Let's Talk '22

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ChooChooCat

Re: Let's Talk '22

Post by ChooChooCat »

RawleArenas wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:48 pm Allright class, time for Q&A. If Miller was a witch, what does that make Tommy Boy?
A coach with a far superior system 😄
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Why are so many people down on Lloyd? He has not even coached a game yet. Just because he could not get a couple of recruits to commit does not mean it's the end of the world. Good things happen to those who wait.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

RawleArenas wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:48 pm Allright class, time for Q&A. If Miller was a witch, what does that make Tommy Boy?
Fairy, Mermaid or Gnome.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Maybe we stopped paying these guys?

giggle...giggle
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

Miller was hired in April of 09. And got the majority of his first class courtesy of USC and Tim Floyd. His second class left much to be desired. Third class is when he really got going. Equivalent of that would be Tommy keeping majority of core together for this year (Via Miller instead of Floyd), ‘22 shaping up to leave much to be desired. But ‘23 I would expect Tommy to come through in a big way after putting a product on the floor, and having a full season to recruit. He’s only been recruiting guys to play for HIS program for 6 months. Prior to that he was recruiting kids to play for Mark Few.

Tommy has the advantage of the new one-time free transfer year to use to his advantage for the ‘22 cycle after kids decide they want to transfer and see Tommy’s system on the court. I have high hopes for this year and hope Tommy can put together a make-shift class for ‘22, but I am expecting big pieces in place for the ‘23 class
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

ChooChooCat wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:55 pm
I assume that will lead to wins right? If it does it was a move that will stand the test of time. If he doesn't and can't equal Miller's record, which by the way was outstanding till the ESPN article, then it was a huge mistake. We should know by the end of year 2 if progress is being made..
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

TheCat wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:36 am
I assume that will lead to wins right? If it does it was a move that will stand the test of time. If he doesn't and can't equal Miller's record, which by the way was outstanding till the ESPN article, then it was a huge mistake. We should know by the end of year 2 if progress is being made..
It at the very least will lead me to actually want to watch Arizona games out of enjoyment as opposed to a sense of nostalgia and loyalty.

Miller also was able to take advantage of a very very weak Pac 12 during the early part of his tenure. I did enjoy the TJ McConnell teams though as they were the only teams to take on the personality of their head coach. If you’re going to coach the way Miller does at least have some tough teams that bully the opponent.

As far as Lloyd goes we have to get past the IARP and then you can certainly grade the man completely.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I know you're joking, my flip side joke is asking if it's the same system Jedd Fisch had that convinced everyone he was a wizard before we saw on field product.

On the more serious note, I know I'm a Miller fan and you're not. I'm not rooting against Lloyd, but it is generally the case that every coach's system looks great before games are played. Once games are played, you see how well the PR holds up.

This doesn't mean Lloyd's system won't look good in practice, just that I'm not thinking we know that incredibly soon. We can estimate this year, but there's also the factor of running it with Miller's players, which could cut for or against Lloyd.
Dave

Post by Dave »

I would like to know how many scholarships Lloyd is even willing to give out for next year. We have only one player that is for sure gone (Kier) and Dylan will take that scholarship. We are holding out one scholarship for a possible reduction penalty. Lloyd appears much more conservative in the over recruiting game.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

ChooChooCat wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:43 am
It at the very least will lead me to actually want to watch Arizona games out of enjoyment as opposed to a sense of nostalgia and loyalty.

Miller also was able to take advantage of a very very weak Pac 12 during the early part of his tenure. I did enjoy the TJ McConnell teams though as they were the only teams to take on the personality of their head coach. If you’re going to coach the way Miller does at least have some tough teams that bully the opponent.

