Jedd Fisch- Traveling Used Car Salesman / Coach For Hire

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Merkin

Re: Jedd Fisch

Post by Merkin »

Fendicent4ever wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:10 pm -Noah Fifita is probably 5'9 165. If hes playing QB as an 18 year old next season, he will suffer the same fate as Willie, Matt Scott, Anu Solomon, and Brandon Dawkins as kids who got wrecked physically (and possibly mentally) with head injuries playing QB here. I just don't see a scenario in him playing that early is a good thing.
Khalil Tate was 17 when he started at the UA. But your point is well taken as Tate decided he didn't want to be Cam Newton and would rather be Peyton Manning, which failed miserably.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Tate was healthy about 3 games while at AZ.
WildcatStunner

Post by WildcatStunner »

Jedd is a heaping pile of trash.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

WildcatStunner wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:19 pm Jedd is a heaping pile of trash.
There is a reason why he is a life long position coach.

Same with the calls to make Ricky Hunley and Chuck Cecil head coach.
AV8RCAT

Post by AV8RCAT »

I though he called a pretty good game against SC. I believe he took on an incredibly shitty situation here, but he is a rookie head coach. I still like what he has done in the off season and I think he is making this team better. They don't quit, and I think he has a chance to field a decent team next year. Plummer looks like he's finally getting it.

Fisch failed to turn the team around this year, but there are some signs of hope for next year.

He's still better than Sumlin

That's all I got
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

AV8RCAT wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:56 am I though he called a pretty good game against SC. I believe he took on an incredibly shitty situation here, but he is a rookie head coach. I still like what he has done in the off season and I think he is making this team better. They don't quit, and I think he has a chance to field a decent team next year. Plummer looks like he's finally getting it.

Fisch failed to turn the team around this year, but there are some signs of hope for next year.

That's all I got
I agree with this. It's kind of amazing that he's able to keep these guys trying so hard.

But dude, losing to NAU? Seems like this might've been attributed to the head coach rookie learning curve.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Well we will definitely have at least one more year (likely 2) of seeing him figure it out. Shrug.
AV8RCAT

Post by AV8RCAT »

Carcassdragger wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:03 am
AV8RCAT wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:56 am I though he called a pretty good game against SC. I believe he took on an incredibly shitty situation here, but he is a rookie head coach. I still like what he has done in the off season and I think he is making this team better. They don't quit, and I think he has a chance to field a decent team next year. Plummer looks like he's finally getting it.

That's all I got
I agree with this. It's kind of amazing that he's able to keep these guys trying so hard.

But dude, losing to NAU? Seems like this might've been attributed to the head coach rookie learning curve.
The problem I have is that I just don't have the football savvy to really tell what's going on.

Was Sumlin's wreckage just so fundamentally unsound that no coach could have improved it, or did Fisch do a bad job? Did he try to install a system that wasn't suited to the players he had?

There is simply no excuse for the NAU game.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

AV8RCAT wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:32 am
Carcassdragger wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:03 am

That's all I got

The problem I have is that I just don't have the football savvy to really tell what's going on.

Was Sumlin's wreckage just so fundamentally unsound that no coach could have improved it, or did Fisch do a bad job? Did he try to install a system that wasn't suited to the players he had?

There is simply no excuse for the NAU game.
I'm with you. I'm just a fan and have no savvy. Wrestling was my sport.

I think that Sumlin may not really have given much of a damn and that the transfer portal hit us bad even the previous year. Schooler was damn good and Fields was just a stud. Our QB had potential. Losing your top two remaining QBs is hard to overcome.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

I think our quarterback situation was just a disaster. Gunnel left and Cruz and Plummer are both kids with potential but they're projects. They weren't kids that were just going to be able to come in and start. The kid from Florida got here late and then out of those three, two got hurt. What I saw last night was a young quarterback finally starting to figure it out and starting to slow the game down a bit. I think Cruz was maybe just starting to when he got hurt. Consider the possibilities next year when all three are healthy and we know they can play and we add the kid from Servite. I do think Fisch could have helped them a bit more but that's just an armchair quarterback's opinion. Most experienced college coaches would give projects a scaled down version of the offense and added to it as they went along. Fisch threw a very complex offense at them all at once. I still like the overall progress this team is making and yea he has been able to keep these kids playing hard and competing even through the losses. That alone is the sign of a good coach.
AV8RCAT

