Sean Miller

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Beachcat97

Re: Sean Miller

Post by Beachcat97 »

Irish27 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:26 pm Archie has a better chance of getting the Maryland job than Sean.
Seriously? Why? Sean's resume is so much better than Archie's it's laughable. Or is it just because of the recruiting bullshit?
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Beachcat97 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:40 pm
UofAlum05 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:47 am Miller would absolutely kill it at Maryland but they won't hire him.
He’s gonna get another shot somewhere. This one may’ve come up too soon.
As soon as schools are assured there will be no show cause penalty on Sean he will be snapped up and he will be on a vengeance tour.
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

There were no allegations against Sean that would come anywhere near warranting a show cause penalty.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

BBQ wildcat wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:29 pm There were no allegations against Sean that would come anywhere near warranting a show cause penalty.

That's my understanding too. Just loss of institutional control, which is pretty minor in comparison.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Merkin wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:44 pm
BBQ wildcat wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:29 pm There were no allegations against Sean that would come anywhere near warranting a show cause penalty.

That's my understanding too. Just loss of institutional control, which is pretty minor in comparison.
Agree with you guys 100% but AD's wont go out on a limb if they can't answer that question. The good part is whomever hires him they will also get Archie for a bit.
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

If CSM really can't get another HC job, good for him.. I want him to be able to wring out every last dollar that he possibly can from the administration that fucked him over.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

BBQ wildcat wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:42 am If CSM really can't get another HC job, good for him.. I want him to be able to wring out every last dollar that he possibly can from the administration that fucked him over.
Ummm, no. That affects our current programs so not wishing that kind of revenge. I do wish him well and hope he gets another shot because he not only deserves it because he was screwed over but he exited with such class and allowed us to transition seamlessly when he could have caused a lot of uproar.

He’s also a heck of a coach and kick ass recruiter.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

BBQ wildcat wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:42 am If CSM really can't get another HC job, good for him.. I want him to be able to wring out every last dollar that he possibly can from the administration that fucked him over.
Both CSM and Sumlin had clauses in their contract that they needed to mitigate damages by seeking out employment if fired without cause.

So maybe CSM is toxic, not sure why. Sumlin probably is probably never going to get another job coaching. No need to with the millions he made from aTm and UA.

But Robbins/Heeke really need to pay for trying to destroy the program last season by not letting the team go to the NCAA tourney.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Sean and Archie 3rd podcast with the Van Gundy brothers. You learn so much about the relationships in the coaching fraternity. For example....Prov head coach Rick Pitino was recruiting Sean and who was his host during his visit...Billy Donavon. Who was on Pitino staff? Stan Van Gundy and Herb Sendek. Stan Van Gundy talk about some guy that I was unfamiliar with that he says was the most efficient guy he had ever been around and is the most efficient in NBA history and still playing. They talk about the role of the big guy....Sean talks about Aytpn a lot and how proud he is of him. Worth a listen. https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cH ... AQAg&hl=en
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Merkin wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:41 am
Both CSM and Sumlin had clauses in their contract that they needed to mitigate damages by seeking out employment if fired without cause.

So maybe CSM is toxic, not sure why. Sumlin probably is probably never going to get another job coaching. No need to with the millions he made from aTm and UA.

But Robbins/Heeke really need to pay for trying to destroy the program last season by not letting the team go to the NCAA tourney.
I've never understood the Miller is toxic talk on here. I think it's as simple as this. He didn't seem to want to jump to the NBA. With the IARP pending and him named, the college jobs he could get are not the quality he'll get when the IARP is done, assuming a reasonable personal penalty.

So, instead of jumping at a job beneath what he would rate for, he seems to be holding out until the IARP is done and he can be marketable. This is smart, IMO. A terrible program can bring down a good coach.

So it's just two things. He's not putting in for bad jobs and better jobs aren't looking to take on the IARP process. Which, frankly, might not be bad. He has plenty of money and college coaching is tough on your personal life. A year off after this many grinding can be good.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Will he still be alive when the IARP process ends? Will any of us?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

gronk4heisman wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:17 am Will he still be alive when the IARP process ends? Will any of us?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

azgreg wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:36 am
gronk4heisman wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:17 am Will he still be alive when the IARP process ends? Will any of us?
The true villain of Titanic right there. Instead of setting her children and grandchildren up with generational wealth, she chucks millions into the ocean after a one night stand she basically murdered because she didn't want to share a piece of wood two people could definitely fit on.

What were we talking about again?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

She’s the Book Richardson of movie villains.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:24 pm She’s the Book Richardson of movie villains.
Just a note for married people. My wife and I went to Las Vegas to visit family for Thanksgiving. We took the tram from the C gates to baggage claim.

Your wife may not like it if you grab two of the handpoles, stretch forward and yell "I'm flying Jack," as the tram begins to move.

RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

I love how people willfully keep ignoring that when Jack tries to climb on the wood (not a door) it capsizes and starts to flip over.

Not to mention the biggest crime of all of ignoring that fact is that the ending (and story overall) would make no sense if he lived. He's supposed to die!
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

RondaeShimmy wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:23 pm I love how people willfully keep ignoring that when Jack tries to climb on the wood (not a door) it capsizes and starts to flip over.

Not to mention the biggest crime of all of ignoring that fact is that the ending (and story overall) would make no sense if he lived. He's supposed to die!
Oh, that first attempt at getting you up here was a little shaky. Nothing else to do but leave you to freeze to death and sink to the bottom of the ocean. Cold blooded.

The story overall is a homage to infidelity and placing some dude you knew for 3-4 days over the children and family you actually had and probably really loved you.

Rose could have learned a thing or two from Sean and Archie Miller, who know the value of family.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:04 pm
RondaeShimmy wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:23 pm I love how people willfully keep ignoring that when Jack tries to climb on the wood (not a door) it capsizes and starts to flip over.

Oh, that first attempt at getting you up here was a little shaky. Nothing else to do but leave you to freeze to death and sink to the bottom of the ocean. Cold blooded.

The story overall is a homage to infidelity and placing some dude you knew for 3-4 days over the children and family you actually had and probably really loved you.

Rose could have learned a thing or two from Sean and Archie Miller, who know the value of family.
It wasn't able to hold both of their weights without it capsizing. They could've showed it being done a hundred times happening over and over but you can't do that in a movie.

Mythbusters tested this and said Jack would have to swing underwater for like 5-10+ minutes to tie Rose's life jacket under the wood to make it more buoyant, with Rose's life jacket. Jack would've died being underwater for 5-10+ minutes anyway, and in the chaos of it all would've never thought to do that. In the end she used the life jacket to swim to the whistle when the rescue boats came.

I don't exactly feel bad about her leaving what is essentially an arranged marriage to be (hadn't happened yet) by her mom so she could keep he social standing because her husband lost their fortune. She was essentially being pimped out and found someone she actually liked and not someone forced on her.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Jesus we really discussing the morality of Titanic. The best thing that came out of that movie was Cameron working with experts to find out what really caused it to sink. There was some book that the experts were always referring to so I thought I would buy it and read it. Paperback was over a grand. I guess one printing by a small company. Wish I could remember the name of the book now.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

All you really need to know about Titanic is that God sent that iceberg as punishment for Rose being a total whore much like how God sent Bobby Robbins to punish us for enjoying Sean Miller’s top rated recruiting classes.

God punishes those who pose like French prostitutes. Remember that…
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Andre Iguodunkya

Post by Andre Iguodunkya »

Chicat wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:24 pm She’s the Book Richardson of movie villains.
And a bit of a tramp if you ask me
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

This thread just gets better by the day.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:41 pm All you really need to know about Titanic is that God sent that iceberg as punishment for Rose being a total whore much like how God sent Bobby Robbins to punish us for enjoying Sean Miller’s top rated recruiting classes.

I feel like you at least have to mention that the guy who bounced off the propeller, made a loud gong noise and pinwheeled into the water was one of the more unintentionally funny scenes in movie history.

It's a mass tragedy and then you get slapstick comedy midway through.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:29 am
Chicat wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:41 pm All you really need to know about Titanic is that God sent that iceberg as punishment for Rose being a total whore much like how God sent Bobby Robbins to punish us for enjoying Sean Miller’s top rated recruiting classes.

I feel like you at least have to mention that the guy who bounced off the propeller, made a loud gong noise and pinwheeled into the water was one of the more unintentionally funny scenes in movie history.

That’s called “pulling a Josiah Turner”.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:40 am

I thought it was more like when Jason Williams rode Jason Gardner like a little horsey and still didn't get a foul call.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

.... rode him down like a teaser pony ....

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

84Cat wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:18 pm
Fascinating to see Miller talk about Arizona. Liked to see how complimentary he was towards his returners and their talent and coachability. He mentioned some of the good offensive stats under Lloyd which seems to continue the professional respect between those two that's been evident.

His brief mention of last year's tourney bad stuck out the most. He didn't say it, but I got a strong sense of an undercurrent of frustration, and rightfully so. He mentioned how hungry the guys were after being denied the tourney last year and it just furthers my extreme dislike of Heeke and Robbins for taking the tournament from last year's team in order to force Miller out.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Spiff post is spot on. He should get a ton of credit for what he did with last years team and keeping them together and bought in. He also deserves credit for being a stand up guy and not bashing the program, or more apropos, the incompetent administration
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Chicat wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:40 am

He said “gong”, not bong.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

I can’t believe so many of you have watched the movie.
When I was asked if I wanted to go see it, my reply was “No, I know how it ended.”
Last edited by Postmaster on Fri Dec 17, 2021 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Sean and Arch talking about leagues and reasons for invites to the tourney. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMywL7kL9OY
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Aaron Torres podcast did an interview with CSM, was a good interview, love hearing him on field of 68 with Archie.

