Sean Miller

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

BBQ wildcat

Re: Sean Miller

Post by BBQ wildcat »

TheCat wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 5:28 pm Luckily he has a team that could go a ways in the tourney. Hope he gets to the final four even if it means beating Ariz.
This! He is a great guy who in no way deserved to be treated the way he was by Bobbinsheeke. If they had canned him when the NOA came out, I could understand it. But not the way it was done. Will never forgive them for how they screwed him and the players over.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

BBQ wildcat wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 5:45 pm
TheCat wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 5:28 pm Luckily he has a team that could go a ways in the tourney. Hope he gets to the final four even if it means beating Ariz.
This! He is a great guy who in no way deserved to be treated the way he was by Bobbinsheeke. If they had canned him when the NOA came out, I could understand it. But not the way it was done. Will never forgive them for how they screwed him and the players over.
If Miller beats Lloyd in the FF I'll be so proud of them both! My vindication (as if it were about me) would be complete.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

My favorite part of the espn story/interview:
IN HIS SECOND season at Arizona, Sean Miller led the Wildcats to their first Pac-12 title in six years. To mark the achievement, he invited the team and their families over to his home for a celebration.

"I remember thinking, 'Wow, this is awesome,'" Miller said. "That was the last party I ever had. Once we got past that first one, it was like, 'Look, there is a bigger picture. When are we getting to the Final Four?' And instead of that being helpful, I really think that sometimes, looking back, when that's what is fueling you, there are a lot of moments you're skipping over that you could have enjoyed. And if you had enjoyed them, maybe you would have been able to get there."
If this is a direct consequence of his termination and ensuing layoff, then, as weird as it might sound, CSM owes a huge “thank you” to “Bobbinsheeke” - he definitely sounds healthier, and will likely be an even better coach (not to mention, probably live longer)!
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

TheCat wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 5:28 pmLuckily he has a team that could go a ways in the tourney. Hope he gets to the final four even if it means beating Ariz.
Hell no
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

WTF? Root for Miller over the Cats in a game as huge as getting yo the FF? Never would I think I would see a cat fan post that. Love the guy but if we go head to head I want a dub. Especially if it’s for a FF
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

azcat49 wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 3:58 pm

WTF? Root for Miller over the Cats in a game as huge as getting yo the FF? Never would I think I would see a cat fan post that. Love the guy but if we go head to head I want a dub. Especially if it’s for a FF
Concur. I am a U of A fan. I am cheering for Sean to do well, for sure...I am a fan of his for life. But I am an Arizona fan...that's how I came to like Sean. We were here before him and will be after him.

I've never understood attaching myself to a single person in any form. You see it in politics all the time, people drinking kool-aid over a single person, albeit a leader, but still just one human being with all the requisite flaws. I support people who help my team win, but they are interchangeable.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

EVCat wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:30 am I've never understood attaching myself to a single person in any form.

Same, huge fan of Lute, but if he would have taken off for Kentucky he would have been out of sight, out of mind, as Miller will be soon enough.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Wait...what??

My Miller love ends the moment his team is set to face AZ. Let's keep things straight.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

bizarre
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

97cats wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:41 ambizarre
Moronic is a better way to put it. I like Sean, but man I couldn't imagine having that much Stockholm Syndrome to ever say anything like that. None of you have any business hoping a Sean Miller coached team ever beats Arizona if you consider yourselves an Arizona fan. It's absolutely insane I even have to say that.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

ChooChooCat wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:48 am
Moronic is a better way to put it. I like Sean, but man I couldn't imagine having that much Stockholm Syndrome to ever say anything like that. None of you have any business hoping a Sean Miller coached team ever beats Arizona if you consider yourselves an Arizona fan. It's absolutely insane I even have to say that.
Choo not sure you really get the bigger picture here. I know you didn't like Sean but what better way to expose our worthless administration than to have the coach they terminated beat us in an all important game. Sometimes you have to think beyond the short term for the long term benefit. Getting rid of this admin would help us in many sports. Moronic is kind of a strong comment over the winner of a basketball game but if it makes you feel better more power to you.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

