Tommy Lloyd

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

loomer

Re: Tommy Lloyd

Post by loomer »

TucsonClip wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:42 am Get me Tyty and bring back Kerr and I am on cloud 9 already.
Retaining Kerr would be huge for Lloyd and our offense. I see a lot of Kevin Pangos in Kerr's game in the few flashes we've seen making smart decisions in ball screen coverages and knocking down the 3.
NickyBCats

Post by NickyBCats »

Lloyd has a visit with TyTy this afternoon. My buddy coaches in the valley and says Arizona is very much in play from what he’s hearing.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

TucsonClip wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:42 am Get me Tyty and bring back Kerr and I am on cloud 9 already.
Is that assuming Tubelis and Mathurin are back
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I think there's always a kind of boost whenever a new coach is hired; there's an excitement to be part of the new era, even more so when it's happening at a program with history like Arizona has. Miller got one when he brought those players from Xavier and also landed a very solid class in his first full recruiting cycle. I expect the same or better with Lloyd.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

David Kelly did a big segment whatever channel he is on regarding OSU practice too.

Also caught him on radio the other day saying “ he’s the president of the school, he can do what he wants”.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:09 am I think there's always a kind of boost whenever a new coach is hired; there's an excitement to be part of the new era, even more so when it's happening at a program with history like Arizona has. Miller got one when he brought those players from Xavier and also landed a very solid class in his first full recruiting cycle. I expect the same or better with Lloyd.
It's a honeymoon period. Very normal and reasonable across the board.

For better and worse, Lloyd won't replicate what Miller did. We were in much worse shape when Miller took over. Zero recruits signed and Fogg and Lavender as basically the only two returners.

Lloyd has much more in the fold, so his job is more about retaining and building than a scratch rebuild. He may not have the surprise Elite Eight run Miller had in Year 2, but he could very well have a foundation for continuing success without the ups and downs we saw in Miller's first 3 years.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:30 am
Beachcat97 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:09 am I think there's always a kind of boost whenever a new coach is hired; there's an excitement to be part of the new era, even more so when it's happening at a program with history like Arizona has. Miller got one when he brought those players from Xavier and also landed a very solid class in his first full recruiting cycle. I expect the same or better with Lloyd.

For better and worse, Lloyd won't replicate what Miller did. We were in much worse shape when Miller took over. Zero recruits signed and Fogg and Lavender as basically the only two returners.

Lloyd has much more in the fold, so his job is more about retaining and building than a scratch rebuild. He may not have the surprise Elite Eight run Miller had in Year 2, but he could very well have a foundation for continuing success without the ups and downs we saw in Miller's first 3 years.
Agreed, Spiff. Miller's E8 in year two was surprising for everyone. D-Will turned out to be one of the best players in the country, and some of our role players (Horne, Mayes, Perry) started clicking at the right time.

It would be pretty surprising to see Lloyd do that well so quickly, mainly because it's his first head coaching job.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

You left out my man Nic Wise
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:42 am

Agreed, Spiff. Miller's E8 in year two was surprising for everyone. D-Will turned out to be one of the best players in the country, and some of our role players (Horne, Mayes, Perry) started clicking at the right time.

It would be pretty surprising to see Lloyd do that well so quickly, mainly because it's his first head coaching job.
The Elite Eight with DWill was also sort of a mirage brought on by overachieving very quickly, IMO. That's why we struggled in 2011-12, that the core of program strength wasn't there yet, so when we lost DWill, we backslid fast.

I don't think that backslide is necessarily incipient with Lloyd. Of course this depends on who he retains, but there are a number of solid multiyear players he inherits that can provide that immediate stability to build on.

The upside is he has the tools to succeed. The downside is it (rightfully, IMO) raises expectations right off the bat. 16-15 wasn't bad for Year 1 under Miller. It would be a disaster for Lloyd.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Olsondogg wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:48 am

You left out my man Nic Wise
I think it's because he was 5'9. Those little guys are hard to see.
azpatnca

Post by azpatnca »

I think about DWill a lot. I think if he had stayed 4 years - like if he had been born 20 years earlier and came up in the 80s - he'd have had a much longer career. On the other hand, he went #2 and got guaranteed money, and if he had stayed four years when he did play he'd probably have dropped to second round, just given the trend in drafting at the time.

So he definitely made the right move. I get there reality of the situation. But I wonder how he would have faired had he had 4 years of focused development.

One thing about the old days was a DWill at a college program is going to get the focus of the coaches and the playing time and all of that. A DWill at Minnesota is going to be behind Kevin Love and not getting the PT or the focus of the coaches. I think about that trade-off for players all the time.

