Soccer thread (Champions League • PL • La Liga • Euros etc)

Futbol/Soccer, Golf, Cricket, Motor Sports, or anything else

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Catintheheat

Re: Soccer thread (Champions League • PL • La Liga • Euros etc)

Post by Catintheheat »

This has been a very high level match so far in the first half. Consider 8 of the Mexico players played in the last gold cup final and only 3 US players. The US is so young but still good. Very fast game. Entertaining.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

Congratulations to the US for winning the Gold Cup. Acosta has surprised me, especially during the last 3 matches. Turner was amazing. But the best player of the tournament has to be Miles Robinson. I am sure he will make the “A” team. The US has arrived.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

The USA B- team just beat Mexico's A- team in a Cup Final. That has to sting if you're Mexico.

Great experience for a lot of young US players. Many of whom had never experienced anything like this is an USA kit. Will help us build depth going forward, and feel comfortable calling on some of these players to be on some qualifying rosters.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

I figured it was time to predict who will be on the USMNT for WCQ starting in a couple of weeks.

Goalkeepers: Zack Steffen, Evan Horvath, Matt Turner.

I believe Steffen will start but I'd be okay with any of them. Matt Turner is by far the best shot stopper, but doesn't play well with his feet.

Center-backs: John Brooks, Miles Robinson, Mark McKenzie, Chris Richards, Tim Ream

John Brooks starts and not sure who the other starter will be. Chris Richards hasn't played much lately. He plays for Munich-Bayern in the Bundesliga and needs to find a way to play. I'd choose Miles Robinson after the way he played in the gold cup. Ream shouldn't be here but I believe Berhalter will add him. Chris Richards is the center back with the most potential. Walker Zimmerman is another option but he is just coming off an injury. James Sands is another option but I am putting him as a back-up defensive midfielder to Tyler Adams.

Full-backs: Sergino Dest (starting right back), Anfornee Robinson (starting left back), Reggie Cannon, DeAndre Yedlin, Sam Vines

Dest is very technical. His biggest problem is he doesn't want to play defense. Yedlin has experience playing in Concacaf. Away games are brutal. You have to have cajones to succeed. Vines will mix it up too. Another option is Shaq Moore, who is able to press some. George Bello is a possibility too.

Midfielders: Tyler Adams, Weston McKennie, Gio Reyna, Sebastion Lleget, Kellyn Acosta, James Sands

Gio Reyna needs to play the 10 (attacking midfield). That is what he is playing at Dortmund. If you play him at wing forward, you are hamstringing half his skills. Everyone talks about Pulisic but I believe Reyna has the greatest potential. McKennie is an enforcer, a warrior. He plays for Juventus in Serie A. He will mix it up. I'm not a big fan of Sebastian Lletget, but he is a Berhalter favorite. He doesn't press forward and stops momentum at times, preferring to side and backwards pass. He is decent on defending, but the US has so much talent in forwards and attacking midfielders I find him a liability. Acosta earned his spot with the excellent play in the knockout rounds during the gold cup. He has been inconsistent though. I hope he has worked his way through bad matches. Sands is a utility player who can play the 6 and center-back. Yunus Mussah is just coming off an injury or he would be part of this roster. I believe in the future we are going to see Caden Clark at the 10. Don't count out Julian Green either. If Jackson Yueill makes the roster I will scream. He has been lousy during Olympic qualifying, Nation's League, and Gold Cup. His run with the USMNT should be over. Luca de la Torre could be on this roster too.

Forward Wingers: Christian Pulisic, Konrad de la Fuente, Brendon Aaronson, Tim Weah, Paul Arriola.

I would not choose Arriola. There is so much talent on the wing for the US. But Berhalter has his favorites and is stubborn. I have a feeling it will be Pulisic and Reyna on the wings (for now).

Strikers: Josh Sargent, Theoson "Pefok" Siebatcheu, Gyasi Zardes

I am happy that Sargent was signed by Norwich City in the EPL. Definitely a good move and much better than Werder Bremen. Zardes may not have the talent but he does play hard. I would love to see Matthew Hoppe but he has been sick and is trying to find a team better than Schalke. He is a warrior and loves to press the ball. He may not be on the roster in September but will be a force on the USMNT. My thoughts on Daryl Dike has diminished. But he played injured. He is a player to keep an eye on.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

I agree with Reyna and the potential. It’s going to be fascinating to see him play over the next 15 years.