TheCat wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:54 am
Choo not sure you really get the bigger picture here. I know you didn't like Sean but what better way to expose our worthless administration than to have the coach they terminated beat us in an all important game. Sometimes you have to think beyond the short term for the long term benefit. Getting rid of this admin would help us in many sports. Moronic is kind of a strong comment over the winner of a basketball game but if it makes you feel better more power to you.
You CSM diehards and anti Robbins/Heeke agitators want to throw the baby out with the bathwater!!! :oops:
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

List of coaches I would root for in a game against an Arizona team:
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

TheCat wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:54 am
I like Sean, I just thought his time at Arizona had come to an end. He was here too long and every thing soured regardless of the Book stuff (it goes beyond that). I'm not interested in exposing a "worthless administration" and even if somehow losing to Sean Miller in the NCAA tournament would (it wouldn't), nobody would lose their job over that. I'm not sure what sports are struggling at the moment where we NEED to get rid of this administration. Baseball maybe is in for a bleaker future, but boosters are as much to blame for that than anything.

As far as the moronic comment goes, if you're an Arizona fan you want them to win every game, especially if it's a game to get to the Final Four. So either you are not an Arizona fan or you are just a moron to suggest you'd rather see Sean Miller make it to the Final Four and beat us than the other way around. So which is it?
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Fuck Off with the moron shit. I have been an Arizona fan much longer than you unless you watched the kiddie corp on CCTV at the student union because bear down was sold out If everything soured I assume you don't mean his recruits right? I mean they were just the players that he brought in so why would that matter?

Sports......lots of too early to tell but soccer looks dismal, baseball iffy, swimming taken a step back, oh and we have won one game in 2 years in football. Love what is going on in football but he did hire the previous guy and how did that work out? Tennis is better, golf is good, women's bball is at new heights but that wasn't this admins hire.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Huh
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

So…if Arizona played against any team coached by Miller in the Elite 8…you would want Arizona to lose?

If you consider yourself an Arizona basketball fan and answered “yes” to this question…you might be a moron.
Lando05

Post by Lando05 »

Yeah rooting for Miller over Arizona is one of the dumbest things I've ever read on these boards.
CatFan1399

Post by CatFan1399 »

Love Miller and wish him great success, but NEVER against Arizona! The only time that it MIGHT be acceptable to consider being ok with an Arizona loss is if the loss means nothing to Arizona AND it causes ASWho to miss out on the NCAA Tournament/a bowl game / College World Series / etc.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 5:52 pm
BBQ wildcat wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 5:45 pm
If Miller beats Lloyd in the FF I'll be so proud of them both! My vindication (as if it were about me) would be complete.
OK kids, let's be clear. In a head to head showdown none of us is going to be rooting for Lloyd to lose to Any. Fucking. Body. But to have both Lloyd AND Miller facing each other in a FF ..... any Cat fan who has a problem with that is neurologically challenged.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Macho Grande

Post by Macho Grande »

This Sean Miller mancrush nonsense has officially gone off the rails.

If we ever meet Xavier with a FF on the line, then I wish nothing but frustration and embarrassment on Sean Miller for the next three hours of his life after the opening tip. So much embarrassment that it would make getting blown out by Buffalo in the first round of the 2018 tourney seem mild in comparison.

The ghost of Lute himself could show up to coach against us and I'm still 100% rooting for Arizona. Just turn in your fan card now if you have to even think about who you'll be rooting for with a FF on the line. Or even a preseason nit game for that matter.

Last edited by Macho Grande on Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

I got into arguments for 2 years with every national checkmark on Twitter defending Miller and while I will root for him, if Arizona plays his Xavier, I will root for the Cadillac over the Buick.

By the way, Scott Van Pelt argued with me for like 20 minutes on Twitter, then had to give a Mea Culpa on TV when his sources were wrong. My point is, never have your head so far up your own ass over shit you can’t control. There’s no way Miller beating Arizona changes a good goddamn, and if change happened, it would likely be for the worse.