Post by AV8RCAT »

I think that this program is in better shape than it appears, and I believe Fisch can succeed here. Next year, we will start with 3 QB's that have some game experience. I'm sure we will hit the transfer portal hard, but transfers often come with baggage.
Another off season in the system should benefit the whole team, although the offensive line may only benefit from roster turnover.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

While I appreciate the kids playing hard, not sure we've really turned any corner after playing USC. USC seems to be a team built on recruiting rankings, and has no cohesion whatsoever. It's what got Helton fired, and the assistants who took over don't seem to know what they are doing from possession to possession. This same team gave up 42 to Utah and Stanford.

We'll see. It was nice to see Plummer come out and just play. Finally saw the potential I saw from last year come through.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Congrats Jedd… you now have more College victories than me
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

contract extension time!
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Ring of honor considerations
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Also now has more smiles than Dick Tomey, UA legend!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I watched the second half of the game and I was incredibly proud of the players’ effort.

But I still maintain this man cannot coach for shit. He was bailed out by his defensive coordinator and his punter.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Who hired the DC??
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

wyo-cat wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 6:04 pm Who hired the DC??
That would be Fisch.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

wyo-cat wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 6:04 pm Who hired the DC??
What does that have to do with his ability to coach?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

Not a damn thing.
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Hiring the right staff is a big part of coaching.

Let’s just say…DC Marcel Yates.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

wyo-cat wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:16 pm Hiring the right staff is a big part of coaching.

Let’s just say…DC Marcel Yates.
It’s a big part of running a program.

I was obviously talking about in-game decisions.
AV8RCAT

Post by AV8RCAT »

I just can't dissect play calling well enough. I just assume he has a reason for calling the plays he does..
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

AV8RCAT wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:51 pm I just can't dissect play calling well enough. I just assume he has a reason for calling the plays he does..
Here’s what I know…

3rd Quarter - 2:09 left - Score 3-3
First Down: Pass play (holding penalty)
First Down: Pass play (incomplete)
Second Down: Pass play (complete - 6 yard gain)
Third Down: Pass play (interception)

I’m no football genius like Jedd Lasso but why the fuck were we throwing the ball like we were down 2 TDs late in the 4th quarter when our QB had a stitched and bandaged throwing hand?

I think Jedd starts to get ants in his pants on offense and things like game situation and how the other team groups are playing fly out the fucking window.

Nothing he can’t learn to control and something we should be forgiving of since this is his training wheels season, but holy fuck that was frustrating to watch.
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

You would prefer:

Run play 1yd loss
Run play no gain
Run play 3yd gain

The issue is there isn’t a whole lot of options with this offense. The only memorable horrible call I saw yesterday was making the walk-on throw for the only play he was in.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Well we averaged 4.5 yards per rush but even in your scenario, yes, that would be preferable to throwing the ball three times in a row with a QB with stitches in his hand and an o-line doing their best turnstile impersonation. Ostendorp was booming punts and the defense was smacking them in the mouth.

Run the ball and pin them deep if you don’t get a first down. Just put your team in the best position to win. I’m not convinced Jedd knows how to do that yet.
AV8RCAT

Post by AV8RCAT »

DrWildcat wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:09 am You would prefer:

Run play 1yd loss
Run play no gain
Run play 3yd gain

The issue is there isn’t a whole lot of options with this offense. The only memorable horrible call I saw yesterday was making the walk-on throw for the only play he was in.
I figure coaches are calling plays based on what they see and analyze, and any coach knows a hell of a lot more than I do, so I'll leave that "sunday morning coaching" for others who know the game mechanics better.

