Transfer Palooza Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Winger

Re: Transfer Palooza Thread

Post by Winger »

Merkin wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 1:32 pm The longer it takes, the less I believe the $1M NIL offer is real.

I would bet even money that he ends up overseas since the league has no interest in him.
The rumor was definitely real. Tho that is a different thing from the $$$ being real. From day 1 I have wondered if Lloyd would let Love come back. The money is one thing, but you have to have the ok of the head coach as well. If you believe the messaging on why Ballo was cut loose (“more seasons than 1”), unless you think a reclassed Sanon is a 1&D, the same holds here.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Winger wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 6:31 am
Merkin wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 1:32 pm The longer it takes, the less I believe the $1M NIL offer is real.

I would bet even money that he ends up overseas since the league has no interest in him.
The rumor was definitely real. Tho that is a different thing from the $$$ being real. From day 1 I have wondered if Lloyd would let Love come back. The money is one thing, but you have to have the ok of the head coach as well. If you believe the messaging on why Ballo was cut loose (“more seasons than 1”), unless you think a reclassed Sanon is a 1&D, the same holds here.
Going into the end of the season Lloyd was definitely under the impression that Caleb Love was done with college basketball no matter what, hence the timing of Sanon's commitment on March 20th. Since the season ended though that stance changed. Love was still going to go through the process no matter what, but the door was definitely more than open for him return, especially with the $$$ offer supposedly on the table for him. Sanon is a 1&D though if he is starting, hence the rumors of him backing off his commitment if Love were to return. I guess it's not impossible that his camp decides he can play one year as a weapon off the bench and go from there, but there's definitely another school or 30 out there that could offer him starter minutes and a whole lot of shots immediately. We'll see soon enough. That Love decision is a week or so away.
Winger

Post by Winger »

ChooChooCat wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 7:21 am

Going into the end of the season Lloyd was definitely under the impression that Caleb Love was done with college basketball no matter what, hence the timing of Sanon's commitment on March 20th. Since the season ended though that stance changed. Love was still going to go through the process no matter what, but the door was definitely more than open for him return, especially with the $$$ offer supposedly on the table for him. Sanon is a 1&D though if he is starting, hence the rumors of him backing off his commitment if Love were to return. I guess it's not impossible that his camp decides he can play one year as a weapon off the bench and go from there, but there's definitely another school or 30 out there that could offer him starter minutes and a whole lot of shots immediately. We'll see soon enough. That Love decision is a week or so away.
As much as I am ready to move on from Love, if you give me the choice of 1 season of Love vs 1 season of Sanon, I am choosing the former. When the person I trust most in the world tells me that Sanon is a “poor man’s Caleb Love” I listen. Plus, Love was my favorite dude in an Arizona uniform this past season. When he is good Caleb Love he is really fun for me to watch.

When I posted the Love-$$$ rumor here I believe I included that it was one or the other. Love or Sanon. If Love, no Sanon. Maybe, against all odds, Love believes that there is a chance that once the scouts see him live, his play will change their minds. And maybe Lloyd will take him back if not. Typically when you hear off season messaging regarding a player who might be coming back after everyone thought he was gone it is homer-feel good-BS.

But that was prior to NIL so I dunno on this one.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Yeah rumor was 100% out there. I asked Scheer and Wing if they heard about it. Then saw Wing post it here.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Winger wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 7:50 am

As much as I am ready to move on from Love, if you give me the choice of 1 season of Love vs 1 season of Sanon, I am choosing the former. When the person I trust most in the world tells me that Sanon is a “poor man’s Caleb Love” I listen. Plus, Love was my favorite dude in an Arizona uniform this past season. When he is good Caleb Love he is really fun for me to watch.

When I posted the Love-$$$ rumor here I believe I included that it was one or the other. Love or Sanon. If Love, no Sanon. Maybe, against all odds, Love believes that there is a chance that once the scouts see him live, his play will change their minds. And maybe Lloyd will take him back if not. Typically when you hear off season messaging regarding a player who might be coming back after everyone thought he was gone it is homer-feel good-BS.

I would rather have another season of Love than one of Sanon. We're talking about a guy who'd be in his 5th year of college basketball, who has already played in Lloyd's system for a year. I know Love's game needs work and that he takes a number of ill-advised shots, but he's an excellent teammate and competitor. He'd be a strong, positive presence on next year's team, especially with so many new guys.

This is no knock on Sanon, who I'm sure is a fine player. But the reality is that freshmen rarely impact a team as much as older guys, especially older guys who can do what Love can.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

$2M!!!
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

Beachcat97 wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 6:50 pm
Winger wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 7:50 am

I would rather have another season of Love than one of Sanon. We're talking about a guy who'd be in his 5th year of college basketball, who has already played in Lloyd's system for a year. I know Love's game needs work and that he takes a number of ill-advised shots, but he's an excellent teammate and competitor. He'd be a strong, positive presence on next year's team, especially with so many new guys.

This is no knock on Sanon, who I'm sure is a fine player. But the reality is that freshmen rarely impact a team as much as older guys, especially older guys who can do what Love can.
Agree 💯….unless Sanon was a generational Carmelo Anthony type of College Freshman, then absolutely choose Love if forced to. BTFD.
Abrahamarvel

Post by Abrahamarvel »

Love is what he is. Not going to be much different than what he was in our system in year 1.

So come to March, if we are still relying on Love for go-to plays, it will be the same next year, complete russian roulette in playoffs. When Love is off and having 5-18 games, we shoot ourself in the head and exit.

With Sanon, a talented shotmaker that might improve vastly during the year. We might have our Stephen Castle in March. Our team is pretty stacked right now, we will probably be dancing without Love, and with/without matured Sanon.

Hence if we want to go far in March, I probably would take Sanon and gamble a bit.
Abrahamarvel

Post by Abrahamarvel »

I get folks prefer upper classman, but Love in last march had a consistency of a Freshman/Sopho.

Even for regular season, with increased competition in Big 12, not sure how much a benefit Love is to the team.

With that being said. Appreciated what Love did for us last year, would welcome him if he chooses to be back
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Abrahamarvel wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 2:41 am Love is what he is. Not going to be much different than what he was in our system in year 1.

So come to March, if we are still relying on Love for go-to plays, it will be the same next year, complete russian roulette in playoffs. When Love is off and having 5-18 games, we shoot ourself in the head and exit.

With Sanon, a talented shotmaker that might improve vastly during the year. We might have our Stephen Castle in March. Our team is pretty stacked right now, we will probably be dancing without Love, and with/without matured Sanon.

Hence if we want to go far in March, I probably would take Sanon and gamble a bit.
I understand your reasoning. Still, the reason I lean towards Love is because we’re going to be very young next season. No Ballo, no Larsson, no Keshad. We do return some key guys like Lewis and Bradley, and we also bring in some nice transfers, all of whom are experienced. But none of these guys has the swag and leadership potential that Love does.

I’m foolishly hoping we end up with both Love and Sanon. 😂
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Not a fan of Love as noted above, but he did account for 22.3% off all UA scoring. That is really going to be hard to replace with the crew we have right now.

If he does come back, nothing will change. Lloyd will give him the green light to chuck at will, and he can't control himself. And just break our hearts again next March. Love is a 50% 2PT shooter, and 60% at the rim. That should tell you where he should be shooting from.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Merkin wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 9:05 am Not a fan of Love as noted above, but he did account for 22.3% off all UA scoring. That is really going to be hard to replace with the crew we have right now.

If he does come back, nothing will change. Lloyd will give him the green light to chuck at will, and he can't control himself. And just break our hearts again next March. Love is a 50% 2PT shooter, and 60% at the rim. That should tell you where he should be shooting from.
His percentage on spot up 3s was excellent fwiw. It's when he shot off the dribble that he was utter dogshit from 3.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

ChooChooCat wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 9:51 am
Merkin wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 9:05 am Not a fan of Love as noted above, but he did account for 22.3% off all UA scoring. That is really going to be hard to replace with the crew we have right now.

His percentage on spot up 3s was excellent fwiw. It's when he shot off the dribble that he was utter dogshit from 3.
And, IMNSHO, those shots off the dribble mostly were a result of an already stalled offense and lack of ball/player movement. That occurred far too often last season.
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Just reading the article dmjcat posted, it says his catch and shoot 3pt% was 40%. His overall 3pt rate was 33.2% so his off the dribble rate must have been around the mid 20s. Don't know where those stats are posted.

Bring back the Lute rule, minimum 2 passes before a 3 point shot attempt!

pc in NM wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 12:23 pm And, IMNSHO, those shots off the dribble mostly were a result of an already stalled offense and lack of ball/player movement. That occurred far too often last season.
Seemed Boswell lost interest end of last season, or at least his demeanor looked like it. If your only true PG (outside of Martinez) isn't giving 100%, then do what every team did. Pack the paint and force the Cats to beat you from the outside.

Not sure what Lloyd is going to do next season, with Atawa and Townsend not having any outside game. Can't have two soft Euros out there at the same time.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Merkin wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 1:24 pm
Not sure what Lloyd is going to do next season, with Atawa and Townsend not having any outside game. Can't have two soft Euros out there at the same time.
Townsend has more outside game than he's shown at Oakland, primarily due to necessity. The staff expects him to shoot from deep and shoot it fairly well next year. Probably similar to the production Keshad gave us from there.
Winger

Post by Winger »

ChooChooCat wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 5:16 am
Merkin wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 1:24 pm
Townsend has more outside game than he's shown at Oakland, primarily due to necessity. The staff expects him to shoot from deep and shoot it fairly well next year. Probably similar to the production Keshad gave us from there.
Part of his coming here is to play the 3 and shoot 3s.