Will always have a spot in my heart for CSM.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

U.P. Zona Fan wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 6:54 am Aaron Torres podcast did an interview with CSM, was a good interview, love hearing him on field of 68 with Archie.

He is a good man. Seemingly no grudge and holds Arizona and Lloyd in high regard.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

U.P. Zona Fan wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 6:54 am Aaron Torres podcast did an interview with CSM, was a good interview, love hearing him on field of 68 with Archie.

Really interesting he said he wouldn't have made it to year 4 at Arizona if USC didn't change coaches and didn't get that USC kids.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

RondaeShimmy wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:16 am

Really interesting he said he wouldn't have made it to year 4 at Arizona if USC didn't change coaches and didn't get that USC kids.
He’s not wrong. That class was a gift from Floyd
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

After listening to the Aaron Torres podcast with Sean….it is clear he is bitter towards ESPN writers. Deservedly so. He repeatedly thanks Aaron for being honest and open to making mistakes and correcting them when proven wrong.

Also thought he took a shot at Remi Martin (lol) by saying Bill Self is having a good run this year without a great point guard.

He had a lot of praise for Arizona and Tommy Lloyd.

Really good interview. I hope he finds a good landing spot next season or the one after.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Agree. It was good to listen to Sean. i can't wait to see where he lands.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

It was a great interview and Miller was articulate and classy as always.

He did take a fainted shot at ESIP, as he should. I hope Saturday those in attendance at game day can thank him by letting ESPIN know our thoughts.

And of course I chuckled at the Martin dig. So true. I was surprised he heaped such praise on Self though. Also good info on the 2ptFG efficiency and how important that is
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Former Arizona coach Sean Miller: Wildcats to beat Kentucky for national title

Speaking on the The Field of 68 podcast, with Jeff Goodman along with brother Archie Miller, Miller predicted the UA to beat Kentucky in the national title game, which would be a rematch of the 1997 final when Arizona won its only championship.

“You could say, ‘oh, you’re just saying that because you were the coach last year,’ Miller said. “I could easily not even bring it up. I’m just calling how I really see it and feel.”

https://www.azdesertswarm.com/basketbal ... riisa-2022
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

HiCat wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:28 pm Former Arizona coach Sean Miller: Wildcats to beat Kentucky for national title

Speaking on the The Field of 68 podcast, with Jeff Goodman along with brother Archie Miller, Miller predicted the UA to beat Kentucky in the national title game, which would be a rematch of the 1997 final when Arizona won its only championship.

“You could say, ‘oh, you’re just saying that because you were the coach last year,’ Miller said. “I could easily not even bring it up. I’m just calling how I really see it and feel.”

Props to Miller. I see it the opposite, where he has every incentive to trash Arizona after the way he got treated, but he shows nothing but love for the program and the team he coached.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

SethDavis suggest that Sean is in consideration for South Carolina job...

https://twitter.com/SethDavisHoops/stat ... 4825370631
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

After coaching at Arizona you think Miller would want to go to South Carolina?

Just doesn’t fit.
FreeSpiritCat

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

EastCoastCat wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:14 pm After coaching at Arizona you think Miller would want to go to South Carolina?

Just doesn’t fit.
Not only that. The IARP hasn’t ruled yet.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Florida lost their coach to Georgia, they need to hire him
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

RondaeShimmy wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:19 pm Florida lost their coach to Georgia, they need to hire him
If you ask Florida fans, they're pretty happy about losing their coach, especially to a conf rival
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:39 pm
HiCat wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:28 pm Former Arizona coach Sean Miller: Wildcats to beat Kentucky for national title

Props to Miller. I see it the opposite, where he has every incentive to trash Arizona after the way he got treated, but he shows nothing but love for the program and the team he coached.
All class out of Miller.

I hope the true fans give him a standing O next time he plays are McKale.

He deserves a lot for righting the ship, weathering the storms and getting us to where we are now with transition
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

The most interesting thing he says in that whole pod cast is that good offense will beat good defense. When Goodman says that is saying a lot from a D minded coach he says he has changed his thoughts on that. I think this was an evolution as the O really loosened up in his last 2 years.
Last edited by TheCat on Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

TheCat wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:25 pm The most interesting thing he says in that whole pod cast is that good offense will beat good defense. When Goodman says that is saying a lot from a D minded coach he says he has he has changed his thoughts on that. I think this was an evolution as the O really loosened up in his last 2 years.
Yeah, I watched that yesterday as well and when he said that, I was really surprised….it seems like CSM has evolved a bit on the Offense. Very interesting.