Ąžuolas Tubelis

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

U.P. Zona Fan

Re: Ąžuolas Tubelis

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

I expect the CR and CH to be gone, every one else with eligibility is back except maybe Bal who could hit the portal, even if we win the natty!

That is my prediction.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
arizonawildcats

Post by arizonawildcats »

The Final Four is in Phoenix next season. Another reason for everyone to stay put.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Pac 12 Player of the Year Ąžuolas Tubelis had another gem yesterday:

9-12 FG, 2-2 FTs, 8 boards, 4 assists, 2 steals - 20 points

Pac POY runner-up J Jaquez yesterday:

5-11 FG, 5-7 FTs, 9 boards, 2 assists, 1 steal - 16 points

Jaquez might play for the league's best team, but in terms of production, efficiency, and consistency, Tubelis was clearly better, and he's reminding us of this in Vegas.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Beachcat97 wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:37 pm Pac 12 Player of the Year Ąžuolas Tubelis had another gem yesterday:

9-12 FG, 2-2 FTs, 8 boards, 4 assists, 2 steals - 20 points

Pac POY runner-up J Jaquez yesterday:

5-11 FG, 5-7 FTs, 9 boards, 2 assists, 1 steal - 16 points

Jaquez might play for the league's best team, but in terms of production, efficiency, and consistency, Tubelis was clearly better, and he's reminding us of this in Vegas.
Also, Zu plays for a team whose coach doesn't sing in a trio and wear short trousers.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

U.P. Zona Fan wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 6:06 pm I expect the CR and CH to be gone, every one else with eligibility is back except maybe Bal who could hit the portal, even if we win the natty!

That is my prediction.
I agree about Bal. He is not progressing here and needs to find a different situation especially with the development of Boswell. Also don't know about Filip either, since he only gets walk-on minutes. But expect Ramey and Henderson to continue their careers overseas.

Foreign players cannot get paid for work according to their student visas, but there are workarounds, so Zu could be encouraged to stay. I haven't heard any rumblings one way or the other, but he will be 21 this month and the clock is ticking. Average Euro salary is $400K-$800K per season, Jim Click get on it!

I haven't seen an NBA game since Luke was a rotation player for the Lakers, but apparently Zu isn't athletic enough to cover any 4s in the league, so back to Europe is probably in his future. Especially with no outside game. But then again Luke Walton was not that athletic either, and Steve Kerr had to be the most unathletic NBA player I have seen. But no doubt the game has changed since then.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Pac 12 Player of the Year Ąžuolas Tubelis had another gem tonight:

8-11 FGs, 9 rebounds, 3 assists - 17 points

The fake winner of the award isn’t even the best player on his own team this time of year.
arizonawildcats

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

That’s before my time!!

Any old timers out there know Bill Warner??
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

52 years ago. I doubt I even knew about the Arizona Wildcats then, being I grew up in Michigan. Was a huge Magic Johnson fan, but that was late 70's. Hated Larry Bird even then and never did stop, especially when the Celtics beat the Pistons on an errant pass under the basket.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Too early for me too. I was watching Bill, Wilkes, Bibby and Greg Lee in Westwood at that time.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

I moved to Tucson in ‘71, from Toledo. Became interested in the Cats when Freddy The Fox was hired, and McKale Center opened!!
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

pc in NM wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 6:17 pm I moved to Tucson in ‘71, from Toledo. Became interested in the Cats when Freddy The Fox was hired, and McKale Center opened!!
Same, moved to Tucson the summer of 72.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

67 here.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Tubelis, 1st team all American.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Deserved Tournament MOP
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

MrBug708 wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:35 pm Deserved Tournament MOP
Unmm…. no shit
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I thought his MOP trophy was kind of like this whole conference right now, underwhelming. He definitely deserved it though. Good for him.

I saw Bull Warner play in Bear Down gym for Bruce Larson. Played the 3 and was a good shooter. I remember him and Jim Huckstein
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

agree that the MOP was well-earned. not to nitpick, but a puzzling thing from last night's game was zu's decision to put up a 3 with 20something seconds left on the clock and the game on the line. i haven't seen the replay but iirc ballo was open in the paint and ramey was also asking for the ball at the top of the arc. fortunately everything worked out, but i would expect better decision-making from a high bball iq upperclassman like tubelis in that situation. just as puzzling was how chill CTL was about zu taking that shot. miller would've had smoke coming out from his ears whether or not we won the game. big contrast in styles.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Pac 12 Player of the Year Ąžuolas Tubelis was again terrific last night, for the third game in a row, en route to being named Pac tourney MOP:

19 pts, 14 rebounds

The fake winner of the award put up 13 points on 5-18 shooting.

It's interesting how the best players step up when it matters most.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Last 3 Zu made was January 12th.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

dirtbags wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:39 pm agree that the MOP was well-earned. not to nitpick, but a puzzling thing from last night's game was zu's decision to put up a 3 with 20something seconds left on the clock and the game on the line. i haven't seen the replay but iirc ballo was open in the paint and ramey was also asking for the ball at the top of the arc. fortunately everything worked out, but i would expect better decision-making from a high bball iq upperclassman like tubelis in that situation. just as puzzling was how chill CTL was about zu taking that shot. miller would've had smoke coming out from his ears whether or not we won the game. big contrast in styles.
Maybe an unpopular opinion, but I prefer Lloyd's style.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Beachcat97 wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 1:07 pm
dirtbags wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:39 pm agree that the MOP was well-earned. not to nitpick, but a puzzling thing from last night's game was zu's decision to put up a 3 with 20something seconds left on the clock and the game on the line. i haven't seen the replay but iirc ballo was open in the paint and ramey was also asking for the ball at the top of the arc. fortunately everything worked out, but i would expect better decision-making from a high bball iq upperclassman like tubelis in that situation. just as puzzling was how chill CTL was about zu taking that shot. miller would've had smoke coming out from his ears whether or not we won the game. big contrast in styles.
Maybe an unpopular opinion, but I prefer Lloyd's style.
Sean looked pretty calm in his team's loss to Marquette. He may have entered a new personal phase.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Lloyd gets pretty intense on the sidelines, especially yesterday towards Pelle after a bonehead play. Nothing like Miller getting on Zeus though.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Merkin wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 1:31 pm Lloyd gets pretty intense on the sidelines, especially yesterday towards Pelle after a bonehead play. Nothing like Miller getting on Zeus though.
I like that Tommy has a vulgar side. It exemplifies a hard edge needed for big boy basketball. But he keeps it to "BTFD" which is fairly restrained and purposefully tactical. Miller giving Zeus the "motherfucker" routine full frontal in the face of the universe is priceless, however. They say vulgarity is a sign of intelligence. I'm fucking down with that.

~ Wilhoit's Law
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

that contrast was also evident with cronin getting on etienne's case, i think when he fouled out of the game. espn panned away from that quickly, haha.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Sorry but he’s not the guy to go to when you need a bucket to save your season.

Feel bad for the kid because he’s so talented.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

He has some of the best skills, footwork and hands I have seen in a UA big. Just lacks something, not sure what, outside of athleticism anyway.

Oh, and unable to use his right hand. 2 straight shots from 2 feet away from the right hand side barely touched rim.
ZagCatFan

Post by ZagCatFan »

EastCoastCat wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 3:31 pm Sorry but he’s not the guy to go to when you need a bucket to save your season.

Who should he have gone to TODAY?
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Merkin wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 3:47 pm He has some of the best skills, footwork and hands I have seen in a UA big. Just lacks something, not sure what, outside of athleticism anyway.

Oh, and unable to use his right hand. 2 straight shots from 2 feet away from the right hand side barely touched rim.
Doesn't have the dawg in him, he looked timid after the first 5 mins or so

Not to mention he's a cone on defense
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

RondaeShimmy wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 3:53 pm
Merkin wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 3:47 pm He has some of the best skills, footwork and hands I have seen in a UA big. Just lacks something, not sure what, outside of athleticism anyway.

Doesn't have the dawg in him, he looked timid after the first 5 mins or so

Not to mention he's a cone on defense
Good incentive to come back next year.

Get someone to step on his head like Budinger, which finally got him going.

EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

ZagCatFan wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 3:49 pm
EastCoastCat wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 3:31 pm Sorry but he’s not the guy to go to when you need a bucket to save your season.

That’s a different question/problem. Nobody today was was really stepping up. Everyone looked scared quite frankly.

The guards were horrendous. I wish we would have tried Boswell. He actually hit a couple of outside shots.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

EastCoastCat wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:23 pm
ZagCatFan wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 3:49 pm

That’s a different question/problem. Nobody today was was really stepping up. Everyone looked scared quite frankly.

The guards were horrendous. I wish we would have tried Boswell. He actually hit a couple of outside shots.
Just a reminder, in the championship game vs UCLA, Arizona was 3-15 from three with five minutes left - talk about the liklihood of "tired legs" being a factor!!! - then went 3-5 in those final 5 minutes.

Shooters are shooters; they don't, and shouldn't, have a "conscience", and the way to win under pressure to to effectively run your USUAL offense!!

Arizona didn't even try to run its "normal offense" in the last five minutes vs Princeton - instead they looked like a bad stretch of CSM offense, dribbling too much, and trying to create their own shots...

In fact, Zu would have been a great choice if we had been running Arizona's offense!
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

I’m curious about the odds of Zu returning to Arizona next year. He had an awesome season, and second team AA is a high honor! His return would be great news for us!!

Yet, he’s currently projected as a second rounder. What more can he improve upon that would make him a certain first round draft prospect? Three-point shooting and defensive skills for sure, but the trajectory of growth he’s already shown might make going pro this year a good time to go.

Failure to significantly improve next year in college could actually hurt his prospects for the NBA. I think he’s already a very good pro prospect in Europe.

― Kinky Friedman
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Not exactly reassuring he will be back.

https://www.azdesertswarm.com/basketbal ... Ib52A-r_yM

“My thoughts right now are just to get better,” Tubelis said when asked about his future after the Princeton loss. “Take some time off and get back into the gym. I have no idea what I’m gonna play, I have no idea where I’m going to play or what to do. We just lost a tough game, so you can’t really expect an answer right now.”
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Nothing to prove in college except leading a team deep in the tourney. He can work on his outside touch getting paid in a pro league somewhere and I just doubt he ever will be a plus defender so might as well go. If he stays though that would be fun for us
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I wouldn't be surprised to see him and Kriisa walk.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azgreg wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:50 am I wouldn't be surprised to see him and Kriisa walk.
Same, especially with so much speculation Kriisa is heading to the bench.

Neither are really getting any better next season and both being around 21 might want to start getting paid. Larsson seems to have so much more potential than either of those two. Look for him to excel with the Swedish National Team.

I wish them both the best if they leave, but probably won't miss them. Need to start rebuilding with Lloyd's players.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Did you watch the press conference after we lost? I wouldn't read anything into it. The question was asked right after they lost and he didn't feel like answering the question which who would. It will be interesting to see what all our Euro guys do. None are really looking like they will be drafted and they could do well going the Euro route. Time will tell
Dave

Post by Dave »

You guys have been scarred from the Miller roster turnover era.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Dave wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:10 pm You guys have been scarred from the Miller roster turnover era.
Truth. And here I was glad to have multi-year players since I hate trying to memorize all the new players' numbers.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Merkin wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:39 am Not exactly reassuring he will be back.

“My thoughts right now are just to get better,” Tubelis said when asked about his future after the Princeton loss. “Take some time off and get back into the gym. I have no idea what I’m gonna play, I have no idea where I’m going to play or what to do. We just lost a tough game, so you can’t really expect an answer right now.”
He gone.
arizonawildcats

Beachcat97 wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:06 pm
Merkin wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:39 am Not exactly reassuring he will be back.

He gone.
You're reading way too much into it. His last sentence says it all.

GlobalCat

Post by GlobalCat »

Getting a 2nd Team All American PF to return for his senior year would be bad ass. Fingers crossed he decides to go all-in.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Anyone from the current team who returns I will embrace with open arms. They are all great players and bleed red and blue. We need to add some players that fill some of our deficiencies we had as a team this year and have a deeper bench. Zu is target #1 for sure
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

84Cat wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:44 pm Anyone from the current team who returns I will embrace with open arms. They are all great players and bleed red and blue. We need to add some players that fill some of our deficiencies we had as a team this year and have a deeper bench. Zu is target #1 for sure
Thank you. Well said.

if AT comes back this is a top 5 team. Would be huge for him to come back. Hopefully if it is money the collectives can help out.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
arizonawildcats

CTL has to start landing these HS/international targets. We're probably not upgrading from the portal. Best case scenario is everyone returns and we make another run at it. Hopefully they focus on improving in the offseason as Zu was saying.