Darryl might look very different when he’s getting service from McKennie and Adams in the midfield and Pulisic, Reyna and Weah in the attacking midfield. So that might be something to watch/look for.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Werner 89’ sub in made me laugh
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

SCCats wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:18 am Werner 89’ sub in made me laugh
I am a big Chelsea fan. Werner couldn't score a goal if he was solo with the net wide open. But he would look good while on the drive. Havertz is, by far, the best German player on the team, if not in Europe.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

I have some news of the USMNT players for the 3 fans who are interest.

Christian Pulisic has COVID. He was vaccinated so it shouldn't be a problem. He may miss the El Salvador match for WCQ because they won't allow any person who tests COVID Positive to enter the country.

Paul Arriola is injured and will probably miss the first round of WCQ (no big loss). He missed a point blank 1-on-1 shot in the Gold Cup. I am not impressed. Granted he was coming off a different injury but you can't miss the bunnies in soccer.

Gyasi Zardes is injured so will probably miss the first round of WCQ.

Matthew Hoppe isn't going to Everton of the EPL and will stay at Schalke F.C. I do not understand why Hoppe signed a new contract with Schalke, who is division 2 of the Bundesliga. He could have landed at a much better club. Maybe that frees him up to join the WCQ team as a striker, or forward.

It appears Weston McKennie could be leaving Juventus. He was on loan to Juventus last season, but impressed the management so much that he was signed to contract in July. Now it appears they don't want him because they have an Italian player at the same position. Tottenham and Bayern Munich have shown interest. Either one would be a good choice. Both would be a good fit. Bayern Munich is a blue blood and he would have to fight for PT. McKennie is a dog and would relish the competition, especially because he is a dog. I have no doubt it would make him a better player. But Tottenham is a quality team where he could receive more PT at the start. I would love to see him at Tottenham because I am selfish and can follow him more in the EPL.

I am hearing the WCQ squad will be announced Thursday. Berhalter does change but is too slow to do so. I wouldn't be surprised at some Berhalter favorites who are bad choices for the roster.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

a
Last edited by Catintheheat on Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

There are head scratchers on this roster. Tim Ream over Chris Richards? Richards plays for Bayern Munich, the wealthiest club in the Budesliga. I guess because he doesn't start he isn't worth being on the roster. Even though the two players who play above him are world class players. Christian Roldan over Luca de la Torre or Julian Green? I would not have chosen Jordan Pefok (Sebachu) at striker over Matthew Hoppe. I really like Konrad de la Fuente was called up. He has played great to start the system. Ricardo Pepi I also like. He can finish and scored more the Zardes (injured) in MLS. Berhalter is probably going to start Sebastian Lletget in the midfield instead of Gio Reyna or even Brendon Aaronson. If that is the case we won't have any creative midfielders. I would start Reyna at midfield and Konrad de la Fuenta as a wing forward.

WCQ team is playing 3 games in 6 days so expect a lot of the team to see PT. USMNT has depth but it could have been better. The USMNT has 11 players who play in the big 5 leagues in Europe. I can't wait for the start of WCQ next week.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

MIS vs Liga MX all-star game highlights. There are a lot of players on the USMNT team roster playing in this game. I am so impressed with Matt Turner and believe if he could play with his feet he would be world class. Nevertheless, IMO, Turner should start for the USMNT in WCQ.

The game is played in Los Angeles. And with proper audio equipment you can capture the emotion of the crowd. MLS is getting better, and the US has a fan following, especially with Gen Z. MLS is on the rise but their still not a destination league.

EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Arsenal is big, stinking hot mess…
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

That Kai goal was…wow!!
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

SCCats wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:58 am That Kai goal was…wow!!
That was a fantastic match. Best of the weekend. I thought Reece James getting the red card for a hand ball was going to be the end for Chelsea for this game. The fact that they held on with one player down for all the second half says a lot. Getting a result with Liverpool at Anfield is a win. I love Havertz, Mount, Lakuku, and Pulisic. It is why Chelsea is favored this season to win the EPL. Add Kante to the mix, who I believe is the best soccer player in the world right now, and that team is special. Liverpool is not chop liver.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

Tim Weah is going to miss WCQ with a thigh injury.

