The 2021-2022 Season Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

TucsonClip

Re: The 2021-2022 Season Thread

Post by TucsonClip »

mofo wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:46 am I think I'm most impressed with how quickly they've picked up the new system. I've read on here multiple times in the past that Miller's pack line defense really doesn't click until year 2 for most kids. I'm not basketball expert to be able to say what systems are easier than others to learn, but in my mind I would expect a fast-paced system to be more susceptible to mistakes if it's not instinctive, which I also assume would take more time to get to that point. TucsonClip said above "you would be hard pressed to find many teams capable of running so many different schemes at the college level". That should take time right?? It hasn't.

I expected a good team by the 2nd half of the season and heading into March based on our existing players but with some road bumps early. I assumed implementing new systems on both sides of the court was going to take some time for the kids to figure out and play instinctively. That hasn't been the case at all and if it continues, watch out in March!
Honestly, it is mind blowing to me that we are running this type of stuff, this early in the season. Its NBA level rotations and schemes, and a lot are opponent specific, which means the staff is coaching their asses off. It also means, they are relaying it in a way that the team is able to comprehend and process, which is just as important. Major props to the staff and players, because none of that is easy.

Ricky Fois was an ace hire by Lloyd, who has proven he knows what the hell he is doing.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Chicat wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:03 am
mofo wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:46 am I think I'm most impressed with how quickly they've picked up the new system. I've read on here multiple times in the past that Miller's pack line defense really doesn't click until year 2 for most kids. I'm not basketball expert to be able to say what systems are easier than others to learn, but in my mind I would expect a fast-paced system to be more susceptible to mistakes if it's not instinctive, which I also assume would take more time to get to that point. TucsonClip said above "you would be hard pressed to find many teams capable of running so many different schemes at the college level". That should take time right?? It hasn't.

I expected a good team by the 2nd half of the season and heading into March based on our existing players but with some road bumps early. I assumed implementing new systems on both sides of the court was going to take some time for the kids to figure out and play instinctively. That hasn't been the case at all and if it continues, watch out in March!
The offensive system isn’t that complicated. It’s about running your ass off to spots and then attacking when you get the ball in space. And when Tommy says effort then execution, I believe him. I give him and the kids credit for their all out hustle and spacing.

His defense isn’t all that different than Miller’s. It’s Man with a ton of switching. The difference is that we pick up the other players much farther away from the basket which is fine because if someone gets beat the D rotates over and we have a legit rim protector in the middle. Tommy also doesn’t ask his centers to chase their man all over the perimeter.

Let’s not forget that guys like Kriisa, Zu, & Larsson having been playing overseas against straight up men, and that guys like Kier and Aiken have played in a lot of different systems. So I don’t think it takes them too long to adjust to new systems.
Cant remember if I posted it here or not, but the defense and its principles are night and day different from Miller's. However, the concept behind the schemes are much easier to comprehend, because they arent bending the typical philosophy of defense for guys who may have never been taught proper defending before, unlike the packline.

-Shane Battier
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Cowboys routed by Arizona for first loss

The defeat, which took place in front of a crowd of more than 13,000 at McKale Memorial Center, snapped UW’s longest undefeated streak to start a season since 2012.

“It's one of those deals where you come in on the road to play a top-10 team in the country in a tough place to play,” Cowboys coach Jeff Linder said. “As I told our guys afterwards, there have been a lot of really good teams that have come in here through the course of the history of this place and got beaten up pretty good.”

https://www.wyomingnews.com/wyosports/u ... b39c9.html
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

TucsonClip wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:04 am Cant remember if I posted it here or not, but the defense and its principles are night and day different from Miller's. However, the concept behind the schemes are much easier to comprehend, because they arent bending the typical philosophy of defense for guys who may have never been taught proper defending before, unlike the packline.
I go back and forth on some of this.