As far as Lloyd goes we have to get past the IARP and then you can certainly grade the man completely.
Well hopefully we wont have to get enjoyment without a win right? Plus you are assuming you will like our new coaches style which no one has seen.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

TheCat wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:29 am

Well hopefully we wont have to get enjoyment without a win right? Plus you are assuming you will like our new coaches style which no one has seen.
He only knows one system…much like Miller did.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

ChooChooCat wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:36 pm
TheCat wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:29 am

He only knows one system…much like Miller did.
I hope not. This is a guy that has been around the game 20+ years and been exposed to different international styles forever. We better hope he doesn't know one way.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

I hope he knows one way…how to win.
az91

Post by az91 »

Irish27 wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:07 pm Why are so many people down on Lloyd? He has not even coached a game yet. Just because he could not get a couple of recruits to commit does not mean it's the end of the world. Good things happen to those who wait.
LOL, the eternal optimists are coming out of the woodwork
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

az91 wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 4:39 pm
Irish27 wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:07 pm Why are so many people down on Lloyd? He has not even coached a game yet. Just because he could not get a couple of recruits to commit does not mean it's the end of the world. Good things happen to those who wait.
Just like the eternal pessimists. Works both ways.
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

EastCoastCat wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 4:47 pm
To the contrary. Realists have just not seen anything so far to make us optimistic. OTOH, recruiting (so far) has given us some reason to be pessimistic. We realists are totally in a "show me something" phase.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

IndianaZonaFan wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:46 am Miller was hired in April of 09. And got the majority of his first class courtesy of USC and Tim Floyd. His second class left much to be desired. Third class is when he really got going. Equivalent of that would be Tommy keeping majority of core together for this year (Via Miller instead of Floyd), ‘22 shaping up to leave much to be desired. But ‘23 I would expect Tommy to come through in a big way after putting a product on the floor, and having a full season to recruit. He’s only been recruiting guys to play for HIS program for 6 months. Prior to that he was recruiting kids to play for Mark Few.

Tommy has the advantage of the new one-time free transfer year to use to his advantage for the ‘22 cycle after kids decide they want to transfer and see Tommy’s system on the court. I have high hopes for this year and hope Tommy can put together a make-shift class for ‘22, but I am expecting big pieces in place for the ‘23 class
Who is as in miller’s second class?
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

Postmaster wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:15 am
IndianaZonaFan wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:46 am Miller was hired in April of 09. And got the majority of his first class courtesy of USC and Tim Floyd. His second class left much to be desired. Third class is when he really got going. Equivalent of that would be Tommy keeping majority of core together for this year (Via Miller instead of Floyd), ‘22 shaping up to leave much to be desired. But ‘23 I would expect Tommy to come through in a big way after putting a product on the floor, and having a full season to recruit. He’s only been recruiting guys to play for HIS program for 6 months. Prior to that he was recruiting kids to play for Mark Few.

Who is as in miller’s second class?
Bejarano
Mayes
Perry
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

BBQ wildcat wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:36 pm
EastCoastCat wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 4:47 pm
To the contrary. Realists have just not seen anything so far to make us optimistic. OTOH, recruiting (so far) has given us some reason to be pessimistic. We realists are totally in a "show me something" phase.
You haven't seen ANYTHING to be optimistic about?

The guys Lloyd retained... we could be Utah right now, with a shell of a team.

The coaches he's brought in... Fois and Robinson and Benson and GARDNER... those guys are just some shmucks who joined some schmuck head coach right?

The guys he's brought in... Adama Bal looks like he's going to be very nice and Pelle Larsson - the kid with the Josh Christopher body except he can actually defend, pass and shoot - well I'm sure Kansas fans would have appreciated him had Lloyd not won out for his commitment.

If you don't see ANYTHING to give you optimism you don't get to pat yourself on the back for being "a realist." Just save us the delusions and cop to being a cynic.
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

To be fair, Miller hadn't demonstrated his 'witchiness' until at least his third year.
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

My problem with Miller is that he ran a complex system with a high turnover rate among players. I didn’t enjoy watching basketball under Miller like I did under Lute. What I liked about CTL’s press conference after red/blue game is when he said he will make adjustments in play style to his players’ strengths. I am optimistic, and even if the team has a rough start I am curious to see the improvement as the season progresses.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Since this thread talks a bit about NIL you might find this interesting since it was someone we recruited.
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... dealership
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Another example of why recruiting top flight talent is going to be much more difficult for AZ in the age of NIL
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

There’s a Porsche dealership in Tucson.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Chicat wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:06 am There’s a Porsche dealership in Tucson.
Yes and there are also BMW, Mercedes and Lexus dealerships too.

You don't see them passing out cars to UA athletes do you??
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

So NIL is different for international athletes correct? Since they are on educational visas they can't make over a certain amount of money. Can they even accept a Porsche on a free lease without violating the terms of their visas?