If you want to know about 18 year old Ricardo Pepi this is a good video that breaks down his skills. The guy has an incredibly high soccer IQ, is really skilled. One think this video doesn't show enough is fast he can turn and how he can play in tight spaces. He may be the best teenager to ever play in the MLS, and he isn't that far from being a world class player. I believe he will be the best striker for the USMNT very soon.

SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Waking up this morning and reading about how the end of the transfer window went down, it’s dawning on me that, after 19 years, I’m might no longer be a Barca fan. Weird feeling.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

Game day! The US vs. El Salvador match is on CBS Sports Network, Paramount+, or Universo (Spanish).

Zack Steffen has back spams and Christian Pulisic (COVID) did not make the trip to Estadio Cuscatlan (stadium). Now that Pulisic and Weah are out I wonder if Reyna will have to play as a winger instead of an attacking midfielder. He plays attacking midfield at Dortmund this season.

The USMNT has so many young players who haven't experienced games on the road where the home fans are brutal. They will call in the middle night or play loud music about the hotel. The grass at the stadium will be tall and unkempt, bags of urine will be thrown at the players. This will happen in all Central American countries.

I'm not sure whether the USMNT will play a 4-3-3 or 3-4-3.

My starting lineup for 4-3-3:

Goal Keeper: Matt Turner (already announced)
Center Back: John Brooks, Miles Robinson (wouldn't mind Walker Zimmerman)
Full Back: Sergino Dest, DeAndre Yedlin. Gregg will probably pick Antonee Robinson. But Robinson has not impressed when in the USMNT (Dest hasn't either). I chose Yedlin because of experience with playing on the road in CONCACAF. I wouldn't mind George Bello starting either.
Defensive Midfielder: Tyler Adams
Box-to-Box Midfielder: Weston McKennie (McKennie is versatile. He can do a lot and he is a dog. He loves to fight).
Attacking Midfielder: Gio Reyna Reyna has been playing attacking midfielder for Dortmund this season. Reyna is on the verge of being a world class player already. And he is only 18. We may have to play Reyna at winger because of injuries. In that case I would put Aaronson at the 10 (attacking midfielder), yet I believe Gregg will play (back passing Lletget).
Wing Forwards: Brenden Aaronson, Konrad de la Fuente. Gregg will probably start Reyna as a wing forward instead of de la Fuente.
Striker: Josh Sargent. IMO, Sargent is on probation and needs to perform. Pepi is raw but skilled. Matthew Hoppe just transferred to Malloica in La Liga.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

Ugly game tonight. But a point on the road in CONCACAF qualifying is never a bad result. Too many missed chances, poor first touches, and sloppy ball handling. Still, consider it mission accomplished. We got our point.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

I think there was too much individual play. The inexperience of the team showed. It was also a weird lineup.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

It was unwatchable frankly.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

Hopefully Pulisic will be ready to go against Canada. That should help. We also did a very poor job finishing. A couple of headers over the bar, and a few just a little wide. Connect on one, and we leave ES with 3 points. El Salvador really had only one good chance, with the header over the bar, and a decent one on the other corner that turned out to be an easy save. We were the better side, but given the fact it was C. America, CONCACAF qualifying, 30,000 fans against us, and a referee itching to blow the whistle every time an ES player fell down, I'll take the point and be happy. Get four more points out of the next two games and we're in good shape. Survive and advance.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

84Cat wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:58 am
Add to that Gio Reyna injured his hamstring, and Sergino Dest sprained his ankle. Weston McKennie was in street clothes because he broke team policy.

USMNT has not looked good in either game. Sure, there is bad luck but we still have the talent. I believe the majority of the blame is on Berhalter. The USMNT won this summer on a multitude of 1-0 games. Berhalter was fired from Bundesliga 2 because his teams couldn't score.

Bizarre moves. For example in the game of El Salvador why would you play Aaronson as a midfielder 8 when he has never played that position before. And yet put Reyna on the wing when he's been playing an attacking midfielder all season.