There was an intersting tidbit in the article about Koloko's draft stock that he was almost exclusively playing drop coverage in the pick and roll to keep him closer to the rim. That's a change from hedge and recover for bigs.

That said, one of the aspects that killed me last year was sloppy closeouts. The first year guys were maddeningly inconsistent in sometimes closing out without active feet and getting blown by. Miller used the phrase "straight line drive" more than I've ever heard it.

I think it's fair to say Lloyd has taken more of an approach of tweaking the system to highlight what his players do instead of trying to teach them into a system as Miller did with packline. To me, that approach has upsides and downsides, but it fits well with this team because this roster is fairly loaded with physical ability.

Some of the overall improvements are just that players learned lessons as freshmen and continued as sophs. You aren't seeing the straight line drives off sloppy closeouts like last year, and that's a direct result of now having two years of drilling, IMO.

I don't see it as a Miller vs Lloyd issue either. I see it as, if Miller doesn't do good work last year, we're not as far along as we are. If Lloyd doesn't do good work this year, we're not as far along as we are. It's a product of two years of good coaching applied to a roster with high level physical ability.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

To Clip's note earlier...

I'm kind of stunned at Lloyd just largely ditching the ball screen continuity offense for the high spread PnR. We talked early on about how Zu and Math would likely struggle the most in picking up that ball screen offense, and then we saw Lloyd make the switch after halftime however many games ago to this more traditional spread PnR with Math immediately taking off in scoring after.

For a coach to be that flexible... that intuitive to see "hey I've got something that I really like but it's not quite fitting the highest level of talent on this team, what if we did something else..." and then just grabbing that success and running with it. This early in the season? This early in his career as a HC? I mean that's beautiful stuff, y'all. Flat out inspirational stuff.

The variety of defensive looks is nuts. It really is. The versatility and intelligence and execution shown by the coaching staff and then the players (!) in the first year together only 8 games in... I'm not sure if I'm more proud or awed.

But the offensive adjustments and then guys buying in and doing what is most beneficial to the team... What in the world is this haha.

In particular I have to highlight Terry... his buy in and understanding to pass up some open three point shots and instead take his guy off the dribble and get inside to put pressure on the rim - what incredible maturity and growth out of him. Just overjoyed with this team right now.
Last edited by YoDeFoe on Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:13 pm
TheCat wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:34 pm I think his (Koloko's) rebounding is sub par for his size and the amount of time he plays. He is a terrific rim protector and help side defender. If he get 2-3 more rebounds he would be stellar. I think he is high second round right now but could easily be late first if he keeps improving. Where he has really improved is fouling and our team really benefits from that.
I'm not sure on the rebounding. Usually, I would say 15-20 for a rebound % for a big is above average, over 20 is great. Koloko is 16.1. He also only plays about 23 mpg for 7 rpg. A rebound every three minutes is ok.

He could be better, but again, I come back to his experience level and physical development. He has a lot of growth potential.
It's funny, I looked at this same thing yesterday where I was surprised Koloko wasn't getting more boards (7rbs per game seemed light) and then saw that he's at a very respectable rebound % (5th in the conf in total). It's just a matter of minutes for him.

Clearly we're playing Koloko light minutes out of luxury - in the Vegas games he had 33 and 30 minutes. He had some foul trouble last night that limited his minutes but also we ran them off the court early.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Oh yeah one more note: Benn sure looked better than "end of the lotto / early 20s" last night. Goddamn
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

YoDeFoe wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:45 am For a coach to be that flexible... that intuitive to see "hey I've got something that I really like but it's not quite fitting the highest level of talent on this team, what if we did something else..." and then just grabbing that success and running with it. I mean that's beautiful stuff, y'all. Flat out inspirational stuff.
He's certainly not rigidly formulaic. Earlier he was talking about how some bench player didn't get as many minutes as had been planned because the first team was rolling so well he just stayed with that lineup. It wasn't a knock on the bench, it was just sticking with the court horses that were kicking ass at the time. Definitely not a Milleresque move.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

From the 2nd page of comments:

Anybody actually watch Arizona yet this year? Looks like they have some size...2 guys at 6'11 and another at 7'1. The stats show they play 9-10 deep, they like to play fast, and they have 4 guys in double figure scoring.

