Dinner Tonight

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Jefe

Re: Dinner Tonight

Post by Jefe »

Made Bucatini Amatriciana last night with ingredients bought from Target haha. No San Marzano's but they did have some fancy fire roasted Muir Glen tomatoes. Even found some diced pancetta and it was delicious. Next time Ill be going all authentic if I can find some guanciale

Need to work on my Cacio e Pepe recipe. Have not been able to get the sauce creamy enough
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Cacio e pepe takes practice. It's from a culture where the mom makes it at least twice a week, and we have to do the same to get the texture right. You can also make alla gricia, which is basically the pecorino sauce of the cacio e pepe with guanciale.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

scumdevils86 wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:04 pm I'm anticipating losing quite a bit of weight with a newborn in 5 weeks
You are?

Please allow me to introduce you to the concepts of stress eating and sleep eating.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I gained weight during pregnancy as my wife did. It was weird. But yeah, after the birth lack of sleep raises hunger. And if there are no siblings, meal time is blissful and unhurried. It's later that dinners and conversations are a thing of the past.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Chicat wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:55 am
scumdevils86 wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:04 pm I'm anticipating losing quite a bit of weight with a newborn in 5 weeks
You are?

Please allow me to introduce you to the concepts of stress eating and sleep eating.
Well I'm quitting drinking for one so that'll help
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Longhorned wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:37 pm Cacio e pepe takes practice. It's from a culture where the mom makes it at least twice a week, and we have to do the same to get the texture right. You can also make alla gricia, which is basically the pecorino sauce of the cacio e pepe with guanciale.
I cook the pasta in as little water as possible (Kenji) and have even been known to shake a little semolina in the water with the salt (ATK). Both help get the water extra starch so it binds better. I use a carbon steel pan, so I can go to town with a fork and emulsify everything. It’s work.

Is mine as good as a sidewalk cafe in Rome? No, but pretty dang close.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Grilled cheese and bacon sandwiches.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Came home from a five day Lake-in-Wisconsin mini vacation to a totally empty refrigerator.

So I cooked takeout pizza.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

We had fried Buck steaks.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Pizza from Time Market. A commitment to just okay.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

I am curious about a new restaurant opening up close by. It is called 7 Leaves Cafe. Burger Factory went out of business June 25 and the California restaurant is moving in. First one in the state of Arizona.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

We made taco pie (or I’m not really sure what to call it).

Mixed cornbread mix with creamed corn, one egg, and a big scoop of sour cream and baked for 20 minutes. Sautéed onions and peppers, then browned two pounds of ground beef and added a bunch of Mexican spices. When the beef & cornbread were cooked I threw some enchilada sauce over the cornbread and then poured the beef over the top. Topped it with a shitload of shredded cheese and threw it back in the oven for twenty minutes.

Topped it with tomatoes, green onions, and avocado slices.

Delicious
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Sounds like a Sammy Davis, jr. production. His friends used to say that he'd make them dinner, and it was always amazing but you'd never have it again because it was completely improvised. But since you recorded it here, maybe you can repeat it.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

For dinner tonight, I've perfected an elaborate putanesca-based pasta al forno. It's like putanesca meets one of my favorite traditional pizza orders in Italy: tuna and onion with mozzarella. I mix grated lemon rind to the olives and capers before adding them, which works with the anchovy to brighten up everything through the umami blast. So it's an oniony putanesca with tuna and mozzarella baked at 375 until it's all hot and melty with some of the noodles crisped. It's so classic that it must already exist somewhere in central or southern Italy.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Longhorned wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:04 pm Sounds like a Sammy Davis, jr. production. His friends used to say that he'd make them dinner, and it was always amazing but you'd never have it again because it was completely improvised. But since you recorded it here, maybe you can repeat it.
Next time I’m doing it with Chili instead of taco meat.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Longhorned wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:34 amFor dinner tonight, I've perfected an elaborate putanesca-based pasta al forno. It's like putanesca meets one of my favorite traditional pizza orders in Italy: tuna and onion with mozzarella. I mix grated lemon rind to the olives and capers before adding them, which works with the anchovy to brighten up everything through the umami blast. So it's an oniony putanesca with tuna and mozzarella baked at 375 until it's all hot and melty with some of the noodles crisped. It's so classic that it must already exist somewhere in central or southern Italy.
The google pics of this look incredible, adding that to my list. I might sub out the anchovy for sundried tomatoes though.

Made my best cacio e pepe yet last night. Followed this: https://youtu.be/m-4lVqaG9d0?t=349

What other cooking channels do you guys follow? I watch Matty Matheson more for the entertainment value but the dude can cook: https://www.youtube.com/c/mattymatheson/videos
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Kenji's channel. Sometimes Josh Weissman. binging with babish.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

SadPapi on TikTok. I’m sure he has a YouTube, I just never use YT.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

My wife, who is quite the baker, is making quiche lorraine. Smells amazing.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Great B-52’s song.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

EastCoastCat wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:27 pm Great B-52’s song.
We gave our daughter the middle name Ionia because I imagined it as the name of a woman who'd lounge in environs evocative of the album cover for Wild Planet. We almost made that her first name.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Longhorned wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:40 pm
We gave our daughter the middle name Ionia because I imagined it as the name of a woman who'd lounge in environs evocative of the album cover for Wild Planet. We almost made that her first name.
There was a girl in my high school named Lorraine Kisch. I thought of that song everytime I saw her.

Has anybody seen, a dog dyed dark green?...
-JB
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Mini pizza bagels.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Eegee's

Watermelon is the best flavor ever.
-JB
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

At Eegee's, am I the only one who makes his family members ask for ranch with their fries so I can pour it on my sandwich?

My wife and kid both dislike ranch, which confounds me.

In the midwest and east coast, ranch is a sweet sauce, kind of like a viscous Miracle Whip. For reasons that aren't clear, that's the version of ranch they sell at Trader Joe's. Pretty bad stuff.

I think the best ranch on the planet is at Eegee's.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

UAEebs86 wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:25 pm
Longhorned wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:40 pm
There was a girl in my high school named Lorraine Kisch. I thought of that song everytime I saw her.

Has anybody seen, a dog dyed dark green?...
I think so after taking mushrooms one time.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Eegees by the pool tonight
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Gonna reverse sear some t-bones.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I don't know why, but I prefer t-bone over porterhouse.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Longhorned wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:58 pm I don't know why, but I prefer t-bone over porterhouse.
Interesting. They’re the same cut. T-bone has a smaller filet side than porterhouse.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

wyo-cat wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:05 pm
Longhorned wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:58 pm I don't know why, but I prefer t-bone over porterhouse.
Interesting. They’re the same cut. T-bone has a smaller filet side than porterhouse.
Yeah, that’s odd. Only difference I’ve ever noted is in the overall size. Although I’ve had some really nice marbling in porterhouses that have made me buy them over t-bones.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I think it's the misplaced but somehow more believable feeling that, yes, this whole t-bone is something I should be allowed to eat all by myself on my own plate. A porterhouse steak doesn't enable that suspension of disbelief. You have to cut it up off the bone and disperse it among plates to share it with others. My own plate looks like my mom cut up my steak for me.

This is also why I'm not into Brazilian steakhouses. I don't want meat carvers walking around putting portions of different cuts on my plate. I want a big, bone-in steak on my plate that's mine.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Longhorned wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:24 pm I think it's the misplaced but somehow more believable feeling that, yes, this whole t-bone is something I should be allowed to eat all by myself on my own plate. A porterhouse steak doesn't enable that suspension of disbelief. You have to cut it up off the bone and disperse it among plates to share it with others. My own plate looks like my mom cut up my steak for me.

This is also why I'm not into Brazilian steakhouses. I don't want meat carvers walking around putting portions of different cuts on my plate. I want a big, bone-in steak on my plate that's mine.
My sons are 11 and 9 and both love steak, so a porterhouse allows me to cut them off a little something while I get to devour the rest of it by tearing the meat off the bone caveman-style to not-so-subtly remind them that I’ve still got the biggest dick in the house.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

As long as you get the big piece with the bone in it.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I grill, portion, and serve. There’s no doubt who gets what in my house.

PS - I’m fully expecting that later in life when I go to their homes I’ll be served some overcooked minute steak just as a blatant power move and I’ll have to tip my cap to the boy who has now become The Man.
George Costanza

Post by George Costanza »

Just remember, it's not a lie if you believe it.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Chicat wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:28 pm
Longhorned wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:24 pm I think it's the misplaced but somehow more believable feeling that, yes, this whole t-bone is something I should be allowed to eat all by myself on my own plate. A porterhouse steak doesn't enable that suspension of disbelief. You have to cut it up off the bone and disperse it among plates to share it with others. My own plate looks like my mom cut up my steak for me.

My sons are 11 and 9 and both love steak, so a porterhouse allows me to cut them off a little something while I get to devour the rest of it by tearing the meat off the bone caveman-style to not-so-subtly remind them that I’ve still got the biggest dick in the house.
The Fred flintstone effect is important when you want a bloody piece of meat. Besides, the T-Bone makes a handy weapon if a nearby sabre toothed cat picks up the scent.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

It's true, there's something dinosaury about these cuts.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

-JB
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Carby's! We Have The Wheats!

~ Wilhoit's Law
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Salmon teriyaki with Japanese rice and sautéed Japanese eggplant
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Cheddar spinach turkey meatloaf packed with umami bombs (Worcestershire, soy sauce, mushroom powder, msg), garlic mashed potatoes, purple "green" beans.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Wife had a work event, therefore Whataburger. It was perfect.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

beans and wieners
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

just some red chile pork my dad made in the little dutch oven with some tortillas, very good.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Longhorned wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:32 pm Wife had a work event, therefore Whataburger. It was perfect.
Sounds good, I had to do BK because my daughter doesn't eat red meat and they have the Impossible Whopper.
-JB
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Some traditional millennial avocado toast on homemade bread with a lovely, orangey, sunny side up egg and some Tucson made salsa macha.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

scumdevils86 wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:42 pm Some traditional millennial avocado toast on homemade bread with a lovely, orangey, sunny side up egg and some Tucson made salsa macha.
Are your eggs that what's-it brand from Texas they sell at Whole Foods? I don't know where else to get a proper red yolk.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Chilean sea bass broiled and dressed with homemade unagi sauce, with broccoli sauteed in miso sauce, and Japanese rice. I'm on a kick.

I've been using this online cookbook for years and sometimes I just cook Japanese for days:

https://www.justonecookbook.com/