2023 Season Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

EastCoastCat

Re: 2023 Season Thread

Post by EastCoastCat »

I don't understand the rationale to play a conference opponent in a non-conference game. Is this a "getting to know you" strategy?

Like Chi said, you can't play them twice. Also, KSU is no pushover so we better make sure the other non-conference games on the schedule are easier for bowl eligibility purposes.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

RichardCranium wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 1:30 am I don't understand why the K-State game has to have special treatment. just play the game. if we are not officially in the schedule yet, then its a non conference game, if we are then its a conference game. What's the big deal?
This has been done tons of times in realignment. CU and Cal played non conference games when CU joined the PAC-12 because they already has scheduled games

If football scheduling goes to pods or more than one protected game then it is super easy to have these as non conference games

In Pods every team is numbered 1-4. That is how the scheduled works for teams outside your pod. You just make sure Kansas State and Arizona are numbered so they don't play conference games the those years.

Nothing hard. Nothing complex. Not unique. Not a big deal. And not interesting
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

EastCoastCat wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 7:08 am I don't understand the rationale to play a conference opponent in a non-conference game. Is this a "getting to know you" strategy?

Like Chi said, you can't play them twice. Also, KSU is no pushover so we better make sure the other non-conference games on the schedule are easier for bowl eligibility purposes.
Already scheduled and contracts already signed

I am sure both schools will look to possibly get new opponents but they have to be the right dates and make sense for all four athletic departments on many levels. Just playing them as non conference is no big deal
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I like the idea of playing this as an OOC game. We would be the first match up of the new Big 12 conference which I like. Unofficial of course but still probably the first
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

azcat49 wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 9:23 am I like the idea of playing this as an OOC game. We would be the first match up of the new Big 12 conference which I like. Unofficial of course but still probably the first
Good call. Would be really cool
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azcat49 wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 9:23 am I like the idea of playing this as an OOC game. We would be the first match up of the new Big 12 conference which I like. Unofficial of course but still probably the first
I’d like to replace it if we can. We’ll play them plenty over the next however many years until the Big12 dissolves when Apple creates the College Football Premiere League.

If we can’t, it is what it is.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Agreed the optimal scenario is swapping it out for an easy W but I can’t see how that would be possible at this late date. Finding two schools with open dates next season has to be nye impossible

I hate the thought of a super league. Those TV networks will not like filling windows with guaranteed games vs inferior opponents. Those little guys are going to have to fold up programs leaving fewer opportunities for the kids
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azcat49 wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 11:30 am I hate the thought of a super league. Those TV networks will not like filling windows with guaranteed games vs inferior opponents. Those little guys are going to have to fold up programs leaving fewer opportunities for the kids
The only thing that might be cool is relegation. Like Kansas has to play Utah State at the end of the season to stay in the Premiere League or get relegated to the Champions League (or whatever). Could add an interesting wrinkle to some mid-tier bowls.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Chicat wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 12:01 pm
azcat49 wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 11:30 am I hate the thought of a super league. Those TV networks will not like filling windows with guaranteed games vs inferior opponents. Those little guys are going to have to fold up programs leaving fewer opportunities for the kids
The only thing that might be cool is relegation. Like Kansas has to play Utah State at the end of the season to stay in the Premiere League or get relegated to the Champions League (or whatever). Could add an interesting wrinkle to some mid-tier bowls.
I've entertained the concept of relegation before, however, that would be OK with football only, but changing conferences would mean all the sports get dragged along...
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

As long as our teams are top tier like in the PL right? ;)

But I agree, I love the relegation fight at the end of a season as even poor teams are fighting to stay up. Plus teams in the "Second Division" have a chance to be promoted too. Creates excitement for other schools and their fan bases above and beyond just CFP teams that get a majority of the air time.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

pc in NM wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 12:07 pm
I've entertained the concept of relegation before, however, that would be OK with football only, but changing conferences would mean all the sports get dragged along...
In my world you keep the conferences for everything but football.
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

Chicat wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 2:57 am
RichardCranium wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 1:30 am I don't understand why the K-State game has to have special treatment. just play the game. if we are not officially in the schedule yet, then its a non conference game, if we are then its a conference game. What's the big deal?
Not sure what you mean by “officially in the schedule”
I mean, we are officially playing in the B12 and included in the B12 rotation and we have a full schedule of B12 conference games. ALL of the teams in the conference have to adjust the schedules that are already set going forward. There is nothing new or particularly difficult.

but if it’s a conference game then we need to find a non-conference game to replace it, which would be difficult at best for both teams.
Every team in the (new) conference has to rearrange the forward schedule. There is a lot of room to "trade" matchups. Yes its work, but everybody has to play someone sometime.
It’s fine if it’s a non-conference game (although weird),
why weird? its not a conference game until we are officially in the conference schedule. Every team we play in the B12 schedule has to change their schedule to 'cancel' some other game to make room for us in the schedule. Its a big round about, and a lot of work, but there is nothing weird or impossible about it.
but we need the Big12 to arrange the schedule so we don’t play each other again that season in a conference game.
Since there are now 16 teams in the B12, that should be trivial.
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
TheCatInTheHat

College Football Season Kicks Off

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

Today: Navy vs Notre Dame, Ohio U at San Diego St, UMass (coached by former Arizona DC Don Brown) at NM St, and San Jose St at USC.

And in one week: Arizona Football 2023. In honor of that, here's a montage of the last 60 years of Arizona football:

Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

One week!!! Thank God!!

Let's have us a season!!!!
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
KillerKlown

Re: College Football Season Kicks Off

Post by KillerKlown »

TheCatInTheHat wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 8:57 am Today: Navy vs Notre Dame, Ohio U at San Diego St, UMass (coached by former Arizona DC Don Brown) at NM St, and San Jose St at USC.

And in one week: Arizona Football 2023. In honor of that, here's a montage of the last 60 years of Arizona football:

Jacksonville state (Rich Rod) vs UTEP
Mike Luke's burner account.
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Have to wonder how crisp our tackling will be, especially against Miss St
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

azcat49 wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 3:29 pm Have to wonder how crisp our tackling will be, especially against Miss St
That's the age-old dilemma: how much hitting do you do before the first game? I know one Arizona fan who thought only Tony Mason ever had it right: "hit...hit again...hit some more...now do it again." Always and forever. (I've become a bit of a convert to wrap-up/sure tackling after watching lots of triumphant big hits turn into a backpedal, reverse, and long gain.) But, open-field swashbuckling aside, the linemen, backers, and safeties have to be used to knocking heads. Seems like Fisch sort of takes after Sean McVay and others in the NFL who don't play anybody in preseason games to keep them healthy. But, he's the boss, so if they're not ready, it's all on him.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

I’m not a big believer on whether pre-season tackling makes a difference or not.

If you are big, strong and fast you will stop people. A lot of our “poor tackling” unfortunately has been a result of lesser physical talent.
TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

Well, one thing's for sure. For the first time in...forever?...we're generally not undersized and have some line depth.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Is there a survivor pool this year?
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

U.P. Zona Fan wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 5:25 pm Is there a survivor pool this year?
azgreg never settled the tiebreaker last year. I was at least co-champion.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

Here is the deal for streaming services to watch UA football and basketball this season. For the Pac-12 Networks you have to go CATV (COX), Sling, Fubo, or Vidgo. I

Vidgo - You can get Plus for $70. That will give you the Pac-12 Networks. But you have to get premium for DVR. No more needs to be said. They are not worth it and only 2 options for streaming services.

Sling TV. - Definitely the best if you are able to use an antenna. Antenna channels are built into the guide. I am finding I just switch my email address and get the half-price discount. Regular price is $51/month wen switching back and forth between blue and orange. They might charge you if they contain your local channels (Fox). They include TNT, TBS, and NFL redzone when adding the sports add-on package. I take your guys word that you can switch back and forth between orange and blue, but I've never tried it. Sling has 5 month packages for a discount. Maybe you can switch back and forth from blue to orange on the price break discount.

Fubo - It will be $100 for what you want, give or take according to your regional RSN. I have to pay an extra $14 because of NESN, NESN+, and Marquee. Maybe I will watch the Boston Bruins when nothing else is on (or Red Sox, Celtics). I really don't care about any of the teams. If you like to follow local pro teams Fubo is a good choice. Fubo also has all the local channels. That's pretty cool. Although next season I won't use Fubo again because local channels are on YouTube TV and Hulu+ Live. No more Pac-12 Network for Arizona (thank goodness). Fubo has all the Pac-12 Networks. I will get the Redzone sports package. They don't have TNT or TBS. That won't work when it comes NCAA tourney time. Still... they have a lot of content in many sports, especially soccer.

If I could receive local channels on an antenna, Sling TV is the obvious answer. I find it good, even without local channels. I need to record because I won't be able to see weekday games live.

Fubo allows 1000 hours of no time limit cloud DVR space. I can see every UA football/basketball game until the NCAA tourney. $100/month, but for UA fans it is good. The bonus for me is NFL Redzone. It's great to play in the background on Sundays. I don't have a favorite NFL team, (I only follow players). If you live in the middle of nowhere and can't get an RSN it could be $86/month. What sucks is they shortened their free trial last week to 24 hours from 7 days. Yes, it has everything to do with the football season starting.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

UAEebs86 wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:23 pm
U.P. Zona Fan wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 5:25 pm Is there a survivor pool this year?
Sorry about that guys. Interest just seemed to drop off and frankly it's a bigger pain in the ass than I'm willing to take on right now.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

In looking at this year's team, we should be better at almost every phase. Our offense should be very improved from last year's-which was already good. I'm thinking that if the defense has substantial improvement (a big if) we're going to surprise and contend for top three in the conference.

6-6 with a chance to do much better. We'll certainly know much more after the Miss St game.

It's been awhile since we've been this good. Recently I watched some of the old Stoops games. Damn those were undisciplined teams.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

The offense should be at least as good as last year. All skill players minus Singer are back, and we add the Colorado transfer Lemonious-Craig. If T-Mac can take the the usually improvement leap from frosh to sophomore, I don't see a drop off at all. The O was good enough to win 5 games last year with a very poor D. In fact, I think the D was ranked 125th in D1 last year, but don't quote me. If the D can take a leap and be ranked in the 70s, we're looking at a RichRod type 8-5 season in my opinion. I think this is attainable.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

If we improve on both sides of the ball in the red zone we can get to 6 or 7 wins.

If the defense improves only a bowl game

But if the OLine shows it can run the ball consistently we can be really special. The passing attack will almost unstoppable as the defense will have to bring guys down in the box. Can you imagine TMac and vowing in single coverage? Oh my. This happens and we win 8 games
TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

I'd guess we'll continue to sorta pass to set up the run and get balance that way and just hope that with a true freshman and some juggling in the mix, we'll be reasonably solid in the O-line. If we do better than that, it could be pretty exciting. Meanwhile, de Laura not learning to take snaps under center, really understanding the offense, and having a connection with his receivers is very different from the early part of last season. TMac can be a matchup nightmare, and so can Tanner McLachlan. On defense, I don't have a clue. Akina can make a difference, and continuity in running the same system is a plus. A lot of personnel turnover, so hopefully we've made gains in all those areas. I'm usually fairly conservative about assuming all indicators will go green at the same time, but we'll see. I've been pretty patient all summer, but now it's getting to me. Four more days.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

azgreg wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 5:21 am
UAEebs86 wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:23 pm
Sorry about that guys. Interest just seemed to drop off and frankly it's a bigger pain in the ass than I'm willing to take on right now.
Thanks for doing it the last bunch of years.

Fun times!!
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
TheCatInTheHat

This Is Handy, Though Debateable

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

TheCatInTheHat wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 4:03 pm I'd guess we'll continue to sorta pass to set up the run and get balance that way and just hope that with a true freshman and some juggling in the mix, we'll be reasonably solid in the O-line. If we do better than that, it could be pretty exciting. Meanwhile, de Laura not learning to take snaps under center, really understanding the offense, and having a connection with his receivers is very different from the early part of last season. TMac can be a matchup nightmare, and so can Tanner McLachlan. On defense, I don't have a clue. Akina can make a difference, and continuity in running the same system is a plus. A lot of personnel turnover, so hopefully we've made gains in all those areas. I'm usually fairly conservative about assuming all indicators will go green at the same time, but we'll see. I've been pretty patient all summer, but now it's getting to me. Four more days.
Pulido is going to be a big key to how it goes. True freshman starter. Hes very good
Hope he's ready for D 1 defensive linemen.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