Akinjo looks like the guy to stop. He's averaging 15 pts 5 asts so I'm guessing if Trent can lock him down we have a good shot.

Arizona plays Wyoming tomorrow at 10 ET on PAC12 if anyone gets that network.

We don't even get that here in Tucson. It's a joke.

Reactions: Chukwuwumba, IlliniDawgs, chrisRunner7 and 4 others
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:51 am
TheCat wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:34 pm I think his (Koloko's) rebounding is sub par for his size and the amount of time he plays. He is a terrific rim protector and help side defender. If he get 2-3 more rebounds he would be stellar. I think he is high second round right now but could easily be late first if he keeps improving. Where he has really improved is fouling and our team really benefits from that.
I'm not sure on the rebounding. Usually, I would say 15-20 for a rebound % for a big is above average, over 20 is great. Koloko is 16.1. He also only plays about 23 mpg for 7 rpg. A rebound every three minutes is ok.

He could be better, but again, I come back to his experience level and physical development. He has a lot of growth potential.
It's funny, I looked at this same thing yesterday where I was surprised Koloko wasn't getting more boards (7rbs per game seemed light) and then saw that he's at a very respectable rebound % (5th in the conf in total). It's just a matter of minutes for him.

Clearly we're playing Koloko light minutes out of luxury - in the Vegas games he had 33 and 30 minutes. He had some foul trouble last night that limited his minutes but also we ran them off the court early.
He's not an Ayton type monster on the glass, but he's certainly not bad. The worst you can say is you'd hope for more given his massive wingspan, but his body is still clearly developing.

It's also worth noting Benn and Terry are good rebounders for wings and are putting less pressure on the big guys to produce on the glass. When you really drill down, I think NBA teams will see his board work as decent with a lot of upside.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Alieberman wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:38 am
Beachcat97 wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:35 pm [
Think it’s undeniable that we are a contender, almost regardless of what happens this weekend. The first loss is coming, probably this month, but a loss or two won’t change that this team appears capable of reaching the 2nd weekend of the tournament.

Man, when Kriisa shoots like that, we are nearly unstoppable on offense.
You misspelled 3rd weekend.
Trying to manage expectations. At this point, a return to the second weekend would be a huge (and largely unexpected) development for Lloyd in his first season as a HC. Anything beyond that...well...I'm just going to enjoy the ride for now.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:17 pm

He's not an Ayton type monster on the glass, but he's certainly not bad. The worst you can say is you'd hope for more given his massive wingspan, but his body is still clearly developing.

It's also worth noting Benn and Terry are good rebounders for wings and are putting less pressure on the big guys to produce on the glass. When you really drill down, I think NBA teams will see his board work as decent with a lot of upside.
Yeah and don't leave Zu off the list either, he's just three behind Koloko in total boards (with Benn between them).
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

YoDeFoe wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:53 am Oh yeah one more note: Benn sure looked better than "end of the lotto / early 20s" last night. Goddamn
I'm sticking by my prediction that he could be a top 5 player by the end of the season.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

YoDeFoe wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:29 pm

Yeah and don't leave Zu off the list either, he's just three behind Koloko in total boards (with Benn between them).
After I read through the latest pages of the Illini fan board linked by Gregg you can tell they are banking on:

O boarding to slow down our fast break
Beating our press
shooting FTs

~ Wilhoit's Law
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:29 pm
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:13 pm I'm not sure on the rebounding. Usually, I would say 15-20 for a rebound % for a big is above average, over 20 is great. Koloko is 16.1. He also only plays about 23 mpg for 7 rpg. A rebound every three minutes is ok.

