Grade Arizona vs UTSA

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

jollything

Grade Arizona vs UTSA

Post by jollything »

Offense
QB: C+ Had some serious ups and downs this game, but another game without a turnover. Seemed to be limited by play calling in the second half. 0 points in the 4th qtr. RS freshman 1st road game nerves?
RB: A Wilson may not give TJG back the 1 spot, and Baker was decent in relief.
WR: B- Drops by a few of these guys, Jones accounted for 143 of Anu's 231 yards passing. Where were the rest of these guys? Hill in particular.
O-Line: B Gaps for Wilson, but Solomon got rocked a couple times again.

Defense
Secondary: C+ Gave up some big plays and the 10 yd cushion we give is confusing to say the least. Tevis is an animal. Played somewhat better in the second half. That 4th and 11 play was a facepalm.
LB's: B-/C+ Huge holes in coverage but also some big plays from Scooby. Played much better in the second half.
D-Line: B- Found ourselves in the backfield a few times, but didn't get all the way to the QB. Held UTSA to 121 on the ground.

Special teams
K: A Skowron makes me happy
PR: C Not having a guy back to return a kick and subsequently getting pinned at the 3 yd line? Not a good look.
P/KO: C Gave up a few big returns and a few of our guys got blown up doing it.
Merkin

Re: Grade Arizona vs UTSA

Post by Merkin »

Agree with the most part:

D-Line: C-. No pressure on the QB when they rush 3 (On coaching?)

PR: B+. Blame the no PR on the coaches. Just loved Nate Phillips returning the punt for 18 yards when everyone thought he would fair catch it.

Punting: B. Riggleman has not be spectacular, but he has been solid. No shanks yet.
Coaching: C. See above. Too conservative in the 4th Q. 4 straight running plays with 10 minutes left? Going to the prevent too soon?
jollything

Post by jollything »

Merkin wrote:Agree with the most part:

PR: B+. Blame the no PR on the coaches. Just loved Nate Phillips returning the punt for 18 yards when everyone thought he would fair catch it.

Punting: B. Riggleman has not be spectacular, but he has been solid. No shanks yet.
Coaching: C. See above. Too conservative in the 4th Q. 4 straight running plays with 10 minutes left? Going to the prevent too soon?

Yeah there was some issues with the play calling late. I don't like playing "Not to Lose"
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

Merkin wrote:Agree with the most part:

scheme...all three guys spent most of the night in double teams. Casteel seems to like the corner blitz, but i believe Jones & Scooby got their sacks up the middle. I'd like to see more middle and delayed blitzes personally.

Did Matthews play last night? Bush-Loo? Those guys were quiet if they did play. I did notice Matthews was listed as a starter. UTSA's TE killed us and this could be a weakness unless those OLB's learn how to cover
boat343

Post by boat343 »

Outside of Scooby, our LB corps seems like it's going to be a weakness this year. Ippolito.... c'mon. The best suggestion I've seen is moving Bondurant to LB since Parks is playing so phenomenal.