Gonna have to get something bigger than a Porsche for the American players if they be carpooling. Get em some minivans. :D
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

The bigger problem is not getting them expensive cars but how will they pay for gas???

:o
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

The NIL is still so bizarre.

Anyone ever see the Nick Nolte/Shaq movie Blue Chips? The NIL makes that whole movie laughably obsolete. It’s now more like a history documentary than a dramatic narrative.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Has anyone heard anything about the details of the agreement with Ty Ty and the dealership?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

dmjcat wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:50 am
Chicat wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:06 am There’s a Porsche dealership in Tucson.
Yes and there are also BMW, Mercedes and Lexus dealerships too.

You don't see them passing out cars to UA athletes do you??
What exactly is the incentive for a Kentucky dealership to pass out cars that doesn't exist for a Southern Arizona dealership?

If your complaint against the NIL is that Tucson businesses are cheap, that’s not really the fault of the rules, is it?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Dave wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:55 am Has anyone heard anything about the details of the agreement with Ty Ty and the dealership?
See link below. As I stated this morning, the UA is going to have serious issues keeping up with the Kentuckys of the world. Coach Lloyd is facing a completely different world than Miller did.

https://www.aseaofblue.com/2021/10/22/2 ... dcats-news

College athletics has changed dramatically over the course of the last year. With the one-time transfer rule while NIL in now in place, athletes have as much freedom as there has ever been at the college level, especially in regards to name, image and likeness deals.

We’ve already seen Kentucky Wildcats across different sports like Wan’Dale Robinson signing a big deal with Stockton Mortgage or Dontaie Allen getting one with Bojangles.

Well, it’s time to add another deal to the list.

This week, freshman point guard TyTy Washington announced a new deal he signed with Blue Grass Motorsport Porsche out of Louisville. As a part of the deal, the star freshman got himself a new ride.

John Calipari made it known that when the NIL laws passed that, “no one should be able to benefit more than the players at Kentucky.”

He continued on with that sentiment this week at Media Day.

“Kids come here because of the culture, because of the basketball,” Calipari said. “They want to be coached up. They want to compete. They’re not promised the world. They don’t come here because of name image and likeness.
“But let me say this. To this point, our players have the most transactions on our campus, and there’s only really 10 of them taking advantage, and they have the most transactions on this campus. They’re benefiting by this.”

Coach Cal also spoke to the way that they are teaching the players different financial literacy skills, to help out in the process.

One of the big fears to some fans was the effect it might have in the locker room. Coach Cal also put those fears to bed yesterday as well.

“No effect on the locker room,” Calipari said. “As a matter of fact, I asked them one time, went through and individually, not as a group, and they all were like, ‘Is this having any effect on (you)?’ They went, ‘What? No, we’re all happy. We know some are going to do better than others, but Coach, we’re all involved in this.’

“Our walk-ons are involved in it. That’s how you get to the number of transactions that we have, and still, three or four companies have already called about doing more.”

With the resources and the brand that comes with playing for Kentucky basketball, there isn’t a better place to strike big NIL deals in this new era.
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

Sean Miller was a great recruiter for Arizona but he still generally finished behind Cal/Kentucky and this was before NIL.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Hey Jim Click! Don't just stand there! Buy a fucking Porsche dealership!
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I know for a fact that the tricked out 4Runner that Michael Dickerson drove around almost 25 years ago with the ground effects and bass you could hear coming from five blocks away wasn’t something he paid for himself.

Now that it’s legal under NCAA rules for things like dealerships giving cars to college athletes are Tucson businesses suddenly not interested?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:53 am Hey Jim Click! Don't just stand there! Buy a fucking Porsche dealership!
He should give everyone on the team a new Fiesta.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

azgreg wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:57 am
dovecanyoncat wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:53 am Hey Jim Click! Don't just stand there! Buy a fucking Porsche dealership!
He should give everyone on the team a new Fiesta.
Those chick magnets will trash team focus.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
mofo

Post by mofo »

Chicat wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:06 am I know for a fact that the tricked out 4Runner that Michael Dickerson drove around almost 25 years ago with the ground effects and bass you could hear coming from five blocks away wasn’t something he paid for himself.