Funny, I look at Tubelis's rebound rate and also think it should be higher. Part of the effect this year is a bunch of decent rebounders stealing the ball from each other.

Ultimately, we're outrebounding people by 12 per game, so it's not like the ultimate job isn't getting done well.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

CTL quote from last night, "If you don't rebound the ball, you don't win" or something like that. He says it's emphasized every day in practice
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

When you boil it down the Cats are unique in that they don't play a college style game. It's more what you would see in the NBA. It isn't just Tommy Lloyd, it includes the assistant coaches. Fois and Robinson are perfect fits for CTL style of play. Both are special. Fois understands how to scheme and Robinson worked under Roy Williams for decades. Murphy was a head coach, capable of performing administrative duties, and his personality really connects with the players.

I can't believe the quality of the program now. As much as Sean Miller's motto was A Player's Program, CTL staff teaches players how to play basketball. He develops players the right way so players have a future. Arizona is not a pit stop anymore. It is a place to learn.
AztoCa

Post by AztoCa »

Catintheheat wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:57 pm CTL staff teaches players how to play basketball. He develops players the right way so players have a future. Arizona is not a pit stop anymore. It is a place to learn.
I agree

Bill Walton once said Lute was the heir apparent to John Wooden because he taught the players how to play for every situation before the game starts.

( All the coaching is done before hand, if you ranting and raving on the sidelines trying to plug holes in a sinking system from the 80's it's to0 late )

It seems we got lucky and got another Very Smart Hall of Fame coach...
may the Bear Be Down! :D
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Catintheheat wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:57 pm When you boil it down the Cats are unique in that they don't play a college style game. It's more what you would see in the NBA. It isn't just Tommy Lloyd, it includes the assistant coaches. Fois and Robinson are perfect fits for CTL style of play. Both are special. Fois understands how to scheme and Robinson worked under Roy Williams for decades. Murphy was a head coach, capable of performing administrative duties, and his personality really connects with the players.

I can't believe the quality of the program now. As much as Sean Miller's motto was A Player's Program, CTL staff teaches players how to play basketball. He develops players the right way so players have a future. Arizona is not a pit stop anymore. It is a place to learn.
I have to disagree on the second point. First, it's hard to avoid 90% of the current on court production is from Miller recruits. Regardless of how credit gets assigned, Miller got the correct players both in talent level and attitude.

Next, player development for the next level was never bad under Miller. Arizona is tied for 7th among colleges in alums who are current NBA players, with 10. One of the programs we're tied with is Gonzaga, for what that's worth.

One interesting point is we were only 10th among colleges in first round draft picks in the 2010's, with 7. So, I think there's a decent case to be made that we had guys who were more NBA ready than some other schools (looking at you, Syracuse).

I use Gonzaga intentionally because they will have two one and dones in their last two classes. I don't think Lloyd has shied away from that (and I don't hope he starts shying away). He has multiyear guys who have developed into NBA prospects because Miller recruited them and began their development.

In short, I see the way this year's team has been as symbiotic. The raw materials are Miller. Miller should get credit for the intial development of guys like Benn and Koloko. Lloyd has furthered their development and should get credit for that. Lloyd has also adapted to this group well and should get credit for that. Instead of one coach vs the other, it's a function of both. If either side of the equation was a bad culture, you wouldn't see what you do, IMO.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Saturday is on Fox. Do we get Gus Johnson??
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Catintheheat wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:57 pmAs much as Sean Miller's motto was A Player's Program, CTL staff teaches players how to play basketball. He develops players the right way so players have a future. Arizona is not a pit stop anymore. It is a place to learn.
This post left a real bad taste in my mouth. There’s really no reason to do this.

Sean Miller taught his players to play basketball. You’re seeing that this year. You don’t have to tear the man down to build up Tommy Boy because you’re enjoying what you’re seeing currently.

It is possible to be happy with our current success while also acknowledging the foundation Sean Miller left behind.

