Kerr Kriisa

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Beachcat97

Re: Kerr Kriisa

Post by Beachcat97 »

Jefe wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:47 am
Beachcat97 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:36 amHe's not a dunker
Can he dunk? I'd like to see a video of Ballo lifting him up
I'm sure he can dunk, but I very much doubt he can dunk in a game, save for a fast break.

He doesn't need to dunk, though. He can impact the game by being more aggressive driving to the basket. I'm not sure he has those head-fake and contact-drawing skills, where he can avoid getting stripped or blocked, get his defender in the air, and force the ref to call something.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Beachcat97 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:36 am Kriisa needs to get more comfortable with a few other shot types. He does take the occasional floater, but he doesn't hit many of them. Clearly he wants to take long shots, and when he's on, it's great. But when he's not...woah boy.

He's quick enough to get into the key, but we rarely see him actually take it to the basket. He's not a dunker, but he's definitely athletic enough to draw fouls. Feel like this is a glaring shortcoming in his game at the moment. He's too one-dimensional on offense.
Big agree here, and I believe we heard that the coaches worked with Kriisa to add the floater in this past offseason - so even that is a very recent addition to his game.

I thought our team needed to go harder at the rim last night and do a little foul seeking - we had plenty of fouls to give and the outside shots weren't falling. Getting called for an offensive foul would have been a better result than another missed shot leading to a break the other direction.

The boys should watch 50 hours of Allonzo Trier attacking the rim - nobody drew fouls like that dude.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I felt like I was watching video of myself playing basketball every time he took a shot

No one wants to see that
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

YoDeFoe wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:57 am
Beachcat97 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:36 am Kriisa needs to get more comfortable with a few other shot types. He does take the occasional floater, but he doesn't hit many of them. Clearly he wants to take long shots, and when he's on, it's great. But when he's not...woah boy.

He's quick enough to get into the key, but we rarely see him actually take it to the basket. He's not a dunker, but he's definitely athletic enough to draw fouls. Feel like this is a glaring shortcoming in his game at the moment. He's too one-dimensional on offense.
Big agree here, and I believe we heard that the coaches worked with Kriisa to add the floater in this past offseason - so even that is a very recent addition to his game.

I thought our team needed to go harder at the rim last night and do a little foul seeking - we had plenty of fouls to give and the outside shots weren't falling. Getting called for an offensive foul would have been a better result than another missed shot leading to a break the other direction.

The boys should watch 50 hours of Allonzo Trier attacking the rim - nobody drew fouls like that dude.
I mentioned Trier yesterday. In his first game back, after the banned substance BS, he came off the bench and scored double digits in a victory at Pauley. Feel like that was vintage Trier.

For all the slashers we have -- Benn, Terry, Kier -- we don't draw enough fouls. Even Kriisa and Larsson are quick enough to get in the lane and draw fouls. Just not seeing it happen enough.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Merkin wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:35 am Nico went 3/20 FG, 1/10 3PT v. Gonzaga so missed 17 shots.
Benn missed 17 shots last night and we are worried about Kerr? Benn needs to understand that in games that are in the tourney or big pac games contact will be allowed and he needs to play thru that. Stop looking for a call. By the way I thought the refs were good last night.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

TheCat wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:06 pm
Merkin wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:35 am Nico went 3/20 FG, 1/10 3PT v. Gonzaga so missed 17 shots.
Benn missed 17 shots last night and we are worried about Kerr? Benn needs to understand that in games that are in the tourney or big pac games contact will be allowed and he needs to play thru that. Stop looking for a call. By the way I thought the refs were good last night.
The difference, at least to my eye, is that Benn can score in a lot of different ways. He isn't as reliant on threes as Kerr. Benn did miss a lot of shots, but he was attacking the rim, which is what we want.

Kerr's offense needs to diversify. Would also like him to shoot about half as often and pass about twice as often.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

he is still very green but is tough as nails and works really hard. he should respond i think this season, but as he gains strength and maturity with age Kriisa will be a bear to deal with in a year or two and AZ fan favorite.

as for now, hit the open shot and make the right fast play. if he does that Arizona has as good a chance as anyone.

and make sure Tubelis is healthy - he looked like a wounded animal trying to blend in and UCLA just kept iso!!
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

I’d recommend shaving whatever he has going on his lip and chin; and ditch the headband.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Postmaster wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:20 pm I’d recommend shaving whatever he has going on his lip and chin; and ditch the headband.
That should help performance, at least that's what George Steinbrenner has taught me.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

gronk4heisman wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:53 am
Postmaster wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:20 pm I’d recommend shaving whatever he has going on his lip and chin; and ditch the headband.
That should help performance, at least that's what George Steinbrenner has taught me.
I am a Yankee fan.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Postmaster wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:00 am
I am a Yankee fan.
As am I and think it is the stupidest rule I have heard any owner do in any sport. Let people be themselves.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

The A's had it going on, huge fan back then.

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I don’t play RAP, but if I did I would take Kerr VS ASU
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

I thought that first pic was The Monkees, not the A’s.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

He will see a bunch of ISO tomorrow and going forward. Hope he is ready
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

He really needs to develop another piece to his offensive game other than the 3. That way he can build some confidence watching the ball go through the hoop when his outside shot isn’t falling.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Where did that little floater go?
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

So what I think happened in yesterdays game is that Kerr made it a bit about himself with the court kiss etc. What I liked was Tommy shortly called him over and you could tell he was having a serious conversation with him. Confidence and swagger is important but drawing attention to yourself isn't what was needed or quite frankly warranted. I agree he can expand his game and he wont be a one trick pony. The other thing is he is only about 20 games into his college career so we can cut him a break.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Tommy needs to tell him he's only allowed to shoot threes if he gets his feet set and squares up.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Robert A Booey

Post by Robert A Booey »

He has to stop shooting so much. He's ice cold and he's still launching shots non stop.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I didn't think Kerr took any (maybe 1) ill-advised shots last night. He was looking for his teammates all night and took his shots when he needed to or when wide open.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Also, during the latter part of the second half we had a few possessions where the shot clock was running out and he was forced to put up a shot.

I don't blame him for that.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

I like CSL's post-game comment: "4-14 is better than 0-14"!!

Kerr's doing fine - let him go!!
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Merkin wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:17 am Image
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Alieberman wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:06 am I didn't think Kerr took any (maybe 1) ill-advised shots last night. He was looking for his teammates all night and took his shots when he needed to or when wide open.
This is ultimately the long term test. Each player has shots they can consistently make. I think you want them shooting those shots until you start to believe they just cannot make them.

He was 37% from 3 in December and January before his 2-17 vs UCLA and ASU. To me, that says he can make the shots he's taking so you let him work it out.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I thought he played pretty passive today. Only two assists and I thought he missed Koloko and Tubelis with their man sealed off way too many times. But he did hit some big shots and as usual was the emotional leader alongside Terry.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

He hit some big shots especially the 3 that tied the game and changed the momentum of the game. It was a rough matchup defensively and he struggled on 1-1 situations against bigger and stronger players. CTL also sat him a bunch mainly because of that plus he wasn’t contributing too much on offense.

But when the game was on the line Big Balls Kriisa came through.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

He is a bit over the top for me. His attitude at the press conference with AT was annoying since he was interrupting AT at times. He needs to mature a bit but he has only played in about 30 games. Like the fire but needs to direct it better. Reggie was one of those guys but for the most part he let his game do the talking.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Love Kerr.

Love knowing that all the hate will just make him better too.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Olsondogg wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:58 pm Love Kerr.

That is so cute… I love your tribalism.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Harvey Specter wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:09 am
Olsondogg wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:58 pm Love Kerr.

That is so cute… I love your tribalism.
Right back at your shit posts
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Siempre Verde

Post by Siempre Verde »

My wife was chatting up some folks en la playa norte on Isla Mujeres today. Turns out they were from Estonia. I asked them if they knew Kerr Kriisa. All three said yes! A basketball player! One said, in US at a college. I said, yes, my college! Arizona! He said, yes. I’ve heard that.

That’s it. No more. Just thought it was cool to have a touchstone moment with two Estonian men and one Estonian woman on a beach in Mexico over a BTTW dude.
Last edited by Siempre Verde on Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Cool! Do Estonians do the Big Balls dance?
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

:lol:
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Kerr loves giving him shit
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Alieberman wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:12 pm Kerr loves giving him shit
As he should. Scheer is a tough in game follow.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

As a player (not a person), Kerr Kriisa has a screw loose. Often, it's actually a good thing, though not measurable by stats.

Beyond just the headband, as a player (not a person), his particular spirit is starting to remind me of Chris Rodgers but without the killer on-ball defense, which would have made this Arizona team invincible.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Don’t ever talk about Chris Rodgers again. Between him and Marcus Williams, I cannot decide who I liked less in an AZ uni
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Chris Rodgers had to set the UA record for dribbling the longest without advancing or passing the ball.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

But have you ever watched Chris Rodgers play at the Rec? #MVP
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Longhorned wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:38 pm As a player (not a person), Kerr Kriisa has a screw loose. Often, it's actually a good thing, though not measurable by stats.

Beyond just the headband, as a player (not a person), his particular spirit is starting to remind me of Chris Rodgers but without the killer on-ball defense, which would have made this Arizona team invincible.
Sorry LH. I see little resemblance between Kriisa and Rodgers.

And you think you know Chris Rodgers.
But you don’t….etc.etc. Etc.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

We really do live in a very small universe.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Alieberman wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 4:15 pm But have you ever watched Chris Rodgers play at the Rec? #MVP
Just don't let him play with any Asians.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

Irish27 wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:52 pm
Whatever else you can say about this kid, he has HUGE balls! :D
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

One interesting little tidbit - ranking 34 Arizona players to play point guard since 1987-88 in their final year of play - steals/1000 minutes played:
1. Chris Rogers (80)
34. Kerr Krissa (19)
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

That’s only because the other team couldn’t be sure that Chris Rodgers wasn’t carrying a gun.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

2.2 steals per game as a SR. A/TO of 1.6 to 1.2.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/pl ... ers-1.html