Enjoy it, or reap shit. I know. I’ve lived both.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Having said all of this, I would LOVE a home and home with Xavier. High drama.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Nah. Nobody needs that in their lives. Just an excuse to play all the shit we barely survived over and over.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

JMarkJohns wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 5:07 pm Nah. Nobody needs that in their lives. Just an excuse to play all the shit we barely survived over and over.
I mean, you know the selection committee is going to try to set up an AZ/Xavier collision course in the tourney. Might as well get ahead of it.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Beachcat97 wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 5:13 pm
JMarkJohns wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 5:07 pm Nah. Nobody needs that in their lives. Just an excuse to play all the shit we barely survived over and over.
I mean, you know the selection committee is going to try to set up an AZ/Xavier collision course in the tourney. Might as well get ahead of it.
Oh, 100%. For the next decade.

Which is why we don’t need a Home/Home. Don’t need it discussed any more than chance would have, and, certainly don’t need to guarantee it. At least with the tournament the matchup will need luck to actually happen. Both sides gotta win to get to the matchup, unless a mid-seed 1st round.
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

I want to see a home/home Xavier/ASsU so we get to watch Miller continue making Hurley his bitch.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

From CBS coaches poll.
Who was the best head-coaching hire in 2022?
1. Shaheen Holloway, Seton Hall 15%
2. Sean Miller, Xavier 13%
3. Kevin Willard, Maryland 12%
4. Jon Scheyer, Duke 10%
T-5 Thad Matta, Butler 9%
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

When the top vote getter only gets 15%, obviously means there is no consensus.

Especially with Scheyer only 5 points behind.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Curious to see how sustainable that Duke program is in K's absence. I think they're well established enough to keep drawing elite talent, but who knows. If Scheyer sucks, UNC is positioned to own the ACC again.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Duke is more loaded in the current class than I think I have ever seen.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Yeah. That is on trust. Let’s see use, ego management, development, scheme, and ability to manage expectations, especially late in close games.

We shall see if that is the norm or the beautiful vista before the fucking cliff.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

TheCat wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 7:40 pm Duke is more loaded in the current class than I think I have ever seen.
We won’t know what Scheyer can do until he’s got five seasons under his belt. Same is true with our guy.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Today Xavier plays Indians at home. Miller has them at 3-0 and I bet Xavier beats Indiana tonight. Will be rooting for coach
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

They almost pulled it off.

~ Wilhoit's Law
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Xavier plays hard. Lost to Indiana by 2 on a missed layup. Two things I had not seen before. 1. Played some zone and it looked pretty good. 2. Did a lot of offense/defense substitutions at the end of the game. Might be because of players he has.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I can't wait to see where the selection committee puts Xavier, provided they're in the tourney. You have to assume they want a AZ/Xavier collision course.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Sean Miller and Xavier are playing Duke today at 12:30 pm pt on ESPN if you want to channel surf. Xavier hasn't got the guys yet but play really hard.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Hopefully he can take down this overrated Duke team.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

TheCat wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:53 am Sean Miller and Xavier are playing Duke today at 12:30 pm pt on ESPN if you want to channel surf. Xavier hasn't got the guys yet but play really hard.
If we weren't all watching the Territorial Cup we'd be all over that game. Continue your dominance over Duke, Miller!
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Miller’s Xavier team playing the Zags in Portland and Jay Bilas is on the game being effusive in his praise about Miller. Will be interesting if he does any half time talks with ESPIN
Last edited by azcat49 on Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Jay Bilas is actually becoming likable. He sure didn't like the calls against Arizona in the Maui tournament.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

I actually enjoy listening to Bilas but I'm always ready to trash him given the slightest provocation.

~ Wilhoit's Law
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Jay bolas has a lot more to do than disagree with some really poor officiating in an Arizona game to become likeable.

Plus how can he crap all over miller and Arizona for 4 years, then once they part ways sidle up to both parties and be all lovey dovey.

At least Dickie v had a life changing experience to give him perspective.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

On a more positive note I love the fight Xavier is showing in the second half. I hope they can close the game out.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

The end of this game is not surprising me. Miller's success when games are on the line doesn't seem to be special.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

I think Xavier plays extremely hard and had the zags on the ropes with 4 mins to go (up by 7). But the Zags just have better players and the guy that hit the 2 deep deep threes at the end was the difference.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

What a class act
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

Great article!

If Arizona ever plays Xavier and I happen to be in attendance, Sean Miller is getting a standing ovation from me. And I hope the rest of the Wildcat fans would join me.