Sean Miller didn’t get fired for producing a Ben Lindsay-esque season last year, so just stop the slander.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Sean Miller was an amazing coach, recruiter, talent evaluator, and player developer - its been eight games and while im as excited as the next, respect those who made the path possible - Sean Miller & Co did that for Arizona and Tommy Lloyd in spades.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

They are always going to be compared against each other... that's just human nature.

This is not a knock against Miller, I just feel like TL is a better fit for this current era of college basketball.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

My biggest issue with CSM was his inflexibility in schemes. It was like his dad taught him packline and whatever that offense was and he was sticking to it forever come hell or highwater.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Alieberman wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:50 pm They are always going to be compared against each other... that's just human nature.

This is not a knock against Miller, I just feel like TL is a better fit for this current era of college basketball.
that may be true, but lets judge this man on his first 200 games, not his first 8 before we (all apologies to Chi) crown his ass
Last edited by 97cats on Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I can’t think of anything more Miller could have done to continue the tradition of Arizona basketball and what lute built…

Aside from not having the cactus logo on the floor, and I’m not a fan of that logo.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Alieberman wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:50 pm They are always going to be compared against each other... that's just human nature.

Cool. Let me know when Tommy Boy produces multiple conference titles, conference tourney titles, and tourney runs into the second weekend.

It’s been 8 games under Tommy Boy and some of you are like, “Sean Miller?? Dude sucked!”

:lol:
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Yeah I mean I wonder what everyone was thinking mid second half of that Wichita game.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

This is only one idiot fan's opinion.

I reserve the right to change my mind after the Illinois game
97cats

Post by 97cats »

youre an AZ fan!
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

People know it’s ok to love what’s happening this year without disparaging prior seasons, right?
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

84Cat wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:47 pm CTL quote from last night, "If you don't rebound the ball, you don't win" or something like that. He says it's emphasized every day in practice
Thats the one mantra this team should have deeply embedded in them from Miller. You cant run until you end a defensive possession. Only way you can do that is forcing a miss and ending the possession by securing a rebound.

-Shane Battier
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:40 am
TucsonClip wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:04 am Cant remember if I posted it here or not, but the defense and its principles are night and day different from Miller's. However, the concept behind the schemes are much easier to comprehend, because they arent bending the typical philosophy of defense for guys who may have never been taught proper defending before, unlike the packline.
I go back and forth on some of this.

There was an intersting tidbit in the article about Koloko's draft stock that he was almost exclusively playing drop coverage in the pick and roll to keep him closer to the rim. That's a change from hedge and recover for bigs.

That said, one of the aspects that killed me last year was sloppy closeouts. The first year guys were maddeningly inconsistent in sometimes closing out without active feet and getting blown by. Miller used the phrase "straight line drive" more than I've ever heard it.

I think it's fair to say Lloyd has taken more of an approach of tweaking the system to highlight what his players do instead of trying to teach them into a system as Miller did with packline. To me, that approach has upsides and downsides, but it fits well with this team because this roster is fairly loaded with physical ability.

Some of the overall improvements are just that players learned lessons as freshmen and continued as sophs. You aren't seeing the straight line drives off sloppy closeouts like last year, and that's a direct result of now having two years of drilling, IMO.

I don't see it as a Miller vs Lloyd issue either. I see it as, if Miller doesn't do good work last year, we're not as far along as we are. If Lloyd doesn't do good work this year, we're not as far along as we are. It's a product of two years of good coaching applied to a roster with high level physical ability.
And its not a full drop. Its a more modern NBA style half drop. In addition, Lloyd has allowed Koloko to switch out onto guards more often, which was something I thought he should have been allowed to do last year as well.

Regarding the straight line drives, that goes into my breakdown of the differences between Lloyd's base scheme and Millers. Ill find it and post it after this, but essentially, Lloyd has guys playing up the line, versus Miller having guys sit in gaps. Both apply ball pressure, but Lloyd isnt having guys help one pass away (NBA style), they will dig, but there are very few close outs, compared to Miller, because guys are staying home off the ball due to our ball screen coverages.

-Shane Battier
TucsonClip

Changes in Lloyd's Defense vs. Miller's

Post by TucsonClip »

This were my observations from November 16/17. So things have definitely been adjusted, especially based on matchups, but these detail my
views regarding the differences in the base schemes.

Half court wise, the assignments are much different.

Again, its only been three games, so we will see how things evolve over the course of the season, but here is what I have noticed thus far:

First, the biggest difference is in the shape of the defense and how much help is coming. Miller had his guys playing gaps, building a wall, already basically in help position off the ball. In basically all systems, help comes from the lowest defender on the weak side of the floor. That is still the case now, but the difference is that defender typically isnt positioned any closer than the far side block. Miller's system had guys sitting basically at the rim and flashing to the strong side block when needed.

Secondly, while Miller wanted ball pressure, and Lloyd does too, the difference, again, lies off the ball. As mentioned earlier, Miller's system has guys sitting in gaps off the ball, help ready and OFF the line. The line being, if you attach a string from the ball to the closest offensive player on the strong and weak side. Lloyd has his guys playing UP the line. The reason being, he wants to apply pressure across to the entire offense so we can force turnover and get out in transition. So, his guys are playing up the line and in some cases even denying passing lanes.

So one would assume there are more driving lanes for the ball handler, and there are if they can win 1v1. However, those driving lanes come with limited passing angles or dive and kick opportunities. Our guys are staying home off the ball, especially one pass away (an NBA principle). This allows the defense to hold it's shape, limits passing lanes, and eliminates giving up open threes. Granted the level of competition is low, but we are currently 46th in opponent 3P% and 90th in opponent 3Pr. Last season, we were 187th in opponent 3P% and 155th in 3Pr. In addition, Miller's teams havent ranked below 118th in opponent 3Pr since the 2016 season. This is something we all knew, Miller's teams gave up a ton of threes. As of now, this defense is designed to limit that, at least on drive and kicks.

Before we get to the rim protection, it wouldnt be a defensive post without discussing my favorite, ball screen coverages. Gone is the hard hedge and in is a more progressive style. We are going to play nearly up to the level of the screen, recover and then the big will call for a switch or we rear view the ball handler. We will switch a lot, depending on the matchups, and Lloyd clearly seems comfortable switching Koloko onto guards, something I was hoping he would do. Zu wont do it as much, and Ballo not much at all. This also takes shape off the ball, where guys will switch actions based on matchups off the ball. For example, if there is a dribble handoff with Benn/Terry/Kier defending up top and Kerr/Benn/Pelle defending that wing, we will simply switch the action. Furthermore, we will do this weak side as well, especially if someone is already in good position as the help man (low, weak side) OR Koloko/Ballo/Zu. Why? Because of this next paragraph...

Rim protection. This is more of an Oregon-style shot blocker comes off the weak side block to rim at the rim. This is where Koloko & Ballo have feasted; registering insane 18.6 and 10.5 block rates. These guys are left in position to clean up the breakdowns and are doing a fantastic job. This is also the emphasis right now, as you can take all of the above, but you need this building block to be able to run this style effectively. Since guys are pressuring the ball, playing up the line, staying home on shooters, this usually creates a clean 1v1 or 2v2 at the rim. Miller would have guys swarming the paint, which is why you didnt see as many of those highlight, Oregon-esque style shot blockers coming out of nowhere to clean up.

Finally, you have the artic, fresh breeze of the 1-2-2 press, Kier picking up full court anytime he is in the game, and yes, even some zone.

-Shane Battier
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I always learn something new from Clip. Takes me a while to read and digest his posts.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Merkin wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:19 pm I always learn something new from Clip. Takes me a while to read and digest his posts.
Lots of really smart basketball minds on this board. Im just happy to have a place to banter back and forth.

