Millennials

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

84Cat

Re: Millennials

Post by 84Cat »

I have a niece in medical school right now and she did the whole rotc thing and will be doing her residency in a medical hospital. I've never asked but I'm sure she's getting tuition assistance from the military
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

We hired a bunch of Gen-X programmers for my unit when I worked for a state university. Not one stayed. They all left for much more lucrative positions salary wise. Only ones left are the older programmers who do value the value of a traditional retirement, along with getting medical for life.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

A link to the study would help. Self-directed contribution plans don't prosper without contributions ..... or without direction. So, there's that.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

I'm a boomer and we only have IRA's and 401k's for retirement. It's working great for us but I was also a finance major who is very disciplined with our money.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

84Cat wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 5:12 pm I'm a boomer and we only have IRA's and 401k's for retirement. It's working great for us but I was also a finance major who is very disciplined with our money.
It's one thing to be born at the right time; it's another thing altogether to optimize it.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

84Cat wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 5:12 pm I'm a boomer and we only have IRA's and 401k's for retirement. It's working great for us but I was also a finance major who is very disciplined with our money.
I don't know about you but the only thing I didn't unabashedly take advantage of was conversion from SEP-IRA to Roth, and I regret not having set up a specious post-retirement side-gig to run that gameplan. Every time I plug future figures into this site (http://www.fourpercentrule.com/) I literally cringe at what taxes I will be on the hook for. But in the end I figure I owe it to the generation of kids I didn't have. After all, other people exist.

~ Wilhoit's Law