Official Bracketology Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Longhorned

Re: Official Bracketology Thread

Post by Longhorned »

Chicat wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 8:40 am
UAEebs86 wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 8:24 am I hope the fans of the other top teams are saying "I don't want Arizona in our bracket."
I’ve heard that from an Illinois fan, a Wisconsin fan, an Iowa State fan, and a Duke fan.

It feels great.
Can you imagine watching Arizona as a fan of a different program? They're fucking scary. They're scary as a team, and on top of that, Mathurin, Tubelis, Koloko, and Ballo individually are all fucking scary. Then there's the Swiss Army Knife in Terry, Larsson as That Guy, and Kriisa as the biggest asshole you've ever seen in your life.

Even fans who have never watched this team, and cleverly rationalize every piece of it on paper, can't help themselves looking down the barrel of that 31-3 record.

Arizona is literally the last team anyone wants to see in the tourney.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

CalStateTempe wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 9:02 am Any slim chances the zags get shipped since we are so bad ass? I was hoping to see the cats in SF
I doubt it. I think Kerr's injury will keep them from even considering us at the overall #1 seed.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Yeah, I figured as much. Crystal slipper zags.

A zags, cats NC matchup would be one for the books!
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

If Kansas and Baylor get the last 2 spots I saw it will be the first time the FF had all 4 teams west of the Mississippi.

Fuck east coast bias (coming from someone who lives on the east coast).
ZagCatFan

Post by ZagCatFan »

CalStateTempe wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 9:02 am Any slim chances the zags get shipped since we are so bad ass? I was hoping to see the cats in SF
Some Zags fans have brought this point up….with win over UCLA Cats might get overall #1.
Last edited by ZagCatFan on Sun Mar 13, 2022 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I wouldn’t say there’s no chance. I put the odds at 5-1 right now.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

West plays East in FF right?

So no matter what we will be on opposite side of bracket from Zags?
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

#3 most accurate bracket maker (and past champion) in bracket matrix

Latest update from today

ZagCatFan

Post by ZagCatFan »

Alieberman wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 9:20 am West plays East in FF right?

So no matter what we will be on opposite side of bracket from Zags?
Correct.

Cat Nation travels so well…doubt it matters between San Francisco or San Antonio for second weekend
prh

Post by prh »

UConn is in play too, could conceivably get Duke, Wisconsin, Illinois, UConn
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

prh wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 9:31 am UConn is in play too, could conceivably get Duke, Wisconsin, Illinois, UConn
Would love to beat those 4 teams on the way to a title
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
RaisingArizona

Post by RaisingArizona »

RondaeShimmy wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 9:27 am #3 most accurate bracket maker (and past champion) in bracket matrix

Latest update from today

No Memphis in round 2 please.
CatFan1399

Post by CatFan1399 »

RondaeShimmy wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 9:27 am #3 most accurate bracket maker (and past champion) in bracket matrix

Latest update from today

That bracket would scare the hell out of me! I want nothing to do with Illinois or Texas Tech. Only way that could be worse for me is if Kentucky was the 2 seed.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

prh wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 9:31 am UConn is in play too, could conceivably get Duke, Wisconsin, Illinois, UConn
Okay, UConn is the only one I don't want. The basketball gods kill off every high seed before UConn faces them.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

On CBS Sports, it looks like the only thing close to a debate isn't whether Arizona passes Gonzaga for the overall #1. Instead, it's whether Kansas passes Arizona for the overall #2.
Chip Patterson wrote:There's no question about the No. 1 overall seed with Gonzaga's sterling profile, but there is some worthy debate regarding the order of the rest. I've got Kansas as the next No. 1 thanks to the Jayhawks' 12 Quadrant 1 wins compared to Arizona's six (and a better winning percentage in Q1 as well). But Tommy Lloyd's Wildcats, carrying zero losses outside of the first quadrant, should check in just behind Kansas, especially after winning the Pac-12 tourney.
https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... nday-show/
Last edited by Longhorned on Sun Mar 13, 2022 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
RaisingArizona

Post by RaisingArizona »

CatFan1399 wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 9:48 am

Latest update from today

That bracket would scare the hell out of me! I want nothing to do with Illinois or Texas Tech. Only way that could be worse for me is if Kentucky was the 2 seed.

I don't get it with Texas Tech. They play hard and play great defense but that's not a particularly talented team IMO.

Illinois I can see I guess. When they're on from the outside they are tough but I'm confident we'd beat either of those teams. I'm mostly focused on the 8/9s in the hope that we can rest Kerr a great deal
Last edited by RaisingArizona on Sun Mar 13, 2022 10:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
prh

Post by prh »

Longhorned wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 9:57 am On CBS Sports, it looks like the only thing close to a debate isn't whether Arizona passes Gonzaga for the overall #1. Instead, it's whether Kansas passes Arizona for the overall #2.
Chip Patterson wrote:There's no question about the No. 1 overall seed with Gonzaga's sterling profile, but there is some worthy debate regarding the order of the rest. I've got Kansas as the next No. 1 thanks to the Jayhawks' 12 Quadrant 1 wins compared to Arizona's six (and a better winning percentage in Q1 as well). But Tommy Lloyd's Wildcats, carrying zero losses outside of the first quadrant, should check in just behind Kansas, especially after winning the Pac-12 tourney.
Stupid, very stupid. But also pointless. Doesn't matter because either way the destinations are the same.
RaisingArizona

Post by RaisingArizona »

Kansas is a Paper Tiger IMO
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

prh wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 10:00 am
Longhorned wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 9:57 am On CBS Sports, it looks like the only thing close to a debate isn't whether Arizona passes Gonzaga for the overall #1. Instead, it's whether Kansas passes Arizona for the overall #2.
Stupid, very stupid. But also pointless. Doesn't matter because either way the destinations are the same.
Yeah but he gets that little pot shot it. You know, Arizona deserves a 3-seed because they won their little conference tourney.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Weird that there’s no mention of the fact that Kansas has twice as many losses. Guess he had a point to make and facts don’t matter.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

4/5 picked Arizona as the #2 overall seed behind Gonzaga, who cares what one outlier thinks.
Last edited by RondaeShimmy on Sun Mar 13, 2022 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
RaisingArizona

Post by RaisingArizona »

They really need to add last ten back into consideration and weight it heavily. Given the high degree of player movement, weighting the non-conference like they currently are is somewhat nonsensical. For instance Iowa State making the tournament despite going 8-12 in their last 20 is stupid.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I just wanna see us make Seth Davis' "Next Four Out" this morning. Feel like that would be a major win, given where we were picked to finish.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Many of those Kansas losses were technical wins.

Signed,
enfuego
-JB
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Latest update from today

I personally love the bracket and think seeds 2-6 are all likely upsets
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

For the 1st time all season on the bracket matrix- We have a score of 1.00... meaning every single major bracket predicting service has as as a #1 (Zags are the only other 1.00)

http://www.bracketmatrix.com/

Guessing dmjcat does not have his bracket registered with bracketmatrix
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Alieberman wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 10:23 am For the 1st time all season on the bracket matrix- We have a score of 1.00... meaning every single major bracket predicting service has as as a #1 (Zags are the only other 1.00)

http://www.bracketmatrix.com/
And it only took a 31-3 record, 15-3 Quad 1 wins, no other quad losses, regular season championships, and a PAC tourney championship to get there.

:roll:
RaisingArizona

Post by RaisingArizona »

RondaeShimmy wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 10:20 am

Latest update from today

I personally love the bracket and think seeds 2-6 are all likely upsets
Agreed. Except for a talented Memphis team that's been really good since losing Emoni Bates.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

If we'd beaten Tennessee, we'd probably be the #1 overall seed today. Avoiding that Colorado loss might've had the same effect.

I don't really care, though. Just gimme that #1 in the South, and let's get to work.
Captain Obvious

Post by Captain Obvious »

I'm not really too concerned about who ends up in our region because we have an excellent adjustment coach that welcomes input from his assistants and players. I wouldn't have the same confidence with a round peg/square hole coach like Miller was. The whole my way or no way inflexible style of coaching just boils my blood. So much of the tournament is persevering in games where opponents force you to do things you aren't comfortable doing. CTL has demonstrated how masterful he is at this. Ride the storm out. Do your thing. Win.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Memphis, North Carolina or Murray St just worry me in the 8/9 line for our second game.

Hate when the committee puts this ultra talented teams below seed to liven up that second round and grind out some upsets. All those Mickey D’s and top guys on NC or Memphis can be a real issue
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

azcat49 wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 11:28 am Memphis, North Carolina or Murray St just worry me in the 8/9 line for our second game.

Hate when the committee puts this ultra talented teams below seed to liven up that second round and grind out some upsets. All those Mickey D’s and top guys on NC or Memphis can be a real issue
I think every 8/9 seed are scary for every single #1 seed. Not just those 3. All of them have shown, or already done it, the ability to beat top teams.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

I’m not worried or scared until this team proves me otherwise.
RaisingArizona

Post by RaisingArizona »

Memphis, UNC and the Ohio State are the three I'd prefer to avoid in round two. Would rather wait till the second week to play teams with multiple NBA guys. Memphis is by far the hottest of those three and have been playing at a top 20ish efficiency level on both offense and defense since Bates stopped playing.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

8/9 seeds have 1 day to prepare for us

I like our chances
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Just finished watching Tennessee easily beat A&M. The Vols are a title contender, imo. They've got size, experience and a chip on their shoulder. I'd love a rematch.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Richmond winning just stole a spot.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Duke should fall to a 3 seed
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Alieberman wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 12:33 pm Duke should fall to a 3 seed
Definitely think that's going to happen

Auburn, Kentucky, Villanova and Tennessee deserve the #2 seeds
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

RondaeShimmy wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 12:38 pm

Which probably means it won't happen.
-JB
RaisingArizona

Post by RaisingArizona »

Beachcat97 wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 12:11 pm Just finished watching Tennessee easily beat A&M. The Vols are a title contender, imo. They've got size, experience and a chip on their shoulder. I'd love a rematch.
Nah. They're a great defensive team and they've played really well for two months but they don't have enough dudes IMO. Final four is possible but I'd expect them to lose to a hot offensive team by the second weekend. We shall see I guess.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

RondaeShimmy wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 12:38 pm

They are not as good a team away from home. I know they just won the sec tournament would disprove that, but the whole sec teams aren't very good away from home as well.

Kentucky has the best one blowing out Kansas at Kansas.
RaisingArizona

Post by RaisingArizona »

I would love, love, love Tennessee to be our 2 seed.
prh

Post by prh »

Not worried about Tennessee at all. Lost by 2, on the road, ridiculous foul disparity, and Ballo was not a rotation guy back then. Probably the worst half of basketball we could have possibly played and I don't see that occurring again
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

RaisingArizona wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 12:42 pm
Beachcat97 wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 12:11 pm Just finished watching Tennessee easily beat A&M. The Vols are a title contender, imo. They've got size, experience and a chip on their shoulder. I'd love a rematch.
Nah. They're a great defensive team and they've played really well for two months but they don't have enough dudes IMO. Final four is possible but I'd expect them to lose to a hot offensive team by the second weekend. We shall see I guess.
I also think Rick Barnes is a heck of a coach. Man did ucla blow out by not paying his buyout. They could've had Barnes instead of Micro Mick.

The SEC was arguably the best league in the country this year. Kentucky, Auburn, Tennessee...any of those teams could get to the FF. Arkansas, Alabama and A&M are also all solid. I'm always inclined to expect more from teams who did well in tough conferences. This is also why I don't expect shit from Duke.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

My Top 16:

Gonzaga
Arizona
Kansas
Baylor

Kentucky
Auburn
Tennessee
Purdue (If they win today)

Villanova
Duke
Texas Tech
UCLA

Wisconsin
Illinois
Arkansas
Houston
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Is today like teenager Christmas where you know what your parents are gonna get you and it’s just are you getting name or last years edition?

Like stoaked to open the present even if we know what we are getting
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

CalStateTempe wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 1:39 pm Is today like teenager Christmas where you know what your parents are gonna get you and it’s just are you getting name or last years edition?

Like stoaked to open the present even if we know what we are getting
Seeing AZ revealed as a #1 never gets old or less exciting.

We earned this 1
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Alieberman wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 1:36 pm My Top 16:

Gonzaga
Arizona
Kansas
Baylor

Kentucky
Auburn
Tennessee
Purdue (If they win today)

Villanova
Duke
Texas Tech
UCLA

Wisconsin
Illinois
Arkansas
Houston
I'd put Wisconsin ahead of ucla, but otherwise, this looks good, Alie.