New Coach Hot Board

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

cerec_cat

Re: New Coach Hot Board

Post by cerec_cat »

We obviously need stability at the head coaching position. Not someone using us as a stepping stone. I always thought RRod was the guy, but felt burned when he flirted with South Carolina. For coach N to even consider us after what happened the last time, tells me he want the job for the long haul. Personally, if Tomey wanted him, that is good enough for me.
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

CopaCat wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:07 am To me this possible Niumatalolo hire screams Dave Heeke trying to stick it to everyone for forcing him into Sumlin, contrary to what the reports are saying about Booster support.

I love Ken N as a coach. He is exactly the kind of coach we need. Unfortunately I am not as enthusiastic about him as a recruiter or his offense. I really hope if we go with Niumatalolo that Salavea or Pierce(doubtful but still my dream) come along as a D Coordinator/Recruiter. Same stipulations with a Brennan hire. We need a recruiter, period. It sucks that 2 of the better recruiters on the West Coast are former Wildcats and yet we can't recruit.
I will try to not give away premium content from Scheers site but basically Ken N had an A+ OC in the bag to come with him 3 years ago. That name is now an OC at a Major Power 5 program and a HC candidate but that makes me think that Ken N would be able to entice another name at OC to come with him this time. He is highly, highly, respected in the College Football ranks and would be able to put together an A+ staff.

The thought of Arizona football being a respected, well coached, instead of a complete joke gives me goosebumps.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

CopaCat wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:07 am To me this possible Niumatalolo hire screams Dave Heeke trying to stick it to everyone for forcing him into Sumlin, contrary to what the reports are saying about Booster support.

I love Ken N as a coach. He is exactly the kind of coach we need. Unfortunately I am not as enthusiastic about him as a recruiter or his offense. I really hope if we go with Niumatalolo that Salavea or Pierce(doubtful but still my dream) come along as a D Coordinator/Recruiter. Same stipulations with a Brennan hire. We need a recruiter, period. It sucks that 2 of the better recruiters on the West Coast are former Wildcats and yet we can't recruit.
Dunno, I sort of feel the opposite way. I'm not convinced even a great recruiter will ever have Arizona at the top of the Pac. We just don't have the talent at home or the facilities or history, so I think we always lose out to SC, Oregon or Washington in the end.

What we can do is (hopefully) consistently score classes in the 30's and retain and develop talent. I feel like that's the road forward, not dominant recruiting. Decent recruiting, great player development, just because we have more control over player development than recruiting.
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:13 am

Dunno, I sort of feel the opposite way. I'm not convinced even a great recruiter will ever have Arizona at the top of the Pac. We just don't have the talent at home or the facilities or history, so I think we always lose out to SC, Oregon or Washington in the end.

What we can do is (hopefully) consistently score classes in the 30's and retain and develop talent. I feel like that's the road forward, not dominant recruiting. Decent recruiting, great player development, just because we have more control over player development than recruiting.
Recruit decent talent, develop them, coach them up, play mistake free football, become the program that everyone in the conference least looks forward to playing, & have a roster of loyal alumni for years. That's how it should be done at Arizona.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

UofAlum05 wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:10 am

I will try to not give away premium content from Scheers site but basically Ken N had an A+ OC in the bag to come with him 3 years ago. That name is now an OC at a Major Power 5 program
and a HC candidate but that makes me think that Ken N would be able to entice another name at OC to come with him this time. He is highly, highly, respected in the College Football ranks and would be able to put together an A+ staff.

The thought of Arizona football being a respected, well coached, instead of a complete joke gives me goosebumps.

He tweeted that out fortunately
RondaeShimmy wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:42 am The asu dude?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Pierce is more likely to take a dump on the Arizona Stadium field than ever coach on the Arizona sideline ever.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

This is Robbins’s guy.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

ChooChooCat wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:33 am This is Robbins’s guy.
JFC...
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

Robbins needs to just stay away from coaching searches/hires.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

I hate Robbins
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

Can we get a School President Hot Board started?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Has Fisch stayed anywhere for more than 18 months? Talk about a guy looking for a stepping stone position.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I'm not going to pretend to know about him, but a guy who's 47, not a name and spent 3 years as a CFB assistant in his life does not seem ideal compared to Brennan or Niumatalolo. He's never even been a full time HC.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:50 am
I'm not going to pretend to know about him, but a guy who's 47, not a name and spent 3 years as a CFB assistant in his life does not seem ideal compared to Brennan or Niumatalolo. He's never even been a full time HC.
I'm guessing he's looking for an NFL OC position and trying to get his name out there. Which, when you look at his resume, seems to have been his focus for the better part of a decade now. He's certainly not a program builder.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Hard pass
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

I was getting my hopes up that all the legit candidates were decent hires that I would be fine with whatever happened. Then we get this...Fisch. How does that even make sense?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

The state of Arizona anymore is one of the top 5-6 recruiting states and we have good to great facilities
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

It’s 2020, got to be Fisch
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Why hire a search firm just for the president to try to suggest/instill a guy
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Uhh no
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ASUHATER! wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:02 pm

The state of Arizona anymore is one of the top 5-6 recruiting states and we have good to great facilities
I've disagreed with you a bunch on our facilities and pointed out that (if I remember right) 8 Pac schools have newer and more expensive facility upgrades. We'll have to agree to disagree.

On overall talent, this has Arizona at 10th, but there are 11 states with between 5 and 10 blue chip recruits a year.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.banner ... s-by-state

Our big issue is most of those 9 are out of Phoenix, in ASU's back yard. Plus, just among Pac schools, California has over 3x the blue chips and WA has just about as many as AZ. Add in Oregon being a Nike powerhouse and we're at best middle of the Pac pack in access to talent.
prh

Post by prh »

At this point, who has hurt our university more, Heeke or Robbins? And we thought the previous president was bad, yikes
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

prh wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:15 pm At this point, who has hurt our university more, Heeke or Robbins? And we thought the previous president was bad, yikes
I don't want to riot yet. At this point I like Brennan and Niumatalolo, so I'm still hoping Fisch is just chatter.

If we hire Fisch, by all means, I'm on board with thinking the sky is falling. I have a bit of a soft spot for Robbins bc he's supposedly been the reason we didn't overreact and fire Miller, but Fisch would be a really awful call.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

If we hire Fisch or Quinn or Neuwheasel, I'm out. I'll just be done.

Which won't be a huge stretch since I'm already about 95% of the way there. I watched probably one hour of UA football this year total. Not going to be tough to find something to do with that time.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I feel like these are the two appropriate reactions to Fisch.

AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

cerec_cat wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:08 am We obviously need stability at the head coaching position. Not someone using us as a stepping stone. I always thought RRod was the guy, but felt burned when he flirted with South Carolina. For coach N to even consider us after what happened the last time, tells me he want the job for the long haul. Personally, if Tomey wanted him, that is good enough for me.
If a guy comes to Arizona, and leaves to go to an Ohio State or the NFL, I have no problem with this. It meant we had a successful run under the coach, and the program is in better shape. Think Utah regrets hiring Urban Meyer even though he left after only 2 years? He left them a much better program, and Whittingham. This belief that we must hire a coach who doesn't use us as a stepping stone is silly. Give me a guy who wants to be the next Urban Meyer who is currently coaching at Bowling Green like Meyer did, and I'd hire him in a heartbeat at Arizona, even if the tenure is a short one.

We need a guy who can build a program. RichRod was that kind of guy, but his off-field issues became too big a problem, and we had to let him go. Too bad too, because he had earned the right to coach another year, and we probably do no worse than 7-5 and a bowl game had RR stayed.

Not sure if Niumatalo is a true program builder. It's the nature of service academies. And certainly, being head coach at Arizona would mean a big learning curve for Coach N. Brennan, on the other hand, has built a winning team at a place where .500 is usually seen as a good year. To me, this is the type of builder we need. If he can build SJSU into a winner, there's a decent chance he can do the same at Arizona. If this means he leaves us four years from now for a school willing to pay him $5 million, then fantastic, because that means we will have had success, and be in a much better position.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Chicat wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:28 pm If we hire Fisch or Quinn or Neuwheasel, I'm out. I'll just be done.

Which won't be a huge stretch since I'm already about 95% of the way there. I watched probably one hour of UA football this year total. Not going to be tough to find something to do with that time.
100% same for me. I think I watched about 80 mins this year.
prh

Post by prh »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:23 pm
prh wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:15 pm At this point, who has hurt our university more, Heeke or Robbins? And we thought the previous president was bad, yikes
I don't want to riot yet. At this point I like Brennan and Niumatalolo, so I'm still hoping Fisch is just chatter.

If we hire Fisch, by all means, I'm on board with thinking the sky is falling. I have a bit of a soft spot for Robbins bc he's supposedly been the reason we didn't overreact and fire Miller, but Fisch would be a really awful call.
That makes sense, I tend to credit our boosters more for keeping Miller than Robbins. Answer might be somewhere in the middle. Although to be honest, anyone with half a brain cell knew we should hang onto Sean for a number of reasons.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Are you making this up?
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:35 am
cordera89 wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:16 am
scumdevils86 wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:40 am Yea I am really worried about how Ken can recruit successfully to a program outside of navy if the triple o is his system still...
Did anyone forget Paul Johnson Triple Option at Georgia Tech? And how he recruited there?
Johnson won 58% of his games at GT, made the Orange Bowl twice and made bowls in 9 of 11 years. Frankly, I'd be happy with those sort of results at Arizona.
Then why are you and some complaining about Triple Option offense? Then we complain about Spread Option Offense the same way?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

cordera89 wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:07 pm
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:35 am
cordera89 wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:16 am
scumdevils86 wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:40 am Yea I am really worried about how Ken can recruit successfully to a program outside of navy if the triple o is his system still...
Did anyone forget Paul Johnson Triple Option at Georgia Tech? And how he recruited there?
Johnson won 58% of his games at GT, made the Orange Bowl twice and made bowls in 9 of 11 years. Frankly, I'd be happy with those sort of results at Arizona.
Then why are you and some complaining about Triple Option offense? Then we complain about Spread Option Offense the same way?
I'm not complaining. I want to win. If we run the Wishbone or Wing T and win, I'm fine. You've got me confused with someone else.
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

A clip from Fisch's his Wiki Page

"Fisch grew up in East Hanover Township, New Jersey and attended Hanover Park High School. Notably, Fisch did not play football at the high school or college level, but instead was an all-state tennis player during his prep career."

1. Not a Football Player.
2. Was a tennis player.
3. Do not want as a Coach at Arizona.

...Just Hire Coach Ken already. I'm back on his bandwagon and let's announce it by tomorrow.
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Some of this talk about Arizonas inability to recruit good players bothers me. In the 80's we got some very good recruits and we seemed to often be in the high teens or twenties in recruiting class rankings.

Tucson is an awesome place to live and get an education, and the coed attractiveness quotient is probably as high as anywhere else. Add the weather, the mountains nearby, and the sheer beauty of the high desert, along with it being a great campus and the only football game in town.

I dont think all those pool parties the kids are having would hurt the process either.

I think RR was right. Get the recruit in town and we've got a great chance at them. We just need a charismatic, hungry guy that manages his staff, recruits like a madman, and coaches well and we'll be competitive. Utah has done it and so has WSU off and on.

Hell, if RR had even a mediocre defense, some of those teams would've been very good.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Carcassdragger wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:16 pm
I dont think all those pool parties the kids are having would hurt the process either.

That's how we got Gronk.
-JB
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Carcassdragger wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:16 pm Some of this talk about Arizonas inability to recruit good players bothers me. In the 80's we got some very good recruits and we seemed to often be in the high teens or twenties in recruiting class rankings.

Tucson is an awesome place to live and get an education, and the coed attractiveness quotient is probably as high as anywhere else. Add the weather, the mountains nearby, and the sheer beauty of the high desert, along with it being a great campus and the only football game in town.

I think RR was right. Get the recruit in town and we've got a great chance at them. We just need a charismatic, hungry guy that manages his staff, recruits like a madman, and coaches well and we'll be competitive. Utah has done it and so has WSU off and on.

Hell, if RR had even a mediocre defense, some of those teams would've been very good.
I see it like this. I would judge a very good recruiter by this sort of expectation:

Average a class in the 25-35 range nationally. In good years, maybe push to high teens.

I would be fine if someone was only decent, averaged somewhere in the 30's and developed players well. RR and Sumlin were in the high 40's and 50's, so that would be a step up.

I doubt we have the recruiting ability to out talent people. I do think if we land solid classes in the 30's that are well coached, we can be knocking on the Top 25 door regularly and make a run at the South when pieces fall into place.

Frankly, I think that's a big W if we could have that sort of program strength on a regular basis.
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

MountainCat wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:15 pm A clip from Fisch's his Wiki Page

"Fisch grew up in East Hanover Township, New Jersey and attended Hanover Park High School. Notably, Fisch did not play football at the high school or college level, but instead was an all-state tennis player during his prep career."

2. Was a tennis player.

...Just Hire Coach Ken already. I'm back on his bandwagon and let's announce it by tomorrow.
Tennis! Never get someone with connections to tennis. That has never worked out in the Pac-12!
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

DrWildcat wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:38 pm

2. Was a tennis player.

Tennis! Never get someone with connections to tennis. That has never worked out in the Pac-12!

Amen

-JB
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Also, I dont know if its against the rules but how about guys like Foles and Bruschi coming to Tucson during recruit visiting season and making themselves available? I'm guessing there are times at USC when a recruit gets surprised at the airport by Marcus Allen or Ronnie Lott picking them up.

If this is against the rules, how about our famous alums, like Gronk, putting the word out about what a great place Arizona is to get an education and play football?
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

UAEebs86 wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:39 pm
DrWildcat wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:38 pm

2. Was a tennis player.

Amen

That outfit explains so much about Larry Scott's judgment.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

2. Was a tennis player.

While I don’t like Jedd Fisch at all, not playing football isn’t horrible. Mike Leach didn’t. Weis. Hugh Freeze. Not the best list but not a disqualifier.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

azgreg wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:52 pm
Does this mean with a guy like KN and he will roll yo BB this weekend or he started with this Fisch guy?
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:35 pm
Carcassdragger wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:16 pm Some of this talk about Arizonas inability to recruit good players bothers me. In the 80's we got some very good recruits and we seemed to often be in the high teens or twenties in recruiting class rankings.

I see it like this. I would judge a very good recruiter by this sort of expectation:

Average a class in the 25-35 range nationally. In good years, maybe push to high teens.

I would be fine if someone was only decent, averaged somewhere in the 30's and developed players well. RR and Sumlin were in the high 40's and 50's, so that would be a step up.

I doubt we have the recruiting ability to out talent people. I do think if we land solid classes in the 30's that are well coached, we can be knocking on the Top 25 door regularly and make a run at the South when pieces fall into place.

Frankly, I think that's a big W if we could have that sort of program strength on a regular basis.
No one on this broad care about RR recruiting being in Early,Mid Late 40s in recruiting rank? IF your saying who ever coach UA football has to recruit within 25-35 range? Your setting them up to failed regardless.

What stoops had was his name and good connection in state of Texas.

What Tomey had was the Island

What Sumlin had was ability to recruit which led no were.

What RR had was recruiting to his style.

Now if all four them had succeed no matter the difference we wouldn't be talking about this.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

I'm assuming Niumatalolo since Brennan has a game left to coach.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

azcat49 wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:59 pm
Does this mean with a guy like KN and he will roll yo BB this weekend or he started with this Fisch guy?
He probably not going to roll with BB. Because well if he convince Gus in which highly doubt that would be the first person he going to call first and if no then either KN or someone else.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Who's got the flight tracker fired up?
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I do have a subscription service to a flight radar and tracker app...
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

azgreg wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:14 pm Who's got the flight tracker fired up?
That stuff won't matter in the Covid era. We would need a Zoom hacker.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

WTF....

Tedy was actually approached for this job?