Heeke with some pre-season comments about looking for a title sponsor for Arizona Stadium and an "athletic district", which I'd say is bullshit bingo for getting some stadium renovation work paid for in exchange for a multi-use development. So, maybe say goodbye to Hopi Hall and Bear Down Field and say hello to something like the Marshall Foundation Bldg on Park with a sports bar and other stuff on the ground floor, and classrooms and/or offices on the floors above.

https://tucson.com/sports/college/footb ... 38739.html
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Have to wonder if Fisch was the one that gave us a vote?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

PFF scores for the UTEP game via AZDESERTSWARM

The Arizona Wildcats played 67 offensive snaps and 62 defensive snaps in their 31-10 win over UTEP. Here is how much each player played along with their Pro Football Focus grades.

Offense
RT Jonah Savaiinaea, 64 (68.8)
LG Wendell Moe, 64 (55.7)
C Josh Baker, 64 (68.5)
WR Jacob Cowing, 62 (70.8)
WR Tetairoa McMillan, 61 (65.5)
QB Jayden de Laura, 61 (80.7)
LT Jordan Morgan, 61 (71.9)
TE Tanner McLachlan, 57 (69.9)
WR Montana Lemonious-Craig, 50 (62.1)
RB Michael Wiley, 42 (72.9)
LT Joseph Borjon, 40 (62.2)
LG Leif Magnuson, 33 (56.9)
RB Jonah Coleman, 15 (81.3)
TE Roberto Miranda, 11 (78.7)
TE Keyan Burnett, 8 (61.2)
WR Kevin Green Jr., 7 (58.3)
QB Noah Fifita, 6 (60.8)
WR Carlson Wilson, 6 (56.9)
RB D.J. Williams, 6 (55.3)
RB Rayshon Luke, 4 (76.5)
WR Malachi Riley, 4 (58.2)
RG JT Hand, 3 (64.3)
C Grayson Stovall, 3 (60.0)
RG Sam Langi, 3 (59.6)
WR AJ Jones, 2 (58.6)
Defense
CB Ephesians Prysock, 51 (57.0)
S Gunner Maldonado, 50 (67.3)
LB Jacob Manu, 48 (70.8)
CB Tacario Davis, 44 (69.8)
CB Treydan Stukes, 41 (70.3)
DL Taylor Upshaw, 40 (63.2)
LB Justin Flowe, 37 (50.7)
S Dalton Johnson, 36 (71.5)
DT Tiaolii Savea, 31 (47.4)
DE Isaiah Ward, 29 (48.2)
CB Martell Irby, 26 (65.2)
DT Tyler Manoa, 25 (58.2)
DT Ta’ita’i Uiagalelei, 23 (57.3)
DL Russell Davis II, 23 (61.5)
DT Bill Norton, 22 (70.5)
S Isaiah Taylor, 20 (64.7)
DT Sio Nofoagatoto’a, 19 (46.4)
CB Dylan Wyatt, 19 (46.1)
S Genesis Smith, 18 (55.5)
LB Daniel Heimuli, 17 (54.8)
DT Jacob Kongaika, 15 (47.7)
LB Taye Brown, 14 (41.5)
CB DJ Warnell Jr., 12 (50.7)
DE Orin Patu, 9 (63.6)
LB Jeremy Mercier, 8 (52.9)
CB Charles Yates Jr., 5 (56.5)
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

What is considered a good score?
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

tgrumpy2 wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 11:15 am What is considered a good score?
PFF GRADES — FROM PRO FOOTBALL FOCUS
PFF grades NFL
PFF grades are an authoritative method of comparing and ranking players and teams. They’re produced by Pro Football Focus, one of the country’s most reputable football analysis firms. DFS Hub is proud to be one of the only providers of PFF grades in an NFL lineup research tool.

Unlike traditional fantasy football stats that don’t take context into account, PFF grades are a qualitative ranking. They measure performance in ways that stats like yards after catch or QB rating cannot.

How PFF grades work
Professional PFF analysts grade players and teams on their production, using a scale of +2 to -2, in half-point increments. Every player’s and team’s performance, on every play, of every game, is tracked throughout the entire NFL season.

PFF then compiles these individual grades into a single 0 to 100 scale for easy comparison. The grades you see in DFS Hub fields are cumulative season-to-date grades.

