U jelly, brah?
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Well we should not overlook Nevada like we did UTSA. How did a pass happy team like WSU lost to Nevada that is crazy.
Saint James

Post by Saint James »

We did not overlook UTSA. That is an insult to how well they played and could have won.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Saint James wrote:We did not overlook UTSA. That is an insult to how well they played and could have won.
How that insult of how they play, Regardless we won the game against them not in good fashion but a win is a win and few people and including my self thought this game was going to be a blowout from the get go and it wasn't. .

I'm just saying that we can not have the type of game like that, especially when the defense had trouble stopping play.

Nevada maybe one of those game were the defense got to step up once again.

I don't think it an insult of what I said.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

We didn't overlook UTSA. They're a damn good football team, and I think they challenge for their conference title.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

azgreg wrote:We didn't overlook UTSA. They're a damn good football team, and I think they challenge for their conference title.
Ok I get point what your trying to make to me. Only thing I just trying to say is we got be more prepared each game.
Macho Grande

Post by Macho Grande »

cordera89 wrote:
azgreg wrote:We didn't overlook UTSA. They're a damn good football team, and I think they challenge for their conference title.
Ok I get point what your trying to make to me. Only thing I just trying to say is we got be more prepared each game.

We were plenty prepared. UTSA is just a much better team than you thought they were. Don't know why that' s so hard for you to admit but, whatever.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

There are guys on UTSA's squad that would play a lot for Arizona.
Zona_Soccer10

Post by Zona_Soccer10 »

UTSA is a game squad, I don't think as many people realize that as there should be. Nevada is no different, we just have to show up and stick to our plan. It's really come apparently with Wazzu is you never know what you're going to get out of them. We found that out the hard way last year. I think the boys will be happy to be back home. A road win is a road win, and they can carry that against Nevada. As we've found out this weekend, it doesn't matter who is on your schedule, they can play, and they will push you if you're not careful or awake.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

It is not disrespectful at all to say that we should have beaten UTSA much more handily than we did. They are a terrific team given this is their 4th year in existence, but those of you that keep going on about what a good team they are seem to be trying awfully hard to make yourselves feel better about our close call.

If UTSA is really as close to us as the game Thursday would suggest, then we are a lot further away from competing for a division championship, let alone a conference one, than I think most of us hope.

It was one game, which in and of itself means nothing. Forge ahead and see where this team really is. I personally am hoping that we are farther along than we showed 2 nights ago, and we might be.
Catstatic

Post by Catstatic »

Harvey Specter wrote:It is not disrespectful at all to say that we should have beaten UTSA much more handily than we did. They are a terrific team given this is their 4th year in existence, but those of you that keep going on about what a good team they are seem to be trying awfully hard to make yourselves feel better about our close call.

If UTSA is really as close to us as the game Thursday would suggest, then we are a lot further away from competing for a division championship, let alone a conference one, than I think most of us hope.

It was one game, which in and of itself means nothing. Forge ahead and see where this team really is. I personally am hoping that we are farther along than we showed 2 nights ago, and we might be.
I agree. We left a lot of points on the field. The red zone needs work, from play calling to execution. Coaches know all of this. We got the W as well as a dose of humility/reality.

All in all, not a bad road trip.

Go Cats!!
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Opened up at -16.5 and went to -14.5 right away according to Vegas Insider line movements.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

cordera89 wrote:
Saint James wrote:We did not overlook UTSA. That is an insult to how well they played and could have won.
How that insult of how they play, Regardless we won the game against them not in good fashion but a win is a win and few people and including my self thought this game was going to be a blowout from the get go and it wasn't. .

I'm just saying that we can not have the type of game like that, especially when the defense had trouble stopping play.

Nevada maybe one of those game were the defense got to step up once again.

I don't think it an insult of what I said.
Pretty sure you were the only one predicting a blowout. Well, you and that Mike guy on the UTSA forum.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Harvey Specter wrote:It is not disrespectful at all to say that we should have beaten UTSA much more handily than we did. They are a terrific team given this is their 4th year in existence, but those of you that keep going on about what a good team they are seem to be trying awfully hard to make yourselves feel better about our close call.

Or UTSA is simply better than you give them credit for being. I'll tell you what, their defense did a simply fine job limiting two reasonably explosive offenses in the first two games of the season. We'll see how they fare against OSU this week.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Any news on TJG this week?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Line up to -15.5
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azgreg wrote:Any news on TJG this week?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

How about they each get 15-20 carries and 100 yards a game. I want 2 1000 yard rushers
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.