Now that it’s legal under NCAA rules for things like dealerships giving cars to college athletes are Tucson businesses suddenly not interested?
Was it a 4Runner or Land Cruiser? Seems to me it might have been a Land Cruiser but not sure on that one. Also, JT had a black convertible Mustang, Miles Simon had a 2 door Lexus coupe, Bibby had a SHO Taurus, and hell even Donnel Harris had a Land Rover. Not sure how Bibby drew the short straw, but either way they drove a hell of a lot better rides in college that my POS beat up Nissan truck. Maybe they were all just from affluent families...
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

So our guys are gonna become Click bait?

~ Wilhoit's Law
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

mofo wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:14 am
Chicat wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:06 am I know for a fact that the tricked out 4Runner that Michael Dickerson drove around almost 25 years ago with the ground effects and bass you could hear coming from five blocks away wasn’t something he paid for himself.

Was it a 4Runner or Land Cruiser? Seems to me it might have been a Land Cruiser but not sure on that one. Also, JT had a black convertible Mustang, Miles Simon had a 2 door Lexus coupe, Bibby had a SHO Taurus, and hell even Donnel Harris had a Land Rover. Not sure how Bibby drew the short straw, but either way they drove a hell of a lot better rides in college that my POS beat up Nissan truck. Maybe they were all just from affluent families...
Could have been a Land Cruiser. I mostly remember it was black with green accents and you could feel the bass thumping in your chest as he drove by. When I asked his friend where he got it I was told “some dude gave it to him.”
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Didn't Luke Walton drive a crappy 70's convertible? But seem to recall he was watched really closely due to his famous dad, and Bill helping out Richard Jefferson with airline tickets onetime and getting in trouble.
mofo wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:14 am but either way they drove a hell of a lot better rides in college that my POS beat up Nissan truck.
That POS Nissan truck is probably worth quite a bit now.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Merkin wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:14 am Didn't Luke Walton drive a crappy 70's convertible? But seem to recall he was watched really closely due to his famous dad, and Bill helping out Richard Jefferson with airline tickets onetime and getting in trouble.
mofo wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:14 am but either way they drove a hell of a lot better rides in college that my POS beat up Nissan truck.
That POS Nissan truck is probably worth quite a bit now.
Why is that POS Nissan truck probably worth quite a bit now? I drove a POS Nissan truck in college. Kept driving it until I was 32. Should I have kept it?
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

There is a shortage of cars right now
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Beachcat97 wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:51 am Anyone ever see the Nick Nolte/Shaq movie Blue Chips? The NIL makes that whole movie laughably obsolete. It’s now more like a history documentary than a dramatic narrative.
Reminds me of He Got Game starring Lute Olson. Denzel Washington and Ray Allen also make appearances.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

84Cat wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:31 am There is a shortage of cars right now
Oh okay. I was worried in the same way I worry about having sold my Atari 1200XL.
mofo

Post by mofo »

Merkin wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:14 am Didn't Luke Walton drive a crappy 70's convertible? But seem to recall he was watched really closely due to his famous dad, and Bill helping out Richard Jefferson with airline tickets onetime and getting in trouble.
Luke came in right after I left but I saw the car a few times when I went back to town for various occasions. It was an old 70's convertible, but I don't remember thinking it was crappy. It was like an old convertible Malibu or some other "boat" and was pretty vintage, not pimped out, but I actually thought it was a pretty sweet ride. Fit his laid back SoCal surfer type mentality pretty well.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

:ugeek: I thought B Walton gave RJ and Luke Lakers playoff tickets and it was a violation for aRj but not Luke.

I think Simon’s parents bought the Lexus, it was within their means.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Brian Willams had a giant boat car. Late 60s early 70s Cadillac convertible.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Mid 90s land cruisers were frickin sweet!!!!

I had one til a few years ago, I guess I still have it but I haven't driven it in a few years, needs a bunch of exhaust work including manifolds, it has like 4 catalytic converters on it. That thing went anywhere.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

According to this article Colin Chandler has dropped AZ from consideration

https://www.vanquishthefoe.com/2021/10/ ... on-preview
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Only going after three American recruits looks pretty bad when you land zero of those three recruits. Maybe Millers guys will stay for a decade.