UCLA rivalry

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

pc in NM

Re: UCLA rivalry

Post by pc in NM »

Chicat wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 12:12 pm
pc in NM wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:48 am
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:22 am
TheCat wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:23 pm He is a kid that did an emotional thing. Let him go. We don't need any distractions and the kid needs to be disciplined by his coach/university.
He committed a crime on video in front of 14,000 people. It's not like it happened as part of the game either, like trying to charge someone for a hard foul.

It's gonna be what it's gonna be and our program has no role in it. How UCLA wants to handle him is up to them, but this is about as cut and dried in terms of a criminal case as you get. You don't usually have multiple video angles and thousands of witnesses.
The kid needs to learn that as an athlete in such an environment, there are standars that he needs to comply with - he's a kid, and no reason to expect that he won't learn from a second chance...

IMNSHO, the fan, OTOH, was behaving like an asshole and that should be regarded as below U of A standards!
Are the standards as an athlete somehow lower than the standards as a human being?

And in your mind is it worse to make a rude gesture than to spit on people multiple times? Because if so . . . whew, you have certainly outdone yourself PC. A+ work there my man.
I support both the criminal charge and team consequences for Etienne. I do so because I believe the standards for an athlete are higher than for the fan in such a situation.

However, I do not think his behavior merits dismissal from the team - therefore, a second chance…

And, I only mentioned the fan, because his behavior had been heretofore ignored.

Nothing whatsover that I said implied that the athlete’s behavior was less of an issue than the fan’s.
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

I was curious about the time out at end of game. Maybe a shout out to CSM and a poke place n the eye to Cronin?

I’ve always wondered why those tunnels don’t have some sort of barrier that separate players and fans, not just here, but at every arena.

I don’t like the F you chants from the Zoo either.
It’s one thing if spontaneous but it seems planned. The did it to Hurley also.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Make Etienne shave his head as punishment
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Make him go to ASU
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

I keep reading "second chance". He already had that second chance before the end of the game. It's more like a third chance.
BTW if that fan was doing or saying stuff that wasn't enough to get him or her removed than it's not worth trying blame or even mention. IMO
That LA times article is clown world. :lol:
Mike Luke's burner account.
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

Postmaster wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:15 pm Make Etienne shave his head as punishment
This
Mike Luke's burner account.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

pc in NM wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:10 pm And, I only mentioned the fan, because…
… your continual affectation of righteous indignation wouldn’t allow you not to. Yeah, got it.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Not sure why anyone is surprised by the behavior of a member of a Mick Cronin coached team. His teams have always played thug ball wherever he has been. Anyone remember the Cincinnati-Xavier brawl? If Micks kids had pulled this crap on a street corner instead of a basketball court it would have been assault & battery

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1N49HSUAvY
WildcatStunner

Post by WildcatStunner »

Mark Lyons in the mix!
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

"Zip 'em up!"
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Cronin also likes to go after individual players on the "other" team.

Mark my words, if Cronin stays in the PAC12 long enough and recruits his kind of guys there will be some sort of "incident" between ucla/usc or ucla/az. A zebra can't change his stripes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0X0fIprAGw
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Well it’s finally a rivalry again since we beat them so that’s a really good thing.

No doubt Krissa and Terry like to jaw and never understood why an opposing coach would talk to another player.

Makes things fun though. The Zoo certainly got under their players skin and while I don’t like the vulgarity there is no excuse for spitting on a fan
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
97cats

Post by 97cats »

:shock:
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

dmjcat wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 7:59 pm Cronin also likes to go after individual players on the "other" team.

Mark my words, if Cronin stays in the PAC12 long enough and recruits his kind of guys there will be some sort of "incident" between ucla/usc or ucla/az. A zebra can't change his stripes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0X0fIprAGw
This happened last night and I'm pretty sure it led Tommy Lloyd to call a time out for no reason with a minute left in the game...it was kinda of Lloyds message that "players are not the only thing Sean Miller left us, he also left a little bit of FUCK YOU when you mess with us" and I just dished you a reminder of that.

Listened to Brian Jeffries this morning 1st hour and he related that Lloyd and Cronin got into a bit of a shouting match that the TV audience did not get a hint of but it happened right in front of him:

Apparently after the Tyger/Pelle situation Daylen Terry started to sprint to the UA bench while the refs were sorting things out (which is why we never saw this everything was focused on refs/tyger/pelle) at any rate Dalen was looking back towards Pelle and accidently bumped Cronin and Cronin started yelling at him calling at him, and Brian Jeffries said he has never seen Lloyd so HOT, he said Lloyd WENT OFF on Cronin yelling that he was NOT to be talking to Tommys players...it was apparently pretty heated between them for a few minutes...Jeffries said Lloyd was furious...

So that end of the game time out???

That was a message.

And Tommy just went up another notch on my COY vote...he is definitely a nice and respectful guy, but its pretty clear to me he is no push-over and those are HIS players and he will go to bat for them.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

i appreciate that post, CatFanOneMil very much...there was a bit of a mention of it but they said the camera didnt capture the exchange. Cronin was out of control when i was at the game at UCLA. my daughter kept saying how animated he was. and as mentioned already in this thread, he has a bit of a prickly edge to him. his teams at Cincinnati where tough and sometimes even too tough, that starts at the top.

the timeout by the way was one of the best moves ive seen Lloyd make all season - proves again he has some balls, taking up for his players.

awesome
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I didn’t pay attention to Cronin cause my seats were about 15 rows from the floor and I could barely see him.

(Sorry to other short posters here)
Last edited by Olsondogg on Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I distinctly remember one of Millers pressers in his first year here where he basically said Cronin was always a whiny bitch after a loss.

Some things never change.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Cronin’s a thug, and he probably bought Etienne a beer when they get to Tempe.

I actually think it’s better for us, long term, to have Cronin at ucla because I think Lloyd will outrecruit and outperform him once he’s had a couple years to really get his footing in Tucson. If Cronin leaves for Louisville (possible but unlikely), I could see ucla trying (again) to lure a big name, not getting one, and ending up with Underwood or Pope or Moser.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Beachcat97 wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:16 pm Cronin’s a thug, and he probably bought Etienne a beer when they get to Tempe.

I actually think it’s better for us, long term, to have Cronin at ucla because I think Lloyd will outrecruit and outperform him once he’s had a couple years to really get his footing in Tucson. If Cronin leaves for Louisville (possible but unlikely), I could see ucla trying (again) to lure a big name, not getting one, and ending up with Underwood or Pope or Moser.
I always knew you were one of us RC97! Most people want a Final Four coach to get the hell of town, but I'm glad you are back on team Bruin and want him to stay!
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

McCretin, a pugnacious miscreant.

~ Wilhoit's Law
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

azcat49 wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 8:07 pm Well it’s finally a rivalry again since we beat them so that’s a really good thing.

No doubt Krissa and Terry like to jaw and never understood why an opposing coach would talk to another player.

Makes things fun though. The Zoo certainly got under their players skin and while I don’t like the vulgarity there is no excuse for spitting on [strike]a fan[/strike] anybody, anywhere, anytime, for any reason.
FIFY
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

I think we will see a few transfers from UCLA because of the way Cronin talks to and about his players. Watch and see what Payton does at y/e if he doesn't go to the league. Transfers happen but putting up with that guy might get old for players born after 1950.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Hadn't seen this posted yet. Pic of Bruin fans' tears Thursday night.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I don’t think that’s tears… Pretty sure it is spit
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Alieberman wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:49 am I don’t think that’s tears… Pretty sure it is spit
Excellent point.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Man they know how to waste water in LA.

I thought we were bad up here!

Look at the bright side, maybe all those fans can go water their yards with their tears, or flush their toilets.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

That was from 2014.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

azgreg wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 12:29 pm That was from 2014.
True, but with all of that spitting they do, could it look all that different after a game or practice?
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

azgreg wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 12:29 pm That was from 2014.
RC97 is trying to be edgy. Give him this as it was better than most of his posts :lol:
Last edited by MrBug708 on Sat Feb 05, 2022 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

TheCat wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 9:09 am I think we will see a few transfers from UCLA because of the way Cronin talks to and about his players. Watch and see what Payton does at y/e if he doesn't go to the league. Transfers happen but putting up with that guy might get old for players born after 1950.
Do you have reports of players unhappy with Cronin? We have bench guys coming back, like Nwuba and Kyman. Just curious to see if there is something to this? Or is this more along the lines of "Myles Johnson isn't coming to UCLA" speculation? This past offseason would have been a perfect time for the younger kids to transfer. The whole starting lineup was coming back. Everyone has another year of eligibility, due to the COVID rules. Tyger has two more years after this year. Peyton Watson could transfer, but the things he needs to learn, can be taught. I think you'll see him declare before he transfers. Not sure I get the direction of the 1950's comment, I'm assuming language based?
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Myles Johnson went to UCLA. His play is just what you hoped for. LOL. No 1950 has to do with how he treats and relates to players. You are probably right Watson will declare since he is still shown as a first rounder but god knows why. Tyger will be back because where does he realistically have to go? Spain?
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Treats/relates? Again, is there something there that you know about that the rest of the world doesn't? His players seem to want to run through a brick wall for him, but maybe I follow them too closely? I'm just trying to find out if your info is just RC97 trollish behavior? Or is there some evidence you can point to?

Watson is a first round talent because he can always work on his shot. He can't learn his athleticism and defensive abilities.

I would love Tyger back for two more years! But there is good money playing professionally, guys should get paid. Whether here or Europe. No shame in that.

Maybe we should take this to the Arch rivals thread again but you bailed after your flops of predictions.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

MrBug708 wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 6:39 pm Treats/relates? Again, is there something there that you know about that the rest of the world doesn't? His players seem to want to run through a brick wall for him, but maybe I follow them too closely? I'm just trying to find out if your info is just RC97 trollish behavior? Or is there some evidence you can point to?
I'll give ya this much Bug, if he were my coach I'd love his punk ass. He's a worthy adversary, cunning and inspiring. As an opponent I get to try to run him down and make him my bitch. If he were anything less I wouldn't bother. And btw I applaud your presence here, dicey at it is. You're obviously sufficiently nuanced to split the baby and survive this crew, and that ain't nuthin'.

~ Wilhoit's Law
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 6:46 pm
MrBug708 wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 6:39 pm Treats/relates? Again, is there something there that you know about that the rest of the world doesn't? His players seem to want to run through a brick wall for him, but maybe I follow them too closely? I'm just trying to find out if your info is just RC97 trollish behavior? Or is there some evidence you can point to?
You're obviously sufficiently nuanced to split the baby and survive this crew, and that ain't nuthin'.
Think he’s just a masochist.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Beachcat97 wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 6:54 pm
dovecanyoncat wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 6:46 pm
You're obviously sufficiently nuanced to split the baby and survive this crew, and that ain't nuthin'.
Think he’s just a masochist.
Probably. But show me a true Cat fan who ain't.

~ Wilhoit's Law
Bordercat

Post by Bordercat »

what I would use against Cronin is that his offense lacks creativity and is heavily reliant on iso. Of course I guess the big talents may want that. But AZ style of play has been an absolute joy to watch this year. I have to think that recruits would be lining up to come play for Lloyd.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

What I would say about Cronin is that.......

He should pay attention, he's down 10 to the gerbils!!!!!!
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Bordercat wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 7:18 pm what I would use against Cronin is that his offense lacks creativity and is heavily reliant on iso. Of course I guess the big talents may want that. But AZ style of play has been an absolute joy to watch this year. I have to think that recruits would be lining up to come play for Lloyd.
The issue with this team is we are one of the most unathletic teams in the conference. Mick has done a good job with the talent he has, but it's not an ideal roster for what he wants to do. Watson has the athleticism in spades, but can't shoot.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Don't worry you are playing the team with the lowest Bball IQ in the conference. UCLA will win this easy.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

ASU.....lol.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Well that UCLA play with 1.4 sec was ASU level
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Man I love when ucla loses. It’s a ray of sunshine every damn time.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Watson is a first round talent because he can always work on his shot. He can't learn his athleticism and defensive abilities.

I would love Tyger back for two more years! But there is good money playing professionally, guys should get paid. Whether here or Europe. No shame in that.

Maybe we should take this to the Arch rivals thread again but you bailed after your flops of predictions.
Maybe you missed him going off on Tyger who barked back or the pass Jamie made out of bounds with 1.4 seconds left against ASU. Or the news conference where he said he would get better players. OKAY Mick. Players don't like to be humiliated for a mistake in public.
I stay away from the UCLA thread on arch rivals so I don't have to ever deal with you. Since you previously stayed there I thought it was a small sacrifice/gesture. I also find your worry about neg rep to be a bit childish unless you have a bet or something.
Cronin blamed the Arizona loss because his guards only got two tips/deflections. Guess he takes no responsibility for the teams performance or how they looked totally unprepared for the defensive lineup at the end of the game. If players run thru walls for him I guess they missed the wall 10 times last year including four in a row right before the tourney. Congrats on your tourney run. I'm always happy when the conference shows well.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

I don't even understand most of that word salad. But if you don't want to venture into the arch-rivals thread because I was harping on your missed picks and call outs on me, I can leave you to be here, that's a fair request. I don't want to be the reason you don't post in a certain area, so I'll leave you to your speculations about UCLA.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Next year when the bRuins come to McKale, the Zoo needs to wear raincoats.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

MrBug708 wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:30 am I don't even understand most of that word salad. But if you don't want to venture into the arch-rivals thread because I was harping on your missed picks and call outs on me, I can leave you to be here, that's a fair request. I don't want to be the reason you don't post in a certain area, so I'll leave you to your speculations about UCLA.
Of course you don't understand the word salad. Maybe you missed all those things I referenced including the 10 losses last year by a team that would run through a wall. Or maybe you missed the ASU game. Go back to arch rivals. It is where you belong.
What I know is this conference championship is not over and it will be interesting to see what lies ahead. Next week will be one of our defining weeks and we still have to play USC again and OR and quite frankly ASU our rival where anything can happen.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

What’s being said about Cronin could easily be said about Miller, and an overwhelming majority of players under Miller loved him.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Lute also called out players by name post game.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Cronin always gets his players to play hard for him. It’s one of his least attractive qualities in my opinion.