I wonder about how the Lute Era guys seemed to have had such long careers compared with the Miller era guys, and I think that might be something there. 4 years in college prepares you for 20 years in the nba. 1 year prepares you for 5. But then again, maybe I'm just picking and choosing the guys who make the argument. I'm sure lots of Lute Era guys only played a year or two. I don't know, I haven't done the math. And I probably won't because it's irrelevant. There's no reason to stay 4 years and hope to work out a 20 year career when you can get lottery money now and be set for life.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

azpatnca wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:14 pm I think about DWill a lot. I think if he had stayed 4 years - like if he had been born 20 years earlier and came up in the 80s - he'd have had a much longer career. On the other hand, he went #2 and got guaranteed money, and if he had stayed four years when he did play he'd probably have dropped to second round, just given the trend in drafting at the time.

So he definitely made the right move. I get there reality of the situation. But I wonder how he would have faired had he had 4 years of focused development.

One thing about the old days was a DWill at a college program is going to get the focus of the coaches and the playing time and all of that. A DWill at Minnesota is going to be behind Kevin Love and not getting the PT or the focus of the coaches. I think about that trade-off for players all the time.

I wonder about how the Lute Era guys seemed to have had such long careers compared with the Miller era guys, and I think that might be something there. 4 years in college prepares you for 20 years in the nba. 1 year prepares you for 5. But then again, maybe I'm just picking and choosing the guys who make the argument. I'm sure lots of Lute Era guys only played a year or two. I don't know, I haven't done the math. And I probably won't because it's irrelevant. There's no reason to stay 4 years and hope to work out a 20 year career when you can get lottery money now and be set for life.
I don't know about DWill. He blew up as a soph in large part because he shot 57% from 3. That inside/outside combo made him unguardable.

In the NBA, he never came close to replicating that. His best year was .332 from 3, which not coincidentally, was also his best year as a pro, period. He needed the J to fall because he wasn't particularly long and had to space the floor to operate.

The more I look back at him, the more I think that soph shooting was a mirage. In that way, I think things worked out best for him. He capitalized on his stock in a way he probably wouldn't have when his shooting returned to earth.

The guy I think might have benefitted the most from staying (leaving out guys who left for no future like Comanche) was Rawle Alkins. He got handicapped by the foot his soph year, and he would have been the 1, 2 and 3 offensive option in 18-19. I think he'd at least have played himself into being drafted when he wasn't being overshadowed by Ayton and Trier...if he was eligible.

It's just a very different world. If you coach them up too well, they leave to get drafted. If they struggle, they transfer.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

DWill did come back to earth if I remember correctly.

I recall him being lights out in the non-conference season from three and then returning to the mean by the second half of conference play and him shooting A LOT less threes. I believe I chalked it up to defenses having seen him and guarding him tighter on the perimeter.

But then that Duke tourney game happened. He was everywhere. Just wreaking havoc on both ends of the floor in the first half when he literally singlehandedly kept us from getting blown out and then he had that signature slam where he made Singler look foolish in the 2nd and his draft status was cemented. He had the stats and showed up on the big stage. Done deal.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:15 am
Alieberman wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:56 am Let’s be honest about the Tucson media... if you can’t handle the Tucson media, you wouldn’t be able to handle the media anywhere

They aren’t exactly hard hitting
I don't know man. Big markets, stuff has priorities and matters.

What drives me nuts about Tucson media is the outsized sense of its own importance because there aren't the bigger real stories there are in major markets. So you get guys like Alexander or the dude who was super offended Oregon State didn't get more practice time trying to make controvery and conflict happen.
That to me signals just plain ignorance about your profession.

The only decent questions yesterday were around Lloyd's basketball philosophy - which we all I think knew but was nice to hear - and how he will approach scheduling.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:40 pm DWill did come back to earth if I remember correctly.

I recall him being lights out in the non-conference season from three and then returning to the mean by the second half of conference play and him shooting A LOT less threes. I believe I chalked it up to defenses having seen him and guarding him tighter on the perimeter.

But then that Duke tourney game happened. He was everywhere. Just wreaking havoc on both ends of the floor in the first half when he literally singlehandedly kept us from getting blown out and then he had that signature slam where he made Singler look foolish in the 2nd and his draft status was cemented. He had the stats and showed up on the big stage. Done deal.
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/pl ... elog/2011/

A little bit of both. He shot .564 in conference (I'll link the splits below) but got inconsistent, especially in the NCAA tourney. 1-10 vs Texas and UConn...in my opinion, it was a preview of how he struggled against larger players when his shot didn't fall.

I do agree he didn't get near as many open, in rhythym looks once defenses figured out he could shoot it. It was a fantastic %, but he shot fewer than 2 attempts per game.

Link to splits:

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/pl ... lits/2011/
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

I hope the top question Lloyd asks our recruits is "what do you want out of your college basketball experience?" and I hope the guys we take answer "to prepare myself for a lengthy pro career."

Not "be a one and done" - not "be a lottery pick" - but "prepare myself to play ten years in the NBA."
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

YoDeFoe wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:09 pm I hope the top question Lloyd asks our recruits is "what do you want out of your college basketball experience?" and I hope the guys we take answer "to prepare myself for a lengthy pro career."

Not "be a one and done" - not "be a lottery pick" - but "prepare myself to play ten years in the NBA."
Call me old fashioned, but I hope the top question Lloyd asks our recruits is, "What does your family need? A new car? A house in a nice area? A sack of cash?"

Kidding....

Maybe...
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Why can't he ask both questions?

;)
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Chicat wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:14 pm
Call me old fashioned, but I hope the top question Lloyd asks our recruits is, "What does your family need? A new car? A house in a nice area? A sack of cash?"

Kidding....

Maybe...
:lol:
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:09 pm I hope the top question Lloyd asks our recruits is "what do you want out of your college basketball experience?" and I hope the guys we take answer "to prepare myself for a lengthy pro career."

Kidding....

Maybe...
Hopefully not on a wire this time. That's also a priority for me.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm

Kidding....

Maybe...
On this specific, I think (and hope) you guys are totally disappointed!!

And, if first impressions mean anything, I'm pretty confident in this prediction.
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I have confidence that Lloyd is experienced enough not to be cowed by the punishing hand of the NCAA's amateurism fantasy.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

pc in NM wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:24 pm
Chicat wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:14 pm Call me old fashioned, but I hope the top question Lloyd asks our recruits is, "What does your family need? A new car? A house in a nice area? A sack of cash?"

Kidding....

Maybe...

And, if first impressions mean anything, I'm pretty confident in this prediction.
Lloyd just signed a top 40 kid, so I'm pretty sure he's good at the game. As long as it leaves no trail, we're just like KY, UNC, Duke, Kansas, etc.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I don't think recruiting is going to be a problem with Coach Tommy
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

gronk4heisman wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:54 am
I prefer getting Akinjo back, but Tyty would be a nice consolation. Not sure if the time frame of Tyty and Akinjo deciding overlaps, but I don't see us taking both (or each player wanting to be here together).
I am probably in the minority, but ill roll with Tyty. One of them coming in/back and Kerr returning would be a huge boost.
Last edited by TucsonClip on Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

RondaeShimmy wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:05 am
Is that assuming Tubelis and Mathurin are back
I am assuming Zu is back regardless. Benn would be the cherry on top. Im just going to assume he leaves and be overjoyed if he returns.

-Shane Battier
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:29 pm
Chicat wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:14 pm Call me old fashioned, but I hope the top question Lloyd asks our recruits is, "What does your family need? A new car? A house in a nice area? A sack of cash?"

Kidding....

Maybe...

Lloyd just signed a top 40 kid, so I'm pretty sure he's good at the game. As long as it leaves no trail, we're just like KY, UNC, Duke, Kansas, etc.
Um, Kansas left a text message trail from the fingers of the head coach himself.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Longhorned wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:44 pm
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:29 pm

Kidding....

Maybe...

Um, Kansas left a text message trail from the fingers of the head coach himself.
According to Kansas, they're all good and that coach is theirs for life. I think you've been sucked in by fake news.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Outside of Mathurin there isn’t a player I want to return more than Akinjo
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

If CTL can secure Akinjo, Tubelis, and Mathurin’s return I will be more than just happy.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I can only assume you’d be aroused.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Olsondogg wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:31 pm I can only assume you’d be aroused.
I would fondle an intact roster.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Longhorned wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:50 pm
You're gonna piss off a lot of hens!!
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

Longhorned wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:50 pm
So only if they're gentiles then? :lol:
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

I’d certainly have a chubby.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

I need someone to sell me on Tyty. I watched him in the Gatorade nationals. I thought he was slow and was not impressed at all. The last thing this team needs is another perimeter that allows blow byes
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Interesting article in Seattle newspaper: https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/gon ... mmy-lloyd/
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Frybry02 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:18 pm I need someone to sell me on Tyty. I watched him in the Gatorade nationals. I thought he was slow and was not impressed at all. The last thing this team needs is another perimeter that allows blow byes
I havent seen enough of him to confidently go in on an evaluation, but I love what I have seen thus far and the scouting reports on him match some with what I have seen.

Here is my brief take:

Good size, 6'3" with a 6'9" wingspan. Crafty with the ball, plays off hesitations and change of speed. Can score at all three levels (40% from three on the year) AND get to the line. Physical with some attitude on the floor. Good vision and a willing passer for someone who scores so well. I havent seen much on defense, but that was allegedly one of the calling cards of his game, when he feels like it.

Personally, I think hes a better fit for what we want to do over Akinjo. However, Akinjo is so talented as a scorer, and hitting spot up threes, its hard to say no to him coming back in favor of Tyty. Yet thats where I am. Akinjo pounds the ball too much for me, and that might have been required last season... Well, it was in most cases. That isnt exactly what you want to see in this new offense. Cant remember how much I posted it here, but once we saw a few games of Kerr last season, I wanted him to initiate the offense and Akinjo to be a finisher. The ball moves better and touches more hands off Kerr, which also allows Akinjo to be freed up for the catch and shoot threes, plus second side driving lanes to attack.

-Shane Battier
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

TucsonClip wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:29 pm
Frybry02 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:18 pm I need someone to sell me on Tyty. I watched him in the Gatorade nationals. I thought he was slow and was not impressed at all. The last thing this team needs is another perimeter that allows blow byes
I havent seen enough of him to confidently go in on an evaluation, but I love what I have seen thus far and the scouting reports on him match some with what I have seen.

Here is my brief take:

Good size, 6'3" with a 6'9" wingspan. Crafty with the ball, plays off hesitations and change of speed. Can score at all three levels (40% from three on the year) AND get to the line. Physical with some attitude on the floor. Good vision and a willing passer for someone who scores so well. I havent seen much on defense, but that was allegedly one of the calling cards of his game, when he feels like it.

Personally, I think hes a better fit for what we want to do over Akinjo. However, Akinjo is so talented as a scorer, and hitting spot up threes, its hard to say no to him coming back in favor of Tyty. Yet thats where I am. Akinjo pounds the ball too much for me, and that might have been required last season... Well, it was in most cases. That isnt exactly what you want to see in this new offense. Cant remember how much I posted it here, but once we saw a few games of Kerr last season, I wanted him to initiate the offense and Akinjo to be a finisher. The ball moves better and touches more hands off Kerr, which also allows Akinjo to be freed up for the catch and shoot threes, plus second side driving lanes to attack.
And there it is. What timing.

-Shane Battier
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

It could be a short lived honeymoon period for CTL.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Frybry02 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:40 pm It could be a short lived honeymoon period for CTL.
Give me Tyty and Kerr and we good.

-Shane Battier
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

TucsonClip wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:43 pm
Frybry02 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:40 pm It could be a short lived honeymoon period for CTL.
Kerr is in the transfer portal
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

I think they all will enter the transfer portal as a sign of loyalty to Miller. I hope the majority return quickly.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

TheCat wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:50 pm I think they all will enter the transfer portal as a sign of loyalty to Miller. I hope the majority return quickly.
I like your optimism but I imagine many of the players are beyond hurt/upset from Arizona admin has done to them the past 6 months. They are probably feeling no loyalty.

They took away their chance of playing in the postseason and then fired their coach. I can only imagine their emotions
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

TucsonClip wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:29 pm Personally, I think hes a better fit for what we want to do over Akinjo. However, Akinjo is so talented as a scorer, and hitting spot up threes, its hard to say no to him coming back in favor of Tyty. Yet thats where I am. Akinjo pounds the ball too much for me, and that might have been required last season... Well, it was in most cases. That isnt exactly what you want to see in this new offense. Cant remember how much I posted it here, but once we saw a few games of Kerr last season, I wanted him to initiate the offense and Akinjo to be a finisher. The ball moves better and touches more hands off Kerr, which also allows Akinjo to be freed up for the catch and shoot threes, plus second side driving lanes to attack.
Full agreed with this, especially the part about Kerr initiating vs Akinjo ball dominant habits.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Frybry02 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:55 pm
TheCat wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:50 pm I think they all will enter the transfer portal as a sign of loyalty to Miller. I hope the majority return quickly.
I like your optimism but I imagine many of the players are beyond hurt/upset from Arizona admin has done to them the past 6 months. They are probably feeling no loyalty.

They took away their chance of playing in the postseason and then fired their coach. I can only imagine their emotions
Yep! I bet Benn is gone too
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

There goes my rooster.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

TucsonClip wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:43 pm
I wonder if Lloyd even attempts to recruit Tyty.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Frybry02 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:21 pm
TucsonClip wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:43 pm Give me Tyty and Kerr and we good.
I wonder if Lloyd even attempts to recruit Tyty.
Give me Adam Miller and Kerr and we good.

6'3" combo guard with good length and he knows how to play in a Lloyd style offense already. He's in the transfer portal after a decently productive freshman season at Illinois.

Lloyd, holler at your Illini bro Gentry and get it done :!: