Let's talk '23

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

PHXCATS

Re: Let's talk '23

Post by PHXCATS »

Merkin wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 7:04 pm
PHXCATS wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 6:40 pm No his post was incredibly bad. Yeah he can improve in some areas but he is an amazing offensive player as is right now. Scary to think how much better he can but but as of today he is an incredible game changer

And Merk is so obsessed
2. Who is the one poster here who posts tweets regarding players leaving over fan behavior with no evidence to back it?

1. Can't guard anyone athletic, can't use his right hand, can't make an outside shot, but runs the court well, has an awesome left hand, and has great fundamentals.
Kerr said it on his podcast....Hello McFly
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

Now if the fans can convince Tubelis that they're sorry and to come back we now might have a legit backcourt that can set him up for better possessions inside. Couple more solid pieces + Tubelis and we might have a shot at competing for a Pac championship.
We need a lengthy, athletic, aggressive forward that can guard 1-4. I don't know who's out there that can match that but I can wish.

Edit: Didn't know Steve Kerr had a podcast.
Mike Luke's burner account.
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

PHXCATS wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 7:22 pm
Merkin wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 7:04 pm
PHXCATS wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 6:40 pm No his post was incredibly bad. Yeah he can improve in some areas but he is an amazing offensive player as is right now. Scary to think how much better he can but but as of today he is an incredible game changer

And Merk is so obsessed
2. Who is the one poster here who posts tweets regarding players leaving over fan behavior with no evidence to back it?

1. Can't guard anyone athletic, can't use his right hand, can't make an outside shot, but runs the court well, has an awesome left hand, and has great fundamentals.
Kerr said it on his podcast....Hello McFly
Kerr was joking. Find something else to be irrationally upset over. Shouldn’t be difficult.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

TucsonCat wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 6:15 pm Honestly, I hate how slow it is on our message boards during the off-season. I love all things AZ, and can’t get enough talk about the season that just ended, the potential recruits, the hopes for next season, etc. At times, during the off-season, it is like a literal ghost town in here. I end up visiting other schools’ message boards, just to get my fix. (Yes, I’m a college basketball obsessed nerd…) Oddly, a good example of a school whose message board is hopping all time is Tennessee. As delusional as those fans are, they love to talk college basketball. It’s fun just to go over there and laugh at their crazy takes, because there are literally hundreds of new posts every single day. Their game day threads can have thousands of posts! I long for the days when our message boards were a little more like that.

Having said that, super happy with the Bradley pick up. An actual pass-first guard, who is unlikely to jack up a ton of crazy three point shots, but instead push to get to the hoop. And, a defensive stud…? Yes please!
The other AZ message boards that I have looked at are so hard to navigate. Or every topic is premium. Or I’m bombarded with pop-upss. I don’t see how anyone can read them.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

Boswell and Bradley can be a good duo between their defense and different offense skills. Arizona didn’t have a guard that could drive to the basket and score. It be nice to have one again.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
TucsonCat

Post by TucsonCat »

Postmaster wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 10:55 pm
TucsonCat wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 6:15 pm Honestly, I hate how slow it is on our message boards during the off-season. I love all things AZ, and can’t get enough talk about the season that just ended, the potential recruits, the hopes for next season, etc. At times, during the off-season, it is like a literal ghost town in here. I end up visiting other schools’ message boards, just to get my fix. (Yes, I’m a college basketball obsessed nerd…) Oddly, a good example of a school whose message board is hopping all time is Tennessee. As delusional as those fans are, they love to talk college basketball. It’s fun just to go over there and laugh at their crazy takes, because there are literally hundreds of new posts every single day. Their game day threads can have thousands of posts! I long for the days when our message boards were a little more like that.

Having said that, super happy with the Bradley pick up. An actual pass-first guard, who is unlikely to jack up a ton of crazy three point shots, but instead push to get to the hoop. And, a defensive stud…? Yes please!
The other AZ message boards that I have looked at are so hard to navigate. Or every topic is premium. Or I’m bombarded with pop-upss. I don’t see how anyone can read them.
I agree. This is FAR AND AWAY the best AZ message board available. The posters here (for the most part) aren’t a bunch of kooks, the conversation is a bit more urbane, and the format is top notch. I just wish there was a LOT more conversation. Then again, like I said, I’m a little obsessed with UofA basketball, and I need my fix numerous times a day… 😂

The “other” boards I was referencing were for teams across the country. It’s shocking how active some of them are.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Certainly miss Chi and Spiff but it's still pretty darn good less the eye-rolling squabbles that break out every now and then.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Honestly I check this board many times a day and have done so since its inception and before that when we were on Go Azcats. I'm continually amazed and appreciate the breadth of discussions here and the obvious intellect of almost all of you.

I do think some posters who have left took something with them, but at the same time some of those who left were unnecessarily aggressive and bitter at anyone who had a nuanced opinion with which they differed. So overall, I don't miss them much because the dickness factor was high at times.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
TucsonCat

Post by TucsonCat »

Ahhh… the good old GoAZCats days… I remember them well. That’s back when I was still writing for the now-defunct CatTracks magazine, with Brad Allis. Good times!
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I recall the online Cat Tracks, but left to go to Goazcats when Ben Hansen did. Just too many annoying posters like TriangleAndToo at Cat Tracks. I had already left Tucson when Brad was pushing his magazine. Still see posts from him now and then on Facebook.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

6'3" with good handles, can drive to the basket, solid perimeter defender, but questionable shooter. This description reminds me of Mustafa Shakur. With Boswell, who is a solid shooter, but needs to improve his driving ability and defense, that's a solid backcourt with Bradley and Larrson as a swing player.

Been hearing rumors Zu may be back. I think it depends on what kind of NIL money he can get. If it's close to what he can make in Europe, why not stay in Tucson one more year, possibly graduate, and have fun one more year as a college student?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

AzCatFan2 wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 9:14 am and have fun one more year as a college student?
I think we can all agree college was a great experience, but some players just do not like going to classes and doing homework. Especially when you are ESL and have to deal with culture changes besides language.

Believe that's why Chance Comanche left, although language and culture were not an issue, just didn't like going to class.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Merkin wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 10:12 am
Believe that's why Chance Comanche left, although language and culture were not an issue, just didn't like going to class.
He and Grant Jerrett were the two early departures that surprised me most during the Miller years.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Beachcat97 wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 10:19 am
Merkin wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 10:12 am
He and Grant Jerrett were the two early departures that surprised me most during the Miller years.
Jerrett was the most damaging, too. That 2014 team probably handles the loss of BAsh much better with Jerrett, a similar stretch 4. Would have allowed AG to continue to destroy the 3 with all kinds of match up issues.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

AzCatFan2 wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 9:14 am 6'3" with good handles, can drive to the basket, solid perimeter defender, but questionable shooter. This description reminds me of Mustafa Shakur. With Boswell, who is a solid shooter, but needs to improve his driving ability and defense, that's a solid backcourt with Bradley and Larrson as a swing player.

Been hearing rumors Zu may be back. I think it depends on what kind of NIL money he can get. If it's close to what he can make in Europe, why not stay in Tucson one more year, possibly graduate, and have fun one more year as a college student?
I didn’t see anything about dribbling off his shoe or stepping out of bounds…..
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Don’t commanche get to the nba this year?
arizonawildcats

Post by arizonawildcats »

25:20
Last edited by arizonawildcats on Thu May 04, 2023 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

Jerrett thought he was NBA ready. He did get a cup of coffee in the Association, but never stuck around. I think a couple of 10-day contracts at best. One more year at Arizona, and he would have been drafted. Maybe even first round, with a guaranteed contract.

And yes, some don't like being students. But Zu has been here for 3 years, and could have left to play professionally in Europe last year. And if his options are the same this year, another year in Tucson versus pro in Europe, what has changed between now and 2022? Maybe last year Zu thought he still had a shot at the NBA with a solid campaign in Tucson? And now, that seems more out of reach than ever?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Postmaster wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 11:46 am Don’t commanche get to the nba this year?
Did get a cup of coffee when Portland lost a lot of players to injuries, so does have one game in the NBA to tell his grandkids about.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

arizonawildcats wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 11:46 am 25:20
Arizona Basketball adds Alabama Transfer Jaden Bradley
by Eric Townsend 23 hours ag
https://zonazealots.com/2023/05/03/ariz ... n-bradley/
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Hope he makes better decisions at Arizona than at Bama.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

U.P. Zona Fan wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 4:58 am Hope he makes better decisions at Arizona than at Bama.
Unless, and until, he significantly improves, he's a clear step-down from Kerr, though his defense is apparently already better...
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

pc in NM wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 9:33 am
U.P. Zona Fan wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 4:58 am Hope he makes better decisions at Arizona than at Bama.
Unless, and until, he significantly improves, he's a clear step-down from Kerr, though his defense is apparently already better...
You have to look at in terms of complimenting Boswell. I think our backcourt just got an upgrade.

We finally have a guard that will take it to the whole. Something that was sorely missed last year. And his defense is also a step up from Kerr.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

EastCoastCat wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 9:43 am We finally have a guard that will take it to the whole. Something that was sorely missed last year. And his defense is also a step up from Kerr.

Exactly, and he is not a chucker like Kriisa. Just the ability to drive to the basket is a major improvement. Didn't Kriisa take something like a total of 17 2 point shots during his 3 years at Arizona? How many free throws did he take that weren't in the the act of attempting a 3 point shot?

But most certainly Kriisa is a better 3 point shooter, and has better court vision.

Cats still need a scorer.
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

Bradley is also only coming in as a sophomore already having experience on a top level team. He possibly has major room for improvement. We already knew what we were getting from Kerr.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

KillerKlown wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 9:53 am Bradley is also only coming in as a sophomore already having steadily declining experience on a top level team. He possibly has major room for improvement. We already knew what we were getting from Kerr.
I fixed it for you...

I think it's best to be objective and honest in our appraisals. Good way to avoid projecting our own disappointments onto judgments of young guys doing their best...

I hope the hopes expressed here prove to be correct - but, it will require tolerance and patience from fans (in short supply around here!) as he works to fit in and change some core competencies.

BTFD! I say!
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
TucsonCat

Post by TucsonCat »

Look, I liked Krissa, but his freshman year stats were not exactly those of a world beater. He averaged 5.5 points, 2.3 assists (vs 1.3 turnovers), and 0.5 rebounds, in 22.2 minutes per game. All while shooting a stellar 33.3% from the field, and 36.3% from the three point line. All on a team that wasn’t exactly a juggernaut. In the meantime, a freshman Bradley averaged 6.4 points, 3.1 assists (vs 1.7 turnovers), and 2.6 rebounds in only 19.6 minutes per game. All while shooting 39.2% from the field, and 31.8% from the three point line, on a team that was the consensus number one squad for a large part of the year. Bradley has better court vision, is a MUCH better defender, and is strong as a bull, which allows him to draw a lot of fouls. Will he get hot from the outside, like Kerr did? Maybe not, but he is also going to be far more consistent in stuffing the stat sheet with positive results. And he has plenty of growth opportunity, which is something that Krissa was quickly running out of. As much as I liked having a player like Krissa on our team, Bradley is a potential massive upgrade. Especially for the long term. (And hopefully we will have a point guard that won’t average close to one technical foul, per game…)
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Need an update on Olivier Nkamhoua. He'd be an excellent addition.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Beachcat97 wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 11:25 am Need an update on Olivier Nkamhoua. He'd be an excellent addition.
Wait and be patient.
Dave

Post by Dave »

I heard he was most likely going the professional route. He was just invited to the NBA G League Elite Camp.
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

pc in NM wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 10:03 am
KillerKlown wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 9:53 am Bradley is also only coming in as a sophomore already having steadily declining experience on a top level team. He possibly has major room for improvement. We already knew what we were getting from Kerr.
I fixed it for you...

I think it's best to be objective and honest in our appraisals. Good way to avoid projecting our own disappointments onto judgments of young guys doing their best...

I hope the hopes expressed here prove to be correct - but, it will require tolerance and patience from fans (in short supply around here!) as he works to fit in and change some core competencies.

BTFD! I say!
I agree.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Dave wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 12:02 pm I heard he was most likely going the professional route. He was just invited to the NBA G League Elite Camp.
So was Pelle. Getting invited here means you weren't selected for the combine. Some of those players will soon be looking to come back to their universities or a new home.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Dave wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 12:02 pm I heard he was most likely going the professional route. He was just invited to the NBA G League Elite Camp.
Pelle Larsson was invited to the G camp too, but no one expects Larsson to get drafted. Make more money from NIL than he would from a G league salary or overseas.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Elaborate, please.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

He was with Brandon Miller for the delivery of the firearm used by Darius Miles.

Last thing I want to see is anyone, but esp our guys getting into no win, life altering situations that are completely avoidable.

I'm sure Tommy did his homework. Don't need any off court distractions, we could still get Tubelis back. We could have a great season, I am pumped about having a slasher that can be a threat to put it up, dump it off, pass out, or get to the line.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

Any news here? Or waiting until draft analysis complete?
bri

Post by bri »

pc in NM wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 10:03 am
I fixed it for you...

BTFD! I say!
Before the shooting/murder that he witnessed he was 43% shooting, after 21%...Decline or life altering traumatic event?
arizonawildcats

San Diego State transfer forward Keshad Johnson listed Arizona among five choices for his next destination and is expected to visit the Wildcats.

Johnson also listed Texas Tech, USC, Oklahoma and Kentucky. He took a visit to USC last month.

A 6-7, 225-pound veteran of four seasons at SDSU, Johnson started at power forward for the Aztecs during their run to the national championship game last season. He averaged 7.7 points, 5.0 rebounds while shooting 53.2% overall and 26.2% from 3-point range.

Johnson's two-point percentage of 59.1% ranked 232nd nationally, according to Kenpom while his offensive and defensive rebounding percentage both ranked in the top 500.

Johnson could fill the hybrid forward spot vacated by Cedric Henderson. Arizona also has two forwards in the NBA Draft pool, Azuolas Tubelis and Pelle Larsson, though Larsson is expected to return to the Wildcats next season.

If Larsson returns and Tubelis does not, the Wildcats have eight scholarship players as of now for 2023-24.

Johnson faced the Wildcats last season in the semifinals of the Maui Invitational, collecting eight points and five rebounds in UA's 87-70 win.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Bear down, Keshad!
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

arizonawildcats

Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

If it's truly between us and Oklahoma, I love our chances. I say this not knowing if KJ has ties to OU.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

84Cat wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 6:03 pm
Help me. Why is he considered “major?” What am I missing?
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

• athletic
  • Physical
  • Defensive versatility
  • Length
  • Played for high level team
  • Leadership
  • Been to the biggest stage
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Frybry02 wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 5:29 pm
84Cat wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 6:03 pm
Help me. Why is he considered “major?” What am I missing?
He provides things that we don't have on the roster at the moment.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 3:10 pm If it's truly between us and Oklahoma, I love our chances. I say this not knowing if KJ has ties to OU.
This guy has had the juice all transfer portal season. Not sure who he is, but he's very keyed in.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

If Veesaar takes a step up like I think he will and Pelle starts, I do wonder how many minutes he might get or if 20-25 minutes a gane for him would be enough?
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

azcat49 wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 7:48 am If Veesaar takes a step up like I think he will and Pelle starts, I do wonder how many minutes he might get or if 20-25 minutes a gane for him would be enough?
I definitely expect Veesaar to make the sophomore leap. He showed flashes this past season, and once he starts getting more minutes/reps, he's going to start improving quickly.

And yeah, Pelle has two options: start at AZ or play pro ball overseas.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Beachcat97 wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 11:53 am
azcat49 wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 7:48 am If Veesaar takes a step up like I think he will and Pelle starts, I do wonder how many minutes he might get or if 20-25 minutes a gane for him would be enough?
I definitely expect Veesaar to make the sophomore leap. He showed flashes this past season, and once he starts getting more minutes/reps, he's going to start improving quickly.

And yeah, Pelle has two options: start at AZ or play pro ball overseas.
I'm waiting for pictures on Henri's weight gain, and shows of strength!! BTFD!!!

― Kinky Friedman
Dave

Post by Dave »

Henri needs to do legs workouts all summer long. Tons of squats!