As for as a pass play for the walk on, it might have been planned and practiced, something of a trick, surprise play, because Cal would be expecting easy mode handoffs. 2 of 3 interceptions yesterday, including that one, were tipped balls, which doesn't necessarily indicate bad execution.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

We could not run the ball most of the day except for Plummer's keepers.

I was less upset at the playcalling versus our line play which was borderline atrocious. They could neither open up any holes between the tackles nor pass protect.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

EastCoastCat wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:49 am We could not run the ball most of the day except for Plummer's keepers.

I was less upset at the playcalling versus our line play which was borderline atrocious. They could neither open up any holes between the tackles nor pass protect.
This..

The play calling was fine. We threw the ball because (we couldn't run other than Plummers scrambling) and Cal was stacking the box.

Throwing the ball was the correct play-calling on that series.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

The previous series we ran the ball 8 times and threw it twice and got a field goal.

On the touchdown drive we ran it 7 times and threw it once.

But throwing it four times on a drive in between was somehow the right call? With a QB with sutures in his throwing hand…

After that drive we went run heavy. Maybe Jedd can learn after all.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Worst call I have seen all season was when they put in the cold walk on QB with no appearances in a 3rd and 6 situation, and had him try and pass the ball. That was just destined for disaster.

Ever notice that 95% of the very first plays of the games are easy hand offs? That's due to all the butterflies the players have at game time.

Fisch didn't think that kid wouldn't have butterflies?

Almost all of coaches would have called an easy handoff situation, and if you have to punt next play so be it.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

EastCoastCat wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:49 am We could not run the ball most of the day except for Plummer's keepers.

Probably a third of yesterday's playcalls were runs up the middle and I can't remember a single one that wasn't immediately sniffed out by Cal's interior DL. The Center and both Guards were beaten up at the snap all afternoon. EXCEPT on that last drive where the fullback got a good 6 yards before, a play or two later, Wiley ran it in for the TD.
Last edited by CatsbyAZ on Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

After two interceptions where we should have got field goals and Plummers nice scramble for a first down at about the 17 in the 3rd quarter I screamed “kick the FG now”.

All the AZ fans near me just nodded their heads…
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Try a fly sweep or some RPO / regular option if you can't run the ball up the middle.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

EastCoastCat wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:22 am After two interceptions where we should have got field goals and Plummers nice scramble for a first down at about the 17 in the 3rd quarter I screamed “kick the FG now”.

Look at yesterday's game thread... we were all saying the same thing!
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Alieberman wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:24 am
EastCoastCat wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:22 am After two interceptions where we should have got field goals and Plummers nice scramble for a first down at about the 17 in the 3rd quarter I screamed “kick the FG now”.

Look at yesterday's game thread... we were all saying the same thing!
Lol. I forgot to check out the game thread because I was having so much fun but I did steal that great line from the discussion thread “is it ok to rush the field if Cal forfeits the game because of Covid?”. That line was a hit.
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

I was thinking Plummer if you even look like you're going to throw a pass I swear I'll go through that TV set and snatch your lungs out.
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

Chicat wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:27 am Well we averaged 4.5 yards per rush but even in your scenario, yes, that would be preferable to throwing the ball three times in a row with a QB with stitches in his hand and an o-line doing their best turnstile impersonation. Ostendorp was booming punts and the defense was smacking them in the mouth.

Run the ball and pin them deep if you don’t get a first down. Just put your team in the best position to win. I’m not convinced Jedd knows how to do that yet.
We are pretty much discussing what shitty option would be the best so this doesn't matter much. But our RBs were sub 3yds a carry. Plummer was the leading rusher by a large margin and those were designed pass plays. The end around worked the few times it was call towards the end of the game but that was it. We don't have the OL, a hurt playing out of position OL at that, to just run the ball and hope for the best IMO.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I don’t see how it’s better with terrible o-line play to pass the ball. At least if you run it you can stop your already hurt QB from taking hits that might put a walk-on in his shoes.

Look, I just don’t think Fisch has put us in the best position to win a game at all this season. Not with his game plan and not with his in-game adjustments. You can try and convince me otherwise by pointing out specific plays or a sequence of plays, but I think the knee jerk reaction is to defend the guy after a win. And I get it, but nothing that I saw or has been said in his defense has convinced me that Jedd knows what he’s doing.
AV8RCAT

Post by AV8RCAT »

Chicat wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 1:34 pm I don’t see how it’s better with terrible o-line play to pass the ball. At least if you run it you can stop your already hurt QB from taking hits that might put a walk-on in his shoes.

Look, I just don’t think Fisch has put us in the best position to win a game at all this season. Not with his game plan and not with his in-game adjustments. You can try and convince me otherwise by pointing out specific plays or a sequence of plays, but I think the knee jerk reaction is to defend the guy after a win. And I get it, but nothing that I saw or has been said in his defense has convinced me that Jedd knows what he’s doing.
I hope he reads this message board for advice. Apparently his decades of experience < your insight.
Lol, I hope to catch a replay, see if I see similar things
Last edited by AV8RCAT on Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AV8RCAT

Post by AV8RCAT »

Merkin wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:03 am Worst call I have seen all season was when they put in the cold walk on QB with no appearances in a 3rd and 6 situation, and had him try and pass the ball. That was just destined for disaster.

Ever notice that 95% of the very first plays of the games are easy hand offs? That's due to all the butterflies the players have at game time.

Almost all of coaches would have called an easy handoff situation, and if you have to punt next play so be it.
There again, do we know that they hadn't been working on a designed play with the walkon and they saw something in game that indicated it was a good time to try it? Special and trick plays get run with players off the bench all the time. He did get the pass off, but it was tipped. I didn't see the game so I don't know what it looked like.
Last edited by AV8RCAT on Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

AV8RCAT wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:20 pm
Merkin wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:03 am Worst call I have seen all season was when they put in the cold walk on QB with no appearances in a 3rd and 6 situation, and had him try and pass the ball. That was just destined for disaster.

There again, do we know that they hadn't been working on a designed play with the walkon and they saw something in game that indicated it was a good time to try it? He did get the pass off but it was tipped. I didn't see the game so I don't know what it looked like.

Have no idea if he had any reps at all in practice with the first team. I imagine Plummer had 75% of the reps, and Joiner the rest. Just an really odd call.

Hopefully he can get some playing time in his career to not have his one NCAA pass attempt being a pick.
AV8RCAT

Post by AV8RCAT »

I'd have to hear Fisch explain what he was thinking, before I believe he didn't have good reason for his play calling.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

AV8RCAT wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:09 pm I hope he reads this message board for advice. Apparently his decades of experience < your insight.
Are only people with head coaching experience allowed to comment on this board? I had no idea.
AV8RCAT

Post by AV8RCAT »

Chicat wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:33 pm
AV8RCAT wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:09 pm I hope he reads this message board for advice. Apparently his decades of experience < your insight.
Are only people with head coaching experience allowed to comment on this board? I had no idea.
Lol, I tried to soften it to more joke-like but was too late.
Neg rep? LOL bit sensitive are we?
Seriously though, I would wonder if there was something the coaches see that we don't, that makes them call plays we don't get. We don't get a lot of play by play explanation from coaches.
AV8RCAT

Post by AV8RCAT »

I was quite the dick during the Tomey years. I just couldn't understand the constant plunges into the middle of the line. Now I know that you're just beating on a wall and when you finally break a hole, it will go for a long way. Nowadays, I just assume they have good reasons for what they do, but maybe I'm naive.
I still don't get the sideline screen that never gains any yardage.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

AV8RCAT wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:36 pmLOL bit sensitive are we?
LOL, I’m not the Boomer complaining about people expressing opinions.
AV8RCAT

Post by AV8RCAT »

Wasn't complaining, just razzin a bit.
I'm right on the cusp and just as often considered a gen Xer, but close enough for age bigotry's sake. (razzin again, relax)
Get off my lawnless property.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Win or not, Jedd Fisch is still an awful offensive coach just like every stop he has ever made. Anyone saying otherwise is just in denial. I do think he could turn this thing around if he give up his play calling duties and gets someone who actually knows what they are doing.