Arizona football: Four reasons why Rich Rodriguez should not

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

cordera89

Arizona football: Four reasons why Rich Rodriguez should not

Post by cordera89 »

The AzDesertswarm writers was being a bit too nice about it, but the others? Well I will let you read it for yourself, either you agree with the writer or you agree with the others.

http://www.azdesertswarm.com/football/2 ... t-be-fired" target="_blank
Spaceman Spiff

Re: Arizona football: Four reasons why Rich Rodriguez should

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

cordera89 wrote:The AzDesertswarm writers was being a bit too nice about it, but the others? Well I will let you read it for yourself, either you agree with the writer or you agree with the others.

http://www.azdesertswarm.com/football/2 ... t-be-fired" target="_blank
3 of those reasons are in the past and one has yet to occur. That's what jumped out at me.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Larry Smith only had 11 games to play each season, and a FCS team only once every 4. Wasn't 37 bowls either to give everyone a 13th game.

Smith never scheduled 3 cupcakes either. Remember the Notre Dame game? Go Max!
prh

Post by prh »

I really don't want to say anything bad about that article, but there's really no way to describe accurately that doesn't amount to awful. Let's go through those points one by one.

1. The coaching landscape is much different today than ever before. When Stoops was hired, he was one of the hottest assistants out there. Prior to that was Mackovich (as mentioned). The last hire before those two was so long ago it's irrelevant. It's not nearly as hard to hire a good coach as it was decades ago, find a good candidate and throw some money at them. It's not that complicated.

2. Very successful depends on whether you look at the surface or at the real facts. As mentioned, RR has more games to play than every other previous coach. We are also scheduling cupcakes, and have had a losing conference record 4 out of 5 years. Don't try to convince me that conference record is irrelevant. It's the only consistent thing with scheduling. Even if you don't think it matters, it's at least something useful for comparison.

3. The offense is better than it's ever been: have you been in a coma since August? I don't think much needs to be said here. But for those who don't know what they're watching, do not try to play the injury card. We were healthy in the BYU and absolutely atrocious (do not try to bring up Zach. If our offense falls apart because of losing one lineman, sorry but that doesn't get a pass).

4. The author clearly has no understanding of how recruiting works, otherwise he would realize that we always start higher in the rankings and then drop. We will not have a top 25 recruiting class when it's over. And touting that we have the most mid-level recruits in the country is 1) embarrassing and 2) pointless when you consider the early offer pattern of ours.

And if the 4 points weren't bad enough, the conclusion is even worse.
Perhaps Rodriguez’s success has fueled the pretentious notion that Arizona Football is above having a down season. The reality is, it has historically been difficult to maintain a competitive team at Arizona.
Pretentious? On the verge of the only winless conference season in history. That's not pretentious, and it goes beyond the "difficulty maintaining a competitive team."
spurned the temptation to leave
Does not get extra credit for the SC situation.
one difficult, injury-marred season.
Two seasons actually, but who's counting.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

So everyone basically disagree.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

prh wrote:I really don't want to say anything bad about that article, but there's really no way to describe accurately that doesn't amount to awful. Let's go through those points one by one.

1. The coaching landscape is much different today than ever before. When Stoops was hired, he was one of the hottest assistants out there. Prior to that was Mackovich (as mentioned). The last hire before those two was so long ago it's irrelevant. It's not nearly as hard to hire a good coach as it was decades ago, find a good candidate and throw some money at them. It's not that complicated.

2. Very successful depends on whether you look at the surface or at the real facts. As mentioned, RR has more games to play than every other previous coach. We are also scheduling cupcakes, and have had a losing conference record 4 out of 5 years. Don't try to convince me that conference record is irrelevant. It's the only consistent thing with scheduling. Even if you don't think it matters, it's at least something useful for comparison.

3. The offense is better than it's ever been: have you been in a coma since August? I don't think much needs to be said here. But for those who don't know what they're watching, do not try to play the injury card. We were healthy in the BYU and absolutely atrocious (do not try to bring up Zach. If our offense falls apart because of losing one lineman, sorry but that doesn't get a pass).

4. The author clearly has no understanding of how recruiting works, otherwise he would realize that we always start higher in the rankings and then drop. We will not have a top 25 recruiting class when it's over. And touting that we have the most mid-level recruits in the country is 1) embarrassing and 2) pointless when you consider the early offer pattern of ours.

And if the 4 points weren't bad enough, the conclusion is even worse.
Perhaps Rodriguez’s success has fueled the pretentious notion that Arizona Football is above having a down season. The reality is, it has historically been difficult to maintain a competitive team at Arizona.
Pretentious? On the verge of the only winless conference season in history. That's not pretentious, and it goes beyond the "difficulty maintaining a competitive team."
spurned the temptation to leave
Does not get extra credit for the SC situation.
one difficult, injury-marred season.
Two seasons actually, but who's counting.
Bravo, prh. Very well said...

"Spurned the temptation to leave" is actually "chose not to bolt because they would not offer him a pay raise - and he'd make more $$$ with his retention bonus in Tucson".
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

I'm speechless at the downright stupidity in that blog.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Puerco wrote:I'm speechless at the downright stupidity in that blog.
For one, referring to this as a down season is a little laughable.
Abrahamarvel

Re: Arizona football: Four reasons why Rich Rodriguez should not

Post by Abrahamarvel »

It has been a crazy couple of years since RR was fired. Does anyone know what happened to the alleged sexual harassment?
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Abrahamarvel wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:57 pm It has been a crazy couple of years since RR was fired. Does anyone know what happened to the alleged sexual harassment?
Do you really want to know?
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Christ