The PFF rating system works like this:

100-90 Elite
89-85 Pro Bowler
84-70 Starter
69-60 Backup
59-0 Replaceable
“Season-level grades aren’t simply an average of every game-grade a player compiles over a season,” PFF explains. Instead, “the season grade credits the entire body of work” that season. The grade you see is based on a PFF algorithm that computes all sorts of factors, including the player’s percentage of team snaps, their consistency and so on.

For example, if a player earns an 80.0 game grade, that is not even close to one of the best games of all time.

But, if a player earns a grade of 80.0 over 17 games, that is an outstanding season of consistency—and likely one of the better seasons in history.

A simpler example is a three-touchdown game from a quarterback. There have been countless three-touchdown performances in a single game. But if that same QB tallied three TDs in all 17 games that would be one of the best seasons of all-time.

Based on PFF’s algorithm, it is entirely possible that a player will have a season grade higher than any individual single-game grade he achieved. That’s because playing well for an extended period of time is harder to do than for a short period. Good, solid consistency is rewarded.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

dmjcat wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 1:32 pm
tgrumpy2 wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 11:15 am What is considered a good score?
PFF GRADES — FROM PRO FOOTBALL FOCUS
PFF grades NFL
PFF grades are an authoritative method of comparing and ranking players and teams. They’re produced by Pro Football Focus, one of the country’s most reputable football analysis firms. DFS Hub is proud to be one of the only providers of PFF grades in an NFL lineup research tool.

Unlike traditional fantasy football stats that don’t take context into account, PFF grades are a qualitative ranking. They measure performance in ways that stats like yards after catch or QB rating cannot.

How PFF grades work
Professional PFF analysts grade players and teams on their production, using a scale of +2 to -2, in half-point increments. Every player’s and team’s performance, on every play, of every game, is tracked throughout the entire NFL season.

PFF then compiles these individual grades into a single 0 to 100 scale for easy comparison. The grades you see in DFS Hub fields are cumulative season-to-date grades.

The PFF rating system works like this:

100-90 Elite
89-85 Pro Bowler
84-70 Starter
69-60 Backup
59-0 Replaceable
“Season-level grades aren’t simply an average of every game-grade a player compiles over a season,” PFF explains. Instead, “the season grade credits the entire body of work” that season. The grade you see is based on a PFF algorithm that computes all sorts of factors, including the player’s percentage of team snaps, their consistency and so on.

For example, if a player earns an 80.0 game grade, that is not even close to one of the best games of all time.

But, if a player earns a grade of 80.0 over 17 games, that is an outstanding season of consistency—and likely one of the better seasons in history.

A simpler example is a three-touchdown game from a quarterback. There have been countless three-touchdown performances in a single game. But if that same QB tallied three TDs in all 17 games that would be one of the best seasons of all-time.

Based on PFF’s algorithm, it is entirely possible that a player will have a season grade higher than any individual single-game grade he achieved. That’s because playing well for an extended period of time is harder to do than for a short period. Good, solid consistency is rewarded.
Thanks for posting this dmj, but I'm confused. The post said PFF for this game but your post says its cumulative for the season. So what are we seeing posted here? One game or for the season?

Thanks.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

azgreg wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 11:40 am
They are "ranked"!!!

#80 in The Athletic 133.

https://theathletic.com/4871724/2023/09 ... s-alabama/

With the schedule after Stanford, there will be ample opportunity to rise well above, or confirm the Athletic's skepticism
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Cal is 34 spots ahead of us in that ranking.

That’s not to be taken seriously.
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

Shit. They even have Okie st almost 10 spots ahead of us. Also Iowa St, Toledo, TX St, Miami (Oh). We're two spots ahead of awful Nebraska! and 10 ahead of shithead Sparky. We even got penalized 3 spots after beating Utep. No damn way San Diego St is 15 spots better than Arizona.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Needless to say this week's road game Vs a mid-to-poor Stanford team is a must win?

Stanford looked slow and predictable in beating Hawaii, were mercilessly steamrolled by USC, and last weekend upset by Sacramento State.

Because after Stanford the Wildcats next SEVEN opponents are currently RANKED: #8 Washington, @ #5 USC, @ #21 Washington State, #14 Oregon State, #22 UCLA, @ #19 Colorado, and #11 Utah.

Good grief - can we get a break!?!?
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson