New Coach Hot Board

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

RondaeShimmy

Re: New Coach Hot Board

Post by RondaeShimmy »

azgreg wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:14 pm Who's got the flight tracker fired up?
You mean the Zoom password
Merkin wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:22 pm WTF....

Tedy was actually approached for this job?
I think "even if it's offered" says he wasn't offered but someone asked him.
Last edited by RondaeShimmy on Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

azgreg wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:14 pm Who's got the flight tracker fired up?
And Scheer in the bushes with a telephoto lens.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

No, Tedy was not approached about the job.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

Arizona has the easiest lay up in coaching hire history as this is a year where there aren't many vacancies at the Power 5 level and has a couple of highly qualified candidates with Arizona ties who really want the job.

But in typical Arizona fashion other folks are bringing their names in, trying to give input, and it has the potential to screw the whole thing up.
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

Merkin wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:22 pm WTF....

Tedy was actually approached for this job?
This most likely is Hansen trying to be in the know again. Just stirring things up with only himself in mind.
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

He just wrote a column a day or two ago suggesting Bruschi, and he either contacted him for comment, or somebody else did because of the column. Much ado about nothing.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:15 am
ChooChooCat wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:10 am Isn’t it even more impressive that Brennan hasn’t exactly killed it on the recruiting trail and yet has his team undefeated and playing for the MW championship?
I like both Niumatalolo and Brennan, and a big reason is they both have won with less talent and program advantages. Both Navy and SJSU are tough places to win at or attract talent to.

Niumatalolo's proven it a bit longer than Brennan, but Brennan's contract here would probably be more favorable.

I never feel like you should get overly optimistic about Arizona football, but I like Brennan/Niumatalolo infinitely more than I did the Sumlin hire, which I hated fron Day 1.
I agree they have won with less but they are also playing teams with less and they would be steam rolled by any PAC team after seeing them for a year. The triple O would work well here and surprise folks the first year but after that I think the athletes in the PAC are way more versatile for that to last long. I can't really get behind SJSU coach either. Less than a .500 winning record in a watered down conference? Really that is our savior? I know he is 6-0 in a covid year which depends more on who is available for the other team or who might have opted out. I look at our current team and I think our QB would be gone with Coach N simply because he would be wary. That might not be a big deal to some. Don't know if I am really behind either. We have fallen SO SO far. Hell we were on the cover of Sports Illustrated as rock solid. In one game this year we gave up more rushing yards then that team gave up in a season. I'm discouraged frankly.....
prh

Post by prh »

Starting interviews now doesn't necessarily rule out Brennan, every year we see G5 coaches who announce a new gig the day after their conference championship games
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

I'm sure Coach Ken from Navy is a man of impeccable character and has a phenomenal work ethic. I believe he is a committed coach. It the UofA actually hires him I hope he doesn't try to run triple option. With current personnel we are geared up to be a drop back passing team. What is he going to do, teach Gunnel triple option? That will have the same results as Mazzone trying to make Tate a drop back passer. I'm also not convinced about his recruiting at a non military institution. Let's face it, recruiting at military academies is a bit different. I read how a lot of people on this site just don't think anyone will ever be able to be a top recruiter at Arizona and I don't agree with that. You need people that are committed to recruiting and RR's defensive coaches as we now know, weren't. Stoops recruited very well but he and his assistants were committed to the process. With that said, initially we don't even need the four stars. Let's concentrate on the three stars with a big upside and have assistant coaches that can coach them up and motivate them. Thank you for applying Coach Ken but I think you should stay at Navy.
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

tgrumpy2 wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:22 pm I'm sure Coach Ken from Navy is a man of impeccable character and has a phenomenal work ethic. I believe he is a committed coach. It the UofA actually hires him I hope he doesn't try to run triple option. With current personnel we are geared up to be a drop back passing team. What is he going to do, teach Gunnel triple option? That will have the same results as Mazzone trying to make Tate a drop back passer. I'm also not convinced about his recruiting at a non military institution. Let's face it, recruiting at military academies is a bit different. I read how a lot of people on this site just don't think anyone will ever be able to be a top recruiter at Arizona and I don't agree with that. You need people that are committed to recruiting and RR's defensive coaches as we now know, weren't. Stoops recruited very well but he and his assistants were committed to the process. With that said, initially we don't even need the four stars. Let's concentrate on the three stars with a big upside and have assistant coaches that can coach them up and motivate them. Thank you for applying Coach Ken but I think you should stay at Navy.
HES NOT RUNNING THE TRIPLE OPTION AT ARIZONA OR ANY OTHER POWER 5 JOB HE GETS. THIS HAS BEEN REPEATED NUMEROUS TIMES AND HE HAS EVEN STATED HIMSELF IN INTERVIEWS.
prh

Post by prh »

Here is something that can be huge: NCAA announced a blanket transfer waiver for all sports today.

Couple pages ago I mentioned how transfer portal was going to be crazy this offseason because of the free year of eligibility. Add in waivers, and a new coach could come in and make a huge splash in turning things around.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

UofAlum05 wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:26 pm
tgrumpy2 wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:22 pm I'm sure Coach Ken from Navy is a man of impeccable character and has a phenomenal work ethic. I believe he is a committed coach. It the UofA actually hires him I hope he doesn't try to run triple option. With current personnel we are geared up to be a drop back passing team. What is he going to do, teach Gunnel triple option? That will have the same results as Mazzone trying to make Tate a drop back passer. I'm also not convinced about his recruiting at a non military institution. Let's face it, recruiting at military academies is a bit different. I read how a lot of people on this site just don't think anyone will ever be able to be a top recruiter at Arizona and I don't agree with that. You need people that are committed to recruiting and RR's defensive coaches as we now know, weren't. Stoops recruited very well but he and his assistants were committed to the process. With that said, initially we don't even need the four stars. Let's concentrate on the three stars with a big upside and have assistant coaches that can coach them up and motivate them. Thank you for applying Coach Ken but I think you should stay at Navy.
HES NOT RUNNING THE TRIPLE OPTION AT ARIZONA OR ANY OTHER POWER 5 JOB HE GETS. THIS HAS BEEN REPEATED NUMEROUS TIMES AND HE HAS EVEN STATED HIMSELF IN INTERVIEWS.
Sure sure........but do you think he'll run the triple option here at Arizona?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

I wouldn’t worry about Fisch, unless Robbins truly has a suicidal death wish.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

The other thing, and I don't mean this disrespectfully to Gunnell...picking a coach based on your current QB is the dumbest move a college program can make. You're trying to build a program, and it's not the NFL with a guy like Peyton Manning.

Especially in a year where the NCAA granted a transfer waiver so Gunnell could leave us high and dry after we picked a coach for him.
Lando05

Post by Lando05 »

I'm in for Coach N. Get it done.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

What about Kendal Briles? Young....exciting offensive coordinator. Carries some baggage from Baylor where is dad Art was HC. Made big strides at other schools like Houston.....
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

TheCat wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:13 pm What about Kendal Briles? Young....exciting offensive coordinator. Carries some baggage from Baylor where is dad Art was HC. Made big strides at other schools like Houston.....
My personal hiring criteria for involvement in rape culture allegations is zero, but...

Give me Niumatalolo or Brennan.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Interesting qualifications, regarding playing experience, along with PAC-12 rules.

https://arizona.csod.com/ux/ats/careers ... ?c=arizona

Required:
Bachelor’s degree
Competitive playing and/or coaching experience at the collegiate or professional level
Experience and knowledge of NCAA rules
Commitment to academic and athletic success
Possess a working knowledge of Pac-12 rules

Preferred:
Competitive playing and/or coaching experience at the collegiate or professional level
Coaching experience at the collegiate level
Coaching experience at the NCAA Division I level
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Merkin wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:42 pm Interesting qualifications, regarding playing experience, along with PAC-12 rules.

https://arizona.csod.com/ux/ats/careers ... ?c=arizona

Required:
Bachelor’s degree
Experience and knowledge of NCAA rules
Commitment to academic and athletic success
Possess a working knowledge of Pac-12 rules

Preferred:
Coaching experience at the collegiate level
Coaching experience at the NCAA Division I level
I think I'm qualified! Not preferred, but hey, I'm somewhat confident I could improve on Kevin Sumlin.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

CopaCat

Post by CopaCat »

UofAlum05 wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:10 am
CopaCat wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:07 am To me this possible Niumatalolo hire screams Dave Heeke trying to stick it to everyone for forcing him into Sumlin, contrary to what the reports are saying about Booster support.

I love Ken N as a coach. He is exactly the kind of coach we need. Unfortunately I am not as enthusiastic about him as a recruiter or his offense. I really hope if we go with Niumatalolo that Salavea or Pierce(doubtful but still my dream) come along as a D Coordinator/Recruiter. Same stipulations with a Brennan hire. We need a recruiter, period. It sucks that 2 of the better recruiters on the West Coast are former Wildcats and yet we can't recruit.
I will try to not give away premium content from Scheers site but basically Ken N had an A+ OC in the bag to come with him 3 years ago. That name is now an OC at a Major Power 5 program and a HC candidate but that makes me think that Ken N would be able to entice another name at OC to come with him this time. He is highly, highly, respected in the College Football ranks and would be able to put together an A+ staff.

The thought of Arizona football being a respected, well coached, instead of a complete joke gives me goosebumps.
I am completely on board with Ken N as a coach. Maybe I am being a bit greedy wanting a great recruiting staff? I personally think Arizona is a better job than people give it credit for. We have been snakebit by some bad coaches or bad recruiters since Tomey got canned.
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

azgreg wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:11 pm
Hope so. If he accepts, let’s announce tomorrow.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

CopaCat wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:11 pm
CopaCat wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:07 am To me this possible Niumatalolo hire screams Dave Heeke trying to stick it to everyone for forcing him into Sumlin, contrary to what the reports are saying about Booster support.

I love Ken N as a coach. He is exactly the kind of coach we need. Unfortunately I am not as enthusiastic about him as a recruiter or his offense. I really hope if we go with Niumatalolo that Salavea or Pierce(doubtful but still my dream) come along as a D Coordinator/Recruiter. Same stipulations with a Brennan hire. We need a recruiter, period. It sucks that 2 of the better recruiters on the West Coast are former Wildcats and yet we can't recruit.
I will try to not give away premium content from Scheers site but basically Ken N had an A+ OC in the bag to come with him 3 years ago. That name is now an OC at a Major Power 5 program and a HC candidate but that makes me think that Ken N would be able to entice another name at OC to come with him this time. He is highly, highly, respected in the College Football ranks and would be able to put together an A+ staff.

The thought of Arizona football being a respected, well coached, instead of a complete joke gives me goosebumps.
I am completely on board with Ken N as a coach. Maybe I am being a bit greedy wanting a great recruiting staff? I personally think Arizona is a better job than people give it credit for. We have been snakebit by some bad coaches or bad recruiters since Tomey got canned.
Niumatalolo is a proven winner with solid character. A good staff is gonna be a boon to anyone, though. A HC can only do so much.

Brennan has upside and I feel like we should at least interview him if he's willing. Either Brennan or Niumatalolo is an upgrade over Sumlin, just a question of how much.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

MountainCat wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:52 pm
They should interview more than one guy in my opinion.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

Chicat wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:55 pm
MountainCat wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:52 pm
They should interview more than one guy in my opinion.
Think if he was still interested after being snubbed last time, the job may have been his to accept. After all, he made it to the top after being interviewed last time by the same people.
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:06 pm
The other thing, and I don't mean this disrespectfully to Gunnell...picking a coach based on your current QB is the dumbest move a college program can make. You're trying to build a program, and it's not the NFL with a guy like Peyton Manning.

Especially in a year where the NCAA granted a transfer waiver so Gunnell could leave us high and dry after we picked a coach for him.

All those things are right Spaceman but that's just my opinion. Its more than just Gunnel. Our entire offense is now geared for a drop back passing attack. Its not like the QB and running backs and receivers are without talent. Why create all the drama when a good coach can build something decent with a lot of the parts we already have. Again if Coach Ken came and brought in an energetic OC that likes a drop back passer then yea bring it.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Tgrumpy, I'm not quoting just not to blow up the size.

No disrespect, I just see it like this. Yeah, we're built for drop back, but we're also a winless team with a devastated roster. I'm not sure it matters next year what system is run, it's going to be a rough one.

Moreover, I think my bottom line is I want us to hire the right guy for the next 10-12 years. If we can get that, I'll live with some rough patches off the bat, especially because I think rough patches are inevitable.

Final thought, even if Niumatalolo didn't change philosophies, he's used to running what he runs with less than ideal personnell, just by virtue of having to take what you get at a service academy.
CopaCat

Post by CopaCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:53 pm
CopaCat wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:11 pm

Niumatalolo is a proven winner with solid character. A good staff is gonna be a boon to anyone, though. A HC can only do so much.

Brennan has upside and I feel like we should at least interview him if he's willing. Either Brennan or Niumatalolo is an upgrade over Sumlin, just a question of how much.

I concur on both being better than Sumlin. A Ham Sandwich would be better than Sumlin. I am not worried in the least about Niumatalolo's coaching prowess, not as sure about Brennan on that point. No matter what both need a good staff if we are going to take the football program to the next level.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

So what offense was he running before ran the triple option? Because that kind hard to believe that He not going to run an offense that made him successful at Navy. He would have to be fool for saying that.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
In re UofA

Post by In re UofA »

Has anyone asked Tate who we should hire?
cerec_cat

Post by cerec_cat »

In re UofA wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:03 pm Has anyone asked Tate who we should hire?
seemed at times he wouldn't play for either Sumlin or Rodriguez
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

cordera89 wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:35 pm
So what offense was he running before ran the triple option? Because that kind hard to believe that He not going to run an offense that made him successful at Navy. He would have to be fool for saying that.
I take it as Ken N is going to be a "CEO" type coach, like Sumlin was, but will actually have his shit together. The main problem with this is, we don't have the money to paid for top quality assistants compared to the rest our conference, I believe we ranked last (https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salari ... /assistant, last column).
NickyBCats

Post by NickyBCats »

Soooooooo... Ken N it is huh?
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

cerec_cat wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:49 am
In re UofA wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:03 pm Has anyone asked Tate who we should hire?
And why did Tate commit to UA again? Oh that right RR gave him a chance to play QB

And how did you come to that logic he didnt want to play for both coaches?
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

Looks like it's Ken. If not in the next 24 hours then he is off the board. Hated the idea last time, now I want to see if I was wrong and like the idea.
cerec_cat

Post by cerec_cat »

cordera89 wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:32 am
And why did Tate commit to UA again? Oh that right RR gave him a chance to play QB

Something about his demeanor on the field at times...but who am I to have an opinion on things...
In re UofA

Post by In re UofA »

From what I've gathered in a few internet searches Ken seems like a stand up guy. I'm interested to hear who he can secure for staff.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

cerec_cat wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:53 am
cordera89 wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:32 am

Something about his demeanor on the field at times...but who am I to have an opinion on things...
Never saw a guy less interested in being a part of a team, except maybe Jay Cutler.
ProfessorFate

Post by ProfessorFate »

Gilbertcat wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:41 am Looks like it's Ken. If not in the next 24 hours then he is off the board. Hated the idea last time, now I want to see if I was wrong and like the idea.
Where did you get the 24 hours info from? BB supposedly isn't interviewing until this weekend.
2023 Football RAP Champion
2022 Mark Schlabach Memorial Bracket Champion
2017 Bear Down Wildcats Survival Pool Champion
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

ProfessorFate wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:38 am
Gilbertcat wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:41 am Looks like it's Ken. If not in the next 24 hours then he is off the board. Hated the idea last time, now I want to see if I was wrong and like the idea.
Where did you get the 24 hours info from? BB supposedly isn't interviewing until this weekend.
I believe Gilbertcat is correct here. Announcement could be coming soon.*

*The same was said 3 years ago, so yeah we’ll see.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

I'm not sure if Coach N.'s experience coaching at an academy will really translate well to the PAC-12. Coach N. was a hotter name three years ago, but he's still coaching at Navy today. One serious question I have is if he is such a great hire, why hasn't another BCS school scooped him up in the last three years? This to me, is worrisome.

As for Brennan's record, almost all coaches are going to struggle with W/L's after they take over for a guy who was just fired for not winning enough. It's what he has built at a bottom feeder that is impressive. Heck, even Nick Saban never won more than 7 games at Michigan State his first four years, before having a breakout year of 9 wins, and then taking the LSU job. To me, a guy who can slowly build a team into a winner years four and five are the kind of guy we need in Tucson. Think more of the Stoops' model. Won only 6 games his first two years, but by year 3, we were competitive. And in years 5 and 6, we won 16 games and game within a whisker of a Rose Bowl. Had Stoops had better control on the sideline and been able to replace assistants like Mark Stoops and Sonny Dykes with equals, who knows how long Mike would have stayed in Tucson.

If it's Ken N., color me unimpressed. Not that he's not a top notch guy and knows football, but I just don't see him as a guy with program building experience. And the fact that he's still in the same job as three years ago when we first came knocking doesn't thrill me. Don't tell me maybe Coach N. will see Tucson has his final destination. That's meaningless if he doesn't win. Give me the guy who after four years, the Texas and Ohio States of the world come knocking on our door to steal our coach. Not the guy who is already thinking about his retirement.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

BYU, Boston College, and a few other larger scale jobs have offered Niumatalolo and be turned them all down.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

One thing to about Niumatalolo, he is a stake president in the Mormon church. He won't be coming to practice drunk like Sumlin.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Merkin wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:58 am One thing to about Niumatalolo, he is a stake president in the Mormon church. He won't be coming to practice drunk like Sumlin.
Q: How do you keep a Mormon from drinking?

A: Invite another one.
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

ChooChooCat wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:55 am BYU, Boston College, and a few other larger scale jobs have offered Niumatalolo and be turned them all down.
There are a couple of dozen other Power 5 schools that he wouldn't even pick up the phone for. One of the most feared and respected coaches in the college coaching community.

As a die hard fan of an AAC school I see this as win/win. ECU doesn't have to face him annually any longer and UofA is getting a great coach.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

AzCatFan2 wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:54 am I'm not sure if Coach N.'s experience coaching at an academy will really translate well to the PAC-12. Coach N. was a hotter name three years ago, but he's still coaching at Navy today. One serious question I have is if he is such a great hire, why hasn't another BCS school scooped him up in the last three years? This to me, is worrisome.

As for Brennan's record, almost all coaches are going to struggle with W/L's after they take over for a guy who was just fired for not winning enough. It's what he has built at a bottom feeder that is impressive. Heck, even Nick Saban never won more than 7 games at Michigan State his first four years, before having a breakout year of 9 wins, and then taking the LSU job. To me, a guy who can slowly build a team into a winner years four and five are the kind of guy we need in Tucson. Think more of the Stoops' model. Won only 6 games his first two years, but by year 3, we were competitive. And in years 5 and 6, we won 16 games and game within a whisker of a Rose Bowl. Had Stoops had better control on the sideline and been able to replace assistants like Mark Stoops and Sonny Dykes with equals, who knows how long Mike would have stayed in Tucson.

If it's Ken N., color me unimpressed. Not that he's not a top notch guy and knows football, but I just don't see him as a guy with program building experience. And the fact that he's still in the same job as three years ago when we first came knocking doesn't thrill me. Don't tell me maybe Coach N. will see Tucson has his final destination. That's meaningless if he doesn't win. Give me the guy who after four years, the Texas and Ohio States of the world come knocking on our door to steal our coach. Not the guy who is already thinking about his retirement.
I'm not hating on Brennan, but he's had one season over .500 in his head coaching life. I'm not ready to think the Texas's and OSU's will be coming for him.

Brennan's done a good job, but compare his time at SJSU to Mike Macintyre's time there. It's close to a mirror image. Macintyre moved to CO, improved them, then dropped off and was fired.

Point being, let's not overrate people. You wonder if Niumatalolo is a program builder. You can also wonder if Brennan can sustain what he's built. Maybe he can, but it's not clear right now.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

How can you not be impressed by a guy who builds the character of young men like KN does. He runs a super clean program and competes against programs who have very little restrictions.

When Tomey first got to AZ he ran the run and shoot with Ronnie Veal which was veer oriented and an outlier at the time.

I think he will do an outstanding job and I think he will understand how important it is to beat our rival after competing against Army for so long.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

Anybody who can get on the field with the Notre Dames of the world and be competitive with them while running out a bunch of undersized, overachieving future military desk jockeys can probably coach. I’m not sure what a program builder is anymore. It used to mean Bobby Bowden turning FSU into a national powerhouse. Now it means taking a losing program and squeezing out a couple of winning seasons I guess?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ByJoveByJingle wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:47 am Anybody who can get on the field with the Notre Dames of the world and be competitive with them while running out a bunch of undersized, overachieving future military desk jockeys can probably coach. I’m not sure what a program builder is anymore. It used to mean Bobby Bowden turning FSU into a national powerhouse. Now it means taking a losing program and squeezing out a couple of winning seasons I guess?
TBH, I find it impressive Navy is competitive in the AAC. The AAC is a legit midmajor conference, and Navy faces challenges that no other AAC program does.

Navy has a harder road as a conference member then Army does as an independent. During Niumatalolo's time there, Cincy, UCF, Houston, Memphis and SMU have all been top 25 at points, so it's no easy road.