Sean Miller

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

BBQ wildcat

Re: Sean Miller

Post by BBQ wildcat »

One thing I will be very interested in seeing:

CSM had a year off and got to watch HIS recruits totally fucking blossom in a different offensive system. Will he change his system now? Or recruit differently? Or stick with his system regardless of the talent he gets?
prh

Post by prh »

BBQ wildcat wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 5:38 pm One thing I will be very interested in seeing:

CSM had a year off and got to watch HIS recruits totally fucking blossom in a different offensive system. Will he change his system now? Or recruit differently? Or stick with his system regardless of the talent he gets?
Something in between. He was already shifting his recruiting, I suspect his system was going to change a bit with it. This off year getting to watch everyone will probably accelerate it.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

Coach Miller can never be an arch-rival to me or the Wildcats IMHO. He was the one screwed over by our program and not vice-versa. Will always love that Dude and consider him part of us. BTFD Coach Miller!
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Chicat wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 5:12 pm I won’t speak for other mods, but I’m not moving this thread anywhere.

Sean Miller didn’t take some other job and break our hearts. My dude was FUCKED OVER. He got just a raw deal as the players and fans last year, if not much worse.

He’s not my arch-rival. And he will always be a Wildcat in my mind. If others disagree, someone put up a poll thread and let’s vote.
I say we don't move it until we play Xavier 1 day.

Knowing the Selection Committee it will be in the 1st round next year.
TheGreatCatsby

Post by TheGreatCatsby »

Would be incredibly ironic if next season and thereafter we're still dealing with Sean's sanctions while he's off coaching another team. Sure, he may get a wrist slap co-penalty, but seems dumb penalizing us at this point when all the perpetrators are long gone and have been hired elsewhere. And the NIL has made an assistant coach taking $20k to steer some shoe money to a player's family positively quaint. Am rooting for Sean to succeed at Xavier, though.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

I would say until the day Miller defeats Arizona in the NCAAs, he remains a Wildcat. That dude fought like hell to remain at Arizona.
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

I called it back in the coaching carousel thread, those fans were chomping at the bit to get him or Chris Mack back
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Thread stays.
Bangkok Wildcat

Chicat wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 5:12 pm I won’t speak for other mods, but I’m not moving this thread anywhere.

Sean Miller didn’t take some other job and break our hearts. My dude was FUCKED OVER. He got just a raw deal as the players and fans last year, if not much worse.

He’s not my arch-rival. And he will always be a Wildcat in my mind. If others disagree, someone put up a poll thread and let’s vote.
This 💯, BTFD Coach Miller…you’ll always be loved here at Arizona!
Bangkok Wildcat

JMarkJohns wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 6:22 pm I would say until the day Miller defeats Arizona in the NCAAs, he remains a Wildcat. That dude fought like hell to remain at Arizona.
Yeah, sadly you know the NCAA is already chomping at the bit to match us up at the next earliest possibility…ughh.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Fendicent4ever

Post by Fendicent4ever »

Chicat wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:58 pm
Love that, and the news. I'm a fan of Sean Millers forever.

What a stupid system and organization the NCAA is. Especially when the entire fed situation has proven to be incompetent entrapment. Stuff happened when incoming recruits were in 6th grade. Its time to call it off...
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

All the best to you coach. You've handled everything with class. I'll be watching Xavier going forward (but you'll always be a Wildcat). Bear down.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

“Ray Smith is one of the most talented young players that has ever entered our program. The news of his injury is incredibly disappointing on several levels. However, the togetherness of our program is one of our strengths. Our great fans, former and current players, our medical and coaching staffs along with Ray’s family look forward to the challenges of helping him reach all of his goals and dreams. His journey in getting to the top of the mountain might be different, but I have tremendous belief that he will get there with this type of support, his amazing determination to succeed and the love of the game of basketball that he possesses. Today, Ray Smith remains one of the most talented young players we have ever had at Arizona and that has not changed.”
About a year ago I began my statement regarding Ray Smith’s season-ending injury by saying, “Ray Smith is one of the most talented young players that has ever entered our program.” Unfortunately, I begin this year’s statement by reiterating the special talent that Ray has on the basketball court and once again addressing a season-ending knee injury.

In the 25 years I have been a college basketball coach, I have never felt as helpless as I did when I saw him go down on Tuesday night. No 19-year-old kid should have to experience three season-ending injuries in a 30-month period of time. I have watched Ray work with our strength and conditioning coach tirelessly for two years. I have seen him in our training room around the clock, doing everything he can to play the game he loves. To witness his extraordinary efforts and see this happen to him once again is beyond disheartening.

Ray is surrounded by a community that loves Arizona Basketball, current and former teammates that look at him as a brother, and a coaching staff and family that is beyond supportive and forever with him. Although the mountain that Ray is climbing continues to change, my belief in him to be a resounding success in life has never been stronger. His intelligence, charisma and sheer will position him to be special in all that he does. I certainly look forward to helping him, as part of our basketball family, reach all of the goals that he sets out to achieve.”
These two quotes from Sean Miller told me everything I ever needed to know about the man’s character.

They occurred back to back, immediately following Sean’s Elite 8 seasons, so his hunger for the Final 4 was at its zenith from having been so close.

Yet, when you read them, there isn’t an ounce of Why Me or Woe Is Me, and instead focuses the entirety of loss into the context of the young man and his journey.

That 2016-17 team was supremely talented, lost to Xavier in Sweet 16 because it lacked the athletic lanky wing defender like Smith, so the basketball gods were cruel fucking assholes, so I’m hoping whatever weird karmatic event that occurred in Miller’s life has been assuaged and he’s free to earn that Final 4.

I’ll root just as hard for it, even now at Xavier.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

TheGreatCatsby wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 5:49 pm Would be incredibly ironic if next season and thereafter we're still dealing with Sean's sanctions while he's off coaching another team. Sure, he may get a wrist slap co-penalty, but seems dumb penalizing us at this point when all the perpetrators are long gone and have been hired elsewhere. And the NIL has made an assistant coach taking $20k to steer some shoe money to a player's family positively quaint. Am rooting for Sean to succeed at Xavier, though.
Aren’t Heeke/Robbins named in the allegation? Or at least the “Administration “?
Accused of interfering or not cooperating?
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Postmaster wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 11:52 am
TheGreatCatsby wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 5:49 pm Would be incredibly ironic if next season and thereafter we're still dealing with Sean's sanctions while he's off coaching another team. Sure, he may get a wrist slap co-penalty, but seems dumb penalizing us at this point when all the perpetrators are long gone and have been hired elsewhere. And the NIL has made an assistant coach taking $20k to steer some shoe money to a player's family positively quaint. Am rooting for Sean to succeed at Xavier, though.
Aren’t Heeke/Robbins named in the allegation? Or at least the “Administration “?
Accused of interfering or not cooperating?
Heeke and Robbins are alleged to have met with Book absent NCAA knowledge, permission, inclusion and said event contributed to Lack Of Institutional Control L1 levied.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

If anybody can get him to reconsider CSM can.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Not really. The lion's share of head coaches have moved on unaffected. Larranaga and Pearl played each other last night; Self, Underwood and Enfield all made the tourney this year.

The NCAA has never accused Miller of actually doing anything against the rules, it's all failure to control others that the allegations here are based on.

I'm a big fan of Miller's and hope he wins (again) big time at Xavier.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Anyone seen the presser where Sean is introduced?
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

TheCat wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:39 pm Former players talking about Sean.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/run-brick-wa ... 23157.html
I said this in the Lloyd thread, it applies here too.

I'm happy the pretty universal feedback on both Lloyd and Miller from players is respect and loyalty. Guys like Lyons ride for Miller to this day.

I value that heavily in Arizona coaches. I couldn't care less what outsiders (myself included) think about a coach. I want guys who get loyalty and respect from their players. That's what truly matters.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Wonder is any of the current Arizona players that were recruited by Sean will enter the portal and transfer to Xavier? DT, ZU and Kerr would all fall under that umbrella. That way Heeke and Robbins would reap what they sow.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

TheCat wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:49 am Wonder is any of the current Arizona players that were recruited by Sean will enter the portal and transfer to Xavier? DT, ZU and Kerr would all fall under that umbrella. That way Heeke and Robbins would reap what they sow.
With Terry's dad ripping the prior coaching staff, I doubt that's an option. Kerr liked Miller but seems to be positive about Lloyd as well. Tubelis is a little hard to read.

The part I'd be more on is whether guys like Shane Nowell or KJ Simpson might want to head off. Those are the kind of guys who were Miller recruits you wonder about. Simpson bailed as soon as Miller got fired. Nowell stayed, but seems obviously behind Terry, Larsson and Bal in next year's rotation.
Lando05

Post by Lando05 »

Zero chance Terry goes to Xavier but the NBA that's a different question.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

TheCat wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 12:11 pm That didn't take long.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/xavier-head- ... 43662.html
I've heard he's a witch.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Didn't watch all of it, but I love how he mentioned trust between himself and the university, and a "shared vision". He knows he won't get screwed over by a shitty President at Xavier.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

It's bittersweet to watch Sean move into this new job. I really did think he'd be at AZ for most of his coaching career. The UofA administration did him wrong, and it'll always suck. I'm going to follow Xavier much more closely now.

All that said, I love Tommy Lloyd. Given the circumstances, we came out okay.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

The surprising thing is he said he and Mick Cronin became good friends.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

AZCatGirl wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:47 pm Didn't watch all of it, but I love how he mentioned trust between himself and the university, and a "shared vision". He knows he won't get screwed over by a shitty President at Xavier.
Well as long as he doesn't hire two dipshit assistants who break rules and get caught doing so.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

...and, when mistakes are made and the consequences of those mistakes are felt, that’s another way of learning… and, I’ve learned that too.”
- CSM
I take this as a tacit acknowledgement that what happened to him at Arizona was not a "victimless crime" of which he was the victim. He bears meaningful responsibility for what happened, and for the eventual outcome....
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Coach looks really really happy. He's really smiling a lot..I wish him the best.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

I figured the “mistakes” were all the grad transfers that weren’t Pac -12 good.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

'Something that I have to do': Sean Miller's back. Here's what happens next at Xavier
Adam Baum, Cincinnati Enquirer
Sat, March 26, 2022, 7:29 AM

I think that playing faster – so if you watch the tempo, we didn't walk the ball up ever, any team that I've ever coached – but there is one more level to playing speed-wise," said Miller. "And I really want to do that. To do that, sometimes the defense has to extend a little bit more. Because that forces tempo as well, those two are tied together."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/something-se ... 05923.html
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

If you want to understand CSM change in philosophy just watch his podcasts. In one of them he says good offense will beat good defense. He had started to embrace that at Ariz but I think he has come to the realization what Walton has always said is true.
Last edited by TheCat on Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Is it possible that bill Walton is CTL's shaman and CTL turned CSM on to him at some point?

Is it possible that bill Walton is a secret genius?

I say silly things.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

pc in NM wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 8:16 am
...and, when mistakes are made and the consequences of those mistakes are felt, that’s another way of learning… and, I’ve learned that too.”
- CSM
I take this as a tacit acknowledgement that what happened to him at Arizona was not a "victimless crime" of which he was the victim. He bears meaningful responsibility for what happened, and for the eventual outcome....
I see it more as two things. Learning from the past and also realizing that life leaves you where it leaves you whether that's fair or not.

I see more of that second half of things. Whether his time at Arizona was fair or not, the consequences still are what they are to him and to others.

It's more constructive and mature than me just constantly hating on Robbins.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Xavier won the NIT with an interim coach.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Does Sean keep him as an assistant?
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

I imagine he's headed to Xavier. Who else is Sean taking?
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Jefe wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:32 am Does Sean keep him as an assistant?
Sean offered him a spot as his #2
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Jefe wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:37 am I imagine he's headed to Xavier. Who else is Sean taking?
Hopefully not EPOY but we know how Tommy was ticked at him for failing to get enough quarter zips at the start of the season (I think I'm joking?)
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

0:01 / 1:23:27
Arizona vs. Duke 2011 Sweet Sixteen (Full Game)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiotQH8BvqY

Sean Miller's second year at Az. Great flashback.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Thad Matta also returning to Butler
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

YoDeFoe wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:46 am
He got the head coaching job at Georgia State.

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

UAEebs86 wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:34 pm
YoDeFoe wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:46 am
He got the head coaching job at Georgia State.

It's always enticing the way this freshly-showered Georgia State math professor catches your eye and says, "Super naughty professor sex":

https://www.gsu.edu/
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Anyone have $3.5M laying around??

If you do you can buy Sean Millers house

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6015 ... 8168_zpid/
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Not enough wine on the rack for me.
Next.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.