Rawle Alkins

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

PennZona20

Re: Rawle Alkins

Post by PennZona20 »

YoDeFoe wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:It’s crazy how staying in school rarely helps a guy’s pro prospects. Rawle likely would’ve been drafted last year. Miles Bridges probably would’ve gone in the top 5. It’s like playing longer in college is a tacit acknowledgment that the guy isn’t really NBA material, or certainly not a future star.

TJ is the exception, of course. But he’s seemingly got more drive than anyone, and he’s also just a very good PG.

Trier and Rawle have a harder path to the NBA now. It’s not impossible, but if Nick Johnson can’t get there, I’m not sure these two can.
There are plenty of exceptions and examples on both sides. Chandler Hutchinson wasn't a draft pick last season. Solomon Hill wouldn't have been as a sophomore. Mikal Bridges rose heavily based on his play this season..
Like Choo said though: you have to show improvement. I feel for the dude with two injuries (the hand in the tournament and then the foot to follow it up) but he never got his weight down to where it needed to be and he didn't improve as a shooter or as a defender. For a guy who needed to project as a classic 3 and D in the NBA - he didn't show scouts that he was moving in that direction. In truth he regressed in just about every category, despite getting a bump in usage.

Totally possible for him to make it off a two way though. He's got great length and strength and a great attitude. Wishing him well.

This is correct almost entirely. But i will add that Rawle made a mistake BECAUSE he regressed and at best was about same. But it was clear he put on some weight and lost some explosiveness. It’s ok if things don’t work out as a soph to get in the lab over the summer and hope for the jump to be a year late. He clearly could have improved and if he did, he’d get more chances to succeed as a 1st rounder as a junior.

Of course watching the train wreck of Trier coming back and basically the optics train wreck at Arizona ...... much like when Bayless left (although bayless has much better pro prospects) ..... i could see him thinking it was time to go, so not a horrible decision in the vain of Grant J, but the wrong one nonetheless.

He seems like a great kid and i hope he finds a way to get to the L and stick, but it’ll be an uphill fight now.

I do think Trier leaving was the right decision as he was pretty maxed out and the NCAA put him thru hell anyway. I really hope he makes it as a scorer off bench.

I just don’t understand why we are so cursed w Early Entries. When is the last time i guy who should stay another year did??? RHJ probably. So many arguably bad ones in between. I love to see guys like Brunson and Bridges (Mikal) succeed as it gives me hope that kids will see it’s ok to stay in school and i hate to see guys like the other bridges and Robert Williams drop so far as it will deter ppl from staying.

Hopefully the baseball modified 2 and done rule will go in effect in 2021 and make it better.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Yep.

https://www.12up.com/posts/6098243-5-on ... -nba-draft" target="_blank

5 One-and-Dones Who Made Huge Mistakes Going Into NBA Draft

Rawle Alkins was not taken in the NBA Draft, but he has recently signed an Exhibit 10 contract with the Toronto Raptors. In short, this means that he got a training camp invite with the Raptors, and if he is put onto their roster, he will receive minimum salary. If he doesn't make the roster, he could still sign with the G-League, and if he does neither of those things, he only gets paid for the training camp. This is a rocky road for Alkins, who, with one more year at Arizona, could've improved his shooting percentages and made sure his foot was back to full health.
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

Am I hallucinating that Rawle Alkins played 2 years at U of A?

In what universe is TWO YEARS considered 'One-and-Done'?
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

RichardCranium wrote:Am I hallucinating that Rawle Alkins played 2 years at U of A?

Well he disappeared in games this year so maybe they didn't notice he played 2 years? Sorry, that was a little bit of a cheap shot.

In all seriousness, I hope Rawle makes it.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

RichardCranium wrote:Am I hallucinating that Rawle Alkins played 2 years at U of A?

Yeah, that article is really dumb. Do a little bit of research, for goodness sake.

I hope Rawle makes it. He has the tools. Hopefully he has a healthy stretch and the drive to improve what needs improving.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Rawle would have been drafted last year after that combine effort. Shame. Raptors stole a hell of a player
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Chicat wrote:
Chicat wrote:
Chicat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
ByJoveByJingle wrote:Do you really think Rawle’s decision process was (or should be) based on whether he would make the Wildcats a better team next year? Come on . . .
Not at all. He should do what he wants and what he thinks is best for himself. I was just addressing the posts about the Wildcats being better off without him.
Which posts?
Which posts?
Hey Machina!

Which posts?
Which posts?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

2-way contract with Bulls. With him and Lauri, looks like I'm a Bulls fan this season!
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

First NBA points tonight!
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I’ve never heard of a guy getting his eyebrows waxed except of course for unibrows.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

1) I feel bad for rawle

2) that salon made one hell of a stupid decision letting this go publicly to court
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I saw on Queer Eye that salons wax away those hairs as thick as fish bones that start growing inside your ears around the age of 25. By the time you're 40, they're thick and furious and you've lost the game.

Personally, I prefer to pull them up by the root one by one with tweezers. As soon as the microscopic tip of a new hair emerges, I depilate it. It kills the follicle before it has a chance to mature into the kind of thick centipede legs that grow in the ears of men who decided, "You know what? I'm just going to let myself go and pretend I don't see women and children stare at the side of my head in horrified wonder."

What do you do about your ear hairs?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I’m a plucker.

Whenever I’ve used my nose hair trimmer to cut them short they just come back bigger and badder. So you have to pull them out by the root like weeds.

And yeah, I’ll never just let the old ear hair go. I’ll be the king of Sunnyside Acres Retirement Community with my clean ears and tons of home grown weed to smoke.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Chicat wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:48 am I’m a plucker.

Whenever I’ve used my nose hair trimmer to cut them short they just come back bigger and badder. So you have to pull them out by the root like weeds.

And yeah, I’ll never just let the old ear hair go. I’ll be the king of Sunnyside Acres Retirement Community with my clean ears and tons of home grown weed to smoke.
Ummm...this officially falls under the response: TMI.

:lol:
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Smooth as a baby's ear! I'm big on the nose trimmer inside the nose, but you don't want to mow your ears. Ears like rough sandpaper is the worst, and 5 o'clock shadow in your ears is just as noticeable as letting the weeds grow.

As time goes by, the fishbone-thick ear hairs come to grow within, without, and on the apex of every cartilage-supported ridge of the ear. It also grows on the plane of the earlobe. Every man should perform a thorough probe every day, and remove any incipient breaches. Even if they're invisible, they run deep within the skin. As you pluck one, there's an audible snap and then an almost squeaking sound of non-trivial duration as you pull it out of its pore.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

EastCoastCat wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:33 am

Just wait until I send you the PowerPoint detailing my pubic hair regimen. Look in your PMs later today.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Longhorned wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:17 am

I braid mine.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Chicat wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:14 am
EastCoastCat wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:33 am

Just wait until I send you the PowerPoint detailing my pubic hair regimen. Look in your PMs later today.
I forgot we lost that thread when we left the old boards.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

My eyes are still watering from the nose hairs I ripped out yesterday
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

No no no Jefe.

Trim your nose hairs.
Pluck your ear hairs.
Shave your unibrow.
Eat at Arby’s.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Noted. And yes that $3 gyro they have is damn good! Ohhh curly fries
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

This thread is making it easy for me to go on my diet which starts tonight.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Longhorned wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:17 am Personally, I prefer to pull them up by the root one by one with tweezers. As soon as the microscopic tip of a new hair emerges, I depilate it. It kills the follicle before it has a chance to mature into the kind of thick centipede legs that grow in the ears of men who decided, "You know what? I'm just going to let myself go and pretend I don't see women and children stare at the side of my head in horrified wonder."
I applaud this wholeheartedly. Of the few allowable manifestations of male vanity this is an important hinge point that determines whether late in life you will lapse into farting in elevators around nuns and children or scratching your genitals while the hostess walks your family to the table. Besides, it helps train the fine muscles of the eyes and improves hand coordination.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Chicat wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:14 am Just wait until I send you the PowerPoint detailing my pubic hair regimen.
Partially due to the thread at TOS, but more due to that I used to play racquetball a lot at the university I worked for in the student rec center, and noticed that when showering, I noticed that one of my other old dude racquetball friends had a huge hairy pubic area since at the time they had only gang showers. I thought to myself, is that me? Do the students think that about me?

Ever since then, although retired from work and rball, I still manscape. Just like the way it looks.

Also asked one of my female coworkers who also worked out at the rec center about the coeds, and about their trimming. She said that no, there are not near as many bald females as there are on the internet.

Later the rec center rebuilt and took out gang showers, and put in individual ones.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Longhorned wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:17 am I saw on Queer Eye that salons wax away those hairs as thick as fish bones that start growing inside your ears around the age of 25. By the time you're 40, they're thick and furious and you've lost the game.

Personally, I prefer to pull them up by the root one by one with tweezers. As soon as the microscopic tip of a new hair emerges, I depilate it. It kills the follicle before it has a chance to mature into the kind of thick centipede legs that grow in the ears of men who decided, "You know what? I'm just going to let myself go and pretend I don't see women and children stare at the side of my head in horrified wonder."

I pluck this shit every day - it drives me nuts :lol: 36 years old, been doing it for the last five years
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Merkin wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:10 pm
Chicat wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:14 am Just wait until I send you the PowerPoint detailing my pubic hair regimen.
Partially due to the thread at TOS, but more due to that I used to play racquetball a lot at the university I worked for in the student rec center, and noticed that when showering, I noticed that one of my other old dude racquetball friends had a huge hairy pubic area since at the time they had only gang showers. I thought to myself, is that me? Do the students think that about me?

Ever since then, although retired from work and rball, I still manscape. Just like the way it looks.

Also asked one of my female coworkers who also worked out at the rec center about the coeds, and about their trimming. She said that no, there are not near as many bald females as there are on the internet.

Later the rec center rebuilt and took out gang showers, and put in individual ones.
A) you’d probably get fired for asking that now.

B) maybe the coed wore Merkins

C) sorry, I had to make some comment
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Also TMI Merk
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

You guize are amatuers. Whaddya do about ass crack hairs?

And what does it have to do with Rawle?
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

Not to change the subject or anything but Rawle Alkins has recentlysigned on, to play next season, with BC Dnipro of the Ukranian Superleague. Good chance he will run into Kyryl Natyazhko somewhere around town.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

He did get a cup of coffee in the league, but a good example of a player who should have stayed another year. Another 5 star that didn't pan out.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

I always thought he was a tweener. Not smooth enough or good enough shooter to play guard and not tall enough to play it snide, as a pro.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

I was an early advocate for Rawle after watching him in a high school showcase. Was stoked when he committed to Arizona in what felt like an “out of thin air” recruitment.

But man, Rawle’s lack of progress between his freshman and sophomore years… ruined my love for that dude. I couldn’t forgive him for it.

Unpopular opinion, I’m sure. He’s a fan favorite and I wish him no ill will. But he broke my heart.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Postmaster wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 12:10 am I always thought he was a tweener. Not smooth enough or good enough shooter to play guard and not tall enough to play it snide, as a pro.
Yeah, I don't think another year changes much for Rawle. He was never super quick or explosive, and more of a power guy. That doesn't work as well at the next level when the average strength and size goes up.

His shooting and ballhandling were always just ok. He sort of played bullyball, but in the NBA, you have to be much bigger and stronger like Julius Randle or Zion to make that work. Power guards really haven't been a thing since the 90's.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 4:41 pm I was an early advocate for Rawle after watching him in a high school showcase. Was stoked when he committed to Arizona in what felt like an “out of thin air” recruitment.

But man, Rawle’s lack of progress between his freshman and sophomore years… ruined my love for that dude. I couldn’t forgive him for it.

Unpopular opinion, I’m sure. He’s a fan favorite and I wish him no ill will. But he broke my heart.
Dunno. I have a hard time just because he had bad luck with injuries. The broken finger for Xavier his freshman year, the the late start as a soph due to the broken foot.