-Shane Battier
97cats

Post by 97cats »

College basketball power rankings: Arizona, USC and UCLA are salvaging a miserable first month for the Pac-12

3 - Arizona

Record: 8-0 | Last week: 4th. Well, Wyoming was having a nice first month of its season. An 8-0 start and an eagerly anticipated chance Wednesday night against a fellow undefeated in Arizona. Then they tipped and the Wildcats promptly looked like one of the three best teams in the country. It was 53-22 at the half and 94-65 at the end. Arizona continues to look mighty. It's beating teams by an average of 32.1 points, an absurd margin more than a month into the season.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... -25-and-1/
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Don't think I'm going too far out on a limb in saying that Saturday is our toughest game of the season so far.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Beachcat97 wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:10 pm Don't think I'm going too far out on a limb in saying that Saturday is our toughest game of the season so far.
I know the alumni club is bringing a crew. And I’ll be there.

Maybe you’ll hear some “U-of-A” chants at the end of the game after Benn & Co have silenced the home crowd.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Gonna be in Phx this weekend staying with my parents who are both Illinois grads

Can’t wait
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Chicat wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:38 pm
Beachcat97 wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:10 pm Don't think I'm going too far out on a limb in saying that Saturday is our toughest game of the season so far.

Maybe you’ll hear some “U-of-A” chants at the end of the game after Benn & Co have silenced the home crowd.
I hope so, Chi! I've even got the wife fired up for this one! We'll be cheering from SoCal!

Bear down and beat the Illini!
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Chicat wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:38 pm

I want to hear a big fat “BTFD” from you Chi.

Get us that W!
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Beachcat97 wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:32 pm
YoDeFoe wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:53 am Oh yeah one more note: Benn sure looked better than "end of the lotto / early 20s" last night. Goddamn
I'm sticking by my prediction that he could be a top 5 player by the end of the season.
He's trending your way, that's for damn sure :lol:
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Will be tough but we need these type games to make us develop. My hope of course is that this development can come with a W.
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:40 pm
After I read through the latest pages of the Illini fan board linked by Gregg you can tell they are banking on:

Beating our press
shooting FTs
Heh.

Good luck with that.
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Chicat wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:54 pm

Cool. Let me know when Tommy Boy produces multiple conference titles, conference tourney titles, and tourney runs into the second weekend.

It’s been 8 games under Tommy Boy and some of you are like, “Sean Miller?? Dude sucked!”

Are you really this bitter that you have to continue calling the guy Tommy Boy like he’s a man child or something? I get the not hating on Miller and appreciating the foundation he left, but good Christ give the Lloyd hate a fucking rest already will ya? He’s not who you’re mad at, so knock it off already.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Any guesses on the line for Saturday? I’m thinking AZ -5, but who knows.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ChooChooCat wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:04 pm
Chicat wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:54 pm

Are you really this bitter that you have to continue calling the guy Tommy Boy like he’s a man child or something? I get the not hating on Miller and appreciating the foundation he left, but good Christ give the Lloyd hate a fucking rest already will ya? He’s not who you’re mad at, so knock it off already.
A) He’s a grown man who calls himself Tommy.

B) That post has no hate at all for Tommy, but instead is relating how stupid it is to act like Sean Miller didn’t leave Tommy Boy a full cupboard that he’s taking full advantage of.

C) Since we are telling people how to feel, why don’t you relax Choo? Maybe take a Melatonin and put on some Enya. Getting all upset at me isn’t good for the blood pressure, and is also totally unnecessary. Sorry I called your boyfriend Tommy Boy. I’ll only do it again about 600 more times, I swear.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

RichardCranium wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:20 pm
dovecanyoncat wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:40 pm

Beating our press
shooting FTs
Heh.

Good luck with that.
I like the ones predicting a 15 point win.

I mean, it’s possible. But that’s a bold prediction.