New Coach Hot Board

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Chicat

Re: New Coach Hot Board

Post by Chicat »

The scuttlebutt is that contract details are being worked through with the agent of 1A. If certain things can’t be agreed to, we’ll move on to 1B.

If those things can be agreed to, we’ll have a new coach before Christmas. If not, it may take longer but definitely before New Years.

For the record I don’t know who is A and who is B, but the candidates are Ken and Brennan. If it ends up being someone else it’s because Heeke and Robbins truly screwed the pooch. Feel free to riot.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Chicat wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:12 pm The scuttlebutt is that contract details are being worked through with the agent of 1A. If certain things can’t be agreed to, we’ll move on to 1B.

If those things can be agreed to, we’ll have a new coach before Christmas. If not, it may take longer but definitely before New Years.

For the record I don’t know who is A and who is B, but the candidates are Ken and Brennan. If it ends up being someone else it’s because Heeke and Robbins truly screwed the pooch. Feel free to riot.
First of all, I love the term scuttlebutt, second of all this pretty dead on. I can't imagine a world exists that if Brennan is offered he says no. This is Arizona though so anything is possible.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:21 pm
Chicat wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:12 pm The scuttlebutt is that contract details are being worked through with the agent of 1A. If certain things can’t be agreed to, we’ll move on to 1B.

First of all, I love the term scuttlebutt, second of all this pretty dead on. I can't imagine a world exists that if Brennan is offered he says no. This is Arizona though so anything is possible.
If this is contract dependent, given Niumatalolo makes 2.1 mil a year at Navy and Brennan makes a little over 500k at SJSU...well, you'd figure there would be more contract work to be done with Niumatalolo than Brennan, right?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:27 pm

If this is contract dependent, given Niumatalolo makes 2.1 mil a year at Navy and Brennan makes a little over 500k at SJSU...well, you'd figure there would be more contract work to be done with Niumatalolo than Brennan, right?
Assistant pool of course matters as well and I have no idea what Arizona is willing to offer in that regard.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ChooChooCat wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:42 pm

Assistant pool of course matters as well and I have no idea what Arizona is willing to offer in that regard.
Yep, assistant pay could be a sticking point. Especially with Brennan wanting to bring the majority of his staff with him. Which is what we should want too.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Cool. It seems like we'd have more $ to go around for assistants with Brennan, given that it seems like we could get him for 500k-750k less than Ken N, but I am no insider and that's blind speculation.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

I’m pulling for Brennan, but wouldn’t be upset with Ken. I think either one would bring an attitude change that is badly needed. I also wouldn’t mind some San Jose St transfers.

But it is Arizona, so yeah, it can all get messed up.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Chicat wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:51 pm

Yep, assistant pay could be a sticking point. Especially with Brennan wanting to bring the majority of his staff with him. Which is what we should want too.
I can't imagine it would be much of an issue, our assistant pool last year was more than double that of San Jose St.
Sid

Post by Sid »

gronk4heisman wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 2:43 pm
Chicat wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:51 pm

I can't imagine it would be much of an issue, our assistant pool last year was more than double that of San Jose St.
Non issue. The disgusting performance on the field has prompted large wallets to magically open.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Hoping for Brennan as well. One might think that would delay the announcement until after the AZ bowl though
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Should we be at all worried that Brennan's one year of success was primarily due to having a QB who started at two different SEC schools leading the team this year? By that I mean, was his success this year related more to the having a QB who would be considered a man among boys in the MWC? Peyton Manning took Jim Caldwell to the Superbowl, is this potentially a case of a QB making a coach look better then he actually is? This is an honest question because I have not watched more then a one quarter of one game which San Jose St has played.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

gronk4heisman wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:56 pm Should we be at all worried that Brennan's one year of success was primarily due to having a QB who started at two different SEC schools leading the team this year? By that I mean, was his success this year related more to the having a QB who would be considered a man among boys in the MWC? Peyton Manning took Jim Caldwell to the Superbowl, is this potentially a case of a QB making a coach look better then he actually is? This is an honest question because I have not watched more then a one quarter of one game which San Jose St has played.
It could be. I mean, the downside of Brennan is we're buying in on him before he shows he can do it consistently.

Of course, one upside of Brennan is that we're buying in on him before he shows he can do it consistently and we can no longer afford him.

And heck, at SJSU, you need some creative solutions like transfers. I don't think that's bad. You need to be creative at Arizona as well. We could use a few of the immediately eligible transfers from some SEC schools this offseason.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

I was more impressed with their defense than their quarterback.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I was impressed with the winning. Haven’t seen a whole lot of that around these parts.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Chicat wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:15 pm I was impressed with the winning. Haven’t seen a whole lot of that around these parts.
That's what did it for me, too.
AV8RCAT

Post by AV8RCAT »

azgreg wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:15 pm I really don't think there's a chance in hell Salave'a comes here to be DC.
Isn't he Co-Coordinator now?
Any chance he wants to be THE Coordinator at his Alma Mater with a chance to position himself as a successor?
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

AV8RCAT wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:43 pm
azgreg wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:15 pm I really don't think there's a chance in hell Salave'a comes here to be DC.
Any chance he wants to be THE Coordinator at his Alma Mater with a chance to position himself as a successor?
Brennan is super young. Hard to see that as a selling point. Unless you think Brennan sees UofA as a stepping stone to a better job.

Welcome to the board, by the way!
prh

Post by prh »

ByJoveByJingle wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:57 pm
Brennan is super young. Hard to see that as a selling point. Unless you think Brennan sees UofA as a stepping stone to a better job.

I hope Brennan sees us as a stepping stone, that would mean a lot more winning
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

prh wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:12 pm I hope Brennan sees us as a stepping stone, that would mean a lot more winning
This! Similar to Larry Smith bolting to USC, he put the UA football program in a good place.
prh

Post by prh »

Merkin wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:33 pm
prh wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:12 pm I hope Brennan sees us as a stepping stone, that would mean a lot more winning
This! Similar to Larry Smith bolting to USC, he put the UA football program in a good place.
Yeah exactly. No one is hiring him away if he averages 6.5 wins (after a couple rebuilding years). Maybe someone hires him if he averages 8. 9.5? Goodbye and thank you
Last edited by prh on Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Yep. This isn't 1987 anymore despite what people want you to believe. But if someone averages 8 or 9 wins a year here for 5 ish years then that's about all I could hope for at Arizona. If that happens and they leave then indeed thank you!
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

If I was a coach who built a winning culture at a Power 5 school, I’d be very leery of “moving up.” There are a lot of variables in creating a winning environment and culture and it doesn’t always (usually?) travel. There are a lot more Chip Kellys and (insert Florida State post-Bowden coaches) than there are Nick Sabans.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

In re UofA

Post by In re UofA »

I don’t think he’s ready, but I’d prefer Cason to Fich.
NickyBCats

Post by NickyBCats »

I mean why the F not at this point?!? Any guesses on the staff Cason would pull?
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

We're totally going to fuck up this hire, aren't we?
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

This is turning into a Mongolian clusterfuck.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
aznavcat

Post by aznavcat »

U of A fans we have a limited window to effect change. We need to blitz the Prez with emails/phone calls pronto. Last chance.

email: president@email.arizona.edu
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

azgreg wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:48 pm
Uhh, I like Cason, but he's currently a DB coach at Nike youth camps.

At least I think he is from LinkedIn. His wikipedia page isn't updated and I cannot find any other evidence of his current employment.

For the love of all that's good, Brennan or Niumatalolo would both be ok, but we'd going to go with sone idiotic third option.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
Lando05

Post by Lando05 »

azgreg wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:14 pm
F it, love the honesty, passion, and approach. Also one if my favorite Wildcats of all time. I want no part of Fisch.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

azgreg wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:14 pm
Lol, his pitch isn't too far away from the outside the box structure I've mentioned a couple times.

It actually...makes some sense to me. Understand your limitations, find how you can be successful within those limitations.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

The only thing worse than Arizona football is Chief.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Break out the popcorn.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Robbins is such a fucking problem.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

The only things worse than Arizona football are Chief and Robbins.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

ChooChooCat wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:33 pm Robbins is such a fucking problem.

Sure sounds like it. Ugh. Why can't Robbins butt out and let Heeke make the right hire?
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
AV8RCAT

Post by AV8RCAT »

ByJoveByJingle wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:57 pm

I don't know. His ties are more to coach Tomey than to AZ. i also don't know if sole DC at AZ is promotion from CO-DC at Oregon.

and Thanks!
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

AZCatGirl wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:35 pm

Sure sounds like it. Ugh. Why can't Robbins butt out and let Heeke make the right hire?
Robbins' guy is fucking Fisch???? Fuck.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Literally easiest hire in U of A history and Jerry fucking Jones is forcing his numbnut buddy on us.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

As if this world is not already disappointing enough and our football program is in shambles and we are led by this moron
prh

Post by prh »

prh wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:15 pm At this point, who has hurt our university more, Heeke or Robbins? And we thought the previous president was bad, yikes
I didn't think this would become relevant again so quickly but damn
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

AZCatGirl wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:35 pm

If it's Fisch, I'm seriously done with Arizona football. It's like they're actively trying to kill interest.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

So it's down to a guy who just turned SJSU into an undefeated conference champion, while having recruiting rankings near the bottom of the conference every year. And a guy who is an NFL QB coach for a 6-8 team, and has only been interim head coach for two games at UCLA. Should be a no brainer. Brennan will be the hottest coaching name out there next year. Hire him now! Forget Fisch.

As for Cason, if we have a place for him, maybe as Defensive Backs Coach, that would be great. But zero coaching experience is a recipe for disaster.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Two things real quick:

1) Even with all the crazy smoke coming from every corner of the Internet, my guy still thinks it’s Brennan who gets hired. But nothing is done yet and we could still be on the verge of a very on-brand pooch screwing.

2) Chief has a very serious personality defect. Scheer and Lev and all other media would be smart to pretend like he just doesn’t exist.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Agreed, and yep.

Also, yes.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Hope your right Chi and I thought Chief was a huge supporter of the Sumlin hire?