2022 Season Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

AV8RCAT

Re: 2022 Season Thread

Post by AV8RCAT »

So we have a top 25 class. Where will that be in February? Still, the CFB world has to be taking notice, probably be an ESPN headline if we were Vanderbilt.
How much does it help us in 22? How many freshmen will be able to contribute?
You would think it would help us in the portal, as transfers can see that some damn good players think AZ is the place to be.
Man, that early schedule though. NDSU has a lot more business beating us then NAU did. We already know what SDSU can do and an SEC team?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Several of those skill players will step right in as freshman and contribute and it should help our Red Zone TD %. That will be a huge difference as we moved it well between the 20’s

We need to shore up the OLine and LB positions to really feel good about next year.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

On KVOA Channel 4 last night David Kelly was making a big deal about Noah's height when talking to Matt Moreno from TOS (who didn't think it was a big deal). Kyler Murray and Russell Wilson say hi.

Also, David Kelly is an idiot.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

The same David Kelly who thought a recruit’s dad was Marcel Yates and pitched a fit because we beat Oregon State after they came back from a Covid layoff?

Yeah, he’s an idiot.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
AV8RCAT

Post by AV8RCAT »

UAEebs86 wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 7:43 am On KVOA Channel 4 last night David Kelly was making a big deal about Noah's height when talking to Matt Moreno from TOS (who didn't think it was a big deal). Kyler Murray and Russell Wilson say hi.

I always thought height was a big deal but hell, Fifita is as tall as Murray.
Sid

Post by Sid »

AV8RCAT wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 7:50 am
UAEebs86 wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 7:43 am On KVOA Channel 4 last night David Kelly was making a big deal about Noah's height when talking to Matt Moreno from TOS (who didn't think it was a big deal). Kyler Murray and Russell Wilson say hi.

Just to add, the kid was highly successful playing against some of the biggest & fastest D-lines in all of America. The Trinity League is stacked with talent! We desperately need to shore up our O-line for whomever wins the start at QB and I’m now anxiously awaiting what the portal will provide…?
AV8RCAT

Post by AV8RCAT »

Sid wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 7:59 am
AV8RCAT wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 7:50 am

Just to add, the kid was highly successful playing against some of the biggest & fastest D-lines in all of America. The Trinity League is stacked with talent! We desperately need to shore up our O-line for whomever wins the start at QB and I’m now anxiously awaiting what the portal will provide…?
I fully expect us to sign transfers over Ohio State, Michigan and Notre Dame.
As one always intrigued by intangible dynamics, I'd be ok if the Servite freshmen quartet all won starting jobs.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

No doubt TMac starts and I think Manu gets a ton of run out of necessity.

I also think Burnett and Powell end up playing more snaps than Lines at TE. Powell at 6’7” is a great blocking TE and an imposing mismatch in the red zone. Burnett is just an amazing athlete with great speed and hands.

I am hoping Prysock can come in and take a corner spot and allow CRW to move to safety and shore up our back end on defense.

Lane and Ward might not need to play since Jalen Harris is coming back but they will add valuable depth if needed.

Going to be interesting on that OLine with Stovall, Reece and Savaiinea. Baker is the projected starting center and we also have Hand at guard. Sounds like Laie is coming back along with Morgan. So the inside of that line might be set. Fears will be back at left tackle but Morgan has been so inconsistent and injury prone.

I would not mind giving the keys to Fafita but my guess is he won’t be the game one starter.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

If Morgan is starting then our Oline issues will continue, unless he gets much much better in the off season. If Laie is coming back he should be moved back to LT.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Fears played the most snaps of anyone on the team at left tackle and showed improvement. I don’t think Laie’s future(if he has one in football) is at tackle, He should stay inside and play his way up to all conference. He needs more nastiness.

Agreed on Morgan but man, he looks good in his uniform. I think we are going to improve inside but we need some tackles
Last edited by azcat49 on Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

I think Fears played better this year, but last year he was not good. Hope his improvement continues.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

Regarding freshmen, generally they need at least a year of physical maturity and to learn the system and specific techniques as taught by their position coaches. Unless you've got a 5-star who is mature beyond his years who projects as a pro right out of high school, it's far from a slam dunk, even on a bad P5 college team. Also very position-specific. You might have players at RB, DE, K/P, and maybe another position or two who are unusually big, fast, and talented, where it's a position that was inadequately recruited, and who can get by on pure talent. There are maybe five or six true freshmen who figure to see the field and earn more and more time as the year goes on, but I wouldn't expect to see a bunch of black Servite Friar helmets out there in the starting lineup.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I know you are speaking GENERALLY it as we saw last year, by the end of the season several freshman were starting. Most notably two Fisch recruits in singer and Simpson.

TMac will start as will Burnett and we get Majon Wright back. On defense fewer of those guys will start but many will be in the rotation. We need one to emerge at CB so we can move Rowland-Wallace to safety.
TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

I'll concede TMac and Burnett in the two-deep, but Joiner, Wright, Simpson, and Lines will all push back to keep their positions, and all have the edge in experience. One or both might make some starts, especially if injuries there, but I wouldn't pencil them in as starters when we open in Mission Valley. Beyond those guys, I could also see A.J Jones and Kevin Greene getting some time, since it's a position of need. In any event, it's nice to get excited about incoming recruits again.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Whomever is on the opposite side of TMac should feast. He will command double teams.

Lines better improve as a blocker because Powell is 6’7” and a plus blocker. He may not start but I bet he is used in the red zone for sure. I just don’t see how Burnett doesn’t start at TE game one.

I do think this coaching staff will give these kids every chance to start and if it’s close they will get the nod
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Pac -12 football is no bueno
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

azcat49 wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:37 pm Whomever is on the opposite side of TMac should feast. He will command double teams.

Lines better improve as a blocker because Powell is 6’7” and a plus blocker. He may not start but I bet he is used in the red zone for sure. I just don’t see how Burnett doesn’t start at TE game one.

I do think this coaching staff will give these kids every chance to start and if it’s close they will get the nod
The kid Lev talked about yesterday is 6’-5” 295 burned one year at Baylor. He’s classified as a RS Fr.

He’s gonna help.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Yes, Divall. Think they felt he would have been in the rotation but for some reason they couldn’t get him eligible.

Fears (who played the most snaps last year), Laie, Baker, Donovan and Morgan should be in the lead come spring with Divall, Magnuson, Hand and Jean trying to break into the rotation.

The three freshman could surprise and add some depth. Savaiinea is huge and I think Stovall is coming in as a center and we lose McCauley so he and Hand will go for #1 and #2. Reece I really like but not sure he can get in the rotation.
Last edited by azcat49 on Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Has Laie announced if he is coming back or not, thought I had read that he may move on.
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

Joiner has done whatever has been asked of him. Running back, quarterback, receiver and done well. I would love to see him be able to stay at one position for the rest of his college career and excel. I do like that kid. I personally think Hines is going to slowly disappear. I thought he had a lot of drops last year late in the season and I think about 7 of those illegal procedure penalties we had in or near the red zone were on him. That has to change. I think TMac will play a lot and be a factor. I know I'll get disagreement on this but I think if we get our OL healthy and coach them up and QBs keep progressing we will be fine. That doesn't mean we shouldn't stop looking for upgrades. My big worry is injuries. Its a rough game and injuries are part of it but when an entire position group gets decimated that is an issue. If it happens two years in a row there is a problem and I sure hope we don't have that problem.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I think you meant Casteel? He had the most drops in the WR room by far and yes he lined up incorrectly or didn’t get set far to many times.

We are probably going up add the UTEP transfer so he and Green will play the slot. Singer and Joiner will be the most experienced of the group.

I am sure TMac starts and AJ Jones will be better than people think on the other side. We still also have Simpson who could play the slot or slip outside.

Burnett better play a lot and we better learn to throw the ball to the TE or I am coming out of the stands to confront our QB LOL.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

The number one key to the offseason I think is finding a LT, Morgan isn't it. Laie was much better in that spot as a true freshman and I still can't understand how nobody can dethrone Jordan "The Matador" Morgan.

And on the post above I think he was referring to Lines, the TE who was mainly used for blocking.
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

gronk4heisman wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 1:32 pm The number one key to the offseason I think is finding a LT, Morgan isn't it. Laie was much better in that spot as a true freshman and I still can't understand how nobody can dethrone Jordan "The Matador" Morgan.

And on the post above I think he was referring to Lines, the TE who was mainly used for blocking.
Thank you Mr grongk I did mean Lines. I think he played a lot more late in the season because Wolma was kind of dinged up. I know he was perpetrator of quite a few Illegal procedure penalties.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

UAEebs86 wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 6:29 pm
What??
AV8RCAT

Post by AV8RCAT »

My biggest concern is of course QB. Fisch has to thread the needle between building a strong future and getting some wins now. If Noah is really the future, I'm not sure we have a good bridge.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Personally, I think we'll be a significantly better team next year -although probably not enough to win more than 3 or 4.

On defense, our D line, linebacker, and DB play should all be better.

On offense, if they stay healthy, our line should improve. QB play should be better also. With RBs, I'm not so sure but I'm thinking at the least, there shouldn't be a drop-off in their play. At WR, I expect us to not be quite as good since Berryhill, Cunningham, and Casteel are all gone and McMillen is a youngster.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

...plus many of our guys will have an extra year in the system.
mofo

Post by mofo »

Carcassdragger wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:55 pmOn defense, our D line, linebacker, and DB play should all be better.
I'm not sure this is going to be the case after losing Don Brown. We'll probably end up with yet another defensive philosophy/scheme - our 3rd in 3 years.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

mofo wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:38 pm
Carcassdragger wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:55 pmOn defense, our D line, linebacker, and DB play should all be better.
I'm not sure this is going to be the case after losing Don Brown. We'll probably end up with yet another defensive philosophy/scheme - our 3rd in 3 years.
I agree with this. Dude was really good.
Sid

Post by Sid »

McCloud looked good as new slinging the rock the other day per his Twitter.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

What's the going for a FBS team to pay a FCS team to come in and get (supposedly) beat down?

$500K? That's the cost to the UA to get totally embarrassed by NAU.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

UA better hope this guy heads to the league.

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Sid

Post by Sid »

azgreg wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:18 pm
Sweet. I get to watch us bitch slap the quacks firsthand on family weekend!
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

I’m excited for 2022, the amount in incoming talent is great.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Too bad you just can't "roll out the ball" in football like you can in basketball.

Well, not really true in basketball, but you know what I mean. In basketball it's easier to win with superior talent even with marginal coaching. See Steve Lavin for one.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Progress!!!
AV8RCAT

Post by AV8RCAT »

Screw Athlon. They never give AZ any regard.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

5th in the South is showing us some regard. You could very easily rank us last.
AV8RCAT

Post by AV8RCAT »

Chicat wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:17 pm 5th in the South is showing us some regard. You could very easily rank us last.
Yeah you could.
Screw Athlon anyway.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

azgreg wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:24 am
Fisch has us in the top ten already.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

All of it is based on the hope and promise of our transfers and freshmen. We could still easily be the worst team in the conference next year but there is hope at least. Unfortunately we have a very tough schedule
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
AV8RCAT

Post by AV8RCAT »

I'd be satisfied with 3 conference wins, and no blowout losses.
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

Wow, amazing how far the Trees have fallen the past two years.
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

How David Shaw still has a job is amazing, also probably the second highest paid coach behind Riley as he brings that team further from relevancy and the culture Harbaugh left him further deteriorates.