I agree he was basically the same as a soph, but I don't know how much was because the foot really derailed that year. A broken foot is a tough injury because it kills your conditioning.
WildcatStunner

Post by WildcatStunner »

I also felt there was some chemistry issues between him and Trier. Just pure speculation on my part from watching them play together.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

Rawle needed to model his game after Rhondae Hollis-Jefferson. It's the only way Rawle would ever stay in the league. Needed to become the defensive, go-to stopper on the team. RHJ knew his offensive game was never going to be NBA level, so he worked hard to become the best defensive player in the league. RHJ is never going to be an all-star, but he's made a good living in the Association.

Rawle is a better offensive player than RHJ, but the difference isn't enough for Rawle to make it to the NBA without being a great defender. And it's on that end of the floor I don't think Rawle put in the effort. Or maybe Rawle just isn't athletic enough? Either way, I'm not surprised Rawle has ended up playing overseas. And unless he was willing to put in the effort to become a great defender, don't think another year in Tucson would have made much of a difference.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I didn't think Trier got along with anyone on the team. Don't think any of them were sad when he left.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Merkin wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:18 am I didn't think Trier got along with anyone on the team. Don't think any of them were sad when he left.
Trier just never passed the ball in transition (especially to Rawle) and it made him look like a ridiculous ball hog.

The reality was: Neither guard passed the ball in transition (each had only 12 transition assists that final season). But Trier had 107 total assists his junior year with a 1.7 A:TO in the half court - that's excellent for a scoring guard - while Rawle had more turnovers than assists. Moreover, Trier had the same usage % as Rawle (yes, really) and had nearly double his assists. And when Trier shot the ball it was a heck of a lot more likely to go in (damn near put up a 50 / 40/ 90 that last season). Rawle was comparatively inefficient and highly turnover prone but he had a usage that matched Trier's.

From what I could tell, nobody had a real problem on that team except for Trier and Rawle (Trier is still close with PJC, Dylan, Ayton - among others, based on social media). My personal belief is Trier didn't see Rawle as a hard worker and held it against him. But maybe I'm projecting.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:50 am
Merkin wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:18 am I didn't think Trier got along with anyone on the team. Don't think any of them were sad when he left.
Trier just never passed the ball in transition (especially to Rawle) and it made him look like a ridiculous ball hog.

The reality was: Neither guard passed the ball in transition (each had only 12 transition assists that final season). But Trier had 107 total assists his junior year with a 1.7 A:TO in the half court - that's excellent for a scoring guard - while Rawle had more turnovers than assists. Moreover, Trier had the same usage % as Rawle (yes, really) and had nearly double his assists. And when Trier shot the ball it was a heck of a lot more likely to go in (damn near put up a 50 / 40/ 90 that last season). Rawle was comparatively inefficient and highly turnover prone but he had a usage that matched Trier's.

From what I could tell, nobody had a real problem on that team except for Trier and Rawle (Trier is still close with PJC, Dylan, Ayton - among others, based on social media). My personal belief is Trier didn't see Rawle as a hard worker and held it against him. But maybe I'm projecting.
Bluntly, Trier seemed like a Kobe mentality in the positive and negative sense. Positively, everyone always thought Zo busted his ass and held himself to really high standards.

Negatively, Zo wasn't always the easiest player to mesh with. He was an efficient, great scorer, but not a style that lent itself to love from teammates, even if his numbers weren't bad. He got Westbrook assist numbers is how I'd put it.

But watch Malice at the Palace. Hell, maybe they just didn't click on a personal level. We forget players are human. They may just have disliked each other based on personality or off court stuff.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

One time Ryan Anderson brought Trier and Ray Smith to church with him.
I say only to show that trier got along with some players.

From watching games it seemed like they didn’t get along. (Trier and Alkins)

As an aside, did you all know that rawle learned to shoot from watching YouTube videos and that’s why he shoots left handed?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Postmaster wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:07 pm One time Ryan Anderson brought Trier and Ray Smith to church with him.
I say only to show that trier got along with some players.
Or that Anderson thought divine intervention was needed to get Allonzo to pass the ball.

Joking, I always thought Trier got too much hate here. He had a star crossed career, but a lot of that wasn't his doing.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Trier sort of annoyed me near the end because I felt he started relying on a fall back jumper that didn’t go in a lot.
Don’t know if he wore down or was trying to up his draft stock.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

You think Alkins is pissed we are making Trier posts in his thread?