What names would Robbins force as bball hire?

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

BeardownZonaZona

Re: What names would Robbins force as bball hire?

Post by BeardownZonaZona »

He's likely gone
I said what I said and I mean it.
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

Who would Robbins hire? Who is the college basketball equivalent of Sumlin?
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

The search is done. They have their coached picked and that's why they are announcing it now. They will announce the new coach in 1 to 2 weeks after floating some names around for posterity.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
Basketcats

Post by Basketcats »

OSUCat wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:55 pm The search is done. They have their coached picked and that's why they are announcing it now. They will announce the new coach in 1 to 2 weeks after floating some names around for posterity.
This is probably closer to the truth than many believe.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Adia Barnes.

(Only about 75% joking)
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

So Lloyd?
Basketcats

Post by Basketcats »

Carcassdragger wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:01 pm Adia Barnes.

(Only about 75% joking)
I think that would actually be an interesting choice, however, LadyCats need her. Men's basketball is in the shitter and she has the LadyCats rising quickly. Lets not sink that ship too.
cats101

Post by cats101 »

OSUCat wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:55 pm The search is done. They have their coached picked and that's why they are announcing it now. They will announce the new coach in 1 to 2 weeks after floating some names around for posterity.
Im leaning towards this being true, so one must wonder why they're hiring a coaching firm. We've wasted enough money already
BeardownZonaZona

They probably just hired the search firm so people don't talk shit about Robbins doing it all again, even tho we totally still will
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

So they let their entire roster transfer over the next 2 weeks while they already have a coach lined up?

I mean... I know this administration is stupid but...
BeardownZonaZona

They definitely got someone. Need to announce it asap and allow the new guy to talk to the team and try to keep everyone around
NickyBCats

Post by NickyBCats »

Lloyd is the guy. Got a text this morning that Miller would be canned, Lloyd is the guy, gonna do the song and dance but he’s the man.
BeardownZonaZona

NickyBCats wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:31 pm Lloyd is the guy. Got a text this morning that Miller would be canned, Lloyd is the guy, gonna do the song and dance but he’s the man.
Oh no. I'm sick
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Does Fisch have a brother?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

This makes it sound like Lloyd won't get the Zag job when Few retires since he will no longer be "here".

Gonzaga athletic director Mike Roth told Borzello: "Tommy has it in writing from me and the [university] president that says, as long as he's here, when Mark retires, it's your job. He's got a document. I've got a document. The president's got a document. Our general counsel has a document. It's his job."[6]
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

NickyBCats wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:31 pm Lloyd is the guy. Got a text this morning that Miller would be canned, Lloyd is the guy, gonna do the song and dance but he’s the man.
In terms of influence, “He’s up there,” says Travis Knight, the school’s performance coach. “We always preach ownership, and Tommy owns this program, just as much as Mark does.”

https://www.si.com/college/2021/04/02/g ... e-mark-few
cats101

Post by cats101 »

I'm mixed on this (re: Lloyd). I guess we'll see what happens over the next couple of days.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Is it possible to modify Wikipedia to indicate Tommy Lloyd is the son of Robert Robbins?

I'm so over this cronyism BS with Robbins. It's laughable, but the predictions about some random assistant in this thread totally came true.

We're trading a .730 win %, 4 Elite Eights and 8 conference titles for straight zeros. Fan-frigging-tastic.

I hope he fails.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

cats101

Post by cats101 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:53 pm
Is it possible to modify Wikipedia to indicate Tommy Lloyd is the son of Robert Robbins?

I'm so over this cronyism BS with Robbins. It's laughable, but the predictions about some random assistant in this thread totally came true.

We're trading a .730 win %, 4 Elite Eights and 8 conference titles for straight zeros. Fan-frigging-tastic.

I hope he fails.
Agree, it just doesn't make sense. But I was thinking maybe that's why Robbins waited so long to fire Miller. Fire him after the season good chance a mass exodus happens. Wait until he has "permission" to talk to Lloyd to have at least a very minor chance to field a team next season. Still an odd move for sure
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

It's a state job I think they are required by law to open it up for two weeks...
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I thought I read somewhere that the head coaching position was exempt from the job posting requirements. However, I can't find that right now.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

cats101 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:04 pm
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:53 pm

I hope he fails.
Agree, it just doesn't make sense. But I was thinking maybe that's why Robbins waited so long to fire Miller. Fire him after the season good chance a mass exodus happens. Wait until he has "permission" to talk to Lloyd to have at least a very minor chance to field a team next season. Still an odd move for sure
Actually, I hate that part.

Robbins lied about Miller being our coach and kept players from exploring the opportunities they could have had if he was honest.

A fitting epitaph for Robbins, screwing student athletes for his pet coach.
TheGreatCatsby

Post by TheGreatCatsby »

Where would you put our head coach vacancy on the list of top program job openings? I'd say starting in the top 7-10 nationally range. Ahead of us are the big 4, throw in Michigan and no list is complete of course without an upper East coast team, but then we're right there.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

TheGreatCatsby wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:31 pm Where would you put our head coach vacancy on the list of top program job openings? I'd say starting in the top 7-10 nationally range. Ahead of us are the big 4, throw in Michigan and no list is complete of course without an upper East coast team, but then we're right there.
I dont understand the question? Michigan is not a job opening. We are the best job opening currently.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

TheGreatCatsby wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:31 pm Where would you put our head coach vacancy on the list of top program job openings? I'd say starting in the top 7-10 nationally range. Ahead of us are the big 4, throw in Michigan and no list is complete of course without an upper East coast team, but then we're right there.
How does a top 10 school go after a complete unknown... someone with zero experience or even ties to the school?

If we are a top 10 school someone needs to tell Heeke and Robbins.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Question, do you risk losing your whole team to wait until May 1st when Musselman's buyout goes down in hopes you can wow him to leave? Or do you settle (hard to call it settling when he appears to be choice #1 for dumb and dumber) for Lloyd now?

Musselman is an upgrade at the coaching position that would make this sham process ok, Lloyd to me is Mike Hopkins 2.0 until he proves otherwise.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

So Arizona Football AND Basketball gets to be training wheels for coaches. Hell, let's just fire all our coaches and hire people with no head coaching experience, that's the winning formula!

It's like some sick April Fools joke.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

AZCatGirl wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:38 pm So Arizona Football AND Basketball gets to be training wheels for coaches. Hell, let's just fire all our coaches and hire people with no head coaching experience, that's the winning formula!

Bob Rob had no experience as a President and look at him now! Dave had no experience as a cuck and he is thriving in that role!
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

AZCatGirl wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:38 pm So Arizona Football AND Basketball gets to be training wheels for coaches. Hell, let's just fire all our coaches and hire people with no head coaching experience, that's the winning formula!

Same thing happened in 72/73 I believe with Jim Young and Fred Snowden.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azgreg wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:15 pm
Not sure why Kerr and Walton keep getting mentioned. They have made it very clear that they don't want to deal with the recruiting and NCAA hassles college coaches have to deal with.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

We need someone who doesn’t have to suddenly develop recruiting connections from scratch.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Then you want the Lloyd dude I guesss
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
ekat

Post by ekat »

I bet you guys could convince Robbins to actually hire Shay Binion.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Just amazing how everyone but two people speaks positively about Miller.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Merkin wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:20 pm
Not sure why Kerr and Walton keep getting mentioned. They have made it very clear that they don't want to deal with the recruiting and NCAA hassles college coaches have to deal with.
Plus Walton is an absolutely terrible coach.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Olsondogg wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:32 pm Then you want the Lloyd dude I guesss
I think hiring someone with zero head coaching experience is the height of idiocy. We are not a stepping stone program and we should not be hiring someone with no record of success leading a college team.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Olsondogg wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:59 am
Chicat wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:48 am Whoever gets hired would be wise to keep Jet on staff. Firing Miller AND Terry alienates both eras of basketball team alums.
Murphy too.
If things go the way they look they’re going I’d expect Murphy to be retained. I don’t know about JET, but it’d be different to hold on to two assistants on the old staff.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ChooChooCat wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:48 pm
Olsondogg wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:59 am
Chicat wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:48 am Whoever gets hired would be wise to keep Jet on staff. Firing Miller AND Terry alienates both eras of basketball team alums.
Murphy too.
If things go the way they look they’re going I’d expect Murphy to be retained. I don’t know about JET, but it’d be different to hold on to two assistants on the old staff.
Thank god for small miracles.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Chicat wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:48 pm
I think hiring someone with zero head coaching experience is the height of idiocy. We are not a stepping stone program and we should not be hiring someone with no record of success leading a college team.
What’s your take on UNC hiring Hubert?
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

ChooChooCat wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:52 pm
Not asking me, but I think it was idiocy.

Is it Tommy or bust at this point? Hopefully no serious consideration to these alumni being thrown around (Damon, Pastner, Miles). Any chance at Musselman?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I thought that was a bad move rooted in loyalty and sentimentality, which I can totally understand. Davis did his time. But he should have run his own program at some point, if only for a few years.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

gronk4heisman wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:55 pm
Not asking me, but I think it was idiocy.

Is it Tommy or bust at this point? Hopefully no serious consideration to these alumni being thrown around (Damon, Pastner, Miles). Any chance at Musselman?
If it’s not Lloyd or Damon I’d drop dead of a heart attack in shock. In a normal financial and sanctions situation though I’m 100% confident we could land Muss, but it’s likely he’ll use his name being thrown around as a way to get a raise. Either way this is all a dog and pony show and Arizona has had their guy for weeks now.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Big difference when you've seen a guy for 9 years recruit and coach in your own program. Far fewer questions about how he'll translate. Still think Hubert's risky, but I'm ok with that.

Lloyd here, he's never coached or recruited at a P5 school. So you're hoping he transitions well to that. Arizona's never seen him coach or recruit, so you hope he can do both. He's never been a HC, so you hope he can do that.

Finally, at UNC, Roy retired and they had a vacancy with no choice. Here, we had a choice.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:01 pm
Big difference when you've seen a guy for 9 years recruit and coach in your own program. Far fewer questions about how he'll translate. Still think Hubert's risky, but I'm ok with that.

Lloyd here, he's never coached or recruited at a P5 school. So you're hoping he transitions well to that. Arizona's never seen him coach or recruit, so you hope he can do both. He's never been a HC, so you hope he can do that.

Finally, at UNC, Roy retired and they had a vacancy with no choice. Here, we had a choice.
Lloyd has recruited to what amounts to a power 5 basketball program, which is pretty much at that level primarily because of his recruiting efforts. Gonzaga is literally about to land the #1 player in the class due to his efforts. I understand your other concerns though. Just remember Roy Williams was an assistant at UNC and nothing more before KU hired him.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

ChooChooCat wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:00 pm

If it’s not Lloyd or Damon I’d drop dead of a heart attack in shock.
Can you explain to me... like I'm a 5 year old... how Lloyd could very well become the head coach of a top 10 job without a lick of experience?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:09 pm
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:01 pm

Lloyd has recruited to what amounts to a power 5 basketball program, which is pretty much at that level primarily because of his recruiting efforts. Gonzaga is literally about to land the #1 player in the class due to his efforts. I understand your other concerns though. Just remember Roy Williams was an assistant at UNC and nothing more before KU hired him.
The P5 thing wasn't a dig at Gonzaga's recruiting, as I know they've done well, especially lately.

It's more a comment on the differential in pressure. Lloyd/Few weren't getting fired if they had a blah recruiting class. Like for instance, in 2018, they had the #69 national class by 24/7 rank. At Arizona, P5, #69 nationally can build some heat on you for being a poor recruiter.

I'm also of the opinion P5 players tend to more heavily slant OAD than players who have an interest in Zaga.

Most of all, top 10 programs don't look to career assistants. Roy's an example, but being more than 30 years ago tells you how often it happens.

What I can't get over is the massive difference between Miller and Lloyd. If you're hiring, like KU was to replace Larry Brown...it's less of a comparison to what you had. When you fire Miller to hire Lloyd, direct comparisons are in order, and Miller wins them easily.