In game 2 Berhalter didn't start subbing until the 80th minute (except for Yedlin when Dest was injured). Can't the USMNT ever get a break and hire a quality coach?
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

The last two matches for the USMNT has really tempered my expectations. IMO, the USMNT is more talented than any other team in CONCACAF. Only Mexico can challenge that claim, but the main core of their team is aging.

I am really disappointed for the first two matches. And it isn't just Berhalter, but the attitude of some players on the team. McKennie is a professional and he knew how important the game against Canada was. Now is not the time to break team policy. He is not mature enough to understand when you have to be at your best. He let the team down.

I also believe some other players were too selfish. But I believe with a good coach this doesn't have to be the case. I've only seriously started following soccer for a couple years, yet right now I'd be a better tactical coach than Berhalter. I heard his brother helped in get the position. Whatever! But the results speak for themself.

1. The USMNT did win the Nation's League and Gold Cup this summer. But it sure wasn't on scoring. Many 1-0 wins. Luck had a huge factor, and we won on talent. But it sure wasn't coaching.

2. The USMNT can choose up to 30 players for their camp, but only chose 26? Why? I don't understand why Berhalter didn't choose 30 players to be ready to play. And I especially don't understand why players weren't added to the club when there were injuries. Timothy Weah could have been replaced. And the team is short of midfielders. It boggles my mind why Julian Green and Luca de la Torre weren't called up.

3. A big thing I'm really concerned about right now. When David Ochoa was on the Nation's League team Berhalter didn't play him. He didn't even play Ochoa for the friendlies. Consequently, Ochoa now will play the the Mexican National Team. Now we have Ricardo Pepi, who chose to play for the US and is on the USMNT roster. He is a great 18 year old player with tons of potential. If Berhalter doesn't play Pepi Wednesday he will not be cap-tied and can decide to play for Mexico. If Pepi is treated right than the USMNT will have a shot of turning dual citizen Julian Araujo back to the US team. He plays full-back and IMO, would be starter for the USMNT with Dest as full-backs. If Berhalter screws this up he could put the USMT back for a decade. Yunus Mussah isn't cap-tied either and there is no excuse for that. Fan excitement is high right now, but it isn't guaranteed.

4. Tactical decisons. Berhalter has a plan A and when it isn't working he is very slow to adjust. I strongly believe teams should play to the talent they have and play players at their strongest positions when possible. Also, some times you need to mix it up. If plan A isn't working substitute players and change the tactics. Stir it up with players who throw wrenches into the strategy. As I mentioned in my last post I have no idea why Berhalter didn't play Reyna as attacking midfielder. That is Reyna's strength. And I have a philosophy where people should nurture their strengths (or talents), and working to build up weaknesses isn't a good strategy. Using the utility theory I believe the team would get more value when players play to their talents. Dest is playing the wrong side as full-back.

5. Berhalther is awful at managing a game. He doesn't seem to understand the concept of strategy. You do not substitute players at the 83th minute of a tie game you need to wind. Mind boggling! If I needed the win I would substitute players who could create. Lletget and Acosta are not good substitutions. Neither of them can create. I can understand reasons why players are chosen. For example, being on the team to coach and motivate younger players.

If Berhalter loses or ties Honduras I want to see him gone. 5 points is disappointing in this 3 game pod for the USMNT, even with all the injuries. This is the easiest pod and I was expecting 7 points minimum. If the USMNT gets 3 points out of this 3 game stretch I won't expect the USMNT to qualify for the World Cup (even with their talent). And I will be calling for Berhalter's head.

After watching the first couple games of qualifiers for the World Cup, my expectations for this team has been shattered. Pieces need to be put back together and a coach who understands the team concept. I want Berhalter gone now. But if he makes the right decisions I will give him a leash. I am not confident. And who would replace Berhalter.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

Not getting the W at home hurts. But still plenty of soccer to play. But we're now in a position where we need 3 points at Honduras. And it's never easy winning on the road in CONCACAF qualifying. If we do win, we're back on schedule. Tie or lose, and we can start thinking about the panic button.
legallykenny

Post by legallykenny »

Catintheheat wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:20 am I have some news of the USMNT players for the 3 fans who are interest.

Christian Pulisic has COVID. He was vaccinated so it shouldn't be a problem. He may miss the El Salvador match for WCQ because they won't allow any person who tests COVID Positive to enter the country.

Paul Arriola is injured and will probably miss the first round of WCQ (no big loss). He missed a point blank 1-on-1 shot in the Gold Cup. I am not impressed. Granted he was coming off a different injury but you can't miss the bunnies in soccer.

Gyasi Zardes is injured so will probably miss the first round of WCQ.

Matthew Hoppe isn't going to Everton of the EPL and will stay at Schalke F.C. I do not understand why Hoppe signed a new contract with Schalke, who is division 2 of the Bundesliga. He could have landed at a much better club. Maybe that frees him up to join the WCQ team as a striker, or forward.

It appears Weston McKennie could be leaving Juventus. He was on loan to Juventus last season, but impressed the management so much that he was signed to contract in July. Now it appears they don't want him because they have an Italian player at the same position. Tottenham and Bayern Munich have shown interest. Either one would be a good choice. Both would be a good fit. Bayern Munich is a blue blood and he would have to fight for PT. McKennie is a dog and would relish the competition, especially because he is a dog. I have no doubt it would make him a better player. But Tottenham is a quality team where he could receive more PT at the start. I would love to see him at Tottenham because I am selfish and can follow him more in the EPL.

I am hearing the WCQ squad will be announced Thursday. Berhalter does change but is too slow to do so. I wouldn't be surprised at some Berhalter favorites who are bad choices for the roster.
Hahahahahahah at the idea of McKennie going to Bayern or Tottenham. Those teams actually have scouts that will have seen him play, and there's no way they would take him. He's just not very good. It's not exactly a coincidence that the year that Juventus lost their Serie A title streak is the year they relied on him to be a significant contributor.

I hope the rumors about why he got shipped out are true. Would really put a nice bow around the total shit show that is this program.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

That first half of the Honduras was absolutely terrible. Nothing looked good. The 5221 with these players is a joke. I’m not sure what they are trying to do. It’s like possession long ball to the other team.

I like Berhalter, but man, I can’t excuse any of the past 3 games. This is probably the product of playing around too much with rosters and formations that these guys have no idea how to play with each other.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

Ricardo Pepi! Wow! 1 goal, 1 assist. What a way to debut for the USMNT for this 18 year old. He needs to be the starting striker for USMNT from now on. I believe this cap-ties him to the USMNT.

Tyler Adams is special and he is the best player on the team. He defends ferociously and is money with long passes.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

The panic button was lit and the finger was hovering over it after '45 minutes. But when we were having heartburn, a big dose of Pepi and 4 goals in a half! Pepi played a role in all 4 of them too. He played great. Man of the match.

Didn't get what we wanted the first 3 games, but 5 points is what we needed. And Berhalter gets to keep his job.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

This is the "A" team I'd like to see starting during next pod of qualifying.

Goal Keeper: Zach Steffen . Although I don't have a problem with any of our GK starting.

Center-Backs: Chris Richards, Miles Robinson. John Brooks has been disappointing. His head doesn't seem to be in the game. If he doesn't want to play don't play him.

Full-Backs: Sergino Dest, Antonee Robinson. Dest hasn't looked good, but Berhalter keeps playing him on his weak side of the field. Keep it simple Gregg. I believe Julian Araujo would start at Full-Back, or at least be one of the top 3 players. But, he is a dual national and it appears he is going to play for the Mexican National Team. Not cap-tied yet.

Midfielders: Tyler Adams, Yunus Musah, Gio Reyna. McKennie needs to grow up. He has a responsibility to follow the rules for the team. He didn't do so and didn't follow the COVID protocol. He let the team down.

Wing Forwards: Christian Pulisic, Matthew Hoppe. Both are incredibly creative. Hoppe could easily be fighting with Pepi as the #1 striker. He is so dynamic on the pitch and is a fighter. I can't see him being off the field for long. He has the "it" factor. I wouldn't have a problem with Brenden Aaronson, Tim Weah, or Konrad de le Fuente starting.

Striker: Ricardo Pepi. No brainer. Although Matthew Hoppe is very creative. He'd be the backup to Pepi. Josh Sargent has been disappointing for the USMNT all year. Not sure if I'd put him on the team. Zardes, Pefok, Gioacchini, or Dike are possibilities.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gregg Berhalter hung on to his job today. He tinkers with the lineup too much. Many times players were playing out of position where they normally play. Why in the world would you play Tyler Adams on the wing when he is one of the best box-to-box midfielders in Budesliga, He has his favorite players and plays them when there is better talent available. Why doesn't he include a full roster for WCQ, why didn't he replace Reyna when Reyna went down. He overplayed his starters during Canada when he could have used his depth.

IMO, the USMNT should stick to the 4-3-3. There needs to be consistency in the style of play. Players keep having to play roles they aren't comfortable playing. Play the players where they belong. There should be a structure on the roles played, so everyone on the team understands what is expected of them. No more experimentation on playing players out of position. And for heaven's sake, be aware of the time on the clock so you can substitute around the 60th minute to bring in fresh legs. No excuse when you have the depth.

Berhalter:
- Not an "X/O" coach.
- A lot of his decision making is head scratching.
- Plays favorites too much when there are more skilled players available
- Stubborn and won't adjust when necessary
- Seems to hold vendettas on players.
legallykenny

Post by legallykenny »

AzCatFan2 wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:50 pm And Berhalter gets to keep his job.
This is not a good thing.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

Catintheheat - Good Stuff.

Last Qualifying Pod: I'm not sure what Berhalter was trying to do with this first Pod. It really was unlike the previous two tournaments. Playing at El Salvador for the first game required experience fighters LJet/Acosta/etc.

Berhalter: In general Catintheheat, you can pretty use the same list for any US Head Coach. As a Crew fan, I followed Columbus Crew when Berhalter took over. I loved his approach to the game, how hard the players worked, and the cohesiveness. I liked Berhalter being hired and I still have not soured on him. Heck, I believe Berhalter has won more tournaments in the last three years than the last two coaches combined. Anyways, this playing with the formation isn't something he normally does, but it appears that hes trying to do to fit the best players. Specifically, the five back and RWB/LWB with Dest/Yedlin/Robinson. Dest wouldn't be the first RB/RWB thats playing LB. These guys are more wingers than defenders, so Berhalter has tried to get it to work. It just doesn't. I hope Berhalter will stop playing with the 5-back formation and hope that Dest/Robinson can defend the wings.

Next Pod: I might be wrong, but isn't the next Qualifying Pod going to be mostly MLSers but with like Hoppe and a few others? I thought I read it somewhere.

Keeper: Turner, better shot blocker than Steffan.
Center-Backs: Chris Richards, Miles Robinson.
Full-Backs: Sergino Dest, Antonee Robinson. I have no idea why people like Dest. Sure he has speed and can get forward but he just keeps playing hero ball and gets the ball stolen. I haven't be impressed at all, but still probably better than Yeldin.
Midfielders: Tyler Adams, Yunus Musah, Gio Reyna. Keep McKennie out for a bit. Adams is such a key for this team.
Wing Forwards: Christian Pulisic, Tim Weah. I think Aaronson needs to be the super sup. He is a relentless presser, but it leaves the RB with more pressure on defense. If he comes in when people are tired, he can change the game. I like Hoppe, Hoppe needs to show alittle more before I give him the start.
Striker: Ricardo Pepi. He did great in one game. Others have not been great. I like what Pefok can do.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

The other thing that we could do (that seems to make some sense with all the attacking midfield talent we have) is move to a 4-2-3-1. That feels to me like it might suit us better, but who knows.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Now that I’m no longer a Barca fan I can laugh at all their years of hubris and mismanagement.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Hi

You suck
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

Coach really breaks down the game of Tyler Adams. I now believe Adams is the best player on the USMNT and is world class. He is only 22 and is a ferocious defensive player. He is great at passing, and the only player I can see better box to box is N'Golo Kante who is from France and plays for Chelsea. In the Honduras game Berhalter tried to play Adams as a wing during the first half. That alone should get him fired.

Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

Big match on Peacock. Chelsea at Tottenham. Kane vs Lakaku. I like the forwards of Havertz, Mount, and Lakaku. Add Pulisic and that is formidable. I see Kante isn't playing.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

Pepi! Kid just knows where to be. And doesn't miss the easy opportunities. How long has the US looked for a target man in the middle like this?

And tonight was the best I've ever seen the US playing out of the back. Only two or three silly giveaways in the midfield, and plenty of danger created. Most important? On schedule for a trip to Qatar.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

Pepi will sold to Europe after this qualifying round. Word is he will play for Ajax. The kid is 18 and it appears he could be the best striker the USMNT has ever had. He has scored in his first 2 WCQ games he's ever played.

I also loved the play of Musah, Dest, and Aaronson. And to think this is without Pulisic or Reyna playing. The USMNT has depth like they never had before. There are players who haven't played for the USMNT in WCQ yet who deserve to play. I hope Matthew Hoppe gets a chance. I also really like Joe Scally, who I don't understand wasn't called up. Instead Shaq Moore is on the roster, a player is doesn't even start for a 2nd level team Tenirife.

Matt Turner has solidified the starting GK position.

VAR definitely cost us a penalty kick in the first 30 seconds of the match. What a pass by Pepi that was. Jamaica should have had 2 red cards when you add the tackle on Aaronson. The fact that Concacaf doesn't use VAR is a joke. We are hamstrung by 3rd world countries who don't have the technology.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

An 18 year old banging in two in a qualifier?

You don’t want to get ahead of yourself, but that’s impressive.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Just coached my kid’s U10 travel team to a huge 3-2 victory on the road to bring our record to 2-3-1.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Chicat wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:46 pm Just coached my kid’s U10 travel team to a huge 3-2 victory on the road to bring our record to 2-3-1.
Congrats J Lasso!
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

UAEebs86 wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:51 pm
Chicat wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:46 pm Just coached my kid’s U10 travel team to a huge 3-2 victory on the road to bring our record to 2-3-1.
Congrats J Lasso!
Aw shucks, it was all the kids. I’m just the guy who gets to talk to the press afterwards.

The kids battled against not only the other team but also the elements and being short-handed. We’ve got two kids out with Covid, one out with heat stroke, another who is probably our best player but has only showed up to two games because he also plays in a different league, and the head coach is shacking up with his new girlfriend in Phoenix this weekend.

So we had no subs. In 85 degree heat. I’d go to war with those 9-year-olds any day.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

After seeing who is starting for the USMNT today against Panama I don't believe they will win, let alone score.

Some of the starters:

Shaq Moore
Paul Arriola
Gyasi Zardes
Sebastian "back passing" Lletget
Kellyn Acosta

This isn't even the USMNT best team in the Gold Cup.

If Tim Ream started instead of Mark KcKenzie and Christian Roldan instead of Yunus Musah then the USMNT would be starting it's worst lineup. Zardes was awful against Jamaica and can't score. Arriola can't score either. Not good for forwards. How in the world can Zardes be considered better than Matthew Hoppe?
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

This loss to Panama is all on Berhalter. I had pull to get the head coaching position and is awful on how to use a team. He should be building chemistry for a team that will play in Qatar. Many of his decisions are mind boggling. There are no excuses for this loss. I could go on forever on WTF moments on decisions on the roster. One is why isn't Chris Richards playing? He is killing it in Bundesliga with much better competition. This is sickening. First loss ever to Panama. Berhalter needs to go.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Catintheheat wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:05 pm This loss to Panama is all on Berhalter.
I feel like I’m ready to take over.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

Chicat wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:43 pm
Catintheheat wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:05 pm This loss to Panama is all on Berhalter.
I feel like I’m ready to take over.
You would be better. It wouldn't be harder to play the best lineup. Berhalter is not logical.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Questions about players started. Questions (at least in my mind) about formation.

Game against Costa Rica might need to be for Greg’s continuing employment.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

The game in Panama had to be the most uninspiring effort I've seen by a USMNT in a long time. It's like they didn't even try. Formation, player selection, and coaching won't matter if the players just don't put in the effort. I guess you can say it's a coaching problem, especially if the players sleep walk through multiple games, but Berhalter rarely has problems with player effort. Let's hope the guys play hard on Wednesday. Would likely solve a number of issues.